According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, 54-year-old George “Gregory” Mitchell was located Wednesday on Interstate 55 in Tallahatchie County and is in good condition. Mitchell was located after he called a friend, which led authorities to his discovery. Before Wednesday’s discovery more than 100 miles away from Monroe County, Mitchell was last seen on […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
AMORY – Grant and Joyce Owens have been serving their community for 50 years with either grocery items or advice. The Owens’ grocery store is a place for people to get physical and spiritual food. To the Owens’, the two go hand-in-hand. On Nov. 22, a Thanksgiving event was held honoring them for their service […]
By CAROLYN PARSON /For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The board of aldermen Nov. 18 unanimously approved the city’s support of fishing tournaments next year that will gain attention from not just across the state and region, but from across the nation. “The city will incur some expenses for these events, but the estimated revenue […]
Itawamba Community College’s Student Juried Art Competition is currently on display in the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center Gallery at the Fulton Campus. The show, which is comprised of 53 works in a variety of media including sculpture, drawing, painting, photography and ceramics, will be up through Dec. 5. Cash awards will be given to […]
ABERDEEN – Major Warren Ellsworth Sauter died heroically in October 1944 after directing orders against a strong enemy force near Luneville, France during World War II. Attributes in the war earned him a Silver Star, Purple Heart and the French Croix de Guerre. As a tribute, the town of Charmes, France has adopted his grave. […]
ABERDEEN – During his one-year tour of duty in Vietnam, Capt. Robert Barrett estimates he helped transport between 2,000 and 4,000 troops while serving as an aircraft commander on a U.S. Army UH-1H medical evacuation helicopter, but the chance of reconnecting with any of them now is seemingly one in a million. A recent chance […]
AMORY – Police are searching for two suspects who got away after breaking into the AT&T store. Police say it happened around 3:30 this morning, according to WTVA. The three individuals led police on a chase that ended when the vehicle crashed on Concord Avenue. One of the suspects was apprehended but police are still […]
ABERDEEN – Monroe County Sheriff Department arrested Ricky Wayne Allen, 50, of Aberdeen on Friday. Allen is charged with 2 counts of Breaking and Entering of a Building. He is accused of breaking into a building on Deer Road earlier this month where several items were taken. Monroe County Sheriff’s Department was able to recover […]
With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, several community-minded events will offer people the opportunity to come together for fellowship to enjoy the holiday. Aberdeen • The North Mt. Olivet General Baptist District Association Brotherhood Ministry will sponsor its annual free Thanksgiving Day meal on Thanksgiving Day. Pick–up or delivery of the meal will begin at 11 a.m. […]
- Access Family Health Clinic awarded $250,000 grant November 20, 2014
- Aberdeen man arrested for breaking and entering November 24, 2014
- Amory police search for robbery suspects November 24, 2014
- Veterans reconnect nearly 47 years after life-saving rescue November 25, 2014
- French town adopts grave of fallen Aberdeen WWII soldier November 25, 2014
- Earlier loss motivation for Wildcats November 26, 2014
- Quick start doesn’t pay off for Bulldogs November 26, 2014
- Missing Monroe County man located November 26, 2014
- Owens Grocery serves Amory for 50 years November 26, 2014
- Aberdeen Lake lands three major 2015 fishing tournaments November 26, 2014
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
- D. K.: Anyone knows that the more evil of the two is hard...
- Missing Monroe County man located http://t.co/Oj9a1j4XCH 11 mins ago
- Authorities continue search for missing man http://t.co/goBPPtSPMS 4 hours ago
- Owens Grocery serves Amory for 50 years http://t.co/SUCrVjYmE4 7 hours ago
- Aberdeen Lake lands three major 2015 fishing tournaments http://t.co/6nXouBXiOk 7 hours ago
- Love them while we’re all here together http://t.co/8pwzJ5Q8tj 7 hours ago