Last week we touched on how you can get involved to keep Amory thriving. To that end, you can support and attend the events that various civic minded committees are sponsoring. On Aug. 23, the Old Amory Reborn committee will give an old style sock hop. Attendees are encouraged to wear 50s style clothing and […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
Monroe County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested Dillon Wade Bennett, 25, of Aberdeen Aug. 19. Bennett had been at Monroe County Circuit Court on Aug. 14, 2014 when he escaped custody. Bennett was arrested earlier this afternoon at Lee County while he was attempting to board a bus to leave the state. MCSO deputies apprehended the subject […]
JACKSON – Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley Tuesday reached out to President Barack Obama, Mississippi’s Congressional Delegation and other Washington leaders in an attempt to block any federal government attempts to dispose of the nation’s nuclear waste on Mississippi soil. In a letter sent today, Presley shared copies of recent unanimously passed PSC Resolutions opposing […]
The Monroe County Chamber of Commerce will extend its helping hand to small businesses with a small business seminar series beginning Sept. 9. “Amory has become a boutique town and the question is how do you attract customers from outside Amory? How do you build a brand? If you had to pick four or five […]
For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Friends of Evans Memorial Library will host the monthly booklunch, Aug. 22 at noon, at the library. Special guest will be local Aberdeen author, Jane Nickerson, who will talk about her recently published books. Nickerson was born in Idaho and grew up in California. She received her education from […]
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – Limited personal identification data belonging to some patients who were seen at Amory Physician Practice Management during the past five years was transferred out of the organization in a criminal cyber attack by a foreign-based intruder, according to a press release from Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center. The transferred […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office’s Narcotics Unit arrested David Cade Whitehead, 37, of Aberdeen on Aug. 7. The arrest was the result of a traffic stop on Coontail Road. Whitehead was in possession of approximately one pound of marijuana. Whitehead was charged with possession of marijuana. Bond was set at $5,000 and Whitehead later bonded […]
ABERDEEN – According to Aberdeen Police Chief Henry Randle, two juveniles have been charged with strong armed robbery stemming from an Aug. 2 incident. The two allegedly held a man at gunpoint at the Highway 25 car wash and demanded money. The two were charged as adults and have since been released after bond was […]
ABERDEEN – When asked by Aberdeen City Attorney Dudley Williams how vital an increase in rural water rates is for 847 customers served by the Aberdeen Water Department is, department head Ed White summed it up simply. “You can’t survive without water,” White said. White stated politics as the obvious cause of a nearly $200,000 […]
- Amory Museum begins “Save the Cabin” campaign August 18, 2014
- City abandons alley way in neighborhood dispute August 15, 2014
- MCSO arrests Aberdeen man on possession charge August 18, 2014
- Amory native mingles with Disney princesses August 17, 2014
- Amory students part of winning Mississippi Lions Band August 18, 2014
- Cruisin’ Flashback event a throwback to when Amory thrived August 20, 2014
- If you don’t like it then say so August 20, 2014
- City of Amory to vote on alcohol sales August 19, 2014
- Aberdeen man captured after escaping custody August 19, 2014
- Presley forwards anti-nuclear waste resolution to Washington leaders and Mississippi delegation August 19, 2014
- Frank James: How in the hell was he not charged with intent to ...
- Fred G Sanford: Get Greg Beason to sell some of the scrap junk he ...
- MeriemDZ: Fourteen years ago I walked up on the porch of the...
- Tired of Giving: What happened to all of the money from the sale of...
- Poster: How small town can you get? Did anyone really ex...
- City of Amory to vote on alcohol sales http://t.co/eWSfmLTKWy 6 hours ago
- Let’s Grow Amory petition drive had enough signatures to get the issue on the ballot. @cityofamoryMS 6 hours ago
- Alcohol vote set for Oct. 14 in Amory. 6 hours ago
- Aberdeen man captured after escaping custody http://t.co/OWlvVnrDug 10 hours ago
- Presley forwards anti-nuclear waste resolution to Washington leaders and Mississippi delegation http://t.co/WWbl9BzHe7 15 hours ago