Booth directs another winning performance with TCT
WREN – Tom Booth, executive director of Tupelo Community Theatre, has again directed a winning performance at the 2013 Mississippi Theatre Association Festival.
“The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” won nine awards: All Star Cast – John Carroll, Leaf Coneybear; Special Recognition Award – Best Performance by an Audience Member, Lyle Tate; Best Scenic Design; Overall Technical Excellence; Best Ensemble; Best Supporting Actor – Mark Maharrey, William Barfee; Best Supporting Actress – Danielle Frerer, Olive Ostrovsky; Best Director – Tom Booth; Warren McDaniel Award for Best Production – “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.”
Booth started at Tupelo Community Theatre in 1992 as an actor, and became executive director in June 2002. At his side is Hatley native Tracie Maxey Conwill, Booth’s assistant director for the show. She has worked as Booth’s assistant director for his past 10 shows.
“I directed my first show here in 1996. We took our first show to Mississippi Theatre Association in 1999, and won for the first time in 2001,” Booth said.
Tupelo Community Theatre will present the Tony Award-winning musical, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, music and lyrics by William Finn, book by Rachel Sheinkin and conceived Rebecca Feldman, on Jan, 31, Feb. 1, and Feb. 2 at 7:30 p.m. There will also be a performance on Saturday, Feb. 2, at 2 p.m. All performances are at the Lyric Theatre.
The play, directed by Booth, is about six young people in the throes of puberty who learn that winning isn’t everything and losing doesn’t necessarily make you a loser.
Tickets are $22 for adults and $10 for students and younger. The show is PG-13. For more information, contact the TCT office at 844-1935, or visit www.tct.ms.
Tupelo Community Theatre will represent Mississippi at the Southeastern Theatre Conference in Louisville, Ky., March 6-10. This is the second year in a row and the fifth time since 2001 they have participated in the SETC.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Alice Ortiz
- Aberdeen Lake hosts MBF’s high school championship April 22, 2016
- Lady Noles walk off late against Lady Lions April 26, 2016
- Wren remembers five-year tornado milestone of its own April 27, 2016
- Smithville rebuilds despite struggles April 27, 2016
- OWO adds another national name to list of guest wrestlers April 27, 2016
- Lady Tigers rebound after loss to take series April 28, 2016
- Lady Lions open, close series with wins over Lady Hawks April 28, 2016
- Mt. Zion hosting cancer awareness event April 28, 2016
- Wilemon wins Elvis Fan Club Scholarship April 28, 2016
- Harmon gives back to fans during quick trip home April 28, 2016
- Laurenda Richardson: Thank You Ray !!!! Very good article!!!...
- Shanette Loan: There was a time in my life that I waited for the ...
- Bessie: This is a blessing! I worked with Lori many years ...
- Deb Webb: Hey Trent- I loved your voice from the beginnin...
- Demetrice Herron: That is awesome... May god bless the both of you!!...