RIDGELAND – Nettleton struck first in the second game of the Class 3A fast pitch state championship series but St. Patrick picked up where it left off on Friday, pounding out 20 hits for a 15-6 win to repeat as champions. “I really liked the way we came out today and played harder. We just [...]
According to a statement from the Amory Police Department, Monroe County Circuit Court Judge James L. Roberts has ordered Larry T. Lee, 52, of 60180 Hatley Detroit Rd, be held without bond pending a hearing in Circuit Court on a motion to revoke the $5000 bond on charges filed earlier this year by the Monroe [...]
Following small turnouts for the last few years, 2013 Monroe County Relay For Life co-chairs Lisa Gentry and Mollye Walsh plan to make this year’s June 14 event a celebration that everyone will want to attend in order to raise money for the American Cancer Society. “This is a rebuilding year for us. It will [...]
Amory and Nettleton were among 11 Northeast Mississippi municipalities holding runoffs. AMORY (FINAL) Mayor (winner) • Brad J. Blalock, D 1210 – 63% • Thomas Griffith, D 696 – 37% Alderman at Large (winner) • Tyrone James, D 994 – 53% • Sylvia Roberts Patterson, D 904 – 47% NETTLETON (FINAL) Alderman Ward 2 • [...]
For the Monroe Journal Aberdeen School District conservator Bob Strebeck confirmed that coach Roy E. Hazzle will not return as Aberdeen High School’s basketball coach for the 2013-2014 school year. “He has not done anything wrong. We’re going in the direction the district needs to move in by having a fulltime coach who can teach [...]
MOOREVILLE – Nettleton’s sixth straight trip to the MHSAA 3A fast pitch softball state championship came through a familiar foe in rival Mooreville. The Lady Tigers took a decisive Game 3 13-7, pounding out 20 hits on the road on Tuesday night to win the North state championship. “There’s not enough words to say how [...]
ABERDEEN – Ahead of another warm season of trimming landscapes, Aberdeen officials ask homeowners to cooperate with the process of debris removal. “Please bag what you can to the best of your abilities to make it easier for our crews to clean up. The city is going to make every effort to keep the streets [...]
ABERDEEN – The Amory Dance Centre will present its spring dance recital, “This Beauty is a Beast,” at the Elkin Theatre in on May 25 at 7 p.m. “The first act will be an assortment of hip hop, contemporary and tap numbers all set to “girl power” songs. The second act of the show will [...]
OKOLONA – Some of the Amory assistant coaches clearly remember a 2011 beatdown in the spring football game by Bruce – the same season the Panthers turned around in the fall and reached the 4A North title game. After a 32-6 loss to Okolona, the Panthers will have plenty to learn from in this year’s [...]
According to a release from the Amory Police Department, Brady M. Thompson, 20, of Amory was arrested for Burglary of a Vehicle and Larceny. Bond was set at $10,000 on the Burglary and $500 on the Larceny by Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes. He also has hold for Mississippi Department of Corrections Probation. [...]
An Amory man has been arrested for allegedly stealing music equipment from a residence Saturday on Athens Quincy Road, according to a press release from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office. On May 18, MCSO deputies arrested James Glenn Reese, 22, of Amory. Reese is charged with grand larceny and malicious mischief. Reese is currently being [...]
The Travel Channel show, ‘Burger Land’ will premiere its episode, Old Miss Burgers, Monday at 8 p.m., which features a select few north Mississippi hamburger restaurants. Host George Motz was in Amory in February filming a segment for the episode at Bill’s Hamburgers. Encore episodes air this week at 11 p.m. Monday, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday [...]
AMORY – Richard Murry opened the first Wheel City in Verona in 1989, but came to Amory in 1994 at the suggestion of a customer. “After the guy commented that Amory needed a tire business, I researched it and it looked good,” Murry said. Originally from Blue Mountain, Murry also opened a Wheel City in [...]
ABERDEEN – In a somber ceremony Thursday, April 18, cadets from Aberdeen High School’s JROTC program paid tribute to former AHS JROTC cadet, Sgt. Adam Ray, who was killed in Afghanistan in 2010. “It meant a lot to me to be a part of this. This ceremony made me realize we’re honoring a hero. After [...]
- Public voices concerns about declining neighborhoods May 16, 2013
- Amory School Board Special-Called Meeting May 16, 2013
- KaBOOM! playground officially dedicated May 15, 2013
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office launches Cyber Crimes Unit May 16, 2013
- Panthers get jump on 2013 season with spring game May 20, 2013
- Lady Irish strike early in sweep of Lady Tigers May 22, 2013
- MCSO pays tribute to tornado victims May 22, 2013
- Bond revoked for convicted sex offender May 22, 2013
- We Care: Relay for Life aims to pull county together for fight against cancer May 22, 2013
- Obituaries May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013
- Annette: No he probably don't live on 5th. Nor 7th. He's ...
- Gary Carr: David do u live on 5th or 7th ave...
- Mark Steves: We can’t deny how a tragic accident can affect o...
- Annette: Spreaded all over everywhere is gonna look as stup...
- Annette: David it's nothing to you if I don't take the ti...
- MCSO pays tribute to tornado victims http://t.co/EZsnwFI7jO 36 mins ago
- Bond revoked for convicted sex offender http://t.co/MTbj8W3F8K 4 hours ago
- We Care: Relay for Life aims to pull county together for fight against cancer http://t.co/dB23pXBhuu 4 hours ago
- Obituaries May 22, 2013 http://t.co/VPOAdyDf3F 9 hours ago
- Runoff Election results 2013 http://t.co/nboA7QN4np 18 hours ago