Throughout the entire alcohol issue in Amory, I would casually let people know I didn’t have a dog in that fight when the conversation pointed at that. I could see positives from both sides of the fence and wasn’t afraid to say that alcohol being an economic savior for the town and a complete demoralizer […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
The Itawamba Community College Homecoming Court will be presented, Saturday Oct. 25, at 11:30 a.m. in the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus and during halftime of the before the ICC/Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College football game, which begins at 3:30 p.m. The 2014 Itawamba Community College Homecoming Court […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Robert Tyler Myers, 31, of Hamilton Oct. 18. The arrest was the result of a traffic stop on Cockerham Road. Myers is charged with felony possession of a controlled substance. Bond has not been set and subject is still in custody at Monroe County Detention Center.
The Amory Police Department arrested Secresha Lana Elliott, 23, and Rycardo Kentrell Morgan, 23, both of Amory. The two were charged with retaliation against a witness. According to reports filed by the APD, the incident happened Oct. 13 on F Avenue. Bond for both subjects was set at $5,000.00 by Judge Kevin Crook.
ABERDEEN – There was no family history of breast cancer in Barbara Ann Rowe’s genes, but there was the history of being raised by a tough mother and tough father. That same raising could have been what allowed her to skip four stages of grief and just accept the fact she was diagnosed with breast […]
BECKER – For the third quarter’s Monroe County Local Emergency Planning Committee, Guy Morgan of Kinder Morgan’s natural gas division led a meeting about pipelines that stressed one thing especially – calling before digging. “All it takes is a homeowner putting in a new mailbox and throwing a pair of posthole diggers in the ground […]
For the Monroe Journal The students and staff at the Monroe County Career Technical Center held their annual fall festival on Sept. 30 Many types of home and yard decor, metal art and a grill were among the items made by the students. The Culinary Arts students prepared refreshments and the Allied Health students provided […]
There’s something in the water. That’s what they say. Where the waters of the Mississippi River meet the Delta soil is where sounds started to permeate before eventually being pressed on vinyl in the 1920s for the rest of the world to hear. About an 800-mile drive away from the poverty that influenced the blues, […]
ABERDEEN – In the years Aberdeen capitalized on its blues heritage, it has added a permanent blues marker, a colorful downtown mural and the guarantee that for that one weekend in October, the air will be filled with the sounds of blues music. That one weekend kicks off Friday at Blue Bluff with two days […]
- Unofficial results indicate Amory will remain dry October 15, 2014
- Nettleton woman arrested for Possession of Ice October 17, 2014
- Cancer proves to be Rowe’s blessing from a curse October 20, 2014
- Program serves underserved, underinsured candidates October 20, 2014
- Wall believes in quality and healthy food October 19, 2014
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education October 22, 2014
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings October 22, 2014
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. October 22, 2014
- Kennedy, Edgeworth power Smithville in first round win October 21, 2014
- Jones gets revenge for Myrtle’s walks October 21, 2014
- kyle ruff: I miss you...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education http://t.co/eiI59nPUnI 4 hours ago
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings http://t.co/5vwgaIHpEW 4 hours ago
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. http://t.co/faPKpA9eon 4 hours ago
- ICC to present Homecoming Court Saturday http://t.co/dnqnXXbzVB 16 hours ago
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman http://t.co/p4M3Y1mlMc 20 hours ago