ABERDEEN – Fifty-three shopping days may stand between Sunday’s Christmas Open House and the time the last store closes on Christmas Eve, but the annual tradition proves it’s never too soon to get a jump on holiday shopping. “We’re hoping to kick off a festive season. The open house is the first of several holiday […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
They were a couple of award winners who won over the community long before they smiled for the camera with plaques in their hands. Just in March of last year, Fred Robinson was honored with the Monroe County Chamber of Commerce’s Community Focus Award. Just a few months ago, Lawson Grimes was honored with a […]
According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, bond was set for two subjects arrested Oct. 24 after deputies responded to a disturbance call. Bond for 40-year-old Shelby Gray was set at $40,000 by Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes while Fowlkes revoked bond for 31-year-old Wesley Curt James. The two, along with 22-year-old Kim […]
Halloween is an exciting time of year for kids, and to help ensure they have a safe holiday, here are some tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). All dressed up • Plan costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure that shoes fit well and that costumes are short enough to prevent tripping, […]
ABERDEEN – Monroe County 911 Director Bunky Goza approached the board of supervisors Friday for permission to purchase components of a new 911 system to replace the county’s current obsolete system. The new system, which includes a new mapping system, a computer automated design program, a new backing system and a new call taking system, […]
ABERDEEN – While a trip to the hospital can sometimes be frightful, Pioneer Community Hospital will give parents peace of mind with candy X-rays on Halloween. The free service will be from 6 until 8 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 31. Trick-or-treaters can enter through the lobby and someone will assist them to the radiology department […]
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – The United States Postal Service released its first semipostal stamp in 1998, dedicated to raising money and awareness for breast cancer research. Since 1998, the stamp has raised $80,306,547 for breast cancer research. The USPS Mississippi District is leading the nation again this year in breast cancer stamp sales. […]
ABERDEEN – Aberdeen Building Official David Low addressed the board of aldermen Oct. 21 regarding the skating rink on N. Thayer Avenue, which he insisted the way it’s zoned, will exclusively be a skating rink before a letter of occupancy is granted. “The skating rink was shut down due to insufficiencies. They fixed the insufficiencies. […]
After months of adapting a script, scouting abandoned structures and backdrops predominantly Monroe County and filming a localized take on the internet sensation known as the Slender Man, the feature film bearing its name officially premiered last week in Tupelo to positive reviews. Monroe County natives Dylan Scott and Ryan Savage joined creative forces with […]
- School board cites lack of affordable housing to dip in enrollment October 25, 2014
- Lady Noles grab third title in four years October 29, 2014
- Amory Post Office employees support the cause October 30, 2014
- Pioneer offers candy X-rays October 30, 2014
- Supervisors OK new 911 system, opt out of building codes October 30, 2014
- Monroe football previews: Week 11 October 31, 2014
- Panthers ensure playoff spot with win at Tish County October 31, 2014
- Nettleton comes alive in second half October 31, 2014
- UPDATE: Gun threat increases school security for football game October 31, 2014
- Aberdeen kicks off holiday season with Christmas Open House October 31, 2014
- Charlotte: Heartbroken taking my kids there every week, means...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Monroe football previews: Week 11 http://t.co/fAUIpgN3TH 1 hour ago
- Gun threat increases school security for football game http://t.co/NMy1M5mxce 8 hours ago
- General election set for Nov. 4 http://t.co/5OEwr8wbb5 11 hours ago
- Bond set for two subjects charged in recent ICE bust http://t.co/yHYzef2FQI 1 day ago
- RT @cityofamoryMS: @monroe360 5-7 Frisco Park Funraiser Festival! Chili Cookoff, pumpkins, entertainment, Trick-or-Treat, costume contest, … 1 day ago retweeted via cityofamoryMS