AMORY – Residents can now be more interactive with the Amory Police Department thanks to a smartphone app that allows users to receive push notifications letting them know any number of things going on in the city or their particular neighborhood. “There are push options, so people will have a choice of the whole city […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
WREN – If you explore long enough, you can convince Monroe County to tell off on some of the hidden secrets it keeps tucked away tight. Aside from what you see from creek banks and bridges, it offers miles’ worth of winding blueways only seen from a boat. The relaxing sound of the trickle of […]
ABERDEEN – Following a brief executive session May 22, the board of supervisors voted 4-1 to hire Amory resident Evan Adams as the county’s new administrator. Adams, who is employed with Renasant Bank as an assistant vice president, will take the position held for nearly three years by Mike King, who left to take the […]
AMORY – Beginning immediately, the city has adopted a new sidewalk ordinance stating that no structures or merchandise, other than specific decorative fixtures, will be allowed on city sidewalks. “We get weekly and even daily complaints about merchandise in the walkways,” said Mayor Brad Blalock, who said that there must be five feet of walking […]
According to a report released from Niche.com, Amory and Aberdeen gained impressive marks for the best towns in Mississippi to raise a family. Amory took the #1 spot with Columbia and Gulfport trailing behind. Aberdeen ranked #12 on the list of 20 towns of various sizes. The 2015 rankings factored in grades based on education, […]
By CAROLYN PARSON/For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Mayor Cecil Belle announced May 19 to the board of aldermen that the city has been approved for a $335,000 Mississippi Department of Transportation grant to complete sidewalk improvements and to create needed sidewalks. “This will help with great projects, including sidewalks around our schools,” Belle said. […]
Thinking back, the way Adrian Haynes says she has run her household is an example of what she picked up from her mother. Everyone else ate before she did, as she wanted to make sure they were provided for at meal time. For the past few years, she has invited other women dealing with the […]
HAMILTON – According to Bud Grebey, vice president of corporate affairs and communications for Tronox, the Hamilton plant’s sodium chlorate plant will cease production Nov. 30 due to a steep decline in the global demand of the product, which is used as an alternative to chlorine as a whitener for paper and pulp products. Employees […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department arrested Lewis Jackson Prestage, Jr., 28, of Amory and Megan Danielle Collier, 29, of Amory on May 26. The two are accused of breaking into a building on County Home Road last week and stealing lawn care equipment. Monroe County Sheriff’s Department has recovered the stolen property. Collier and Prestage […]
- Living the ‘River Life’: Retired teacher tests waters of kayak rental venture May 29, 2015
- LEPC meeting delves in deeper to LEPC structure May 23, 2015
- Repeat denied: Cathedral spoils Noles’ bid for back-to-back championships May 27, 2015
- McCain, Noe lock down on defense in Game 2 May 27, 2015
- The criminal class versus law enforcement May 28, 2015
- I’m already trying to graduate past the tears, sniffles May 30, 2015
- All hail the kings and queens of the rhododendrons and cookie cutters May 30, 2015
- Area players compete in NEMCABB all-star game May 29, 2015
- Hamilton trio inks with Itawamba CC May 29, 2015
- Smartphone app downloads dealings of the Amory Police Department May 29, 2015
- Ray Van Dusen: That contact number is 640-2043. Have a blast if y...
- KMyhand: Any contact information or details on how to book ...
- Johndoe: Does Glen Bingham even live in AMory....I thought ...
- John Doe: Does glen Bingham even live in the city limits of ...
- Herschell Pargo: I want to commend you for your work on General you...