ABERDEEN – Aberdeen Main Street will continue a yearly tradition Oct. 10-24 with its scarecrow trail, which adds a little more autumnal curb appeal near the entryways of several downtown businesses. “It’s a lot of fun. People come to town, and everybody loves to look at these displays. When the weather gets cooler, everybody likes […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
Tyler Bailey, 21, of Amory, was arrested in Amory on Oct. 9 by the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office for conspiracy to sell a controlled substance. He is currently being held in the Monroe County Detention Center awaiting arraignment.
According to the Amory Police Department, officers arrested Shamor Lidell Billups, 24, of Columbus on the felony charge of burglary of a commercial building. He was also charged with a misdemeanor of first offense shoplifting. He is also on hold for Lowndes County and the Mississippi Department of Corrections. Felony bond was revoked by Monroe […]
According to Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley, a man wanted in connection to several breaking and entering cases in Monroe and Itawamba counties died Sunday afternoon as the result of a traffic accident. Joseph Michael Keller, 34, of Amory was spotted by a citizen in a cemetery on Winders Road near Hamilton. The citizen notified […]
ABERDEEN – Pioneer Preventive Points, a monthly series hosted by Pioneer Community Hospital, will begin Oct. 13 with an educational seminar about flu and pneumonia vaccines hosted by Dr. Mark Friloux from 3 until 4 p.m. “One of our goals is to provide the highest quality of care. Through doing that, we have started community […]
October means a lot of things to a lot of different people…the welcoming of autumn temperatures, falling leaves, corn mazes, tricks and treats, haunted houses, more intense football schedules. The lists can go on and on and on for a while. Along with the light-hearted and heartwarming elements of the greatest month of the calendar […]
AMORY – They say that wide-eyed history buffs aren’t the only ones that roam through the display parlors and hallways of the Amory Regional Museum. The building that formerly served as the Gilmore Sanitarium is said to still play host to spirits that made it thrive in that capacity for much of the 1900s. Monroe […]
HATLEY – You can’t kill pop culture. Any under the entertainment radar-inclined person can do is to keep flipping past reality shows and not click on TMZ. “Pop culture is definitely anything mainstream like ‘Keeping Up With The Kardashians’ or anything on the red carpet. We focus on the underground culture and now-a-days, the underground […]
For the Monroe Journal Area residents who visit Itawamba Community College GED prep class sites through Oct. 31 can take the GED Ready practice test for $1 as part of a special back-to-school discount. Sites include ICC GED classes at the ICC Belden Center and WIN Job Centers in Pontotoc, Amory and Houston. “Students who […]
- Local chapters host National DAR Day of Service October 6, 2015
- Moore leads as Noles top Falkner October 8, 2015
- Nerd talk: Podcast exposes underground entertainment and tries to ‘Kill Pop Culture’ October 9, 2015
- Paranormal group explores spirited history of Gilmore Sanitarium October 9, 2015
- Just in case you weren’t already aware… October 10, 2015
- Aberdeen Main Street gets into fall spirit with scarecrow trail October 13, 2015
- LifeSpring Ministries Walk-A-Thon Nov. 7 October 13, 2015
- MCSO arrests Amory man October 12, 2015
- Amory police arrest three on various charges October 12, 2015
- Wanted subject dies in vehicle accident October 12, 2015
- shelia allen: i have said this before and I will say it again yo...
- Michael: That's why we need better sidewalks and crosswalk...
- Body of missing Bartlett fisherman found - Bartlett ExpressBartlett Express: […] an earlier story about the search effort...
- Helen Whitten: How would itawamba county go about getting these r...
- debbie jones: Why in the world is the bond so low? Is $5000 all ...