The Smithville Seminoles opened their season on Friday night in come from behind fashion. Down 26-14 in the closing minutes of the third quarter, the Noles rallied to score 21 unanswered points for a 35-26 season-opening win. “It was looking pretty bleak there for a little while,” Smithville coach Chad Collums said. “Our boys never […]
BY BRANDON SPECK Daily Journal ABERDEEN – Aberdeen lost its season-opener, but may have found something in the process. The Bulldogs, who fell from No. 1 to No. 3 in the Daily Journal’s small school rankings, lost 21-20 to No. 2 large school Corinth. As the schedule doesn’t let up this week at New Hope, […]
Aberdeen was kicking itself the next morning. Corinth kicked off the season Friday night by beating the Journal’s No. 1 small school 21-20. After Memphis-commit Jerrick Orr’s 35-yard touchdown catch with 24 seconds to play at Lester Miley Stadium, Aberdeen went for two – for the third time – and Corinth’s Javen Morrison knocked away […]
Trailing 20-6 going into the fourth quarter, the Nettleton Tigers tried to mount a comeback that fell just short in the closing minutes of the game. “When we cut it to 20-18, we got the ball back and had a chance to go ahead,” Nettleton coach Mike Scott said. “We just couldn’t move the ball […]
According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, the reward for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for shooting Monroe County deputy Eric Sloan Monday has increased to $7,000. Anyone with any information is asked to call the MCSO at 369-2468.
Gentiva Home Health and Hospice will conclude its 11th annual food drive benefiting the county’s food pantries at the end of August. Throughout the month, drop-off locations have been available in Aberdeen, Amory and Smithville. Gentiva is part of the Kindred at Home family of home healthcare, and last year’s food drive yielded 838,000 pounds […]
AMORY – Traci Dobbs with the Department of Human Services is asking the city to help find foster homes for Monroe County children who need a place to stay. “We have 65 children and 15 foster homes. That means we have to go outside the area, which cuts the children off from familiar surroundings,” said […]
ABERDEEN – Representatives of Monroe Gas Storage chose not to be present at the Aug. 21 board of supervisors meeting, but rather sent an objection to the facility’s 2015 tax assessment, which the board overruled. Owners of the facility filed for a reduction of assessment to $20 million with the county, a $6 million decrease […]
By CAROLYN PARSON /For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The biggest discussion of the Aug. 18 board of aldermen meeting centered around the city’s comp time policy for employees. The current policy states that employees take comp time within 30 days of acquiring the time. Mayor Cecile Belle said that the 30-day policy isn’t adequate […]
- One for the legend, two the memories: Son of the late Carl Perkins shares a little about his rockabilly daddy August 21, 2015
- Lady Panthers strike early against Mantachie August 25, 2015
- Reward increases to $4,000 in shooting case August 25, 2015
- No matter how fast you go, it’ll still be there by the time you get there August 26, 2015
- Speed monitor purchase seeks to raise leadfoot awareness August 26, 2015
- Noles come from behind against Cards August 27, 2015
- Bulldogs build up depth at quarterback August 27, 2015
- Bulldogs’ rally comes up just short August 27, 2015
- Tigers’ comeback over Okolona falls short August 27, 2015
- Reward increases to $7,000 in shooter case August 27, 2015
- Michael: That's why we need better sidewalks and crosswalk...
- Body of missing Bartlett fisherman found - Bartlett ExpressBartlett Express: […] an earlier story about the search effort...
- Helen Whitten: How would itawamba county go about getting these r...
- debbie jones: Why in the world is the bond so low? Is $5000 all ...
- Linda: These folks were operating in Nashville several ye...
Monroe County, MS
City of Aberdeen
City of Amory
Monroe County Chamber of Commerce
Tombigbee Regional Library
Social Security Disability Attorney
Auto Accidents Attorney
Mayfield Law Firm
Thames Family Dentistry