By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Smithville has clinched its division title, but that’s not the goal for the Lady Seminoles. Smithville (17-6) still has the fresh taste of losing in last season’s Class 1A North finals against West Union and wants another taste of 2012’s state championship. One key to that run is the meat […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal NETTLETON – Kaleigh Tackett was chasing foul balls when Nettleton’s string of six straight Class 3A fast pitch championship series began. Now, with fellow seniors Lauren Baldwyn and MariAnna Young, Nettleton is seeking a seventh shot and a fourth title. There are multiple keys to Nettleton’s success, but one underlying […]
Why spend all of Easter in the kitchen preparing a meal when you can make a quick dinner that tastes like you have spent days and hours in the kitchen? A poplar name-brand ham that has a honey glaze makes a good meat dish for Easter. It is pretty expensive, but making a honey-glazed ham […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal NETTLETON – The Nettleton Lady Tigers hosted a fastpitch tournament last Saturday and wrapped the event up with a pair of wins over Hamilton and Smithville. Nettleton 8, Hamilton 1 Taylor Hyland started the game with a base hit and was bunted to second base by Raimi Bryan. […]
BY BRANDON SPECK Daily Journal NETTLETON – Pontotoc junior Chandler Gates caught Smithville off-guard all day with nasty pitches in a 7-1 victory in six innings at the Nettleton Tournament on Saturday. “Chandler mixed it up well. She’s a North all-star for a reason,” Smithville coach Jeremy Duke said. Duke will be coaching Gates in […]
For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Monroe County farmer Chris Ausborn has directed a $2,500 donation to Relay for Life. Funded by America’s Farmers Grow Communities, the donation will be forwarded to the American Cancer Society, which helps with awareness, research and treatment programs. Thanks to the support of farmers across the country, more than […]
Special to Monroe Journal A North Carolina native and former director of the James Brown band who had family ties to Monroe County was laid to rest Feb. 1. Nathaniel Leon (Nat) Jones, 74, died Jan. 24 in Kenasville, N.C. He was the father of Natdrick Lamon Jones of N.L. Jones and Son Funeral Directors […]
By Sam Baker For the Monroe Journal AMORY – Hoping to take their Division 1-4A record to 3-2, the Amory Panthers gave the ball to Cole Robinson hoping he could deliver. The senior answered the call, helping Amory take the wire-to-wire 7-1 victory on Thursday night. In support of their starter, the Panthers scored 7 […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The Nettleton Tigers scored 36 runs on Friday in taking two games against the young, inexperienced Aberdeen Bulldogs in Division 4-3A baseball. In the first game, a 16-0 win, Nettleton centerfielder Levert Jernigan reached on a walk leading off and scored the Tigers’ first run on […]
AMORY – The Amory Junior Auxiliary chose Bo Miller as Amory’s 2014 Outstanding Citizen of the Year. He was recognized at the Amory Railroad Festival’s opening ceremonies. Miller had served for several years as chairman of the Railroad Festival. He is a 1977 graduate of Amory High School, and also a graduate of Mississippi State […]
ABERDEEN – Given the fact one of the Hamilton Volunteer Fire Department’s trucks is expected to be out of commission for the next several weeks, the board of supervisors approved a motion Friday to purchase a new fire truck for the department through the county’s general fund. The board accepted the low bid from Rosenbauer […]
I honestly thought last Monday was merely the anniversary of Mickey Rooney’s passing when the CBS Morning News stated it was remembering the Hollywood legend that day. After realizing my mistake and learning he had passed away the day before, I learned he was a 93-year-old who still occasionally appeared in front of the camera […]
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Police Department and Monroe County Sheriff’s Office responded to a one vehicle accident Thursday afternoon at the Matubby Creek bridge on Meridian Street near the Aberdeen city limits. Johnny Drake of Aberdeen was the driver of a Dodge Ram pickup truck that slammed into the guard rail of the bridge before […]
By Zac Carlisle Monroe Journal HATLEY – After getting swept by division rival New Site and county rival Smithville last week, the Hatley Tigers (6-13, 2-4) were looking for some kind of spark to get themselves back on the right track for their playoff hopes. They found it on Thursday night with a 7-2 Division […]
ABERDEEN – The Monroe County Extension Service will host ‘The Best Tomatoes in the Neighborhood Workshop’ Tuesday, April 22 at 6 p.m. to give gardeners tips on how to get the best results from their crop. Topics discussed will be different tactics about growing tomatoes by way of best practices, no-stoop gardening, new tactics for […]
- County named in $500,000 lawsuit April 15, 2014
- Horticulture program seeks votes for grant competition April 14, 2014
- Otis Bass identified as Nettleton shooter April 17, 2014
- MSU Extension Service hosts tomato workshop April 17, 2014
- Strong pitching, hitting lift Tigers over Walnut April 17, 2014
- Lady Noles prepping for playoff run April 20, 2014
- Youth, weights have carried Nettleton softball April 20, 2014
- Easy Easter dinner menu gives ideas for the holiday meal April 20, 2014
- Lady Tigers sweep Hamilton, Smithville in tourney April 19, 2014
- Vikings’ pitcher keeps Lady Noles guessing April 19, 2014
- former runner: I hope this program will get the financial support...
- Ronald: The pic your looking at is a different a Joshua an...
- DSG: I don't see a scratch on him??? Was that picture ...
- Here for Now: It's not like at least half the town isn't drink...
- Isn\'t This the 21st Century: Bishop Freeman I've eaten at O'charleys, Chilis,...
- Lady Noles prepping for playoff run http://t.co/uY0hVse0sh 10 hours ago
- Easy Easter dinner menu gives ideas for the holiday meal http://t.co/tNiGjj0zJV 19 hours ago
- Lady Tigers sweep Hamilton, Smithville in tourney http://t.co/ukRg6CKX5o 1 day ago
- Local farmer supports Relay for Life through America’s Grow Communities http://t.co/o9G8L1TKDS 2 days ago
- Man with Nettleton ties helped pen hits http://t.co/zihSXHZB6Z 2 days ago