Update: Three people dead after Nettleton shooting
From Brad Locke, Daily Journal
NETTLETON – The three men killed in a shootout on Main Street have been identified as two brothers and an acquaintance.
Otis Eugene Bass, 49, and Joseph Bass, 44, both of Shannon died at the scene and Jamie Guin, 33, of Mantachie, died at North Mississippi Medical Center, according to Monroe County Coronor Alan Gurley.
According to Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson, an altercation that began at United Furniture carried to downtown Nettleton, where shooting began. It was not immediately known how many of the three people involved were firing a weapon.
All were apparently traveling together when the shooting started at the four-way stop at Main Street and Mullen Avenue.
An eye witness, who identified herself as a co-worker at United Furniture, was traveling on Main Street headed south when the shooting started and . She called 911.
A Nettleton Police officer responded to the scene and became engaged in gunfire. The preliminary investigation has found the officer’s return gunfire to be justified, according to Trooper Ray Hall of the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
At the crime scene, a silver Chevy Trailblazer was in the middle of Main Street and halfway into the intersection. Behind it was a Nettleton Police Department patrol car with the back window apparently shot out.
The body of one of the victims was nearby and the body of the other was on the side of Main Street near the intersection of Elliot Avenue. Investigators at the scene were marking the number of shell casings.
The one surviving suspect was airlifted to the North Mississippi Medical Center in critical condition and died later Wednesday afternoon from the gunshot wounds.
None of the shooting victims have been identified.
Nearby schools were put on lockdown after the shooting but were now operating normally.
MHP is leading the investigation, with assistance from the Lee and Monroe county sheriff’s departments. The incident happened near the Lee-Monroe county line, which bisects Nettleton.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is encouraged to contact CrimeStoppers (1-800-773-TIPS), the Lee County Sheriff (662-841-9041) or Monroe County Sheriff (662-369-2468).
- Ottis Bass identified as Nettleton shooter
- Aberdeen aldermen approve resignation, hire for police department
- Wanted subject dies in vehicle accident
- DAR honors locals with annual awards
- Shannon man charged with failure to register as a sex offender
- American Furniture Manufacturing delivering 140 jobs to Amory
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do you know what mental illness feels like? May 21, 2016
- Hatley’s Stark aims for more aggressiveness in Lady Tigers May 25, 2016
- Amory Humane Society holding volunteer days May 26, 2016
- Amory commits to welcoming all through ordinance May 26, 2016
- Shooting incident raises questions about party ordinance May 26, 2016
- MCSO seeks whereabouts of Nettleton man May 27, 2016
- Arrests made in connection to ATV thefts May 27, 2016
- Supervisors table selection of airport consulting firm May 27, 2016
- Aberdeen PTO presidents host parent forum May 27, 2016
- Communities honoring those passed with Memorial Day ceremonies May 27, 2016
- Cindy Wilkerson: Thank you to the mayor and to the board of alderme...
- Ellen Redding-Jordan: May she rest in Peace, I meet her and her husband ...
- Gregv Worthey: I couldn't possibly disagree more!! While admitti...
- Jeanette Sudduth: She was a sweet person I got a chance to video her...
- S. Robbins: Every Mayor that's serious about having a good fa...