For the Monroe Journal JACKSON—Officials from upholstered reclining furniture manufacturer HomeStretch, Inc. announce the company is expanding its operations in Nettleton by adding 60,000 square feet of manufacturing and warehouse space to its existing facility. The project will create 60 new jobs, bringing the number of employees at the Nettleton location to approximately 250. “This […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
ABERDEEN – Fifty-three individuals from 23 countries were sworn in Friday as U.S. citizens in a naturalization ceremony by U.S. District Senior Judge Glen H. Davidson, who urged them to be active participants by voting and happily serving on juries as they mesh into their newly acquired citizenships. “You’re the fresh minds and innovators we […]
The Mississippi Highway Patrol is issuing an Amber Alert for 17-year-old Katelyn Beard, who was abducted Sunday morning between 6 and 7 a.m. from 4244 Lynda Street in Jackson. She is described as a white female, with long brown hair, brown eyes, 5 feet four, inches tall and weighing 140 pounds. She was last seen accompanied […]
Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes set bond Friday for the three subjects arrested following a standoff in Bigbee Wednesday. A $1 million cash bond was set for Steven Alton Brantley while bond was set at $20,000 each for David Little and Crystal Bosch. All three subjects have been charged with possession of a […]
For the Monroe Journal U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency Administrator Juan M. Garcia announced that farmers can now enroll in the Cotton Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) through Oct. 7, 2014. The program, created by the 2014 Farm Bill, provides interim payments to cotton producers during the 2014 crop year until the Stacked […]
For the Monroe Journal Registration is under way for a CPR – First Aid – AED class at Itawamba Community College. The class will meet from 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Sept. 27, at ICC-Belden (3200 Adams Farm Road). The course is taught according to the American Heart Association standards for individuals with limited or no medical […]
AMORY – Empower Mississippi President Grant Callen will take questions Sept. 4 regarding a special needs bill for the 2015 Mississippi Legislature. The Equal Opportunity for Students with Special Needs Act would give parents access to an Individualized Education Fund that can be used to pay for a variety of services including therapy, tutoring, tuition […]
By CAROLYN PARSON/For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – In the absence of Mayor Cecil Belle, Ward 5 Alderman John Allen presided over the Aug. 19 board of aldermen meeting, highlighted by the approval of new employees. The board approved Carrie Kendrick for patrol and Mairiel Heard for dispatch for the Aberdeen Police Department. Javoni Jones […]
HATLEY – Students packed tight in Hatley’s gymnasium’s bleachers held homemade signs and donned orange in a show of support Aug. 20 for #TeamSerra. Serra Pearson is battling an extremely rare form of dysautonomia, a condition that causes the body to detect some type of cancer and, in an attempt to fight the cancer, creates […]
- Residents brainstorm to strategize for future of Aberdeen August 26, 2014
- ICC schedules CPR/AED class August 29, 2014
- Panthers surge in second half at Independence August 29, 2014
- Bulldogs light up scoreboard in Shannon August 29, 2014
- Baldwyn tops Nettleton August 29, 2014
- HomeStretch expanding Nettleton operations September 2, 2014
- Milkshakes have been with McDonald’s from its humble beginnings September 2, 2014
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 53 of nation’s newest citizens September 1, 2014
- MHP issues statewide Amber Alert August 31, 2014
- Kimbrough’s cooking comes from a country raising August 31, 2014
- Belinda Sue Beckley: Dr.Neil Wanee was my Dr in Fishers, Indiana for 4 ...
- Doug Cuthbert: You are correct I am not registered to vote here. ...
- weedeater: Great job for Amory's new mayor! Shoot down the ...
- Frank James: How in the hell was he not charged with intent to ...
- Fred G Sanford: Get Greg Beason to sell some of the scrap junk he ...
- HomeStretch expanding Nettleton operations http://t.co/jXjrkd2Fjm 2 hours ago
- Milkshakes have been with McDonald’s from its humble beginnings http://t.co/t7KRxTILuk 2 hours ago
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 53 of nation’s newest citizens http://t.co/Ydb28CVRkC 1 day ago
- MHP issues statewide Amber Alert http://t.co/If2YMG629e 1 day ago
- Kimbrough’s cooking comes from a country raising http://t.co/rLDsyxJ1g8 2 days ago