The Mississippi Highway Patrol has issued an amber alert for a 2-year-old child who was abducted Wednesday morning from Caledonia. Maliah Harris is described as a white female. The subjects who are believed to have abducted are Donald Body Harris and Allison Studdard. Harris is described as a 34-year-old white male 5’11″ tall, weighing 201 […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
ABERDEEN – The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office will take part in the National Drug Take Back Initiative April 26 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. People with unwanted or expired pharmaceutical drugs can safely dispose of them during the initiative. The reasoning behind the program is to keep the community drug-free and keep the environment […]
AMORY – The Amory School District Visual Arts Show will undergo a change of venue this year as it will be held at Amory Middle School rather than the Amory Regional Museum. The public is invited to AMS on May 1 from 4 to 7 p.m for this special night. “I have appreciated the support […]
ABERDEEN – In a 3-0 vote April 15, the board of aldermen approved a motion in a lengthy executive session to suspend Aberdeen Police Department officer Lee Johnson for five days without pay stemming from a March 11 complaint filed by Ward 4 alderman Dean Irvin. “Dean Irvin in a way is a boss, and […]
AMORY – The board of aldermen approved a resolution April 15 to conduct a public hearing concerning a proposed rental ordinance for the city. The new ordinance, which has been in the works since last year, will set a minimum standard for homeowners looking to rent their property to cover the life, safety and general […]
AMORY – Work is underway on Amory’s newest Kaboom! community playground located on Col. Herbert Carter Drive, across from West Amory Elementary School. McDonald’s owners Robert and Jennifer Tomey of Wren purchased the land and donated it to the City of Amory. City of Amory grant writer Jamie Morgan previously applied for a $20,000 Dr. […]
AMORY – The Monroe County School District received a Mississippi Community Oriented Policing Service grant of $30,000 from the Mississippi Department of Education which will be used for School Resource Officer salaries. School board members also discussed the possibly obtaining assistants for the counselors on each attendance center due to the overwhelming numbers of students […]
What began at approximately noon Friday with a robbery and assault of a woman at a home in Alabama ended in an arrest Saturday night following a high speed chase in Tupelo. Anthony Glenn Poe of Smithville was arrested along with Karen Michelle Barker of Oxford on Blair Street in Tupelo. According to a press […]
AMORY – Retired Amory Police Department officer Billy Jones, 63, died Sunday, April 20, at 4:13 a.m. from complications from an accident that occurred April 10. According to Monroe County coroner Alan Gurley, Jones was riding his bicycle near his home when he was accidentally hit by a vehicle at the intersection of Hill Street […]
- Reflections of festival bring to mind the tacky and the classy April 17, 2014
- Scholarship applications available through MACD April 21, 2014
- Amory runner reclaims motivation through RR Festival 5K April 21, 2014
- West Point man charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon April 21, 2014
- Former police officer dies from complications from bike accident April 21, 2014
- Mississippi Highway Patrol issues amber alert for missing child April 23, 2014
- MCSO participates in Drug Take Back Initiative April 23, 2014
- Amory art students to host showcase April 23, 2014
- Officer’s suspension signals more drama stemming from wrecker wars saga April 23, 2014
- Amory aldermen set proposed rental ordinance hearing for city April 23, 2014
- former runner: I hope this program will get the financial support...
- Ronald: The pic your looking at is a different a Joshua an...
- DSG: I don't see a scratch on him??? Was that picture ...
- Here for Now: It's not like at least half the town isn't drink...
- Isn\'t This the 21st Century: Bishop Freeman I've eaten at O'charleys, Chilis,...
- Mississippi Highway Patrol issues amber alert for missing child http://t.co/ExR5YqCmVy 3 hours ago
- MCSO participates in Drug Take Back Initiative http://t.co/2Yx2NLJ0R3 5 hours ago
- Amory art students to host showcase http://t.co/YAlOmxWaIa 6 hours ago
- Officer’s suspension signals more drama stemming from wrecker wars saga http://t.co/dCV1R5GIjE 11 hours ago
- Amory aldermen set proposed rental ordinance hearing for city http://t.co/AutGXzbo8y 11 hours ago