Tag Archives | featured
For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – First- and second-year health science students at Monroe County Career and Technical Center recently administered health screenings to students from Calvert’s ABC Pre-School. Twenty-one pre-school students and their teachers visited the career and technical center, and health science students screened the pre-school students for weight, blood pressure, vision and […]
AMORY – Nettleton native and Amory resident Allison Harris says she always wanted to serve her country and, on her return from a nine-month deployment in Kuwait, visited her son’s fourth grade class at East Amory Elementary School to speak to the students about her experiences. Harris joined the Army National Guard in 2008 and […]
ABERDEEN – Band students at Aberdeen have recently been submerged to world culture through reading obscure musical pieces from Israel and Japan. Members of the school’s jazz band and vocal ensemble want to submerge the public to musical culture through A Night of Cultural Arts Feb. 8 at 7 p.m. at the Elkin Theatre. The […]
ABERDEEN – Newspaper clips and school board minutes from the late 1960s tell the story of a time of division and change. The Aberdeen Municipal Separate School District, like several other school districts, initiated its Freedom of Choice program in the late 1960s, allowing the ‘mixing of races’ within its schools. After three cases were […]
ABERDEEN – A sense of Volunteerism. Dedication. Academics. The Tombigbee Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution honed in on these attributes among others in selecting a few of Aberdeen and Hamilton’s finest for its annual awards ceremony Jan. 25. “We just felt like this year we had top notch people. It was practically […]
AMORY – While Traci Huguley may be new in her role as Amory Main Street director, she is already a seasoned promoter who has worked for years planning community events through church affiliations. Huguley, who is originally from Vernon, Alabama, is married to Cornerstone Church Pastor Greg Huguley. The couple has two children. “We served […]
AMORY – As per outgoing Monroe County of Chamber of Commerce Chairman Brad Stevens’ report, the county’s workforce has experienced strides during the past two years. Strides to the tune of 625 new people in the county’s workforce, making Monroe County second in an eight-county region in increased employment figures. Clay County, with its boost […]
Trent Harmon fans had a heartdropping moment just before the credits rolled last Wednesday during night one of Hollywood Week on ‘American Idol.’ Shown several times throughout the episode, the drama of his bout of mono set up the last group’s performance. Disregarding his doctor’s advice to go home and rest, Harmon belted out a […]
AMORY – The Physicians and Surgeons Clinic has recently expanded its roster of providers to include Dr. Roy Thomas, an internal medicine practitioner and Monroe County native. “The vision is to expand the scope of practice, so we now have pediatrics, obstetrics, gynecology and adult medicine,” Thomas said. Thomas is a Hamilton High School graduate […]
- Complaint filed in U.S. District Court against former MCSO deputy February 3, 2016
- Tombigbee DAR honors a few outstanding citizens February 5, 2016
- Integration ushered in a new era for the Aberdeen School District February 5, 2016
- Art and music abound for A Night of Cultural Arts February 5, 2016
- Noles run out of firepower against Wildcats February 5, 2016
- Amory Community Garden meeting scheduled February 8, 2016
- Amory police, MCSO make meth arrest February 8, 2016
- Amory woman dies in hospital following house fire February 8, 2016
- Aberdeen School District designated as lone state participant in pilot program February 8, 2016
- Health Science students administer health screenings to preschoolers February 8, 2016
- Diva: Thank God I won't be called for jury duty on this...
- carrollwhite: Come to Aberdeen on our street you can smell it al...
- Kim Stringfield: There have been a lot of huskies come up missing i...
- Laurenda Provias Richardson: Very well written Ray !!! All the memories ... All...
- shanette: Good for MCSO! I hope this case will bring much ne...