For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Monroe County farmer Chris Ausborn has directed a $2,500 donation to Relay for Life. Funded by America’s Farmers Grow Communities, the donation will be forwarded to the American Cancer Society, which helps with awareness, research and treatment programs. Thanks to the support of farmers across the country, more than […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
Special to Monroe Journal A North Carolina native and former director of the James Brown band who had family ties to Monroe County was laid to rest Feb. 1. Nathaniel Leon (Nat) Jones, 74, died Jan. 24 in Kenasville, N.C. He was the father of Natdrick Lamon Jones of N.L. Jones and Son Funeral Directors […]
ABERDEEN – Given the fact one of the Hamilton Volunteer Fire Department’s trucks is expected to be out of commission for the next several weeks, the board of supervisors approved a motion Friday to purchase a new fire truck for the department through the county’s general fund. The board accepted the low bid from Rosenbauer […]
I honestly thought last Monday was merely the anniversary of Mickey Rooney’s passing when the CBS Morning News stated it was remembering the Hollywood legend that day. After realizing my mistake and learning he had passed away the day before, I learned he was a 93-year-old who still occasionally appeared in front of the camera […]
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Police Department and Monroe County Sheriff’s Office responded to a one vehicle accident Thursday afternoon at the Matubby Creek bridge on Meridian Street near the Aberdeen city limits. Johnny Drake of Aberdeen was the driver of a Dodge Ram pickup truck that slammed into the guard rail of the bridge before […]
ABERDEEN – The Monroe County Extension Service will host ‘The Best Tomatoes in the Neighborhood Workshop’ Tuesday, April 22 at 6 p.m. to give gardeners tips on how to get the best results from their crop. Topics discussed will be different tactics about growing tomatoes by way of best practices, no-stoop gardening, new tactics for […]
As part of a fresh look and brand building campaign for the Monroe County Chamber of Commerce, a new logo tops its masthead and a new website is going live piece by piece. “One of my goals for the chamber is to improve our brand or image so a logo is part of it, but […]
ABERDEEN – As part of the statewide information tour of the Secretary of State’s office, local representatives will be at City Hall Thursday, April 17 at 6 p.m. to inform the public and answer questions about the state’s Voter ID law. Beginning with the June 3 primary election this year, individuals voting at the polls […]
From Brad Locke, Daily Journal NETTLETON – The three men killed in a shootout on Main Street have been identified as two brothers and an acquaintance. Otis Eugene Bass, 49, and Joseph Bass, 44, both of Shannon died at the scene and Jamie Guin, 33, of Mantachie, died at North Mississippi Medical Center, according to […]
- County named in $500,000 lawsuit April 15, 2014
- New logo, website signal image makeover for chamber April 17, 2014
- Otis Bass identified as Nettleton shooter April 17, 2014
- MSU Extension Service hosts tomato workshop April 17, 2014
- Strong pitching, hitting lift Tigers over Walnut April 17, 2014
- Youth, weights have carried Nettleton softball April 20, 2014
- Easy Easter dinner menu gives ideas for the holiday meal April 20, 2014
- Lady Tigers sweep Hamilton, Smithville in tourney April 19, 2014
- Vikings’ pitcher keeps Lady Noles guessing April 19, 2014
- Local farmer supports Relay for Life through America’s Grow Communities April 19, 2014
- former runner: I hope this program will get the financial support...
- Ronald: The pic your looking at is a different a Joshua an...
- DSG: I don't see a scratch on him??? Was that picture ...
- Here for Now: It's not like at least half the town isn't drink...
- Isn\'t This the 21st Century: Bishop Freeman I've eaten at O'charleys, Chilis,...
- Easy Easter dinner menu gives ideas for the holiday meal http://t.co/tNiGjj0zJV 2 hours ago
- Lady Tigers sweep Hamilton, Smithville in tourney http://t.co/ukRg6CKX5o 17 hours ago
- Local farmer supports Relay for Life through America’s Grow Communities http://t.co/o9G8L1TKDS 1 day ago
- Man with Nettleton ties helped pen hits http://t.co/zihSXHZB6Z 1 day ago
- Miller named JA’s Citizen of the Year http://t.co/UmCUBjEpgl 2 days ago