According to Monroe County Emergency Management Agency Director Bunky Goza, a storm system that swept through the northern part of the county Friday afternoon yielded no injuries and one report of minor structure damage to a home. “The National Weather Service has video of a possible rotating wall cloud, but it never touched down and […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, Charles D. Holloway, 59, of Smithville was arrested and charged with felony sale of a controlled substance. Bond was set at $5,000, and he is currently housed at the Monroe County Detention Center. In a separate case, the MCSO arrested Julieanna Marie Pitts, 23, of Shannon was charged […]
AMORY – Local business owner Keith Baxter approached the mayor and board of aldermen April 19 to raise questions regarding city zoning. “As most of you know, we’ve owned our business on Highway 278 for around 18 years. In 2004 it was annexed by the city and re-zoned residential. We have a buyer now who […]
AMORY – Amory is again receiving notice as the high school’s rocket team will, for the third year in a row, go to Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC) in Washington, D.C., May 11-16. Only the top 100 teams are invited to the National Finals. Amory is the only school in Mississippi to qualify for the […]
ABERDEEN – During its April 19 meeting, the board of aldermen approved for Civil Links Engineering to provide services in relation to sidewalk repairs near Shivers Middle School and sidewalk construction from the Aberdeen Park and Recreation Building to the High Street Community Center. “We submitted our contract to MDOT to provide for a survey, […]
HAMILTON – A ministry through Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church, where Deon Triplett is pastor, is doing its part in raising cancer awareness with the upcoming mother/daughter tea. “We wanted to give back and thought of the high rate of cancer in Hamilton and wanted a cancer survivor to speak,” said Jametta Keaton, a member […]
For the Monroe Journal TUPELO – Carley Wilemon of Aberdeen sang her way to first place April 23 in the annual Tupelo Elvis Presley Fan Club Scholarship Competition. Wilemon won a $5,000 scholarship with her performance in the Presley birthplace auditorium. She was one of 10 high school senior finalists who performed two songs of […]
BECKER – An estimated 200 people waited in line April 20 at Southern Crossing Outfitters in Amory to take selfies and get autographs from the last ‘American Idol’ Trent Harmon, but the rush was the calm before the storm. Two days later, more than 1,000 people weaved their way from a horseshoe-shaped line in the […]
AMORY – Vinegar Band will be filled with music, as Amory Main Street will host Noon Tunes, a five-week lunchtime series, which begins April 28 with Mayor Brad Blalock. “I love that we’re kicking it off with our mayor. He’s a cool dude and a great guy,” said Amory Main Street Director Traci Hughely. “Thursday […]
- Cottage Tea Room offers area a Proper Tea April 24, 2016
- Harmon gives back to fans during quick trip home April 28, 2016
- Wilemon wins Elvis Fan Club Scholarship April 28, 2016
- Mt. Zion hosting cancer awareness event April 28, 2016
- Lady Lions open, close series with wins over Lady Hawks April 28, 2016
- Amory’s Williams reaches 300 career wins April 30, 2016
- Noles get easy sweep of JFK April 30, 2016
- Amory’s Pearson comes home to coach hoops April 30, 2016
- Amory track places at regional meet April 30, 2016
- Social Security Knowledge Center: “The truth” April 30, 2016
- Laurenda Richardson: Thank You Ray !!!! Very good article!!!...
- Shanette Loan: There was a time in my life that I waited for the ...
- Bessie: This is a blessing! I worked with Lori many years ...
- Deb Webb: Hey Trent- I loved your voice from the beginnin...
- Demetrice Herron: That is awesome... May god bless the both of you!!...