ABERDEEN – During his one-year tour of duty in Vietnam, Capt. Robert Barrett estimates he helped transport between 2,000 and 4,000 troops while serving as an aircraft commander on a U.S. Army UH-1H medical evacuation helicopter, but the chance of reconnecting with any of them now is seemingly one in a million. A recent chance […]
Tag Archives | featured
AMORY – The Amory Main Street Fall Festival, held on Frisco Park on Oct. 30, was a tremendous success. More than 1,500 people were estimated to have attended the event. There were more than 20 chili entries in the chili cook-off competition. After judging, the following chili recipes were chosen as first-, second- and third […]
AMORY – Helping with sports medicine in college seems like a glamorous job at a glance, but it is really hard work and a long commitment. Kelsey Cadden of Amory has been involved with the sports medicine department at Ole Miss for almost as long as she’s been enrolled there. The junior travels to all […]
For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – American Legion Auxiliary Unit 26 held its third annual Veterans Day Balloon release for local veterans Nov. 8. More than 150 balloons were released honoring living and deceased veterans, along with POW/MIAs. “This has grown to be one of our favorite events over the past years,” said Diane Belue, […]
Even with Thanksgiving a week away, scenes of the holidays have already staked claim on light poles and underneath downtown awnings and through Christmas open houses throughout the county. Approaching dates for Christmas parades make the holiday season even more real. In normal fashion, the young and young at heart will have plenty of opportunities […]
ABERDEEN – The board of aldermen Tuesday approved Aberdeen Lake to be the host site for the 2015 Central Division Championship for The Bass Federation May 31-June 5. The tournament will bring in as many as 120 anglers from eight states and attract national television coverage. Additionally, Aberdeen Lake will host the Mississippi Bass Federation’s […]
AMORY – Approximately 400 people attended this year’s salute to veterans sponsored by Community Bank, which was held at the Amory National Guard Armory. The event has been held for more than 25 years. “Community Bank is honored to be able to sponsor this event every year. What began over 25 years ago with a […]
AMORY – Sometime on the night of Sept. 6 and during the early morning hours of Sept. 7, several acts of vandalism occurred in the Thomas Street and Dalrymple Street areas. According to the Amory Police Report that week, six cases of malicious mischief were reported. According to the Amory Police Department, cars, houses, street signs […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office requests assistance of the public in locating a missing person from our area. Fifty-four-year-old George “Gregory” Mitchell is 5’6″ and weighs 179 pounds. Mitchell drives a 2000 Chevrolet S10 truck navy blue in color with a Monroe County license plate. He was last seen on Hatley-Detroit Road after 5 p.m. […]
- Wicker speaks to Amory veterans’ breakfast November 19, 2014
- Monroe football preview: Third round November 21, 2014
- Auxiliary Unit 26 hosts annual balloon release November 22, 2014
- Area students work in Ole Miss sports medicine November 22, 2014
- Mississippi’s duck season opens Nov. 27 November 22, 2014
- Tigers blast Panthers for first win of season November 25, 2014
- Student juried Aat competition currently on display at ICC November 25, 2014
- French town adopts grave of fallen Aberdeen WWII soldier November 25, 2014
- Veterans reconnect nearly 47 years after life-saving rescue November 25, 2014
- Amory police search for robbery suspects November 24, 2014
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
- D. K.: Anyone knows that the more evil of the two is hard...
- Student juried Aat competition currently on display at ICC http://t.co/diRtyLetes 2 hours ago
- French town adopts grave of fallen Aberdeen WWII soldier http://t.co/8WgcgWXMRq 7 hours ago
- Veterans reconnect nearly 47 years after life-saving rescue http://t.co/s6RbrwF2Kv 7 hours ago
- Amory police search for robbery suspects http://t.co/49GZ8EwPFC 1 day ago
- Aberdeen man arrested for breaking and entering http://t.co/VOJxpZ80l4 1 day ago