The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office’s Narcotics Unit, with the assistance of the Mississippi Department of Corrections, arrested William Grady Prestridge, 48, of Greenwood Springs Dec. 16. Prestridge was arrested on Commerce Street in Aberdeen and charged with possession of methamphetamine and parole violation. Prestridge was currently on probation with the Mississippi Department of Corrections. Prestridge […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
ABERDEEN – A Mississippi Department of Archives and History grant matched by the City of Aberdeen has secured documentation of a large swath of downtown that could provide for the beginning steps of a local preservation district, much like the Silk Stocking Row Historical District. The grant provides for all 250 structures in the area […]
WREN – According to Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley, a single vehicle accident claimed the life of a Wren resident Tuesday. Forty-year-old Glenn Allen Garrett of Little Coontail Road was found lying beside his badly damaged 2002 Ford F-150 Tuesday at approximately 3 p.m. after another driver discovered the wreckage while driving on Sand Hill […]
By Austin Haney /For the Monroe Journal WREN – So what does it take to go from dairy farm to runway? For one thing, a lot of work. A few miles west of Amory is a little community called Wren, and in that community off Highway 45 is a house with approximately 200 acres of […]
ABERDEEN – Continuing a Christmas tradition, the Aberdeen Visitors Bureau will provide a free screening of “Polar Express” at the Elkin Theatre Dec. 18 at 7 p.m. Doors open at 6:15 p.m. for crafts projects, a photobooth and last minute chances to tell Santa Claus about present requests. On top of all that, the event […]
For the Monroe Journal The deadline for adult learners who will attend classes at Itawamba Community College during the 2015 spring semester and who have not been enrolled in college for the previous two years to apply for an Adult Learner Incentive Scholarship is Jan. 12. The scholarship is designed to provide an incentive for […]
By Sen. Roger Wicker It is not surprising that the Obama administration chose to announce its latest environmental regulation on the eve of the Thanksgiving holiday. With Americans traveling and families busy preparing meals for loved ones, there was a good chance that the costly and unnecessary proposal could slip by unnoticed. This particular regulation, […]
Few Mississippi businesses carry more weight in discussion of highways and bridges than the industries using big truck to haul millions of pounds of raw goods and finished products on our state’s roads virtually every day. Some industries like the furniture manufacturers in Northeast Mississippi and the poultry processors and in southeast Mississippi own, lease […]
For the Monroe Journal Magnolia State high school students are invited to enter the Mississippi State University 2015 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Essay Contest. Ninth-12th graders enrolled in any Mississippi high school may respond to the 2015 theme question, “The Enduring Legacy of Dr. King: How Does His Legacy of Social Justice and Non-violent […]
- Supervisors approve airport advisory committee bylaws December 12, 2014
- Land transforms from dairy farm to air strip December 16, 2014
- Amory soccer starts out division play with wins December 16, 2014
- One vehicle accident claims life of Wren man December 16, 2014
- Aberdeen taking hopeful steps towards new historical district December 17, 2014
- Lady Noles edge out Tremont in rematch December 18, 2014
- Robinson selected as new county school board member December 18, 2014
- NAACP approaches Amory School Board with list of complaints December 18, 2014
- Wave hand Bulldogs first loss December 17, 2014
- Greenwood Springs man faces drug charge, parole violation December 17, 2014
- Diva: Nothing like doing the meth with the kids!...
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
- Robinson selected as new county school board member http://t.co/QGYW2XDuVO 6 hours ago
- NAACP approaches Amory School Board with list of complaints http://t.co/6fHTsa89NM 6 hours ago
- Greenwood Springs man faces drug charge, parole violation http://t.co/S36hkXWlcq 1 day ago
- Financial difficulties force upcoming sale of River Birch http://t.co/IUg6zxmkbj 1 day ago
- Aberdeen taking hopeful steps towards new historical district http://t.co/v59HIRoae5 1 day ago