For the Monroe Journal The Mississippi State Department of Health’s (MSDH) Office of Tobacco Control has awarded the community tobacco control grant for the Mississippi Tobacco-Free Coalition of Itawamba and Monroe counties. Monies from the grant are used by the Mississippi Tobacco-Free Coalition to prevent tobacco use, encourage tobacco cessation and eliminate exposure to secondhand […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
Mrs. Bender stared at her doctor’s framed medical diploma while trying to recall her parents’ health issues. “Well, that’s all in the past,” she stammered. Not one to seek medical help over the years and now age 81, Mrs. Bender struggled to piece together her own medical history, let alone her parents’. “I think my […]
BY JOHN H. WARD/For the Monroe Journal AMORY – “You mean you’re really gonna be MAD?” rang out a voice from among the children. The guest presenter of July 10’s summer reading program at the Amory Library was Scientific Stacy from Mad Science MidSouth, a leading science enrichment provider delivering unique, hands-on science experiences for […]
ABERDEEN – A heart-felt talk Thursday about the dangers of drugs from a Monroe County Sheriff’s Office narcotics officer to participants of the agency’s summer youth program was a snippet of the four-day experience. “Growing up is about making mistakes, but life is about how you learn from them,” said narcotics officer Chris Smith. The […]
ABERDEEN – A clear message ringing out louder than the muffle of chatter in the audience during July 15’s board of aldermen meeting was that city officials want a more organized way of handling citizen input. In a 3-1 vote motioned by Ward 2 Alderman Wilchie Clay and seconded by Ward 3 Aldermen Sammie Burroughs, […]
As a supporter of the First Amendment, I’m all for freedom of speech. As a newspaper editor, I’m all for hearing people’s complaints about the Monroe Journal to strive to make what we do better. As a newspaper reporter, I’m all about hearing citizens’ concerns about their city – to a degree. Given I aim […]
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Visitors Bureau will close out its summer outdoor movie series Thursday with the 1982 classic film, ‘E.T.,’ at dark. The Steven Spielberg science fiction film centers on a lonely boy’s friendship with an extraterrestrial stranded on Earth. “It’s an all time favorite family movie. There are plenty of people now whose […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested William Rashad Wilson, 26, of Houston July 22 on the charge of livestock theft. Wilson is accused of stealing cattle from a farm on Camargo Road earlier this month. Bond has not been set and Wilson is currently being housed at Monroe County Detention Center.
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – Amory’s Old Armory Reborn Committee (O.A.R.) has received a $3,000 grant to improve acoustics in the recently renovated building. The grant is part of the Appalachian Community Learning Project, which is a six month community development program coordinated by the Rensselaerville Institute based in New York and Mississippi State […]
- Pro-alcohol group turns in needed number of signatures July 23, 2014
- Alley access subject of neighborhood quarrel July 24, 2014
- First Friends sets date for annual fundraiser July 21, 2014
- Nettleton’s Hawkins leads Jones to another title July 24, 2014
- Mississippi tax-free shopping set for July 25-26 July 25, 2014
- Gilmore Hospital offers patients and community better food options July 27, 2014
- Health department awards tobacco-free coalitions grant July 27, 2014
- Umfress named vice president of student affairs July 26, 2014
- Documenting your family’s medical history benefits current and future generations July 26, 2014
- Mad Science at the library July 25, 2014
- Meia: Hi ...
- Cletus Snow: #1, my name isn't John, Cletus or Snow. #2, I nev...
- Guest: 1st of all, my name is "John"... Nor is it reall...
- Jason: Ya know i grew up in Amory and more than half of t...
- Letskeepamoryclean: You are very right John "Cletus" Snow. It will b...
- Gilmore Hospital offers patients and community better food options http://t.co/8vWXV1f8AB 14 hours ago
- Health department awards tobacco-free coalitions grant http://t.co/uY4XP3VA8X 14 hours ago
- Umfress named vice president of student affairs http://t.co/Xcs8IpjJ72 2 days ago
- Documenting your family’s medical history benefits current and future generations http://t.co/bgfpZgI1Lc 2 days ago
- Mad Science at the library http://t.co/xZIZmzHHDq 2 days ago