The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office responded to a disturbance call Oct. 24 on Gray Drive, which resulted in the discovery of ICE. Shelby Gray, 40, Wesley Curt James, 31, and Kim James, 22, all of Amory were taken into custody and charged with possession of ICE. Bond has not been set at this time and […]
Winona (3-6, 2-1 Division 4-3A) at Aberdeen (6-3, 2-1 Division 4-3A) Last week: Louisville 37, Aberdeen 6; Winona 53, South Pontotoc 35…Josh Williams’ 20-yard TD run was the lone score of the game for the Bulldogs against Louisville…Aberdeen has not lost more than one division game since 2006…Williams was 6 of 14 passing for 128 […]
Hatley football has its eye on the prize – the first playoff appearance in school history. The Tigers got just a little bit closer to that goal on Friday night, topping Mantachie 19-7 for their first Division 1-2A victory of the season. Hatley led 6-0 in the first on Chance Lindsey’s 5-yard scoring run, but […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – Most high school football coaches would probably be concerned going into a division game with their top two quarterbacks sidelined. Not Smithville head coach Chad Collums as he called on his No. 3 quarterback Blake Comer to lead the Noles to a 34-6 win over Vardaman. […]
AMORY – Amory football coach Ben Ashley believes in a thing called “Panther Magic.” He saw it on Friday night as Amory (5-4, 2-1) capitalized on a Jalen Holland fumble recovery at their 2-yard line in a 14-14 tied game with Shannon to roll on to a 36-14 Division 1-4A win. “A lot of people […]
EGYPT – Oct. 23. On this day in history, the first North American transcontinental air service began from New York to Los Angeles in 1929, the United Nations General Assembly convenes for the first time in 1946 and Mary Forshee Gladney, who still keeps a smile on her face, is born in Aberdeen in 1914. […]
STARKVILLE – It was a weekend some saw coming while others never thought they’d live to see the day. Mississippi State University’s 38-23 win over Auburn University Oct. 11 projected the then #3 ranked team past Florida State to sit atop the college football world after the polls were announced the next day. As cowbells […]
Hamilton picked up its fourth straight Division 1-1A win on Friday night on the road, topping Biggersville 38-6. The Lions got another big week out of junior running back Keshon Heard, as he accounted for two scores, but also saw their passing game shine on Friday night. “They were geared up to stop the run, […]
BY BRANDON SPECK Daily Journal ABERDEEN – Aberdeen drove down Louisville’s throat, on one drive. Then the Wildcats fed the Journal’s No. 1 medium school a 37-6 beating Friday at Lester Miley Stadium. The defending Class 3A champs got touchdowns from five players, Demarcus Brooks’ 7-yard run for a 17-6 lead in the second quarter. […]
Nettleton found its road trip tough on Friday night as they fell 50-6 on the road to Kemper County. The Tigers got their lone score on a 20-yard pass from Colton Ausbern to Dre Smith. Nettleton coach Mike Scott complimented the athleticism of Kemper County. “It’s just the speed they have that caused us a […]
AMORY – Amory overcame a shaky, 9-4 loss in Game 2 to take its second round, Class 4A playoff series 2-1 against Houston on Saturday. “When you beat someone like that in the first game, it gets mentally tough, but this time of the year, you can’t do that,” said Amory coach Chris Pace, whose […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – It didn’t take long for Smithville to earn its berth in the Class 1A North state finals on Saturday. The Lady Noles played a total of six innings in two games, beating Jumpertown 24-0 and 22-4 to advance. “We hit the ball a lot better today […]
By Kedrick Storey Southern Sentinel HAMILTON – The Hamilton Lady Lions blasted their way to their fourth consecutive North Half championship series with a sweep of the Falkner Lady Eagles on Saturday. Hamilton (24-6), the defending 1A champs, hit five home runs in Game 1 to win 10-0 in five innings. They kept it going […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Antoine Terrell Griffin, Jr., 20, of Aberdeen Oct. 20. Griffin is accused of allegedly chasing another vehicle on Highway 25 South. While chasing that vehicle, Griffin allegedly hit another vehicle at the intersection of Highway 25 and Marina Road. Griffin is charged with no insurance, leaving the scene of […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office has started its Christmas Toy Drive. The public is asked to donate new toys at any of the following locations: Wal-Mart, Loden’s Body Shop or Carlisle Cleaners, all in Amory or at Monroe County Sheriff’s Office in Aberdeen on Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. The department […]
- Amory trio charged with possession of ICE October 24, 2014
- Lady Lions blast their way to North finals October 23, 2014
- Alleged wild ride leads to multiple charges for Aberdeen man October 23, 2014
- MCSO launches annual Christmas Toy Drive October 23, 2014
- County is not immune to domestic violence October 23, 2014
- Amory trio charged with possession of ICE October 24, 2014
- Monroe football previews: Week 10 October 24, 2014
- Tigers top Mustangs in playoff push October 24, 2014
- Seminoles roll over Vardaman October 24, 2014
- Holland’s fumble recovery changes Panthers’ momentum October 24, 2014
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Busted: This guy has had more chances than I can count. Lo...
- Monroe football previews: Week 10 http://t.co/X0k8ZG0U15 4 hours ago
- Laughter is one of the best medicines for centurion http://t.co/6MmyRSA1vU 6 hours ago
- Miss Mississippi State University crowned at best time to be a Bulldog http://t.co/nlJmpewbYP 6 hours ago
- Alleged wild ride leads to multiple charges for Aberdeen man http://t.co/kRTatdQaW4 1 day ago
- MCSO launches annual Christmas Toy Drive http://t.co/MpkdsZpy2z 1 day ago