Like I typed in response to a text later on that night, it wasn’t the first time that day I heard a girl say she thought Caitlyn Jenner was prettier than she was. I once dated a girl who loved to keep up with the Kardashians, but I was usually in the other room watching […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
ABERDEEN – Growing up, Henry Hammack and his family spent other ways to bond than in front of a television screen since they didn’t own one at the time. However, he remembers a time when Friday night fights helped him and his father, Claude, connect on a different level. “Dad was a boxing fan, […]
AMORY – During the Mississippi Main Street Awards, held June 18 in Jackson, Amory Main Street went down with 10 representatives and came back with bragging rights. For its exterior building rehabilitation, Edward Jones won the Best Facade Rehabilitation Under $10,000 Award. This award recognizes the best single façade renovation project under $10,000 that […]
On the first day of school, there are always great stories to be told about the adventures of vacations, summer blockbusters and birthday parties to be told after students reunite with friends. Those ‘What I did on my summer vacation’ reports may be easy A’s, but so many tales of Gulf Shores all bleed into […]
For the Monroe Journal “Station Eleven” By Emily St. John Mandel **** Station Eleven,” by Emily St. John Mandel, is that rare and wonderful thing, an easily accessible science fiction novel. Really, it’s more pure speculative fiction than science fiction, as the science isn’t prominent in the story. Pretty much anybody could read and enjoy […]
For the Monroe Journal Research shows that men are four times less likely to consult a doctor when they experience medical problems. As a result, men are much more likely to need an emergency admission to a hospital with a serious or life-threatening condition which could have been prevented or dealt with at an earlier […]
For the Monroe Journal Registration has been scheduled for the second summer term at Itawamba Community College. The summer schedule includes open registration for second-term traditional day classes, June 30, from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. in the office of the registrar/director of admission in the Administration Building at the Fulton Campus and in the […]
For the Monroe Journal The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks (MDWFP) will participate in Operation Dry Water June 26-28 as part of a nationally coordinated effort to reduce the number of accidents and fatalities related to boating under the influence (BUI). Operation Dry Water aims to bring awareness and education to recreational boaters […]
ABERDEEN – After saying she’d been approached with requests for signs to try to slow drivers down at three different locations in her district, District 3 Supervisor Carol Crawford asked other supervisors June 22 if speed seemed to be a countywide problem. “I get calls a lot, but without an enforcement tool…,” said District 1 […]
- Military career puts extra fight in Amory’s native’s bout with cancer June 24, 2015
- Host Panthers outslug Trojans during NEMCABB regional round June 26, 2015
- ICC schedules second summer term registration June 27, 2015
- Dodging the Doctor? Real men get an annual check up June 27, 2015
- Recipes are not yo’ mama’s homemade ice cream June 28, 2015
- Tigers edged out late by Commodores June 30, 2015
- Vanilla isn’t as exciting as Ben and Jerry’s, but it still tastes good June 30, 2015
- Boxing match puts locals on the ropes with different experiences June 30, 2015
- Amory Main Street member wins statewide honor June 29, 2015
- Summer learning keeps minds sharp and helps tell a better host of stories June 29, 2015
- Linda: These folks were operating in Nashville several ye...
- Ty: If what the writer said were true,minor traffic st...
- Ray Van Dusen: That contact number is 640-2043. Have a blast if y...
- KMyhand: Any contact information or details on how to book ...
- Johndoe: Does Glen Bingham even live in AMory....I thought ...