AMORY — The 36th annual Amory Railroad Festival will go down in the record books as one of the best ever. The pilot who flies over and makes an approximate attendance number said he had never seen cars parked past the middle school before and estimated nearly 65,000 people. The all time record for attendance […]
Tag Archives | featured
Several Monroe County Vocational Technical Center students recently competed in the Mississippi Technology Student Association. The 5057A robotics team is the TSA Vex Robotic State Champion, while the fashion design team also garners state champion status. The technology bowl team won third place. All three teams advance to the National TSA Conference in Washington. D.C., […]
AMORY – Mention the Amory Railroad Festival and the first thing popping into mind are apple fritters. People line up at Bethel Apostolic’s apple fritter booth waiting on fresh, hot apple fritters. It is rumored that people will come from Memphis and other areas to the Railroad Festival and leave with a bag of apple […]
BECKER – Mary Jo Kirkpatrick was recently named School of Nursing Administrator of the Year at the annual Nightingale Awards held in Jackson. The award is sponsored by the Mississippi Nurses’ Association and the Mississippi Nurses’ Foundation. Kirkpatrick, chair of the Mississippi University for Women’s Associate of Science in Nursing Program, has been a faculty […]
What a long strange trip it’s been: Even by playing back and forth, there’s no place like home for The Gents
AMORY – The Gents have come a long way since rattling a chandelier while the practicing in J.B. Stevenson’s attic in the mid-1960s. Although band members couldn’t technically call themselves a garage band since that’s where Stevenson’s mom insisted her long car stayed, the group lived the life of one. Through cutting a record, parting […]
SMITHVILLE – Almost three years after Smithville was nearly demolished by an EF5 tornado, an announcement was made Friday that a new start-up motion furniture company, Behold Home Inc., is locating a manufacturing plant in the former Townhouse Furniture building. Mike Armour, representing Mississippi Development Authority and Appalachian Regional Commission, read a letter from Gov. […]
ABERDEEN – A week ahead of Easter Day, the Junior Women’s League will host an Easter egg hunt at the Magnolias April 13 from 2 until 4 p.m. “The Junior Women’s League came together and talked about how we could be a service to the community and we wanted to offer something for children and […]
LASK AIR BASE, POLAND – Last month, on the country’s 15th anniversary of joining NATO, Poland’s President Bronislaw Komorowski expressed his desire for more U.S. troops in the country to guarantee the country’s safety within NATO. Komorowski made his public request at Lask Air Base, where 12 555th Fighter Squadron F-16 Fighting Falcons and approximately […]
An educator from Amory and an Aberdeen nonprofit pushing education on several different levels were two of six honorees from across the state in this year’s Mississippi Public Humanities Awards. Tenn-Tom Moving Youth, Inc. garnered the Special Recognition Award and Pat Arinder won the Humanities Educator Award. “It’s very rare to have two honorees from […]
- County named in $500,000 lawsuit April 15, 2014
- Horticulture program seeks votes for grant competition April 14, 2014
- County vocational technical students win at state April 14, 2014
- Pair of inmates apprehended after Sunday night jail break April 14, 2014
- Amory police arrest Hamilton man on vehicle burglary charges April 14, 2014
- Lady Panthers rally late to over come Tish in division play April 16, 2014
- Update: Three people dead after Nettleton shooting April 16, 2014
- Week off from surgery feels like an eternity April 16, 2014
- Festival concludes with new levels of success April 16, 2014
- Garth named new Aberdeen High School principal for upcoming school year April 16, 2014
- former runner: I hope this program will get the financial support...
- Ronald: The pic your looking at is a different a Joshua an...
- DSG: I don't see a scratch on him??? Was that picture ...
- Here for Now: It's not like at least half the town isn't drink...
- Isn\'t This the 21st Century: Bishop Freeman I've eaten at O'charleys, Chilis,...
- Update: Two shot in Nettleton http://t.co/bmz939QvcS 2 hours ago
- Officer down in Nettleton http://t.co/5oXXnTumfG 3 hours ago
- Shooting in Nettleton http://t.co/tGCAuMzX3t 3 hours ago
- Festival concludes with new levels of success http://t.co/b9tVhaQWSw 8 hours ago
- Garth named new Aberdeen High School principal for upcoming school year http://t.co/ySeK4BJB2o 8 hours ago