EGYPT – Oct. 23. On this day in history, the first North American transcontinental air service began from New York to Los Angeles in 1929, the United Nations General Assembly convenes for the first time in 1946 and Mary Forshee Gladney, who still keeps a smile on her face, is born in Aberdeen in 1914. […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
STARKVILLE – It was a weekend some saw coming while others never thought they’d live to see the day. Mississippi State University’s 38-23 win over Auburn University Oct. 11 projected the then #3 ranked team past Florida State to sit atop the college football world after the polls were announced the next day. As cowbells […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Antoine Terrell Griffin, Jr., 20, of Aberdeen Oct. 20. Griffin is accused of allegedly chasing another vehicle on Highway 25 South. While chasing that vehicle, Griffin allegedly hit another vehicle at the intersection of Highway 25 and Marina Road. Griffin is charged with no insurance, leaving the scene of […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office has started its Christmas Toy Drive. The public is asked to donate new toys at any of the following locations: Wal-Mart, Loden’s Body Shop or Carlisle Cleaners, all in Amory or at Monroe County Sheriff’s Office in Aberdeen on Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. The department […]
Domestic violence doesn’t just happen to a certain socioeconomic group and it does not have any borders. Domestic violence and abuse does not discriminate. It occurs within all age groups, among heterosexual couples, as well as same-sex partnerships. And yes, we have domestic violence in Monroe County. One person who wants to remain anonymous gave […]
AMORY – Get ready to boogie at the Big Bad Bluegrass Festival Saturday, Oct. 25 at the Old Armory National Guard. The Steel Toe Magnolias will kick off the festivities at 5 p.m. with a clogging performance followed by a jam session with Roundhouse Jam, a gathering of area bluegrass musicians who are sure to […]
Results released by the Mississippi Department of Education on Oct. 17 show that two-thirds of Mississippi’s kindergarten students are not actually prepared for kindergarten at all. The results will be used by proponents to call for more state spending on pre-kindergarten classes to help students improve before reaching the third grade, when they will be […]
Amory, Aberdeen and Monroe County school districts will each keep their 2013 ranks due to a waiver that does not require them to claim the letter-grade rankings based on student performance on state tests and graduation rates from last year. The Mississippi Department of Education provided the waiver because of the switch to the Common […]
The Itawamba Community College Homecoming Court will be presented, Saturday Oct. 25, at 11:30 a.m. in the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus and during halftime of the before the ICC/Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College football game, which begins at 3:30 p.m. The 2014 Itawamba Community College Homecoming Court […]
- Bukka White Festival celebrates the blues this weekend October 17, 2014
- Alleged wild ride leads to multiple charges for Aberdeen man October 23, 2014
- MCSO launches annual Christmas Toy Drive October 23, 2014
- County is not immune to domestic violence October 23, 2014
- Wishing for a movie script ending before theater rolls its final credits October 23, 2014
- Tigers top Mustangs in playoff push October 24, 2014
- Seminoles roll over Vardaman October 24, 2014
- Holland’s fumble recovery changes Panthers’ momentum October 24, 2014
- Laughter is one of the best medicines for centurion October 24, 2014
- Miss Mississippi State University crowned at best time to be a Bulldog October 24, 2014
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Busted: This guy has had more chances than I can count. Lo...
- Laughter is one of the best medicines for centurion http://t.co/6MmyRSA1vU 4 hours ago
- Miss Mississippi State University crowned at best time to be a Bulldog http://t.co/nlJmpewbYP 4 hours ago
- Alleged wild ride leads to multiple charges for Aberdeen man http://t.co/kRTatdQaW4 1 day ago
- MCSO launches annual Christmas Toy Drive http://t.co/MpkdsZpy2z 1 day ago
- County is not immune to domestic violence http://t.co/4ezrHJBPLS 1 day ago