Summer is the time when young wildlife abounds, but the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks says leave it alone. “Baby birds, squirrels, and white-tailed deer fawns are among the most frequent wildlife that people often report as abandoned each spring or summer,” said Chad Dacus, director of the MDWFP Wildlife Bureau. “Well-meaning people […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
And the winner of the 2016 Miss Mississippi talent preliminary is….Miss Amory 2016 Molly May. May, who also competed for the title last year, won the preliminary last nightat the Vicksburg Convention Center with her rendition of “House of the Rising Sun.” “This will hopefully push her into the top 10 for Miss Mississippi,” said […]
By Mallory Johnston and RAY VAN DUSEN/Monroe Journal AMORY – The 2016 Monroe County Relay for Life promises fun for those of all ages, and it will build on that fun with its theme of water. “It’s going to be a fun fellowship while we remember those fighting cancer,” said Amanda Webb of the American […]
ABERDEEN – Aberdeen Main Street will host a Fourth of July parade June 25 beginning at 10 a.m., and a car show and picnic in Acker Park will compliment, making for an active day downtown. To begin the festivities, the Aberdeen Antique & Classic Car Club will present a benefit car show for Tobby Turner […]
An Aberdeen man died June 22 at the North Mississippi Medical Center following a traffic accident in Pontotoc County. Preceto Lindsey, Jr., 18, was involved in a traffic accident June 12 on Highway 6, which was worked by the Mississippi Highway Patrol. Belle Memorial Funeral Home in Aberdeen is handling arrangements, which are incomplete at […]
For the Monroe Journal Mike and Betty Comer of Smithville will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary with a reception on Sunday, June 26, from 2 until 4 p.m. at Smithville United Methodist Church. The celebration is hosted by their children.
During his sophomore year at Hamilton High School, Brandon Davis kicked around the career ambition of being a wildlife biologist until he figured out calculus wasn’t his forte. The alternative was being a game warden. After being hired on with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks in 2003 to serve Franklin County, Davis […]
Disbelief. That’s the first thought in Amory native Amber Gholston’s mind when she birthed twins on at 5:47 p.m. and 5:48 p.m. on May 29, 2015. Her journey leading up to those two specific minutes was a 10-year struggle resolved by the medical technology associated with embryo adoption. “I had struggled with infertility for 10 […]
ABERDEEN – Even though the practice scenario of a plane crash wasn’t real June 18 in the waters of the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway and in a dark thicket of woods near the Aberdeen Marina, it’s an incident county emergency responders have actually faced and are now better prepared to face should one happen again. “A plane […]
- Social Security Center: Don’t fall in the trap June 18, 2016
- Mock plane crash exercise builds on cohesiveness June 23, 2016
- And babies make four: Couple’s embryo adoption notions that life begins at conception June 23, 2016
- Davis named state sheriff’s association’s Deputy of the Year June 23, 2016
- Comers celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- MDWFP advises people to leave fawns alone June 25, 2016
- Rivals to roommates: Kennedy, Thompson form lasting friendship through ICC softball June 24, 2016
- Hatley’s Thomas already at home going into season June 24, 2016
- Miss Amory wins Miss Mississippi preliminary June 24, 2016
- Relay for Life dips in with water theme June 24, 2016
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....
- Carlos Ann Sanders: Congratulations to the Amory Panthers and to Coach...
- Anti-bigot: This article is a joke just like this county and t...
- Average Joe: Finally, an article that embodies the true spirit ...
- Mary C. Vandiver-Spann: Yes I also Thank you Alice. I agree in is also poo...