Update: Three people dead after Nettleton shooting
From Brad Locke, Daily Journal
NETTLETON – The three men killed in a shootout on Main Street have been identified as two brothers and an acquaintance.
Otis Eugene Bass, 49, and Joseph Bass, 44, both of Shannon died at the scene and Jamie Guin, 33, of Mantachie, died at North Mississippi Medical Center, according to Monroe County Coronor Alan Gurley.
According to Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson, an altercation that began at United Furniture carried to downtown Nettleton, where shooting began. It was not immediately known how many of the three people involved were firing a weapon.
All were apparently traveling together when the shooting started at the four-way stop at Main Street and Mullen Avenue.
An eye witness, who identified herself as a co-worker at United Furniture, was traveling on Main Street headed south when the shooting started and . She called 911.
A Nettleton Police officer responded to the scene and became engaged in gunfire. The preliminary investigation has found the officer’s return gunfire to be justified, according to Trooper Ray Hall of the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
At the crime scene, a silver Chevy Trailblazer was in the middle of Main Street and halfway into the intersection. Behind it was a Nettleton Police Department patrol car with the back window apparently shot out.
The body of one of the victims was nearby and the body of the other was on the side of Main Street near the intersection of Elliot Avenue. Investigators at the scene were marking the number of shell casings.
The one surviving suspect was airlifted to the North Mississippi Medical Center in critical condition and died later Wednesday afternoon from the gunshot wounds.
None of the shooting victims have been identified.
Nearby schools were put on lockdown after the shooting but were now operating normally.
MHP is leading the investigation, with assistance from the Lee and Monroe county sheriff’s departments. The incident happened near the Lee-Monroe county line, which bisects Nettleton.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is encouraged to contact CrimeStoppers (1-800-773-TIPS), the Lee County Sheriff (662-841-9041) or Monroe County Sheriff (662-369-2468).
- Ottis Bass identified as Nettleton shooter
- Aberdeen aldermen approve resignation, hire for police department
- Wanted subject dies in vehicle accident
- DAR honors locals with annual awards
- Shannon man charged with failure to register as a sex offender
- American Furniture Manufacturing delivering 140 jobs to Amory
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Landmark designation sought for Hatley School June 27, 2016
- Aberdeen School District holding budget hearing June 27, 2016
- Shooting sends one to Aberdeen hospital June 27, 2016
- Conservator OKs board policies June 28, 2016
- Applications available for MCSO summer youth mentoring program June 28, 2016
- Smithsonian’s ‘Hometown Teams’ exhibit opening at Amory Regional Museum June 30, 2016
- Monroe County artists release new singles June 30, 2016
- Fourth of July events planned in Amory and in Nettleton June 30, 2016
- Monroe Journal wins six Mississippi Press Association awards June 30, 2016
- Nettleton’s Adams signs with ICC softball June 29, 2016
- Carroll White: Would love to see this happen for the Hatley Schoo...
- Chad Houston: Great article!!! The event called "Cruisin' Amor...
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....
- Carlos Ann Sanders: Congratulations to the Amory Panthers and to Coach...
- Anti-bigot: This article is a joke just like this county and t...