Voters in Amory, Baldwyn and Shannon will choose mayors and Booneville will narrow its mayoral field for the general election in party primary runoffs today. They are among 11 Northeast Mississippi municipalities holding runoffs. Tupelo is not one of them; the two-man mayor’s race will be decided in the June 4 general election. Polls open [...]
For the Monroe Journal Aberdeen School District conservator Bob Strebeck confirmed that coach Roy E. Hazzle will not return as Aberdeen High School’s basketball coach for the 2013-2014 school year. “He has not done anything wrong. We’re going in the direction the district needs to move in by having a fulltime coach who can teach [...]
MOOREVILLE – Nettleton’s sixth straight trip to the MHSAA 3A fast pitch softball state championship came through a familiar foe in rival Mooreville. The Lady Tigers took a decisive Game 3 13-7, pounding out 20 hits on the road on Tuesday night to win the North state championship. “There’s not enough words to say how [...]
ABERDEEN – Ahead of another warm season of trimming landscapes, Aberdeen officials ask homeowners to cooperate with the process of debris removal. “Please bag what you can to the best of your abilities to make it easier for our crews to clean up. The city is going to make every effort to keep the streets [...]
ABERDEEN – The Amory Dance Centre will present its spring dance recital, “This Beauty is a Beast,” at the Elkin Theatre in on May 25 at 7 p.m. “The first act will be an assortment of hip hop, contemporary and tap numbers all set to “girl power” songs. The second act of the show will [...]
OKOLONA – Some of the Amory assistant coaches clearly remember a 2011 beatdown in the spring football game by Bruce – the same season the Panthers turned around in the fall and reached the 4A North title game. After a 32-6 loss to Okolona, the Panthers will have plenty to learn from in this year’s [...]
According to a release from the Amory Police Department, Brady M. Thompson, 20, of Amory was arrested for Burglary of a Vehicle and Larceny. Bond was set at $10,000 on the Burglary and $500 on the Larceny by Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes. He also has hold for Mississippi Department of Corrections Probation. [...]
An Amory man has been arrested for allegedly stealing music equipment from a residence Saturday on Athens Quincy Road, according to a press release from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office. On May 18, MCSO deputies arrested James Glenn Reese, 22, of Amory. Reese is charged with grand larceny and malicious mischief. Reese is currently being [...]
The Travel Channel show, ‘Burger Land’ will premiere its episode, Old Miss Burgers, Monday at 8 p.m., which features a select few north Mississippi hamburger restaurants. Host George Motz was in Amory in February filming a segment for the episode at Bill’s Hamburgers. Encore episodes air this week at 11 p.m. Monday, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday [...]
AMORY – Richard Murry opened the first Wheel City in Verona in 1989, but came to Amory in 1994 at the suggestion of a customer. “After the guy commented that Amory needed a tire business, I researched it and it looked good,” Murry said. Originally from Blue Mountain, Murry also opened a Wheel City in [...]
ABERDEEN – In a somber ceremony Thursday, April 18, cadets from Aberdeen High School’s JROTC program paid tribute to former AHS JROTC cadet, Sgt. Adam Ray, who was killed in Afghanistan in 2010. “It meant a lot to me to be a part of this. This ceremony made me realize we’re honoring a hero. After [...]
AMORY – Juanita Floyd, vice president of finance/administration of CREATE Foundation, Inc. in Tupelo, was the featured speaker for the 2013 Administrative Professionals luncheon hosted by Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center April 24. Floyd has been employed with CREATE for 28 years. “As administrative professionals, you can make a difference in all the lives you [...]
ABERDEEN – To a crowd of parents, teachers and representatives of military-related entities, Aberdeen High School’s 69 Air Force JROTC cadets were front and center of their attention for its annual awards ceremony Thursday, April 18. “These are teenagers stepping up and doing more than some adults. They are our future and this is what [...]
ELLISTOWN – East Union pitcher Cody Bo Dillard did it all on Monday night in getting his team to the MHSAA Class 2A North state finals. The senior lefty picked up his second win against Hatley of the series and hit a fourth-inning grand slam for good measure in the Urchins’ 11-1 deciding Game 3 [...]
HATLEY – Each of the first two games of the MHSAA Class 2A baseball quarterfinals between East Union and Hatley has featured a dominating pitching performance. After a shutout from Hatley’s Russ Johnson in the first game, it was East Union’s Cody Bo Dillard who shut down the Tigers and got plenty of run support [...]
- Public voices concerns about declining neighborhoods May 16, 2013
- Amory School Board Special-Called Meeting May 16, 2013
- KaBOOM! playground officially dedicated May 15, 2013
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office launches Cyber Crimes Unit May 16, 2013
- Wheel City offers customers variety of cars to roll off the lot May 20, 2013
- Runoff Election results 2013 May 21, 2013
- Hazzle won’t return as the Bulldogs’ coach May 21, 2013
- Nettleton tops rival Mooreville for trip to state May 21, 2013
- Aberdeen officials ask residents to comply with trash ordinance May 21, 2013
- Amory Dance Centre takes spring recital to the Elkin May 21, 2013
- Annette: No he probably don't live on 5th. Nor 7th. He's ...
- Gary Carr: David do u live on 5th or 7th ave...
- Mark Steves: We can’t deny how a tragic accident can affect o...
- Annette: Spreaded all over everywhere is gonna look as stup...
- Annette: David it's nothing to you if I don't take the ti...
- Runoff Election results 2013 http://t.co/nboA7QN4np 4 hours ago
- Aberdeen officials ask residents to comply with trash ordinance http://t.co/Qlo6M4jHBe 10 hours ago
- Amory Dance Centre takes spring recital to the Elkin http://t.co/bQmxv94xim 10 hours ago
- Amory man charged with burglary of vehicle, larceny http://t.co/qj8ZWkvoaS 1 day ago
- Amory man charged with allegedly stealing music equipment http://t.co/0Ewt0IlVGR 1 day ago