ABERDEEN – A religious season tradition continues as five pastors will rotate through five churches every Wednesday during Lent. St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church begins March 12 with Brother Keith Williams. First Presbyterian Church will host March 19 with Father Dickerson. St. Mark Methodist Church will host Abe Zimmerman March 26. St. John’s Episcopal […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
AMORY – “I want to beg Amory to please not fracture our community over this,” beseeched Amory Mayor Brad Blalock in a statement he gave before the board of aldermen started on March 4 regarding alcohol sales petitions circulating around town. Blalock address to the crowd before the meeting’s opening benediction was an appeal for […]
By CAROLYN PARSON /For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Aldermen approved a policy March 4 addressing customer issues with the city’s water and electric departments that will alleviate longer wait times. Currently the board is available to listen to individuals’ complaints at its two monthly regular board meetings, but moving forward when a customer has […]
AMORY – The Amory Police Department has arrested a trio of Monroe County residents suspected in a series of vehicle break-ins during a 24-hour period Monday, March 10. According to a press release from the APD, John Earl Melton, 22; Ashley Foster Gray, 23; and Sierra Leigh Allen, 24, were charged with three counts of […]
AMORY – Christopher Fuse has come a long way since selling his Afro D’Hippie T-shirts out of the trunk of his car less than a year ago, but he’s far from finished. Fuse’s grassroots endeavor began last March when he sent a classmate a drawing he had done for a T-shirt design. After the classmate […]
By capping off a day-long tour of the county with a stop in Amory Feb. 20, Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley signified his 100th town hall meeting since he’s been in office. Adding to earlier stops that day in Smithville and Aberdeen, the open forum gave citizens the opportunity to voice their concerns and questions […]
By JB Clark Daily Journal ABERDEEN – David Parvin will return to prison after a Monroe County jury convicted him of murder Monday. The jury deliberated for almost four hours after almost two hours of closing arguments Monday morning. Parvin, 76, received a life sentence. The last thing heard by the jury before they were […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department Narcotics Unit arrested Bolkiah Holmes, 25, of West Point March 10. Holmes is charged with possession of marijuana with intent. The arrest was the result of a traffic stop near the intersection of highways 45 Alt and 382 in Monroe County. Holmes is currently being housed at Monroe County Detention […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department is seeking donations of new or used wheelchairs. The donations can be made at Monroe County Sheriff’s Department in Aberdeen on Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 pm. Any used wheel chairs will be refurbished by the working inmates. The department wants to be able to provide these […]
- CodeRED alerts give warning to severe weather March 5, 2014
- Lady Lions roll out to a 2-0 start at classic March 8, 2014
- Planning meeting held for community garden March 9, 2014
- Tubb enjoys cooking and second career March 9, 2014
- Amory tops Hatley, Smithville at classic March 9, 2014
- Lenten Lunch series leads up to Holy Week March 12, 2014
- Mayor urges civility through duration of alcohol issue March 12, 2014
- Aldermen adopt utility meter policy March 12, 2014
- Three charged in rash of burglaries March 11, 2014
- Hairstyle inspires ‘hippie’ on path through retail fashion world March 11, 2014
- ForAmory\'sGrowth: All that has been said is that the voters need to ...
- ForAmory\'sGrowth: I want to support you! I did check the records of...
- Doug Cuthbert: My son Josh Cuthbert and I own property in Amory a...
- itspersonal: Since the end of the conflict in 1865 we in the So...
- itspersonal: The records of Amory City Clerk Lee Barnett show t...
- Lenten Lunch series leads up to Holy Week http://t.co/rNGcLx3Iju 5 hours ago
- Mayor urges civility through duration of alcohol issue http://t.co/lX0b930LFT 4 hours ago
- Aldermen adopt utility meter policy http://t.co/WgvUKxCXVr 4 hours ago
- Hairstyle inspires ‘hippie’ on path through retail fashion world http://t.co/9XLMrW5gEl 19 hours ago
- Presley’s town hall meeting tour comes through county http://t.co/xuKYgJmvJQ 20 hours ago