Wizard-inspired group waves wand at everyday problems
AMORY – Twelve-year-old Flannery Plum is using parallels from “Harry Potter” to help fight real world problems by starting a local chapter of the Harry Potter Alliance.
“I read about it online one day and, since there were no chapters in Mississippi, I decided to start one,” said Plum, who says she’s been a “Harry Potter” fan since the second grade.
The Amory Wizards for Muggle Rights held its first meeting at the Amory Municipal Library on Jan. 30, where Plum delivered a speech explaining what the Harry Potter Alliance is about.
“Even if you haven’t read “Harry Potter,” you may have seen the movies and even if you haven’t, you might know a little about it. But do you know just how much it relates to our world? The HPA is not like a real Dumbeldore’s Army. It IS the real Dumbeldore’s Army, fighting death eaters like illiteracy and discrimination,” Plum said.
The chapter met again Feb. 27 at the library to sort bags and egg cartons they collected for the Amory Food Pantry and to write Howlers, or letters, to Mississippi State Legislators regarding Senate Bill 2681.
“There was a bill that passed that has discriminatory language in it and we brought Howlers to give out in case anyone wants to write letters,” Plum said.
One of the missions of the Amory Wizards for Muggle Rights group is to promote change through the magic of tolerance and love.
“The message I get from “Harry Potter” is that it doesn’t matter how much bad there is in the world; if there is still love and friendship and loyalty, none of the bad matters, and there can still be change. No matter how old you are, or what you look like, or where you come from, or any of the things people think we are defined by today, you can still help fight evil, or change the world, or do good. No matter how small your actions are, you can help make change,” Plum said.
The Amory Wizards for Muggle Rights will be collecting books throughout the month to donate to BetterWorldBooks, an online book store that funds worldwide literacy initiatives. The next meeting is scheduled for March 27 at the Amory Municipal Library at 6:30 p.m. and is open to all.
Those interested in donating books or participating in the Amory Wizards for Muggle Rights Chapter of the Harry Potter Alliance can contact Plum at 315-6623 or go to the Amory Wizards for Muggle Rights Facebook page.
- At the Movies: Aug. 27, 2014
- Jones named Amory School District’s Administrator of Year
- MCSO makes several drug-related arrests
- East Amory Elementary School Reading Fair a hit
- ‘Real World’ program drills important keys of being a grown up
- Creative imagination and dreaming big helps put writer’s thoughts on the pages and on the screen
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Emily Tubb
- Aberdeen Lake hosts MBF’s high school championship April 22, 2016
- Smithville rebuilds despite struggles April 27, 2016
- OWO adds another national name to list of guest wrestlers April 27, 2016
- Dome storm shelter taking shape in Hatley April 27, 2016
- One day, one minute, one second; how they can change a lifetime April 27, 2016
- Business owner approaches Amory aldermen about zoning April 29, 2016
- An open letter to the media from one of your own April 29, 2016
- Amory rocket team headed again to national competition April 29, 2016
- Aberdeen aldermen move forward with sidewalk project April 29, 2016
- Lady Tigers rebound after loss to take series April 28, 2016
- Laurenda Richardson: Thank You Ray !!!! Very good article!!!...
- Shanette Loan: There was a time in my life that I waited for the ...
- Bessie: This is a blessing! I worked with Lori many years ...
- Deb Webb: Hey Trent- I loved your voice from the beginnin...
- Demetrice Herron: That is awesome... May god bless the both of you!!...