ABERDEEN – During an update to the Aberdeen School District’s P16 Council March 16, district principals shared plans in the works with their schools’ Partners in Education. According to Aberdeen Elementary School Principal Leigh Todd, Eutaw Construction has pledged to match funding raised for books by the AES parent teacher organization for her school’s library. […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
CHOCTAW – In an awards ceremony seemingly geared towards acknowledging community partnerships March 18, Aberdeen High School’s JROTC program accepted the 2015 Partnership Excellence Award at the Mississippi Association of Partners in Education Governor’s Award luncheon at Pearl River Resort. The program was selected because of a partnership between the school’s partnership with local industry, […]
For the Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – Mary Ann Tyra’s family says she’s “like a spring chicken” now that her atrial fibrillation is finally under control. Tyra, 65, of Smithville was first diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, the most common type of irregular heartbeat, in 2012. “I knew that my heart beat fast sometimes, but I […]
Some people can’t carry a tune, so we just stick with singing along to the radio in private. Some people still can’t suppress the urge to channel their creativity, so we pour out our thoughts onto paper instead. Some people want to have a household name, and some people want to change the world, but […]
By District 20 Rep. Chris Brown We passed a variety of bills this week in advance of the approaching final deadlines of the 2015 legislative session. Most of the bills were before the House for concurrence or non-concurrence. If the House voted to concur or agree with Senate amendments, the bill was sent directly to […]
ABERDEEN – Monroe County Administrator Mike King, who was hired for the position in the summer of 2012, read his official resignation March 20 to the board of supervisors, citing another job opportunity for his reason for leaving the post. After discussion of how to fill the void, supervisors approved to advertise for the position, […]
AMORY – The City of Amory has set Saturday, March 28, as a citywide cleanup day. Participants are asked to meet at Nibble Nook Restaurant for a light breakfast at 8 a.m. After the breakfast, they will be provided with gloves and garbage bags and assigned an appropriate area for appropriate ages. “We want to […]
ABERDEEN – A frustrated Aberdeen Police Chief Henry Randle rode City Hall’s elevator from the police department to the upstairs lobby March 17 with two juveniles taken in that afternoon on accusations of breaking windows at the former Aberdeen Middle School. What helped bring on that frustration? The fact that Randle had appeared in front […]
Bond amounts were set Wednesday for two subjects arrested March 23 for possession of ICE by Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes. Bond was set at $5,000 each for William Cody Corbell and Eric Steven Sutton. The two were arrested by the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office following a traffic stop on Highway 45.
- Purchase, name change tee up River Birch for big changes March 25, 2015
- Simmons shines in Lions’ division loss March 28, 2015
- If you’re big starbound, let me warn you it’s a long, hard ride March 28, 2015
- Legislative Update: March 28, 2015 March 28, 2015
- Brand shares surgical experience with Pioneer March 24, 2015
- Fidelia Club accepting applications for grants March 31, 2015
- Lions Club to raise funds, awareness March 31, 2015
- Plans for Partners in Education projects shaping up for ASD March 30, 2015
- Aberdeen JROTC program, partners accept MAPE Governor’s Award March 30, 2015
- Tabletop exercise preps emergency agencies for worst-case scenario March 30, 2015
- steve stanford: a military discount would be nice. my son-in-law ...
- carrollwhite: Sad to hear about our deputies, prayers for the 2 ...
- Truth seeker: the real story here is this woman Tried to beat th...
- Jeremy: Alice, You appear to be making two different ar...
- Ken W Holmes: Alice, the first time the ploy of "revenues going...