HAMILTON – According to Bud Grebey, vice president of corporate affairs and communications for Tronox, the Hamilton plant’s sodium chlorate plant will cease production Nov. 30 due to a steep decline in the global demand of the product, which is used as an alternative to chlorine as a whitener for paper and pulp products. Employees […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department arrested Lewis Jackson Prestage, Jr., 28, of Amory and Megan Danielle Collier, 29, of Amory on May 26. The two are accused of breaking into a building on County Home Road last week and stealing lawn care equipment. Monroe County Sheriff’s Department has recovered the stolen property. Collier and Prestage […]
AMORY – The members of the Africa University Choir can sing anything from traditional African music to classical gospel hymns in 18 different languages. What anyone who sees the group live can leave with is a feeling of an artistic, cultural experience. “It can be a catalyst to bring the community together. We’ve gotten several […]
AMORY – The Amory School Board has named Amory High School Principal Ken Byars the new superintendent of the District effective July 1. Byars, who hails from Houston and previously coached football at several area schools, came to the district in January 2013 as principal of Amory Middle School, then went on to serve as […]
Monroe County children are fortunate that the county’s five libraries – Evans Memorial Library in Aberdeen, Amory Municipal Library, Hamilton Library, Nettleton Library and Wren Library – are offering summer reading programs. Summer reading programs are important in preventing “summer reading loss” in children. Not only do the programs keep children entertained for a few […]
Journal Staff Reports AMORY – Monroe County, more specifically areas of Amory, was hit by a weather system Monday, May 25 that brought down trees, caused flooding and left behind numerous damage reports in its aftermath. According to Monroe County Emergency Management Agency Director Bunky Goza, there were no injuries and no fatalities. The brunt […]
AMORY – The Monroe County Board of Education approved several items at its May 12 meeting regarding personnel for the upcoming school year. Items approved included: • Resignations of Ray Weeks, Robyn Winders and Courtney Broome, all of Hamilton. • Recommendations of certified employees for extended school year of 2014-2015, including Judy Morgan of Smithville […]
AMORY – According to Monroe County Emergency Management Agency Director Bunky Goza, there are no injuries or fatalities from high winds that swept through Monroe County Monday morning. The bulk of the damage is in Amory with the storm swath beginning at Main Street and 3rd Street S. and moved north-northeast. There was also trees […]
AMORY – Renovations began May 11 on a former post office moved Aug. 21, 2014 from Becker to the Amory Regional Museum. “It was given by Herman Sandlin who donated it in memory of his wife, Kay,” said museum director Bo Miller. “The structure was built around 1920, and it served as Becker’s Post Office […]
- Hoops for Hope offers basketball and fellowship May 21, 2015
- Panthers finish spring practice with scrimmage May 24, 2015
- Railroad Festival wrap-up meeting indicates good feedback for new format May 25, 2015
- Hitching Post owner is not a newcomer to restaurant business May 25, 2015
- Extreme Makeover: Post Office Edition May 25, 2015
- McCain, Noe lock down on defense in Game 2 May 27, 2015
- Repeat denied: Cathedral spoils Noles’ bid for back-to-back championships May 27, 2015
- Tronox’s sodium chlorate plant to close Nov. 30 May 27, 2015
- Amory residents charged with B&E May 27, 2015
- Africa choir bringing soulful sound to town May 27, 2015
- Johndoe: Does Glen Bingham even live in AMory....I thought ...
- John Doe: Does glen Bingham even live in the city limits of ...
- Herschell Pargo: I want to commend you for your work on General you...
- Linda Brown Pearce: I so enjoyed the Railroal Festival! I only got to ...
- michelle harris: Thank you for this great article on our Craig Wayn...