AMORY – A black male wearing a dark colored hoodie, black pants and a black do-rag entered Heritage Inn & Suites at 10 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 26 and demanded money, according to a press release from the Amory Police Department. The subject weighed approximately 250 pounds, was approximately 5’10” tall and was possibly in his […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help in locating Herbert Sanderson, 87, who was last seen at approximately 1:30. Wednesday, Nov. 26 at his Hatley residence. Sanderson is described as a white male with brown hair and brown eyes, 5’8″ in height and weighing 165 pounds. He drives a white 1985 […]
ABERDEEN – Following suit with several other counties, Monroe County supervisors Friday approved a resolution that supports naming a section of Highway 6 between Amory and Nettleton “Military Order of the Purple Heart Highway.” The move, intended to pay tribute to the military, is part of Senate Bill 2586, which was passed in the 2014 […]
ABERDEEN – In a set up capturing several elements of a Mississippi college football experience, 160 Belle Elementary School students spent Friday playing tailgate games, listening to songs to get them pumped up, screaming for Mississippi State and Ole Miss and watching a game as a reward for meeting their Accelerated Reader goals. “We planned […]
AMORY – The Amory Board of Aldermen recently authorized Mayor Brad Blalock to enter into a purchase agreement of 90 acres at Amory Port North to Zilkha Biomass Energy for the production of the company’s Zilkha Black® pellets for the early stages of a contract. “Based on the option agreement, the company will invest in […]
With Black Friday sales and Small Business Saturday promotions signaling the official beginning of the holiday shopping season, Aberdeen Police Chief Henry Randle urges shoppers to be mindful of perpetrators taking advantage of the shopping rush. “Purses this time of year are a signal for a mugging. Please leave purses at home,” said Randle, who […]
According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, 54-year-old George “Gregory” Mitchell was located Wednesday on Interstate 55 in Tallahatchie County and is in good condition. Mitchell was located after he called a friend, which led authorities to his discovery. Before Wednesday’s discovery more than 100 miles away from Monroe County, Mitchell was last seen on […]
AMORY – Grant and Joyce Owens have been serving their community for 50 years with either grocery items or advice. The Owens’ grocery store is a place for people to get physical and spiritual food. To the Owens’, the two go hand-in-hand. On Nov. 22, a Thanksgiving event was held honoring them for their service […]
By CAROLYN PARSON /For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The board of aldermen Nov. 18 unanimously approved the city’s support of fishing tournaments next year that will gain attention from not just across the state and region, but from across the nation. “The city will incur some expenses for these events, but the estimated revenue […]
- Auxiliary Unit 26 hosts annual balloon release November 22, 2014
- Quick start doesn’t pay off for Bulldogs November 26, 2014
- Earlier loss motivation for Wildcats November 26, 2014
- Save the date; it’s time for a trip down memory lane November 27, 2014
- Randle urges caution while holiday shopping November 27, 2014
- Lady Lions hustle to win at Caledonia tournament November 28, 2014
- Amory police seek information in armed robbery case November 28, 2014
- Law enforcement needs assistance in locating missing man November 28, 2014
- Supervisors offer support for Purple Heart Highway November 28, 2014
- Accelerated Readers compete for Belle Elementary Egg Bowl November 28, 2014
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
- D. K.: Anyone knows that the more evil of the two is hard...
- Amory police seek information in armed robbery case http://t.co/9soAbfUnxm 13 mins ago
- MCSO needs assistance in locating missing man http://t.co/H6b3Spb4Bi 5 hours ago
- Supervisors offer support for Purple Heart Highway http://t.co/mzotWIX0r0 7 hours ago
- Accelerated Readers compete for Belle Elementary Egg Bowl http://t.co/59qNMnxUoH 8 hours ago
- At the Movies: Nov. 26, 2014 http://t.co/FU0yDR2Xrx 8 hours ago