ABERDEEN – A two day workshop last week began with a broad range of ideas and ended with three goals to formulate an action plan for Aberdeen Main Street’s recently awarded Livable Communities federal grant. The grant, awarded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Appalachian Regional Committee and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, was […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
Count them up. The Los Angeles riots in 1992. The David Koresh compound massacre in Waco 1993. The Oklahoma City federal building bombing in 1995. The last victim claimed by the Unabomber in 1995. The Columbine High School massacre in 1999. The Virginia Tech massacre in 2007. The Boston Marathon bombings in 2013. The number […]
The Mississippi Highway Patrol has issued an amber alert for a 2-year-old child who was abducted Wednesday morning from Caledonia. Maliah Harris is described as a white female. The subjects who are believed to have abducted are Donald Body Harris and Allison Studdard. Harris is described as a 34-year-old white male 5’11″ tall, weighing 201 […]
ABERDEEN – The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office will take part in the National Drug Take Back Initiative April 26 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. People with unwanted or expired pharmaceutical drugs can safely dispose of them during the initiative. The reasoning behind the program is to keep the community drug-free and keep the environment […]
ABERDEEN – In a 3-0 vote April 15, the board of aldermen approved a motion in a lengthy executive session to suspend Aberdeen Police Department officer Lee Johnson for five days without pay stemming from a March 11 complaint filed by Ward 4 alderman Dean Irvin. “Dean Irvin in a way is a boss, and […]
By Robin Adams April 22 was Girl Scout Volunteer Appreciation Day. As I started with the Girl Scouts a year back in August, I started with a group of 13 daisies and after a couple of months, I became the service unit manager for the North Monroe County Girl Scout service unit. I am amazed […]
What began at approximately noon Friday with a robbery and assault of a woman at a home in Alabama ended in an arrest Saturday night following a high speed chase in Tupelo. Anthony Glenn Poe of Smithville was arrested along with Karen Michelle Barker of Oxford on Blair Street in Tupelo. According to a press […]
AMORY – Retired Amory Police Department officer Billy Jones, 63, died Sunday, April 20, at 4:13 a.m. from complications from an accident that occurred April 10. According to Monroe County coroner Alan Gurley, Jones was riding his bicycle near his home when he was accidentally hit by a vehicle at the intersection of Hill Street […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Damione Rashad Randle, 25, of West Point on April 18. Randle was arrested at a traffic safety check point at Highway 45 Alternate and Strong Road. Randle is charged with possession of firearm by a convicted felon. Bond has not been set at this time. Randle is currently being […]
- Reflections of festival bring to mind the tacky and the classy April 17, 2014
- Amory runner reclaims motivation through RR Festival 5K April 21, 2014
- West Point man charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon April 21, 2014
- Former police officer dies from complications from bike accident April 21, 2014
- Gordon completes Boston Marathon April 21, 2014
- Workshop guides direction for Livable Communities grant April 24, 2014
- School board sets higher standards for val/sal status April 24, 2014
- The most ominous time of the year could be anytime, anywhere April 24, 2014
- Mississippi Highway Patrol issues amber alert for missing child April 23, 2014
- MCSO participates in Drug Take Back Initiative April 23, 2014
- former runner: I hope this program will get the financial support...
- Ronald: The pic your looking at is a different a Joshua an...
- DSG: I don't see a scratch on him??? Was that picture ...
- Here for Now: It's not like at least half the town isn't drink...
- Isn\'t This the 21st Century: Bishop Freeman I've eaten at O'charleys, Chilis,...
- Workshop guides direction for Livable Communities grant http://t.co/5MsJOJHXXd 5 hours ago
- School board sets higher standards for val/sal status http://t.co/WaglgQcXks 4 hours ago
- The most ominous time of the year could be anytime, anywhere http://t.co/utYeeVxVDe 3 hours ago
- Mississippi Highway Patrol issues amber alert for missing child http://t.co/ExR5YqCmVy 12 hours ago
- MCSO participates in Drug Take Back Initiative http://t.co/2Yx2NLJ0R3 14 hours ago