HAMILTON – Hamilton got a strong pitching performance from Cheyenne Logan and knocked off a 2-0 start to the season on Saturday, beating Caledonia 6-0 and New Hope 7-6. Logan struck out eight and allowed five hits in the win over Caledonia to open the day. “Cheyenne pitched well and did a good job today […]
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – On Jan. 21, Flower Lovers Garden Club members learned about “Bees as Pollinators” from fellow member, Susan Murray, who presented the program in place of her husband and told how the two raise blueberries using bees as pollinators. Bees are the workhorses of pollinators with 4,000 varieties of bees […]
ABERDEEN – Even though the Aberdeen branch of Renasant Bank officially marks its 30th birthday May 7, it chimed in on recognizing the bank’s 110th birthday on Feb. 28. Started as People’s Bank and Trust Company in Tupelo on Feb. 27, 1904, the Mississippi-only bank expanded into Alabama and Tennessee in 2005. Around that time, […]
AMORY – Two days fresh off basketball, Drew Lann showed he was ready for baseball season, throwing a complete game and picking up the season-opening 6-2 win over Amory on Saturday. “He’s been coming and throwing with us even during basketball, and we knew we were going to be counting on Drew a lot this […]
By JB Clark/Daily Journal ABERDEEN – In the first day of the defense’s presentation, David Parvin’s attorneys called a neurophysiology expert to testify about involuntary and accidental firearm discharges. Roger Enoka, a professor of integrative physiology at the University of Colorado, testified that according to his previously published research, when a person falls their arms […]
ABERDEEN – Representatives from local, state and national agencies painted a broad picture Feb. 18 of what can be accomplished with a Livable Communities grant recently awarded for use in Aberdeen. Through two more telephone conferences and an upcoming workshop, an action plan is expected for ways to promote nutrition education and healthier lifestyles. “We’ll […]
ABERDEEN – Topped with the business of identifying 10 goals mainly to bridge the Aberdeen School District with the community, the school district’s P-16 Council met Feb. 25. The community engagement committee acted as a roundtable discussion for administration, students, parents and members of the community. “For the past four or five years, I’ve heard […]
AMORY – The annual Lady in Red Fashion Show and Luncheon hosted by Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center was held Feb. 25 to spread awareness of heart disease in women. Guest speaker was Scobey resident Gay Smith. She served as regional director with the American Heart Association for more than eight years and continues to […]
By JB Clark/Daily Journal OXFORD – A former Monroe County school teacher who was recently sentenced to 20 years in prison for statutory rape is being pursued in a civil suit filed in the Northern District of Mississippi. Brian K. Flanner is being sued by John and Jane Doe on behalf of the unnamed victim […]
ABERDEEN – Circuit Court Judge Paul Funderburk overruled the defense’s motion of acquittal for David Parvin Thursday after the state presented its case in the re-trial of the convicted murderer. The defense stated there was no evidence for the jury to find guilty of murder. “One common thread of how this happened is that the […]
ABERDEEN – Aberdeen found itself one point away from getting back to the Big House on Friday night. With the Bulldogs hanging on to a late two-point lead after seeing a commanding third-quarter advantage disappear, East Side’s Clarence Stewart sank a three-pointer with seven seconds to go for the 65-64 win and the end of […]
Last week, I commented on how quickly basketball season seems to wind down. This past week, it ended in a hurry and with a bang (and a certain ill-timed three-pointer) on Thursday and Friday. On Tuesday, three of the four teams that made it past division tournaments won to make North half and have a […]
ABERDEEN – Jeremy Martin of the Secretary of State’s office made his third recent appearance in the county Monday to talk about the implementation of Voter ID. The June 3 election will be the first in the state’s history that will require one of the acceptable means of identification at the polls and less than […]
By JB Clark/Daily Journal ABERDEEN – Attorneys for David Parvin and for the state of Mississippi agreed on many points in their opening statements Wednesday: David Parvin is a gun safety advocate, the trigger of his shotgun can’t pull itself, he shot and killed his wife, and the Oct. 15, 2007, shooting was a tragedy. […]
ABERDEEN – As 0’s and 1’s code the significant digits of technology, Shivers Middle School’s 1:1 initiative is turning B’s into A’s by putting the power of iPads into the hands of its students. “It puts learning in the kids’ hands. I haven’t given them the information, they give me the information. If they’re having […]
Reader Participation Poll
- Cajun cuisine makes for festive Fat Tuesday March 2, 2014
- Lady Tigers fall to host Booneville at North half March 5, 2014
- Noles can’t dig out of early hole at North half March 5, 2014
- Spring tornado season moves into area March 6, 2014
- Middle schoolers enter world of 1:1 learning initiative March 6, 2014
- Lady Lions roll out to a 2-0 start at classic March 8, 2014
- Flower Lovers educated on pollination March 8, 2014
- Renasant Bank celebrates 110 years of service March 8, 2014
- Lann goes the distance as Noles top Panthers March 7, 2014
- Parvin defense puts focus on accidental discharge March 7, 2014
- ForAmory\'sGrowth: All that has been said is that the voters need to ...
- ForAmory\'sGrowth: I want to support you! I did check the records of...
- Doug Cuthbert: My son Josh Cuthbert and I own property in Amory a...
- itspersonal: Since the end of the conflict in 1865 we in the So...
- itspersonal: The records of Amory City Clerk Lee Barnett show t...
- Flower Lovers educated on pollination http://t.co/3TYkollLie 12 hours ago
- Renasant Bank celebrates 110 years of service http://t.co/0X1SBsKhEE 12 hours ago
- Parvin defense puts focus on accidental discharge http://t.co/2csKg61IZh 1 day ago
- Ideas generated for Livable Communities grant http://t.co/SLOHeOfDqe 1 day ago
- ASD community engagement council outlines ways to bridge school district, community divide http://t.co/ye229uZa5U 1 day ago