Monroe County Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Skip Scaggs was in Jackson a couple of weeks ago and picked up on a little more chatter about Monroe County in talks with colleagues at his former employer, the Mississippi Development Authority. “I think the success from our last calendar year was able to show the state […]
Tag Archives | featured
ABERDEEN – The board of aldermen signed a contract Jan. 20 allowing for more national television exposure. The National Geographic Channel series “Diggers” will film an episode at the city-owned Gulf Ordnance Plant in Prairie. “They’re excited to do a war story featuring awesome women,” said City Clerk Jackie Benson after the meeting. The film […]
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – Adrian Moffett and William Oliver Miller, both of Amory, recently served as pages for the Mississippi Senate. Pages generally run errands for officials and Senate staff. “From watching firsthand the Senate and the House debate to meeting and greeting our elected officials, no one could ask for a better […]
PARHAM – Sherry Kimbrough has always loved to cook. Growing up, she and her brother and sister, had to have supper ready and on the table every evening when their parents got home. “Of course, we usually only cooked peas, cornbread and things like that,” Kimbrough said. She married young and when her husband was […]
ABERDEEN – In an evening of emotions – joyful and tearful, Coach Roy Hazzle and Claire Mattox were honored with the 2015 Salute to Service Awards through Hands on Aberdeen. “The two honored tonight, I know personal and up close. If nothing else happens but blessing the Mattox family and Roy Hazzle, tonight won’t be […]
ABERDEEN – In his own words, Hunter Williams’ definition of ‘less fortunate’ has taken on a new meaning. Growing up in a small town and attending Ole Miss, Williams lived a normal life several people can relate, but working in Africa with The Christian Relief Fund has given him a different sense of reality and […]
AMORY– Chassie Nix of Amory took a year off from college to work with AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps and in that time, she broke gender barriers and accomplished feats she never dreamed she’d accomplish. “I believe AmeriCorps is America’s best kept secret. We have helped the homeless, veterans, disabled, disaster-stricken, youth and the environment,” […]
AMORY – A group of ladies who regularly volunteer at Sav-A-Life of Monroe County cook every other Wednesday for others who volunteer and help out at Sav-A-Life. There are anywhere from four to six ladies who usually do the cooking. “We started feeding the volunteers who helped out after the Smithville tornado,” said Sav-A-Life Executive […]
HATLEY – What makes one school stand out above others in regards to parents and students trying to get their students enrolled in that school? That is a question that Hatley School faces each day as more and more parents want their children to attend that particular school. Hatley is now the largest school in […]
- Man accused of killing dog with bow and arrow arrested January 23, 2015
- County school board donates bus for ambus program January 22, 2015
- Moffett, Miller serve as Mississippi Senate pages January 27, 2015
- Juvenile detained after Amory High School altercation January 27, 2015
- Amory man arrested on breaking and entering charge January 27, 2015
- Last-second shot snatches win from Lady Bulldogs January 29, 2015
- Trial date set for Hazzle’s accused discrimination suit January 29, 2015
- Scaggs marks one year in as chamber director January 29, 2015
- Mayors share their goals for 2015 January 29, 2015
- WMA turkey hunting applications being taken January 29, 2015
- barry glover: At least its a start..before they didn't even fol...
- Michael: Wonderful dog? And you know this how? How do yo...
- Michael: You also know nothing of the facts....
- Michael Hontz: Learn some facts before running off at the fingers...
- Sam: Pls don't compare baby's to dogs. I agree animal...