ABERDEEN – During an update to the Aberdeen School District’s P16 Council March 16, district principals shared plans in the works with their schools’ Partners in Education. According to Aberdeen Elementary School Principal Leigh Todd, Eutaw Construction has pledged to match funding raised for books by the AES parent teacher organization for her school’s library. […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
CHOCTAW – In an awards ceremony seemingly geared towards acknowledging community partnerships March 18, Aberdeen High School’s JROTC program accepted the 2015 Partnership Excellence Award at the Mississippi Association of Partners in Education Governor’s Award luncheon at Pearl River Resort. The program was selected because of a partnership between the school’s partnership with local industry, […]
AMORY – Monroe County Emergency Management Agency Director Bunky Goza was the driving force behind a tabletop exercise held at the East Amory Community Center on March 17. Approximately 60 attended the program, including local, state and federal agencies and organizations to learn how to react to a localized disaster. “I was very pleased with […]
HATLEY – Hatley Elementary School second grader Kendall Plunkett has been cooking for a couple of years. She comes from a long line of good cooks on her dad’s side of the family. Her grandmother is well known in Aberdeen for her cooking, and her great-grandmother is famous for her biscuits. Plunkett just learned to […]
For the Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – Mary Ann Tyra’s family says she’s “like a spring chicken” now that her atrial fibrillation is finally under control. Tyra, 65, of Smithville was first diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, the most common type of irregular heartbeat, in 2012. “I knew that my heart beat fast sometimes, but I […]
ABERDEEN – Monroe County Administrator Mike King, who was hired for the position in the summer of 2012, read his official resignation March 20 to the board of supervisors, citing another job opportunity for his reason for leaving the post. After discussion of how to fill the void, supervisors approved to advertise for the position, […]
AMORY – After interviewing several candidates, the board of aldermen has chosen outgoing Monroe County Administrator Mike King to replace Tony Swan as the Amory Utilities Department superintendent. King, who was county administrator for two-and-a-half years, says that he doesn’t foresee trouble transitioning into the new role and plans to spend time with Swan before […]
AMORY – The City of Amory has set Saturday, March 28, as a citywide cleanup day. Participants are asked to meet at Nibble Nook Restaurant for a light breakfast at 8 a.m. After the breakfast, they will be provided with gloves and garbage bags and assigned an appropriate area for appropriate ages. “We want to […]
ABERDEEN – A frustrated Aberdeen Police Chief Henry Randle rode City Hall’s elevator from the police department to the upstairs lobby March 17 with two juveniles taken in that afternoon on accusations of breaking windows at the former Aberdeen Middle School. What helped bring on that frustration? The fact that Randle had appeared in front […]
- Purchase, name change tee up River Birch for big changes March 25, 2015
- Rewind, record and replay; it’s all priceless to hang onto for awhile March 23, 2015
- Legislative Update: March 28, 2015 March 28, 2015
- Indians rally late over Panthers March 27, 2015
- Lady Noles endure in tough pitching matchup March 27, 2015
- Plans for Partners in Education projects shaping up for ASD March 30, 2015
- Aberdeen JROTC program, partners accept MAPE Governor’s Award March 30, 2015
- Tabletop exercise preps emergency agencies for worst-case scenario March 30, 2015
- Seminoles’ bulldog relishes opportunity March 29, 2015
- Aberdeen High School celebrates boys basketball team for successful season March 29, 2015
- steve stanford: a military discount would be nice. my son-in-law ...
- carrollwhite: Sad to hear about our deputies, prayers for the 2 ...
- Truth seeker: the real story here is this woman Tried to beat th...
- Jeremy: Alice, You appear to be making two different ar...
- Ken W Holmes: Alice, the first time the ploy of "revenues going...