After a tight loss at home to open Division 4-1A play against TCPS, Smithville rebounded on Thursday night with a 6-2 road win over their division rival to move into first place. Smithville coach Steve Kerr praised his team’s approach at the plate in the rematch and the start on the mound of senior Drew […]
AMORY – West Amory Elementary School has earned recognition for outstanding performance in advancing reading practice and fluency across mutiple grade levels. West Amory Elementary School was awarded Accelerated Reader Model and Master School certification by Renaissance Learning. Model and Master School Certification acknowledges that West Amory Elementary School’s efforts to promote personalized reading practice, […]
ABERDEEN – Monroe County has been named as the defendant in a complaint filed in Monroe County Circuit Court by plaintiff Joshua Brook Page of Aberdeen. Page alleges unnamed Monroe County Sheriff’s Office deputies tackled him to the ground, placed him in handcuffs and proceeded to mercilessly beat him while calling him an obscenity, according […]
For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The monthly booklunch at Evans Memorial Library is scheduled for April 16 after missing March due to Lenten Lunches. The guest speaker will be the popular Laurie Parker of Starkville who will discuss her first novel, “Matchstick Cross.” Parker is well-known for her children’s books, “Sweet Dreams Book,” “Mississippi […]
AMORY – Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center’s annual Easter Egg Hunt will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, April 19, in Frisco Park. The event is for children 18 months to 8 years old only. Arrival time is at 9:30 a.m. There are to be no early arrivals. There will also be an opportunity […]
Amory senior Bailey Boyd felt a sense of deja vu last Wednesday and Thursday while in Jackson for to receive her Lindy Callahan Scholar Athlete Award. The reason – Boyd had just experienced the same trip less than six months earlier when she and her slow-pitch softball teammates went to compete for a state championship […]
The Amory Police Department arrested Michael Lynn Andrew Spruill, 23, of Hamilton on charges of burglary of a vehicle, according to a release from the department. Spruill is currently being held at the Amory City Jail. Bond is expected to be set Monday.
Two inmates from the Monroe County Detention Center escaped from custody Sunday night at approximately 10:33, according to a release from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office. Inmates Ricky D. Otts, 35, of Aberdeen and Christopher Wade Henry, 26, of Steens escaped through a door at the back of the jail. Otts was apprehended by deputies […]
Several Monroe County Vocational Technical Center students recently competed in the Mississippi Technology Student Association. The 5057A robotics team is the TSA Vex Robotic State Champion, while the fashion design team also garners state champion status. The technology bowl team won third place. All three teams advance to the National TSA Conference in Washington. D.C., […]
AMORY – Amory High School’s horticulture program’s vegetable garden is seeking help from the community and friends by votes that could enable the group to receive a grant from Seeds of Change. Two $20,000 and 15 $10,000 grants will be awarded through the Seeds of Change Grant Program. Voting began April 1 and runs through […]
The Amory track team had a handful of finishers place at Saturday’s Daily Journal Relays at Tupelo High School. The meet was the final one for the team before their division meet at Pontotoc next Tuesday and Thursday. “It was a great day for our kids. We set personal records in almost every event we […]
AMORY – Mention the Amory Railroad Festival and the first thing popping into mind are apple fritters. People line up at Bethel Apostolic’s apple fritter booth waiting on fresh, hot apple fritters. It is rumored that people will come from Memphis and other areas to the Railroad Festival and leave with a bag of apple […]
HATLEY– Smithville’s Tyler Hood came out on the winning side of a county baseball pitching battle on Saturday against Hatley with his Seminoles taking the 6-2 win in the afternoon and completing the sweep with a 12-0 win that night. Hood allowed just five hits from the Tigers and struck out five while walking three, […]
AMORY – For the second night in a row, Amory rode a hot start to a win, this time splitting with Nettleton in a day/night doubleheader on Saturday. The Panthers led 8-2 after the second inning and held off Nettleton’s seventh inning rally for the 8-5 win. “We started off the game tonight doing a […]
BECKER – Mary Jo Kirkpatrick was recently named School of Nursing Administrator of the Year at the annual Nightingale Awards held in Jackson. The award is sponsored by the Mississippi Nurses’ Association and the Mississippi Nurses’ Foundation. Kirkpatrick, chair of the Mississippi University for Women’s Associate of Science in Nursing Program, has been a faculty […]
- County named in $500,000 lawsuit April 15, 2014
- Aberdeen adopts drug testing policy for part-time workers April 9, 2014
- Panthers sweep Shannon, even up division record April 11, 2014
- Fenstermacher named Red Rose Recipient April 12, 2014
- MUW’s Kirkpatrick honored with Nightingale Award April 12, 2014
- Noles take control in division with win at TCPS April 15, 2014
- WAES awarded AR Model and Master School certification April 15, 2014
- County named in $500,000 lawsuit April 15, 2014
- Parker to discuss first novel at Booklunch April 15, 2014
- Easter Egg Hunt set for April 19 April 15, 2014
- Ronald: The pic your looking at is a different a Joshua an...
- DSG: I don't see a scratch on him??? Was that picture ...
- Here for Now: It's not like at least half the town isn't drink...
- Isn\'t This the 21st Century: Bishop Freeman I've eaten at O'charleys, Chilis,...
- Open Your Mind: Actually Bishop Crump if you check New Albany, Wig...
- WAES awarded AR Model and Master School certification http://t.co/j0QxeEGs4T 10 hours ago
- County named in $500,000 lawsuit http://t.co/Oy3m5Efxus 11 hours ago
- Parker to discuss first novel at Booklunch http://t.co/tnhpJOppnR 15 hours ago
- Easter Egg Hunt set for April 19 http://t.co/jSGg89tSOp 15 hours ago
- Amory police arrest Hamilton man on vehicle burglary charges http://t.co/zmBca2sEww 1 day ago