Even with Thanksgiving a week away, scenes of the holidays have already staked claim on light poles and underneath downtown awnings and through Christmas open houses throughout the county. Approaching dates for Christmas parades make the holiday season even more real. In normal fashion, the young and young at heart will have plenty of opportunities […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
ABERDEEN – Aberdeen High School Principal Cloyd Garth, Jr., host principal for November’s P16 Council meeting, compared gains at the school to its new motto, “The right way, Everyday, The Bulldog way.” “We had 71 students who made the honor roll and 33 missed it by one class. We have 104 students on the way […]
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – This year’s Holiday Market at the Windows is shaping up to be an excellent market with several new vendors along with returning favorites, according to event co-chair Faye Pickle. This event will be on Friday, Nov. 21 from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. and on Saturday, Nov. 22 from […]
SMITHVILLE – Access Family Health Clinic will receive a $250,000 grant through the Health Resources and Services Administration to expand mental health and substance abuse services. “We have been providing mental healthcare in Tupelo for our veterans. With this grant, we will be able to expand it to low income and uninsured patients,” said Access […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Jamie Bailey, 22, of Aberdeen for child molestation. Due to the sensitive nature of the investigation no further information about the incident will be released, according to a press release from the MCSO. Bailey is currently housed at Monroe County Sheriff Department. Bond has not been set at […]
ABERDEEN – The board of aldermen Tuesday approved Aberdeen Lake to be the host site for the 2015 Central Division Championship for The Bass Federation May 31-June 5. The tournament will bring in as many as 120 anglers from eight states and attract national television coverage. Additionally, Aberdeen Lake will host the Mississippi Bass Federation’s […]
ABERDEEN – Shortly after the Aberdeen School District entered into conservatorship, the Mississippi Department of Education’s Commission on School Accreditation put the district on probation due to violations of 31 of the state’s 37 education standards. Thanks to improvements made while under state control, the ASD has regained its accreditation. ASD Conservator Mac Curlee shared […]
For the Monroe Journal Are you trying to quit smoking to live a healthier life, be there for your family or cut down on spending? There are many reasons to quit smoking, and everyone has a reason that is important to them. Every day, as you are trying to quit, remind yourself of this reason […]
AMORY – Approximately 400 people attended this year’s salute to veterans sponsored by Community Bank, which was held at the Amory National Guard Armory. The event has been held for more than 25 years. “Community Bank is honored to be able to sponsor this event every year. What began over 25 years ago with a […]
- Paddling expedition proves to be back to basics approach to life November 14, 2014
- Suspense author featured guest of Booklunch November 18, 2014
- Amory police continue investigation in ‘DB Boyz’ vandalism case November 18, 2014
- White-tailed deer gun season opens Nov. 22 November 18, 2014
- Bond amounts set for recent drug arrests November 18, 2014
- Christmas parades help usher in holiday spirit November 21, 2014
- AHS gains, more public involvement among P16 talking points November 21, 2014
- Bulldogs, Lady Bulldogs open with wins on the road November 20, 2014
- Area artisans on display at The Windows November 20, 2014
- It’s not as bad as you think; it’s just a little misunderstood November 20, 2014
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
- D. K.: Anyone knows that the more evil of the two is hard...
- Christmas parades help usher in holiday spirit http://t.co/MHbLHnO69R 3 hours ago
- AHS gains, more public involvement among P16 talking points http://t.co/RPOVyLVqqg 3 hours ago
- Aberdeen man charged with child molestation http://t.co/39M4ZoQJQE 1 day ago
- Aberdeen lands three major fishing tournaments http://t.co/Aqjp5miXju 2 days ago
- Aberdeen School District reclaims its accreditation http://t.co/qk9Fdx9Uky 2 days ago