For the Monroe Journal Monroe County is ranked in the top 5 percent of counties nationwide in manufacturing job growth, according to recent statistics released by Headlight Data. Monroe County ranked 134 out of 2,746 U.S. counties for manufacturing job growth in 2013-2014, with manufacturing jobs increasing by 18.7 percent in the county during that […]
Mississippi has set aside a sales tax-free shopping weekend for the past seven years. The tax-free shopping usually coincides with back-to-school shopping. Aberdeen and Amory will again participate in this event set for July 31 through Aug. 1. Only two items are allowed in Mississippi – clothing costing less than $100 and shoes less than […]
ABERDEEN – The tragic drowning of two fishermen on the Tombigbee River earlier this month raised more awareness of the dangers of public waters during flood stages. In pitching the idea to hopefully prevent a future instance, Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks officer Ray Darty approached the board of supervisors July 24 for […]
ABERDEEN – For what has become a summertime tradition, the Aberdeen Visitors Bureau will wind down summer vacation with a free outdoor movie and scavenger hunt July 30 at The Magnolias. “It’s a one-time event this summer, and we’re making it a back to school bash. We’re trying to squeeze in every little bit of […]
New Amory girls’ basketball coach Paula Wax has worked in the school district for the last several years but is ready to get back on the court to lead the Lady Panthers. “I helped out one year, but that’s been 8-9 years ago. I’d like to hopefully provide some consistency for this program,” Wax said. […]
AMORY – According to a notice from the Amory Police Department, a power line is down across Highway 25 South. Police advise people to stay clear of the area while crews work to replace it. The notice, which was released via the Amory Police Department app approximately 1:15 p.m., also states that a large portion […]
SIPSEY FORK – According to Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley, a 77-year-old Sipsey Fork man died Tuesday, July 28 as the result of a lawn mower accident. Just before 8 p.m. Tuesday, a motorist noticed a lawnmower overturned in a small pond beside Paul Wayne Puckett’s house near Greenwood Springs. The motorist and another person went […]
AMORY – After some flip flopping following requests from residents on both sides of the commercial truck ordinance issue, the board of aldermen unanimously upheld the original ordinance prohibiting commercial trucks from parking in residentially zoned neighborhoods at the July 21 meeting. The issue was originally brought before the board by resident Jennifer Fines on […]
From here to Honduras: Mission work bridges gap between U.S. opportunities and Central American hope
Editor’s note: From July 16-22, a joint initiative between members of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Aberdeen, the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in Columbus and Grace Bible Church in Oxford reached out to several villagers in the Lake Yojoa region of Honduras through Jackson-based Salt and Light Ministries. The work entailed […]
- Nightclub on hold until aldermen revisit ordinance July 23, 2015
- From here to Honduras: Mission work bridges gap between U.S. opportunities and Central American hope July 29, 2015
- Commercial truck ordinance to remain as is July 29, 2015
- Lawnmower accident claims life of Sulligent business owner July 29, 2015
- Crews work to restore power in Amory July 29, 2015
- Monroe County ranked in top 5 percent in nation for growth July 30, 2015
- Mississippi’s tax-free shopping set for July 31-Aug. 1 July 30, 2015
- Officials reach out to supervisors about water safety precaution July 30, 2015
- Free movie serves up end of summer adventure July 30, 2015
- New Amory girls’ coach Wax aims for hoops success July 29, 2015
- Michael: That's why we need better sidewalks and crosswalk...
- Body of missing Bartlett fisherman found - Bartlett ExpressBartlett Express: […] an earlier story about the search effort...
- Helen Whitten: How would itawamba county go about getting these r...
- debbie jones: Why in the world is the bond so low? Is $5000 all ...
- Linda: These folks were operating in Nashville several ye...
Monroe County, MS
City of Aberdeen
City of Amory
Monroe County Chamber of Commerce
Tombigbee Regional Library
Social Security Disability Attorney
Auto Accidents Attorney
Mayfield Law Firm
Thames Family Dentistry