EGYPT – Oct. 23. On this day in history, the first North American transcontinental air service began from New York to Los Angeles in 1929, the United Nations General Assembly convenes for the first time in 1946 and Mary Forshee Gladney, who still keeps a smile on her face, is born in Aberdeen in 1914. […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
STARKVILLE – It was a weekend some saw coming while others never thought they’d live to see the day. Mississippi State University’s 38-23 win over Auburn University Oct. 11 projected the then #3 ranked team past Florida State to sit atop the college football world after the polls were announced the next day. As cowbells […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Antoine Terrell Griffin, Jr., 20, of Aberdeen Oct. 20. Griffin is accused of allegedly chasing another vehicle on Highway 25 South. While chasing that vehicle, Griffin allegedly hit another vehicle at the intersection of Highway 25 and Marina Road. Griffin is charged with no insurance, leaving the scene of […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office has started its Christmas Toy Drive. The public is asked to donate new toys at any of the following locations: Wal-Mart, Loden’s Body Shop or Carlisle Cleaners, all in Amory or at Monroe County Sheriff’s Office in Aberdeen on Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. The department […]
Throughout the entire alcohol issue in Amory, I would casually let people know I didn’t have a dog in that fight when the conversation pointed at that. I could see positives from both sides of the fence and wasn’t afraid to say that alcohol being an economic savior for the town and a complete demoralizer […]
The Itawamba Community College Homecoming Court will be presented, Saturday Oct. 25, at 11:30 a.m. in the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus and during halftime of the before the ICC/Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College football game, which begins at 3:30 p.m. The 2014 Itawamba Community College Homecoming Court […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Robert Tyler Myers, 31, of Hamilton Oct. 18. The arrest was the result of a traffic stop on Cockerham Road. Myers is charged with felony possession of a controlled substance. Bond has not been set and subject is still in custody at Monroe County Detention Center.
The Amory Police Department arrested Secresha Lana Elliott, 23, and Rycardo Kentrell Morgan, 23, both of Amory. The two were charged with retaliation against a witness. According to reports filed by the APD, the incident happened Oct. 13 on F Avenue. Bond for both subjects was set at $5,000.00 by Judge Kevin Crook.
ABERDEEN – There was no family history of breast cancer in Barbara Ann Rowe’s genes, but there was the history of being raised by a tough mother and tough father. That same raising could have been what allowed her to skip four stages of grief and just accept the fact she was diagnosed with breast […]
- Nettleton woman arrested for Possession of Ice October 17, 2014
- Bukka White Festival celebrates the blues this weekend October 17, 2014
- County is not immune to domestic violence October 23, 2014
- Wishing for a movie script ending before theater rolls its final credits October 23, 2014
- Old Armory poised to host bluegrass sounds October 23, 2014
- Laughter is one of the best medicines for centurion October 24, 2014
- Miss Mississippi State University crowned at best time to be a Bulldog October 24, 2014
- Lions cruise at Biggersville October 23, 2014
- Bulldogs blasted by defending champions October 23, 2014
- Tigers blasted at Kemper October 23, 2014
- kyle ruff: I miss you...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Laughter is one of the best medicines for centurion http://t.co/6MmyRSA1vU 4 hours ago
- Miss Mississippi State University crowned at best time to be a Bulldog http://t.co/nlJmpewbYP 4 hours ago
- Alleged wild ride leads to multiple charges for Aberdeen man http://t.co/kRTatdQaW4 16 hours ago
- MCSO launches annual Christmas Toy Drive http://t.co/MpkdsZpy2z 17 hours ago
- County is not immune to domestic violence http://t.co/4ezrHJBPLS 20 hours ago