Wizard-inspired group waves wand at everyday problems
AMORY – Twelve-year-old Flannery Plum is using parallels from “Harry Potter” to help fight real world problems by starting a local chapter of the Harry Potter Alliance.
“I read about it online one day and, since there were no chapters in Mississippi, I decided to start one,” said Plum, who says she’s been a “Harry Potter” fan since the second grade.
The Amory Wizards for Muggle Rights held its first meeting at the Amory Municipal Library on Jan. 30, where Plum delivered a speech explaining what the Harry Potter Alliance is about.
“Even if you haven’t read “Harry Potter,” you may have seen the movies and even if you haven’t, you might know a little about it. But do you know just how much it relates to our world? The HPA is not like a real Dumbeldore’s Army. It IS the real Dumbeldore’s Army, fighting death eaters like illiteracy and discrimination,” Plum said.
The chapter met again Feb. 27 at the library to sort bags and egg cartons they collected for the Amory Food Pantry and to write Howlers, or letters, to Mississippi State Legislators regarding Senate Bill 2681.
“There was a bill that passed that has discriminatory language in it and we brought Howlers to give out in case anyone wants to write letters,” Plum said.
One of the missions of the Amory Wizards for Muggle Rights group is to promote change through the magic of tolerance and love.
“The message I get from “Harry Potter” is that it doesn’t matter how much bad there is in the world; if there is still love and friendship and loyalty, none of the bad matters, and there can still be change. No matter how old you are, or what you look like, or where you come from, or any of the things people think we are defined by today, you can still help fight evil, or change the world, or do good. No matter how small your actions are, you can help make change,” Plum said.
The Amory Wizards for Muggle Rights will be collecting books throughout the month to donate to BetterWorldBooks, an online book store that funds worldwide literacy initiatives. The next meeting is scheduled for March 27 at the Amory Municipal Library at 6:30 p.m. and is open to all.
Those interested in donating books or participating in the Amory Wizards for Muggle Rights Chapter of the Harry Potter Alliance can contact Plum at 315-6623 or go to the Amory Wizards for Muggle Rights Facebook page.
- At the Movies: Aug. 27, 2014
- MCSO makes several drug-related arrests
- Jones named Amory School District’s Administrator of Year
- East Amory Elementary School Reading Fair a hit
- ‘Real World’ program drills important keys of being a grown up
- Creative imagination and dreaming big helps put writer’s thoughts on the pages and on the screen
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Emily Tubb
- Complaint filed in U.S. District Court against former MCSO deputy February 3, 2016
- Retired educator takes pleasure in cooking for others January 31, 2016
- Beta Sigma Phi hosts Daddy/Daughter Dance February 4, 2016
- Amory Main Street welcomes its new director February 4, 2016
- Supervisors talk future of section of Highway 25 February 4, 2016
- Six ways to talk about money with your family February 7, 2016
- Panthers get long-awaited hoops win February 6, 2016
- If not the truth, the conspiracy theories are out there February 6, 2016
- Tigers hold off Bulldogs, gain ground in division February 5, 2016
- Noles run out of firepower against Wildcats February 5, 2016
- Diva: Thank God I won't be called for jury duty on this...
- carrollwhite: Come to Aberdeen on our street you can smell it al...
- Kim Stringfield: There have been a lot of huskies come up missing i...
- Laurenda Provias Richardson: Very well written Ray !!! All the memories ... All...
- shanette: Good for MCSO! I hope this case will bring much ne...