AMORY – Grant and Joyce Owens have been serving their community for 50 years with either grocery items or advice. The Owens’ grocery store is a place for people to get physical and spiritual food. To the Owens’, the two go hand-in-hand. On Nov. 22, a Thanksgiving event was held honoring them for their service […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
By CAROLYN PARSON /For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The board of aldermen Nov. 18 unanimously approved the city’s support of fishing tournaments next year that will gain attention from not just across the state and region, but from across the nation. “The city will incur some expenses for these events, but the estimated revenue […]
Itawamba Community College’s Student Juried Art Competition is currently on display in the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center Gallery at the Fulton Campus. The show, which is comprised of 53 works in a variety of media including sculpture, drawing, painting, photography and ceramics, will be up through Dec. 5. Cash awards will be given to […]
ABERDEEN – Major Warren Ellsworth Sauter died heroically in October 1944 after directing orders against a strong enemy force near Luneville, France during World War II. Attributes in the war earned him a Silver Star, Purple Heart and the French Croix de Guerre. As a tribute, the town of Charmes, France has adopted his grave. […]
ABERDEEN – During his one-year tour of duty in Vietnam, Capt. Robert Barrett estimates he helped transport between 2,000 and 4,000 troops while serving as an aircraft commander on a U.S. Army UH-1H medical evacuation helicopter, but the chance of reconnecting with any of them now is seemingly one in a million. A recent chance […]
For the Monroe Journal JACKSON – Mississippi’s duck hunting season opens Nov. 27. Many waterfowl hunters are anxiously waiting, due to record breeding population estimates last spring. However, hunters should remember that winter severity and local habitat availability also play a major role in how many ducks make their way to Mississippi. The hunting season […]
For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – American Legion Auxiliary Unit 26 held its third annual Veterans Day Balloon release for local veterans Nov. 8. More than 150 balloons were released honoring living and deceased veterans, along with POW/MIAs. “This has grown to be one of our favorite events over the past years,” said Diane Belue, […]
ABERDEEN – Aberdeen police made an arrest last weekend in connection to a stolen car case reported in Tupelo, which followed another case of a stolen vehicle from Aberdeen and recovered in Verona. Officers arrested Cornelius Bean, 17, of Okolona. According to Aberdeen Police Chief Henry Randle, Bean has been adjudicated as an adult since […]
Even with Thanksgiving a week away, scenes of the holidays have already staked claim on light poles and underneath downtown awnings and through Christmas open houses throughout the county. Approaching dates for Christmas parades make the holiday season even more real. In normal fashion, the young and young at heart will have plenty of opportunities […]
- Wicker speaks to Amory veterans’ breakfast November 19, 2014
- Auxiliary Unit 26 hosts annual balloon release November 22, 2014
- Area students work in Ole Miss sports medicine November 22, 2014
- Mississippi’s duck season opens Nov. 27 November 22, 2014
- Fall Festival chili winners share recipes November 23, 2014
- Owens Grocery serves Amory for 50 years November 26, 2014
- Aberdeen Lake lands three major 2015 fishing tournaments November 26, 2014
- Love them while we’re all here together November 26, 2014
- Tigers blast Panthers for first win of season November 25, 2014
- Student juried Aat competition currently on display at ICC November 25, 2014
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
- D. K.: Anyone knows that the more evil of the two is hard...
- Student juried Aat competition currently on display at ICC http://t.co/diRtyLetes 10 hours ago
- French town adopts grave of fallen Aberdeen WWII soldier http://t.co/8WgcgWXMRq 18 hours ago
- Veterans reconnect nearly 47 years after life-saving rescue http://t.co/s6RbrwF2Kv 18 hours ago
- Amory police search for robbery suspects http://t.co/49GZ8EwPFC 2 days ago
- Aberdeen man arrested for breaking and entering http://t.co/VOJxpZ80l4 2 days ago