ABERDEEN – A two day workshop last week began with a broad range of ideas and ended with three goals to formulate an action plan for Aberdeen Main Street’s recently awarded Livable Communities federal grant. The grant, awarded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Appalachian Regional Committee and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, was […]
AMORY – During the regular-called meeting of the Amory School Board on April 14, board members unanimously approved a request for more rigorous honors graduate requirements. “Previously we were just on a 4 point scale with no incentive for a student to take more advanced classes. It’s not fair for a student taking general courses […]
Count them up. The Los Angeles riots in 1992. The David Koresh compound massacre in Waco 1993. The Oklahoma City federal building bombing in 1995. The last victim claimed by the Unabomber in 1995. The Columbine High School massacre in 1999. The Virginia Tech massacre in 2007. The Boston Marathon bombings in 2013. The number […]
The Mississippi Highway Patrol has issued an amber alert for a 2-year-old child who was abducted Wednesday morning from Caledonia. Maliah Harris is described as a white female. The subjects who are believed to have abducted are Donald Body Harris and Allison Studdard. Harris is described as a 34-year-old white male 5’11″ tall, weighing 201 […]
ABERDEEN – The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office will take part in the National Drug Take Back Initiative April 26 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. People with unwanted or expired pharmaceutical drugs can safely dispose of them during the initiative. The reasoning behind the program is to keep the community drug-free and keep the environment […]
AMORY – The Amory School District Visual Arts Show will undergo a change of venue this year as it will be held at Amory Middle School rather than the Amory Regional Museum. The public is invited to AMS on May 1 from 4 to 7 p.m for this special night. “I have appreciated the support […]
ABERDEEN – In a 3-0 vote April 15, the board of aldermen approved a motion in a lengthy executive session to suspend Aberdeen Police Department officer Lee Johnson for five days without pay stemming from a March 11 complaint filed by Ward 4 alderman Dean Irvin. “Dean Irvin in a way is a boss, and […]
AMORY – The board of aldermen approved a resolution April 15 to conduct a public hearing concerning a proposed rental ordinance for the city. The new ordinance, which has been in the works since last year, will set a minimum standard for homeowners looking to rent their property to cover the life, safety and general […]
By Robin Adams April 22 was Girl Scout Volunteer Appreciation Day. As I started with the Girl Scouts a year back in August, I started with a group of 13 daisies and after a couple of months, I became the service unit manager for the North Monroe County Girl Scout service unit. I am amazed […]
AMORY – After Tuesday night’s 3-1 win over Itawamba AHS and losses for the Lady Indians and Pontotoc on Thursday, Amory is sitting in the catbird’s seat to win the Division 1-4A fast-pitch crown. In Tuesday night’s pitching battle, Josie Booth limited Itawamba to just one run on six hits while walking two and striking […]
NETTLETON – After six straight fast-pitch softball state championship appearances, Nettleton’s offense gets plenty of attention. It was its defense that shined on Tuesday to help pull out a 9-1 win over North Pontotoc to keep their control of Division 4-3A. The Lady Tigers turned three double plays early to keep the Lady Vikings off […]
AMORY – Work is underway on Amory’s newest Kaboom! community playground located on Col. Herbert Carter Drive, across from West Amory Elementary School. McDonald’s owners Robert and Jennifer Tomey of Wren purchased the land and donated it to the City of Amory. City of Amory grant writer Jamie Morgan previously applied for a $20,000 Dr. […]
AMORY – The Monroe County School District received a Mississippi Community Oriented Policing Service grant of $30,000 from the Mississippi Department of Education which will be used for School Resource Officer salaries. School board members also discussed the possibly obtaining assistants for the counselors on each attendance center due to the overwhelming numbers of students […]
What began at approximately noon Friday with a robbery and assault of a woman at a home in Alabama ended in an arrest Saturday night following a high speed chase in Tupelo. Anthony Glenn Poe of Smithville was arrested along with Karen Michelle Barker of Oxford on Blair Street in Tupelo. According to a press […]
Amory’s Charity Gordon completed today’s Boston Marathon with a time of 04:33:48. She finished 1,609 in the Female 40-44 division. She finished in 22,635 place overall.
- Reflections of festival bring to mind the tacky and the classy April 17, 2014
- Amory runner reclaims motivation through RR Festival 5K April 21, 2014
- West Point man charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon April 21, 2014
- Former police officer dies from complications from bike accident April 21, 2014
- Gordon completes Boston Marathon April 21, 2014
- Workshop guides direction for Livable Communities grant April 24, 2014
- School board sets higher standards for val/sal status April 24, 2014
- The most ominous time of the year could be anytime, anywhere April 24, 2014
- Mississippi Highway Patrol issues amber alert for missing child April 23, 2014
- MCSO participates in Drug Take Back Initiative April 23, 2014
- former runner: I hope this program will get the financial support...
- Ronald: The pic your looking at is a different a Joshua an...
- DSG: I don't see a scratch on him??? Was that picture ...
- Here for Now: It's not like at least half the town isn't drink...
- Isn\'t This the 21st Century: Bishop Freeman I've eaten at O'charleys, Chilis,...
- Workshop guides direction for Livable Communities grant http://t.co/5MsJOJHXXd 2 hours ago
- School board sets higher standards for val/sal status http://t.co/WaglgQcXks 1 hour ago
- The most ominous time of the year could be anytime, anywhere http://t.co/utYeeVxVDe 50 mins ago
- Mississippi Highway Patrol issues amber alert for missing child http://t.co/ExR5YqCmVy 15 hours ago
- MCSO participates in Drug Take Back Initiative http://t.co/2Yx2NLJ0R3 17 hours ago