Monroe County Sheriff’s Office deputies recovered a John Deere tractor and disc that had been reported stolen to Clay County Sheriff’s Department. The property was recovered in a field area in the Wren community close to old Highway 41. The property was valued at more than $75,000. The investigation is being handled by Clay County […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
For the Monroe Journal Christmas is a joyous time of the year to get together with family and friends and to remember to celebrate the “real reason for the season,” the birth of Jesus. Following are some safety tips that, if you follow them, will help to make the season safer and ultimately more enjoyable: […]
ABERDEEN – While certain cities in early history began their own Christmas celebrations in different years after the death of Jesus Christ, the universal date in the fourth century streamlined the celebrations to Dec. 25. In the year 430, Pope Sixtus III included a replica chapel of where Jesus was born and instituted a midnight […]
For the Monroe Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality awarded the Three Rivers Solid Waste Management Authority a $75,000 solid waste assistance grant that will be used for household hazardous waste collection events in the Spring of 2015. The authority includes Calhoun, Itawamba, Lafayette, Lee, Monroe, Pontotoc and Union counties. Cities and […]
ABERDEEN – Jean Knight learned to cook at an early age when she and a cousin would stay with their grandmother during the summer. “I remember cooking green beans and putting okra in the green beans,” Knight said. I didn’t know any better.” Knight’s father was a meat and potatoes guy and she learned to […]
By Caroline Carter /For the Monroe Journal ATHENS – Out in the backwoods of the Athens community sets the homestead of the late Leonard Alfonso West. Andrew Allen, L.A. West’s grandson and a member of the Athens community, described the life on the West family farm between the 1940s and 1960s. “Agriculture in the community […]
According to a press release from the Secretary of State’s office, the Mississippi Adequate Education Program (MAEP) Petition, or Initiative #42, obtained the sufficient number of signatures required to be placed on the 2015 General Election ballot in November. Initiative #42 seeks to amend the State Constitution to require the full funding of education and […]
ABERDEEN – Even though the maximum altitude of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus drone may tap out at 655 feet, the study of flight for Aberdeen High School’s JROTC program would rather let the sky be the limit. The JROTC program received one of approximately 60 drones from the Air Force JROTC’s headquarters at Maxwell […]
ABERDEEN – In a sense, Aberdeen School District alumni and supporter Edward Haynes threw down the gauntlet just before dismissal of the district’s P16 Council Dec. 8 meeting. Springboarding from a recent $3,300 donation he secured from Tronox for a fresher, brighter coat of paint for the halls of Belle Elementary School, Haynes challenged Aberdeen […]
- Deadline approaches for ICC’s Adult Learner Incentive Scholarship December 15, 2014
- ASD supporter issues challenge for school partnerships December 19, 2014
- JROTC program aims high with drone technology December 19, 2014
- MAEP Petition makes the 2015 Ballot December 19, 2014
- Tigers grab first win of season December 19, 2014
- Monroe County deputies recover stolen equipment December 22, 2014
- Silent Night: Midnight Mass celebration ushers in hour of the day December 22, 2014
- Extension service offers holiday safety tips December 22, 2014
- MDEQ awards solid waste assistance grant to Three Rivers December 21, 2014
- Knight’s cooking skills learned at an early age December 21, 2014
- Diva: Nothing like doing the meth with the kids!...
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
Monroe County, MS
City of Aberdeen
City of Amory
Monroe County Chamber of Commerce
Tombigbee Regional Library
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Collierville Dentist at Schilling Farms