Results released by the Mississippi Department of Education on Oct. 17 show that two-thirds of Mississippi’s kindergarten students are not actually prepared for kindergarten at all. The results will be used by proponents to call for more state spending on pre-kindergarten classes to help students improve before reaching the third grade, when they will be […]
Amory, Aberdeen and Monroe County school districts will each keep their 2013 ranks due to a waiver that does not require them to claim the letter-grade rankings based on student performance on state tests and graduation rates from last year. The Mississippi Department of Education provided the waiver because of the switch to the Common […]
Throughout the entire alcohol issue in Amory, I would casually let people know I didn’t have a dog in that fight when the conversation pointed at that. I could see positives from both sides of the fence and wasn’t afraid to say that alcohol being an economic savior for the town and a complete demoralizer […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON New Albany Gazette INGOMAR – Lane Kennedy and Breanna Edgeworth supplied the home runs when Smithville needed a big hit and helped the Lady Noles to a 2-0 sweep of Ingomar in the opening round of slow pitch playoffs on Thursday. Kennedy hit a two-run homer in game one and a leadoff […]
HAMILTON – Hamilton’s Hailee Jones has thrived on seeing her teammate Addie Thompson intentionally walked in front of her. Jones, a junior first baseman, blasted three home runs in that situation on Tuesday as the Lady Lions swept Myrtle 11-4, 16-0 in the first round of the Class 1A slow-pitch playoffs. “I just want to […]
NETTLETON – Nettleton coach Dana Rhea crossed two numbers off his list on Thursday night. “We started today eight wins away from our goal,” Rhea said. “We’re counting down and finding something to get our minds on the goal. It’s something we can have fun and relax with.” The Lady Tigers (26-4) trimmed that number […]
The Itawamba Community College Homecoming Court will be presented, Saturday Oct. 25, at 11:30 a.m. in the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus and during halftime of the before the ICC/Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College football game, which begins at 3:30 p.m. The 2014 Itawamba Community College Homecoming Court […]
HATLEY – Only one person qualified for the Hately alderman race, and will automatically filled the alderman seat formerly held by George King, who took the position of mayor after the passing of Pete Vaughn in August. “Sandra Vaughn, the widow of the former Hatley mayor Pete Vaughn, is the only person who applied for […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Robert Tyler Myers, 31, of Hamilton Oct. 18. The arrest was the result of a traffic stop on Cockerham Road. Myers is charged with felony possession of a controlled substance. Bond has not been set and subject is still in custody at Monroe County Detention Center.
The Amory Police Department arrested Secresha Lana Elliott, 23, and Rycardo Kentrell Morgan, 23, both of Amory. The two were charged with retaliation against a witness. According to reports filed by the APD, the incident happened Oct. 13 on F Avenue. Bond for both subjects was set at $5,000.00 by Judge Kevin Crook.
ABERDEEN – There was no family history of breast cancer in Barbara Ann Rowe’s genes, but there was the history of being raised by a tough mother and tough father. That same raising could have been what allowed her to skip four stages of grief and just accept the fact she was diagnosed with breast […]
The Mississippi Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, which aims to serve uninsured, medically underserved, minority and elderly women, is a year round service that is experiencing an increase in the number of women who need help. “We get at least 20 or more women per month. A lot of people just don’t have […]
AMORY – Carrie Wall grew up on a farm near Columbus, where her family raised nearly everything they ate. “We had all kinds of fresh vegetables and meats, milk, butter and fruit,” said Wall. “We also had an overflowing well.” When she married at an early age, she said she didn’t know much about cooking. […]
AMORY – It was a somber occasion at Oct. 7′s Monroe County Board of Education meeting as Superintendent of Education Scott Cantrell talked briefly about the loss of friend and board member, Don Self of Hamilton. Self was killed in a farming accident on Oct. 1. Self was an animated member of the board and […]
BECKER – For the third quarter’s Monroe County Local Emergency Planning Committee, Guy Morgan of Kinder Morgan’s natural gas division led a meeting about pipelines that stressed one thing especially – calling before digging. “All it takes is a homeowner putting in a new mailbox and throwing a pair of posthole diggers in the ground […]
- Unofficial results indicate Amory will remain dry October 15, 2014
- Nettleton woman arrested for Possession of Ice October 17, 2014
- Cancer proves to be Rowe’s blessing from a curse October 20, 2014
- Program serves underserved, underinsured candidates October 20, 2014
- Wall believes in quality and healthy food October 19, 2014
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education October 22, 2014
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings October 22, 2014
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. October 22, 2014
- Kennedy, Edgeworth power Smithville in first round win October 21, 2014
- Jones gets revenge for Myrtle’s walks October 21, 2014
- kyle ruff: I miss you...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education http://t.co/eiI59nPUnI 7 hours ago
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings http://t.co/5vwgaIHpEW 7 hours ago
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. http://t.co/faPKpA9eon 7 hours ago
- ICC to present Homecoming Court Saturday http://t.co/dnqnXXbzVB 1 day ago
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman http://t.co/p4M3Y1mlMc 1 day ago