ABERDEEN – Fifty-three individuals from 23 countries were sworn in Friday as U.S. citizens in a naturalization ceremony by U.S. District Senior Judge Glen H. Davidson, who urged them to be active participants by voting and happily serving on juries as they mesh into their newly acquired citizenships. “You’re the fresh minds and innovators we […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
The Mississippi Highway Patrol is issuing an Amber Alert for 17-year-old Katelyn Beard, who was abducted Sunday morning between 6 and 7 a.m. from 4244 Lynda Street in Jackson. She is described as a white female, with long brown hair, brown eyes, 5 feet four, inches tall and weighing 140 pounds. She was last seen accompanied […]
GREENWOOD SPRINGS – Ruth Kimbrough thinks she was about 8 years old when she started cooking. Her mother was often sick and with four kids in the house, she had to help cook. “I think the first thing I cooked was fried potatoes in a black skillet and cornbread. We ate a lot of potatoes. […]
Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes set bond Friday for the three subjects arrested following a standoff in Bigbee Wednesday. A $1 million cash bond was set for Steven Alton Brantley while bond was set at $20,000 each for David Little and Crystal Bosch. All three subjects have been charged with possession of a […]
For the Monroe Journal U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency Administrator Juan M. Garcia announced that farmers can now enroll in the Cotton Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) through Oct. 7, 2014. The program, created by the 2014 Farm Bill, provides interim payments to cotton producers during the 2014 crop year until the Stacked […]
For the Monroe Journal Registration is under way for a CPR – First Aid – AED class at Itawamba Community College. The class will meet from 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Sept. 27, at ICC-Belden (3200 Adams Farm Road). The course is taught according to the American Heart Association standards for individuals with limited or no medical […]
AMORY – Empower Mississippi President Grant Callen will take questions Sept. 4 regarding a special needs bill for the 2015 Mississippi Legislature. The Equal Opportunity for Students with Special Needs Act would give parents access to an Individualized Education Fund that can be used to pay for a variety of services including therapy, tutoring, tuition […]
“Let’s be Cops” Rated: R Synposis by movies.com: It’s the ultimate buddy cop movie except for one thing: they’re not cops. When two struggling pals dress as police officers for a costume party, they become neighborhood sensations. But when these newly minted “heroes” get tangled in a real life web of mobsters and dirty detectives, […]
By CAROLYN PARSON/For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – In the absence of Mayor Cecil Belle, Ward 5 Alderman John Allen presided over the Aug. 19 board of aldermen meeting, highlighted by the approval of new employees. The board approved Carrie Kendrick for patrol and Mairiel Heard for dispatch for the Aberdeen Police Department. Javoni Jones […]
- Nettleton Town Creek Festival seeks vendors August 25, 2014
- Tigers drop heartbreaker to Cougars August 28, 2014
- Knight makes smooth adjustment at QB for Seminoles August 28, 2014
- Subjects from standoff could face multiple charges August 28, 2014
- Aberdeen aldermen approve hires August 29, 2014
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 53 of nation’s newest citizens September 1, 2014
- MHP issues statewide Amber Alert August 31, 2014
- Kimbrough’s cooking comes from a country raising August 31, 2014
- Lady Panthers win Monroe County tourney August 30, 2014
- Bond set for subjects arrested in standoff August 30, 2014
- Doug Cuthbert: You are correct I am not registered to vote here. ...
- weedeater: Great job for Amory's new mayor! Shoot down the ...
- Frank James: How in the hell was he not charged with intent to ...
- Fred G Sanford: Get Greg Beason to sell some of the scrap junk he ...
- MeriemDZ: Fourteen years ago I walked up on the porch of the...
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 53 of nation’s newest citizens http://t.co/Ydb28CVRkC 1 hour ago
- MHP issues statewide Amber Alert http://t.co/If2YMG629e 10 hours ago
- Kimbrough’s cooking comes from a country raising http://t.co/rLDsyxJ1g8 1 day ago
- Bond set for subjects arrested in standoff http://t.co/o4sWQh7iBe 2 days ago
- Cotton Transition Assistance Program enrollment begins http://t.co/H58zS4HRGX 2 days ago