ABERDEEN – While certain cities in early history began their own Christmas celebrations in different years after the death of Jesus Christ, the universal date in the fourth century streamlined the celebrations to Dec. 25. In the year 430, Pope Sixtus III included a replica chapel of where Jesus was born and instituted a midnight […]
Tag Archives | featured
ABERDEEN – Jean Knight learned to cook at an early age when she and a cousin would stay with their grandmother during the summer. “I remember cooking green beans and putting okra in the green beans,” Knight said. I didn’t know any better.” Knight’s father was a meat and potatoes guy and she learned to […]
ABERDEEN – Even though the maximum altitude of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus drone may tap out at 655 feet, the study of flight for Aberdeen High School’s JROTC program would rather let the sky be the limit. The JROTC program received one of approximately 60 drones from the Air Force JROTC’s headquarters at Maxwell […]
AMORY – The Monroe County Chamber of Commerce hosted a legislative breakfast Dec. 2 at the Gilmore Foundation Conference Center where Rep. Chris Brown, Sen. Hob Bryan and Rep. Steve Holland briefly spoke on what is, or should be, on the horizon in the 2015 legislative session. “The governor issued his executive budget recommendation with […]
According to legend, the first cheese ball was made by Elisha Brown Jr. at his farm in 1801. It weighed 1,235 pounds and he presented it as a gift to President Thomas Jefferson at the White House. I have never known much about the history of cheese balls, except that I really like them. In […]
AMORY – Amory is the newest addition to Arcadia Publishing’s Images of America series. Amory Regional Museum Director Bo Miller and museum archivist Sue Brown have explored Amory’s development from its beginnings at Cotton Gin Port to its stake as a railroad trading post and the town that flourished from there. The authors said that […]
AMORY – Named for her mother’s hometown, Amory Watterson has had to learn when to lose the southern accent and when to let it resonate when it comes to her numerous acting auditions. “All day long, I told her to talk like her mama,” said her mother, Bridgett Calhoun Watterson about a recent audition for […]
ABERDEEN – One of the best parts about it is everything inside is a conversation piece. That’s how Ann Tackett describes 3 Goats Inn, her complimentary cottage next door to 3 Goats. Both places on Jefferson Street have a bed and breakfast feel – just without a hearty breakfast – with pieces of local history […]
AMORY – Amory School District Food Services Director Steve Stockton approached the leadership team from the Amory Students for Change about creating the menus for the month of December for the high school. “They accepted the challenge and have done an incredible job,” said Stockton. Stockton said his goal for doing this project was two […]
- Deadline approaches for ICC’s Adult Learner Incentive Scholarship December 15, 2014
- ASD supporter issues challenge for school partnerships December 19, 2014
- JROTC program aims high with drone technology December 19, 2014
- MAEP Petition makes the 2015 Ballot December 19, 2014
- Tigers grab first win of season December 19, 2014
- Monroe County deputies recover stolen equipment December 22, 2014
- Silent Night: Midnight Mass celebration ushers in hour of the day December 22, 2014
- Extension service offers holiday safety tips December 22, 2014
- MDEQ awards solid waste assistance grant to Three Rivers December 21, 2014
- Knight’s cooking skills learned at an early age December 21, 2014
- Diva: Nothing like doing the meth with the kids!...
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
Monroe County, MS
City of Aberdeen
City of Amory
Monroe County Chamber of Commerce
Tombigbee Regional Library
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Collierville Dentist at Schilling Farms