ABERDEEN – Girl Scout Troop 20900 has 30 members. Leaders are Alonda Smith, Latoya Anderson, Angie Word and Nina Betts. Assistant leaders are Annie Pargo, Mary H. McMillian, Charlene Whitfield and Amanda Vasser. The proceeds from the annual sale of Girl Scout cookies go towards the memberships, T-shirts, camp, supplies, uniforms, snacks and trips. The […]
Tag Archives | featured
AMORY – Approximately four months ago, First United Methodist Church formed a team of lay people from its congregation to begin praying and discerning how their church might begin to engage their community in ministry in a new way. “As pastor, I believe strongly that the local church serves as an extension of God’s […]
WREN – Some people can claim to have raised a good family, some can claim health and longevity and some can claim service to their country, yet few can claim all three. One of those exceptions was Monroe County’s own Moses Hardy, who passed away in 2006. Hardy was born in 1894 and lived a […]
It’s a rarity for Northeast Mississippi to face a snow storm. The sight of it is a treat for one of your senses, but with a couple of easy ingredients, it can be a treat for your taste buds as well. Snow cream Ingredients 1 – 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk 3/4 cup […]
As predicted, snow began to fall across areas in Monroe County midday Wednesday. All four school districts in the county canceled classes for the day ahead of the winter system. Several businesses, banks and government offices closed Wednesday as well due to the weather, which is expected to last throughout much the day.
ABERDEEN – Whether it be due to lifestyle or bitterly cold temperatures, electricity bills typically sore during the winter months. During the Feb. 17 board of aldermen meeting, Liza Jones of Lift, Inc. explained programs the organization has in place for those in dire need of assistance. Additionally, Safe, Inc., the Department of Human Services […]
ABERDEEN – A policy adopted by the board of aldermen last July regarding public comments at board meetings caught up with City Hall Feb. 17. While there wasn’t an empty seat inside the board room during the aldermen meeting, there were just as many citizens outside in the lobby. While there was disruptive chatter during […]
PRAIRIE – It’s about a 70 mile drive from Prairie to Oxford and an even longer stretch that somebody’s name from Prairie is as recognizable as somebody’s from Oxford in the literary world. Even though LT Gathings is still working towards his breakthrough piece of nonfiction, he is living out a dream. When Aberdeen Ford […]
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Garden Club held its annual luncheon on Feb. 13 at Aberdeen First United Methodist Church. The luncheon is the club’s fundraising event, which supports a variety of projects benefitting downtown Aberdeen. The main project is filling the downtown flower pots with seasonal flowers. The club prepares lunch for approximately 200 people […]
- DAR honors locals with annual awards February 22, 2015
- Lady Tigers come from behind for playoff spot February 25, 2015
- Snow cream is a sweet and easy treat February 25, 2015
- The centurion, the family man, the legend: A look back at Moses Hardy’s life February 26, 2015
- Aldermen entertain presentation of Lift, Inc.’s services February 26, 2015
- Getting to know Mississippi’s Toughest Kids March 1, 2015
- Aberdeen scouts share recipes using Girl Scout cookies March 1, 2015
- NMMC Hospice to train volunteers March 1, 2015
- Legislative Update: Week of Feb. 25, 2015 February 28, 2015
- School district saves energy through Ameresco project February 28, 2015
- Danny Majors: Did the course get purchased lately?...
- Janice Cain: Thanks for that article. I am Presbyterian and man...
- Diva: This lady along with an Amory native, Jo McDivitt,...
- chris: Please notify of related post to krystal and kyle ...
- monroeme: 5 alderman and one recused himself...where I went ...