NETTLETON – According to Nettleton City Clerk Dana Burcham, the Nettleton Christmas Parade is still scheduled to start at 7 p.m. Monday. If the weather is questionable for parade time, a decision will be made later this afternoon.
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
The Amory Police Department arrested Matthew Roosevelt Gunn, 26, of Amory on the charge of possession of a Schedule II drug. Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes set bond at $10,000.
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen School District applied for a 21st Century learning community grant last year and received notification in July that it would be awarded to the district. Being the majority of his November agenda for the district, conservator Mac Curlee approved personnel for the literacy-based program. “The grant will focus on literature throughout […]
AMORY – A stop for $5’s worth of gasoline at Murphy USA turned into a reminder of the good in the world for an Aberdeen couple on Veterans Day. “We were just going to get enough gas to get us home and to Columbus to get it cheaper,” said Lee Harris. “Ed had his army […]
By M. SCOTT MORRIS /Daily Journal NEW SALEM – The difference between the ordinary and the extraordinary can be a near thing. On one level, the effort people gave on Willie “Butch” Steele’s behalf recently was simple. “Friends helping friends,” said Nancy White, 62, of Jasper, Texas. Steele’s usually the guy giving the help. A […]
For the Monroe Journal Itawamba Community College representatives will visit three area WIN Centers Nov. 30 to enable area residents to register for the 2016 spring semester. Times and locations include 9 a.m.-noon at Houston, Amory and Pontotoc. The come-and-go event is designed for current and returning students, GED graduates, transfer students, new students and […]
By Alan Morgan/chief executive officer of the National Rural Health Association Many rural hospitals are struggling to keep their doors open in the face of rising costs. Fifty-eight have closed since 2010 and many more may follow if the pharmaceutical industry gets its way and dismantles a little-known federal drug discount program called 340B. Congress […]
AMORY – Classes began Oct. 13 for students at the new Amory Cosmetology Academy. The new academy was a dream come to fruition for owner Robin Carroll. “My mother was a teacher, and I always wanted to teach but fought it. I just did not want to teach in the school system,” said Carroll. “I […]
ABERDEEN – It’s anybody’s game Saturday between Mississippi State and Ole Miss, but for Belle Elementary School’s 2nd Annual Egg Bowl Nov. 20, the Bulldogs are 2-0 for the series that encourages students to represent the state’s biggest universities and increase accelerated reader percentages. “The participation this year is much higher. There was a very […]
- Seriously, it’s just a cup; now you see there are more important talking points to discuss November 24, 2015
- Amory Cosmetology Academy provides education in hair and nails November 27, 2015
- Noles okay with the underdog role November 27, 2015
- Bulldogs aiming to get over Charleston hump November 27, 2015
- Rural hospitals are at risk November 28, 2015
- Nettleton Christmas parade still planned for tonight November 30, 2015
- Amory man faces drug charge November 30, 2015
- Curlee approves 21st Century personnel for Aberdeen schools November 30, 2015
- Monroe County School Board given an update on career technical center November 30, 2015
- Impressive PARCC scores a talking point of Amory School Board meeting November 30, 2015
- Marty Harris: I hope that they do get the speeders slowed down b...
- Scott: Thanks Chris, cool to see you guys doing these thi...
- Kelly Wolfe: Dr. Neil Wanee had been our family doctor for 28 y...
- Carlos: This sounds really nice. I think it not possible d...
- WeldingTodayDotCom : Good thing that women also are showing their inter...