There was once a time when the last week of August was when students in the 1980s and 1990s would’ve started a new school year. Even before that, school bells wouldn’t have rung until the day after Labor Day before the late 1970s. I lived for the better part of two years in a college […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, the reward for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for shooting Monroe County deputy Eric Sloan Monday has increased to $7,000. Anyone with any information is asked to call the MCSO at 369-2468.
Gentiva Home Health and Hospice will conclude its 11th annual food drive benefiting the county’s food pantries at the end of August. Throughout the month, drop-off locations have been available in Aberdeen, Amory and Smithville. Gentiva is part of the Kindred at Home family of home healthcare, and last year’s food drive yielded 838,000 pounds […]
ABERDEEN – Representatives of Monroe Gas Storage chose not to be present at the Aug. 21 board of supervisors meeting, but rather sent an objection to the facility’s 2015 tax assessment, which the board overruled. Owners of the facility filed for a reduction of assessment to $20 million with the county, a $6 million decrease […]
By CAROLYN PARSON /For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The biggest discussion of the Aug. 18 board of aldermen meeting centered around the city’s comp time policy for employees. The current policy states that employees take comp time within 30 days of acquiring the time. Mayor Cecile Belle said that the 30-day policy isn’t adequate […]
According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, the reward for any information leading to the arrest of the person responsible for shooting deputy Eric Sloan Monday has increased to $5,750. The shooter, who left the scene of the shooting on Highway 45 Alternate near the Okolona exit, was last seen traveling south. He is described […]
Just shy of 21 percent of registered Democratic voters in 19 of the county’s 26 precincts cast votes Aug. 25 to determine which of the county’s candidates in three party runoffs will advance to the November general election. The Mississippi House of Representatives District 36 Democratic seat was also on the ballot. After the Aug. […]
Out of 899 miles of paved roads in Monroe County, there are miles of open road opportunities for drivers to see what the “old gal” can do to get them there quicker. To debunk some drivers’ need for speed, the county recently purchased a digital speed monitor that will rotate throughout each of the county […]
If they go unwritten, it’s usually not too many more weeks, or even days, until somebody posts on the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page with a concern of people speeding somewhere. No matter if a motor vehicle was built with enough torque and aerodynamics to go fast or not; as long as the speedometer […]
- Conservator approves August agenda for Aberdeen Schools District August 22, 2015
- Panthers fall on road at MRA August 26, 2015
- Cougars take advantage of Lions’ mistakes in route August 26, 2015
- Tigers roar for season-opening win August 26, 2015
- City employee comp time a talking point for Aberdeen aldermen August 27, 2015
- Lady Panthers successful in defending Monroe County tourney title August 29, 2015
- I’ll tell you just how good it can be August 29, 2015
- Monroe football scores: Week 2 August 28, 2015
- Monroe football previews: Week 2 August 28, 2015
- Monroe County residents have access to good mental health care August 28, 2015
- Michael: That's why we need better sidewalks and crosswalk...
- Body of missing Bartlett fisherman found - Bartlett ExpressBartlett Express: […] an earlier story about the search effort...
- Helen Whitten: How would itawamba county go about getting these r...
- debbie jones: Why in the world is the bond so low? Is $5000 all ...
- Linda: These folks were operating in Nashville several ye...