MARIETTA – Hatley is finally heading to the postseason. The longest tenured school in Northeast Mississippi without a playoff appearance, Hatley (5-5, 2-2 Division 1-2A) sealed its first in school history with a 20-14 win over New Site on Thursday. “These young men have come so far in two years. It’s amazing what they’ve bought […]
FALKNER – Falkner and Smithville slugged it out to the end to gain an edge in a tight Division 1-1A race. Jeramie Lawrence’s 42-yard touchdown with 2:25 to go lifted Falkner (6-3, 4-2) to a 26-19 win over Smithville to put them back in the hunt to host first round. “I thought when he made […]
According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, bond was set for two subjects arrested Oct. 24 after deputies responded to a disturbance call. Bond for 40-year-old Shelby Gray was set at $40,000 by Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes while Fowlkes revoked bond for 31-year-old Wesley Curt James. The two, along with 22-year-old Kim […]
After Friday’s surprising 38-12 loss to Coldwater, Hamilton finds itself with its back against the wall along with county rival Smithville into securing one of the final playoff spots. It marked back-to-back shocking wins for the Cougars, who edged out Falkner the week before. “We had too many turnovers, and we didn’t play very well,” […]
Halloween is an exciting time of year for kids, and to help ensure they have a safe holiday, here are some tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). All dressed up • Plan costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure that shoes fit well and that costumes are short enough to prevent tripping, […]
ABERDEEN – Monroe County 911 Director Bunky Goza approached the board of supervisors Friday for permission to purchase components of a new 911 system to replace the county’s current obsolete system. The new system, which includes a new mapping system, a computer automated design program, a new backing system and a new call taking system, […]
ABERDEEN – While a trip to the hospital can sometimes be frightful, Pioneer Community Hospital will give parents peace of mind with candy X-rays on Halloween. The free service will be from 6 until 8 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 31. Trick-or-treaters can enter through the lobby and someone will assist them to the radiology department […]
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – The United States Postal Service released its first semipostal stamp in 1998, dedicated to raising money and awareness for breast cancer research. Since 1998, the stamp has raised $80,306,547 for breast cancer research. The USPS Mississippi District is leading the nation again this year in breast cancer stamp sales. […]
RIDGELAND – Smithville’s five seniors – Lane Kennedy, Breanna Edgeworth, Laken Armstrong, Claire McNeese and Ashtyn Hensley – capped off a stellar slow-pitch softball career by adding their third state championship in four years. The Lady Noles (30-6) grabbed a two-game sweep of Sebastopol, 5-1 and 12-8, to win Class 1A again after back-to-back titles […]
By Gene Phelps and Melissa Meador Daily Journal RIDGELAND – Harley Tucker, the bases filled with Nettleton base runners, belted a screaming line drive deep to center field at Freedom Ridge Park. She needed it to go 250 feet. Instead it traveled about 248 and into the glove of Philadelphia outfielder Kenyatta Moore for the […]
By Brandon Speck and Melissa Meador Monroe Journal RIDGELAND – The big hit eluded Hatley. Errors did not. East Webster took advantage and won the first slow-pitch championship in school history. East Webster swept Hatley, 7-3 and 1-0 in the Class 2A state championship series on Saturday at Freedom Ridge Park. “Second game, we really […]
RIDGELAND – Errors plagued Amory at the wrong time in its Class 4A slow-pitch softball state championship loss on Saturday. Newton County (32-3) capitalized on four Amory (27-9) errors in the last two innings of a back-and-forth Game 1 for a 10-7 win, then rode 10 Lady Panther miscues to a 16-1 five-inning victory in […]
ABERDEEN – Aberdeen Building Official David Low addressed the board of aldermen Oct. 21 regarding the skating rink on N. Thayer Avenue, which he insisted the way it’s zoned, will exclusively be a skating rink before a letter of occupancy is granted. “The skating rink was shut down due to insufficiencies. They fixed the insufficiencies. […]
AMORY – Amory City Clerk Lee Barnett presented the certified results from the Oct. 14 alcohol referendum, which proved to be a close race, at the regular-called city board meeting Oct. 21. A total of 2,403 votes were cast on the liquor issue and a total of 2,198 were cast on the light wine and […]
After months of adapting a script, scouting abandoned structures and backdrops predominantly Monroe County and filming a localized take on the internet sensation known as the Slender Man, the feature film bearing its name officially premiered last week in Tupelo to positive reviews. Monroe County natives Dylan Scott and Ryan Savage joined creative forces with […]
- Miss Mississippi State University crowned at best time to be a Bulldog October 24, 2014
- The Windows taking applications for fifth annual holiday market October 28, 2014
- Main Street Moment: The holidays are upon us October 29, 2014
- Locally made indie horror film arrives in time for Halloween October 29, 2014
- Certified results of alcohol referendum released October 29, 2014
- Tigers secure trip to postseason October 30, 2014
- Noles fall at Falkner October 30, 2014
- Bond set for two subjects charged in recent ICE bust October 30, 2014
- Lions shocked by Coldwater, lose ground in division race October 30, 2014
- Safety tips important for Halloween October 30, 2014
- Charlotte: Heartbroken taking my kids there every week, means...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Bond set for two subjects charged in recent ICE bust http://t.co/yHYzef2FQI 7 hours ago
- RT @cityofamoryMS: @monroe360 5-7 Frisco Park Funraiser Festival! Chili Cookoff, pumpkins, entertainment, Trick-or-Treat, costume contest, … 9 hours ago retweeted via cityofamoryMS
- Safety tips important for Halloween http://t.co/nJirG1Fv2C 14 hours ago
- Supervisors OK new 911 system, opt out of building codes http://t.co/LwLXAhscTL 14 hours ago
- Pioneer offers candy X-rays http://t.co/oyIRmrJonw 14 hours ago