About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Benjamin Allen Morris, 25, and Jamie Lynn Jones, both of Columbus Feb. 12. Jones was charged with possession of methamphetamine while Morris were charged with possession of methamphetamine with intent. Robert Alan Duncan, 49, of Smithville was arrested Feb. 12 and charged with possession of marijuana. All three subjects […]
ABERDEEN – The board of supervisors lent its support Feb. 5 to a washout problem the City of Aberdeen has faced regarding an exposed sewer line off of South Matubba Street behind Axiall through a resolution requesting assistance from Tombigbee River Valley Water Management District. The city had previously requested the resolution, but supervisor action […]
When Seeking Seven’s last album dropped in 2012, music streaming service Spotify was growing in popularity months after its U.S. debut, giving people one more reason to not purchase music. With its new CD, ‘Chaos Before the Fall,’ released this week, the band reverted back to the basics in the recording process by crafting it […]
TUPELO – A roundtable of Aberdeen officials and citizens whittled down broad ideas into an attainable goal Feb. 4 at the Renasant Center of IDEAS as part of a Strategic Doing pilot program facilitated by Mississippi State University’s Stennis Institute and the University of North Alabama. “Sparkplugs are groups of people who would rather do […]
Let’s face it, Aberdeen. Roadsnacks.net contributor Nick James likes to stir us up with science, as his disclaimers state. Landing in his top 10 lists for most dumb and most ghetto and even worst places to live in Mississippi lists, the site stands behind its findings based on factors like unemployment rates, household incomes, education […]
Mallory Johnston began her duties as a staff writer and photographer for the Monroe Journal Feb. 1. She will graduate from the Mississippi University for Women in August. “I did this for a learning experience. I want to do this to build on my talents and hopefully be able to branch out of my comfort […]
According to a press release from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, Brandy Lynn Wiley, 35, and Charles Timothy Hester-Reprise, 30, both of Amory, were arrested in Amory on Feb. 9 and charged with possession of methamphetamine. They are currently being held in the Monroe County Detention Center awaiting arraignment. In a separate case, Elmer Randell […]
By CAROLYN PARSON/FOR THE MONROE JOURNAL ABERDEEN – The dream of a new revitalization project was the highlight of the Feb. 2 Aberdeen aldermen meeting. Denise Dobbs, director of Aberdeen Housing Authority, presented the board with a plan to apply for a revitalization project for the area at S.J. Jones Circle at Canal Street. Dobbs […]
Those qualified for the April 5 Aberdeen City Elections include Mayor Cecil S. Belle (incumbent) John Allen, Jr. Maurice Howard Leigh LaSonya Matthews Robert Simmons, Jr. Ward 1 Alderman Alonzo Sykes (incumbent) Robert A. Devaull Terry D. Smith Robert Walker Ward 2 Alderman Wilchie Clay (incumbent) Delores Quinn-Badie Lady B. Garth Terry Morgan Curley Payne […]
- If not the truth, the conspiracy theories are out there February 6, 2016
- MCSO arrests three on meth charges February 10, 2016
- Panthers thwarted in state championship finals February 10, 2016
- Johnston joins Monroe Journal staff February 11, 2016
- Job shadowing is another idea of keeping us out of the shadows February 11, 2016
- Nettleton dual-sport athlete Long signs with ICC February 13, 2016
- Total knee replacement was easier than I expected February 13, 2016
- MCSO arrests three for drug charges February 12, 2016
- Lady Noles, Noles come out on top over rival Hamilton February 12, 2016
- McKissick leads Lady Panthers to victory February 12, 2016
- Diva: Thank God I won't be called for jury duty on this...
- carrollwhite: Come to Aberdeen on our street you can smell it al...
- Kim Stringfield: There have been a lot of huskies come up missing i...
- Laurenda Provias Richardson: Very well written Ray !!! All the memories ... All...
- shanette: Good for MCSO! I hope this case will bring much ne...