ABERDEEN – Monroe County Administrator Mike King, who was hired for the position in the summer of 2012, read his official resignation March 20 to the board of supervisors, citing another job opportunity for his reason for leaving the post. After discussion of how to fill the void, supervisors approved to advertise for the position, […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
AMORY – After interviewing several candidates, the board of aldermen has chosen outgoing Monroe County Administrator Mike King to replace Tony Swan as the Amory Utilities Department superintendent. King, who was county administrator for two-and-a-half years, says that he doesn’t foresee trouble transitioning into the new role and plans to spend time with Swan before […]
AMORY – The City of Amory has set Saturday, March 28, as a citywide cleanup day. Participants are asked to meet at Nibble Nook Restaurant for a light breakfast at 8 a.m. After the breakfast, they will be provided with gloves and garbage bags and assigned an appropriate area for appropriate ages. “We want to […]
ABERDEEN – A frustrated Aberdeen Police Chief Henry Randle rode City Hall’s elevator from the police department to the upstairs lobby March 17 with two juveniles taken in that afternoon on accusations of breaking windows at the former Aberdeen Middle School. What helped bring on that frustration? The fact that Randle had appeared in front […]
Bond amounts were set Wednesday for two subjects arrested March 23 for possession of ICE by Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes. Bond was set at $5,000 each for William Cody Corbell and Eric Steven Sutton. The two were arrested by the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office following a traffic stop on Highway 45.
ABERDEEN – Whereas the host site for the Mississippi Bass Federation Tournament typically rotates each year between the north, central and south parts of the state, a touch of southern hospitality helped bring it back to Aberdeen Lake for the second year in a row. “Everybody enjoyed it last year so much, and we got […]
By CAROLYN PARSON/For the Monroe Journal PRAIRIE – It was a beautiful sunny Tuesday morning on March 17, but it wasn’t a party atmosphere, and no one wore green for St. Patrick’s Day. The colors were blue as fellow law enforcement officers came to Baptist Grove Church’s cemetery to honor slain Aberdeen Police Department Officer […]
While the Mississippi Board of Education is busy deciding which school districts will not have to make up missed school days due to this year’s inclement weather, Amory, Aberdeen, Nettleton and Monroe County school districts are sitting still and waiting to hear from Mississippi Department of Education before releasing an official statement. Nettleton Superintendent Michael […]
JACKSON – In response to the request made late last week by Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley, Publishers Clearing House is pleased to join the commissioner in warning consumers of a prevalent scam which defrauds victims by using the sweepstakes giant’s name. The so-called Jamaican Lottery Scam induces unsuspecting victims to send money to the […]
- Purchase, name change tee up River Birch for big changes March 25, 2015
- Gilmore hosts annual wellness luncheon, fashion show March 20, 2015
- MDOT, county advise candidates on proper placement of political signage March 25, 2015
- Bond amount set for Amory man arrested on ICE charge March 25, 2015
- Tigers’ comeback falls short to Urchins March 25, 2015
- Supervisors accept county administrator’s resignation March 27, 2015
- Amory names new utility department superintendent March 27, 2015
- Volunteers asked to help clean up Amory March 27, 2015
- Juvenile crimes remain hot topic of board discussion March 27, 2015
- Lady Lions stunned by tough pitching matchup March 26, 2015
- steve stanford: a military discount would be nice. my son-in-law ...
- carrollwhite: Sad to hear about our deputies, prayers for the 2 ...
- Truth seeker: the real story here is this woman Tried to beat th...
- Jeremy: Alice, You appear to be making two different ar...
- Ken W Holmes: Alice, the first time the ploy of "revenues going...