AMORY – The members of the Africa University Choir can sing anything from traditional African music to classical gospel hymns in 18 different languages. What anyone who sees the group live can leave with is a feeling of an artistic, cultural experience. “It can be a catalyst to bring the community together. We’ve gotten several […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
Journal Staff Reports AMORY – Monroe County, more specifically areas of Amory, was hit by a weather system Monday, May 25 that brought down trees, caused flooding and left behind numerous damage reports in its aftermath. According to Monroe County Emergency Management Agency Director Bunky Goza, there were no injuries and no fatalities. The brunt […]
AMORY – According to Monroe County Emergency Management Agency Director Bunky Goza, there are no injuries or fatalities from high winds that swept through Monroe County Monday morning. The bulk of the damage is in Amory with the storm swath beginning at Main Street and 3rd Street S. and moved north-northeast. There was also trees […]
AMORY – Renovations began May 11 on a former post office moved Aug. 21, 2014 from Becker to the Amory Regional Museum. “It was given by Herman Sandlin who donated it in memory of his wife, Kay,” said museum director Bo Miller. “The structure was built around 1920, and it served as Becker’s Post Office […]
For the Monroe Journal JACKSON – The United States Department of Agriculture/Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) reminds agricultural producers seeking federal crop insurance that they must have their Highly Erodible Land Conservation and Wetland Conservation Certification form, commonly called form AD-1026, on file with their local USDA service center by June 1. Many farmers have […]
Every now and then, it’s great to zone out listening to the seagulls’ songs. Full moons rising over stands of pines are charming, but they’re not as easy on the eyes as when they reflect over the water. There’s something easing about the waves crashing in from far away that takes you further away from […]
AMORY – Monroe County’s Local Emergency Planning Committee, a collective of key members of the community, meets quarterly and hosts guests to discuss potential threats the county faces. At a meeting April 30, Bryan Maske, LEPC coordinator with the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, dug a little deeper into exactly what a Local Emergency Planning Committee […]
ABERDEEN – Aberdeen School District Conservator Mac Curlee approved Columbus High School assistant principal and athletic director Russell Greene as the new principal next school year for Shivers Middle School as part of the district’s personnel-heavy May agenda. “He’s a veteran educator with 24 years experience and has had experience at the middle school level,” […]
AMORY – Memorial Day services will be held May 25 at 11 a.m. at the veterans memorial site on Highway 278. Monroe County Veterans’ organizations will recognize all who have died in combat from Monroe County by reading their names in a solemn ceremony. Applications will be available for walkway memorial bricks there. For more […]
- Nettleton third-graders lead county in reading assessment May 20, 2015
- Amory basketball’s Thompson inks with Pearl River College May 23, 2015
- Hatley shortstop Waycaster makes it official with ICC May 23, 2015
- Important crop insurance deadline nearing for Mississippi producers May 24, 2015
- Offense shines in Bulldogs’ spring game May 24, 2015
- Africa choir bringing soulful sound to town May 27, 2015
- Byars named as Amory School District superintendent May 27, 2015
- Summer reading programs remedy to literary brain freeze May 27, 2015
- Storms leave their mark on Monroe County May 27, 2015
- Monroe County School Board approves personnel changes for next school year May 26, 2015
- Johndoe: Does Glen Bingham even live in AMory....I thought ...
- John Doe: Does glen Bingham even live in the city limits of ...
- Herschell Pargo: I want to commend you for your work on General you...
- Linda Brown Pearce: I so enjoyed the Railroal Festival! I only got to ...
- michelle harris: Thank you for this great article on our Craig Wayn...