Results released by the Mississippi Department of Education on Oct. 17 show that two-thirds of Mississippi’s kindergarten students are not actually prepared for kindergarten at all. The results will be used by proponents to call for more state spending on pre-kindergarten classes to help students improve before reaching the third grade, when they will be […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Amory, Aberdeen and Monroe County school districts will each keep their 2013 ranks due to a waiver that does not require them to claim the letter-grade rankings based on student performance on state tests and graduation rates from last year. The Mississippi Department of Education provided the waiver because of the switch to the Common […]
The Itawamba Community College Homecoming Court will be presented, Saturday Oct. 25, at 11:30 a.m. in the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus and during halftime of the before the ICC/Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College football game, which begins at 3:30 p.m. The 2014 Itawamba Community College Homecoming Court […]
HATLEY – Only one person qualified for the Hately alderman race, and will automatically filled the alderman seat formerly held by George King, who took the position of mayor after the passing of Pete Vaughn in August. “Sandra Vaughn, the widow of the former Hatley mayor Pete Vaughn, is the only person who applied for […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Robert Tyler Myers, 31, of Hamilton Oct. 18. The arrest was the result of a traffic stop on Cockerham Road. Myers is charged with felony possession of a controlled substance. Bond has not been set and subject is still in custody at Monroe County Detention Center.
The Amory Police Department arrested Secresha Lana Elliott, 23, and Rycardo Kentrell Morgan, 23, both of Amory. The two were charged with retaliation against a witness. According to reports filed by the APD, the incident happened Oct. 13 on F Avenue. Bond for both subjects was set at $5,000.00 by Judge Kevin Crook.
ABERDEEN – There was no family history of breast cancer in Barbara Ann Rowe’s genes, but there was the history of being raised by a tough mother and tough father. That same raising could have been what allowed her to skip four stages of grief and just accept the fact she was diagnosed with breast […]
The Mississippi Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, which aims to serve uninsured, medically underserved, minority and elderly women, is a year round service that is experiencing an increase in the number of women who need help. “We get at least 20 or more women per month. A lot of people just don’t have […]
AMORY – Carrie Wall grew up on a farm near Columbus, where her family raised nearly everything they ate. “We had all kinds of fresh vegetables and meats, milk, butter and fruit,” said Wall. “We also had an overflowing well.” When she married at an early age, she said she didn’t know much about cooking. […]
- Nettleton woman arrested for Possession of Ice October 17, 2014
- Formerly bullied teen has ‘The Voice’ to gain praise in show’s auditions October 16, 2014
- School board honors fallen member October 19, 2014
- Wall believes in quality and healthy food October 19, 2014
- Program serves underserved, underinsured candidates October 20, 2014
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education October 22, 2014
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings October 22, 2014
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. October 22, 2014
- Kennedy, Edgeworth power Smithville in first round win October 21, 2014
- Jones gets revenge for Myrtle’s walks October 21, 2014
- kyle ruff: I miss you...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education http://t.co/eiI59nPUnI 13 hours ago
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings http://t.co/5vwgaIHpEW 13 hours ago
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. http://t.co/faPKpA9eon 13 hours ago
- ICC to present Homecoming Court Saturday http://t.co/dnqnXXbzVB 1 day ago
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman http://t.co/p4M3Y1mlMc 2 days ago