SMITHVILLE – Northern District Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley held a town hall meeting April 12 at the Smithville Community Center to give Monroe County citizens the opportunity to voice their concerns about the lack of natural gas service, high-speed Internet and cellular phone in their area. Presley informed the group of approximately 25 people […]
Tag Archives | featured
AMORY – In another example of the Flower Lovers Garden Club collaborating with the Amory School District, East Amory Elementary School third, fourth and fifth grade Excel class students participated in the National Garden Clubs’ Smokey the Bear and Woodsy Owl Poster Contest. The school’s winner was Ada Colburn, who not only won first place […]
AMORY – Dance students at the Art in Motion had two special guest instructors on April 15, talented siblings, Marissa and Justin Milele. Marissa was a competitor on FOX network’s “So You Think You Can Dance” and a Tennessee Titans cheerleader. Justin is a hip hop instructor who has worked on the “Alvin and the […]
The day before, he was looking at beaches at Georgia’s St. Simon Island and Florida’s Panama City. By 3 that afternoon, Amory pilot Jimmy Vaughan was planning to be wheels up for another flight to St. Louis. Wedged in between logging flight time, Vaughan was honored April 21 with the Wright Brother’s Master Pilot Award […]
AMORY – Trent Harmon’s grandmothers, Betty McLeod and Betty Harmon, said they knew he was special from a small boy. “I knew he was going to be famous one of these days. He was the first grandchild and has entertained us all of his life,” McLeod said. “I remember Cindy bringing him to my house […]
According to Monroe County Emergency Management Agency Director Bunky Goza, a storm system that swept through the northern part of the county Friday afternoon yielded no injuries and one report of minor structure damage to a home. “The National Weather Service has video of a possible rotating wall cloud, but it never touched down and […]
AMORY – Amory is again receiving notice as the high school’s rocket team will, for the third year in a row, go to Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC) in Washington, D.C., May 11-16. Only the top 100 teams are invited to the National Finals. Amory is the only school in Mississippi to qualify for the […]
For the Monroe Journal TUPELO – Carley Wilemon of Aberdeen sang her way to first place April 23 in the annual Tupelo Elvis Presley Fan Club Scholarship Competition. Wilemon won a $5,000 scholarship with her performance in the Presley birthplace auditorium. She was one of 10 high school senior finalists who performed two songs of […]
BECKER – An estimated 200 people waited in line April 20 at Southern Crossing Outfitters in Amory to take selfies and get autographs from the last ‘American Idol’ Trent Harmon, but the rush was the calm before the storm. Two days later, more than 1,000 people weaved their way from a horseshoe-shaped line in the […]
- Amory School Board approves Waverly field trip for Excel class April 26, 2016
- An open letter to the media from one of your own April 29, 2016
- Business owner approaches Amory aldermen about zoning April 29, 2016
- Lions roar through opening round of baseball playoffs April 29, 2016
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office makes controlled substance arrests April 29, 2016
- Dancy named a national Wendy’s Student Heisman Award recipient May 3, 2016
- Survey shows changing perception of Aberdeen School District May 3, 2016
- Presley holds town hall meeting for citizens to voice concerns May 3, 2016
- East Amory students display talents through poster competition May 3, 2016
- SYTYCD show finalist and actor brother teach classes at AIM May 2, 2016
- Laurenda Richardson: Thank You Ray !!!! Very good article!!!...
- Shanette Loan: There was a time in my life that I waited for the ...
- Bessie: This is a blessing! I worked with Lori many years ...
- Deb Webb: Hey Trent- I loved your voice from the beginnin...
- Demetrice Herron: That is awesome... May god bless the both of you!!...