Smithville students expected to start new school year on old campus
SMITHVILLE – When the Smithville Schools start to school in August for the 2013-2014 school year, student, teachers and staff should be back on their regular campus.
Work has begun on the band hall/music room while ground has been broken for the new dome gymnasium. Several weeks of bad weather have hampered the start of construction on the dome.
By summer, the new elementary school should be almost completed.
According to Monroe County Superintendent of Education Scott Cantrell, everything is on schedule for the Smithville Schools to be moved back on the regular campus when school starts in August.
“The high school work is complete, other than a few minor renovations such as doors and bathroom tile. It has a new roof, new HVAC, new floor, ceiling tile, new paint, and classroom curtains. This building, along with the other four buildings, only required renovation, not demolition and rebuilding,” Cantrell said.
Century Construction is the lead contractor on the project.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Alice Ortiz
- Wrecker rotation, resignations talking points of Aberdeen aldermen meeting May 19, 2016
- Monroe County School District to get new communication system May 23, 2016
- Conservator approves delayed start dates for upcoming school year May 23, 2016
- Amory police make grand larceny arrest, two others sought May 23, 2016
- Sponsorship opportunities available for Interactive Career Expo May 24, 2016
- Hatley’s Stark aims for more aggressiveness in Lady Tigers May 25, 2016
- Amory Police Department warns of tax scam May 25, 2016
- Early learning collaborative seeking grant-match funding May 25, 2016
- Federal inmates moved following jail escape May 25, 2016
- Glenn approved as new Amory football coach May 24, 2016
- Cindy Wilkerson: Thank you to the mayor and to the board of alderme...
- Ellen Redding-Jordan: May she rest in Peace, I meet her and her husband ...
- Gregv Worthey: I couldn't possibly disagree more!! While admitti...
- Jeanette Sudduth: She was a sweet person I got a chance to video her...
- S. Robbins: Every Mayor that's serious about having a good fa...