ABERDEEN – There was no family history of breast cancer in Barbara Ann Rowe’s genes, but there was the history of being raised by a tough mother and tough father. That same raising could have been what allowed her to skip four stages of grief and just accept the fact she was diagnosed with breast […]
Tag Archives | featured
The Mississippi Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, which aims to serve uninsured, medically underserved, minority and elderly women, is a year round service that is experiencing an increase in the number of women who need help. “We get at least 20 or more women per month. A lot of people just don’t have […]
AMORY – Carrie Wall grew up on a farm near Columbus, where her family raised nearly everything they ate. “We had all kinds of fresh vegetables and meats, milk, butter and fruit,” said Wall. “We also had an overflowing well.” When she married at an early age, she said she didn’t know much about cooking. […]
For the Monroe Journal The students and staff at the Monroe County Career Technical Center held their annual fall festival on Sept. 30 Many types of home and yard decor, metal art and a grill were among the items made by the students. The Culinary Arts students prepared refreshments and the Allied Health students provided […]
There’s something in the water. That’s what they say. Where the waters of the Mississippi River meet the Delta soil is where sounds started to permeate before eventually being pressed on vinyl in the 1920s for the rest of the world to hear. About an 800-mile drive away from the poverty that influenced the blues, […]
ABERDEEN – Talks regarding an interlocal agreement with the Monroe County Board of Supervisors placing the Matubby Creek bridge on a list for federal bridge repair funding for replacement stretched as the main topic over two governmental meetings last week. “I’m just trying to get things done on this side of the county. We’re at […]
HAMILTON – Keeping quiet about making it to the second round of Nashville auditions for this season of NBC’s “The Voice” has made for a long, bottled up kind of year for Tori Baucom, but in a good way. The Hatley senior, who lives in Hamilton, took a singing voice she’s used in church and […]
AMORY – Unofficial results from Tuesday’s alcohol referendum indicate that Amory voters want to keep the town free of alcohol. For the sale, distribution and possession of light wine with an alcohol content of less than 5 percent and beer of an alcoholic content of no more than 8 percent, the vote was 1,067 for […]
STARKVILLE —Senior Randi-Kathryn Harmon, a communication/public relations major, was selected for the 2015 Miss Mississippi State University title in the recent pageant held Friday [Oct. 10] on campus, according to a press release from MSU. Harmon is the daughter of Randy and Cindy Harmon. She is a 2011 Amory High School graduate who also graduated […]
- Unofficial results indicate Amory will remain dry October 15, 2014
- Nettleton woman arrested for Possession of Ice October 17, 2014
- Cancer proves to be Rowe’s blessing from a curse October 20, 2014
- Program serves underserved, underinsured candidates October 20, 2014
- Wall believes in quality and healthy food October 19, 2014
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education October 22, 2014
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings October 22, 2014
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. October 22, 2014
- Kennedy, Edgeworth power Smithville in first round win October 21, 2014
- Jones gets revenge for Myrtle’s walks October 21, 2014
- kyle ruff: I miss you...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education http://t.co/eiI59nPUnI 5 hours ago
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings http://t.co/5vwgaIHpEW 5 hours ago
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. http://t.co/faPKpA9eon 5 hours ago
- ICC to present Homecoming Court Saturday http://t.co/dnqnXXbzVB 1 day ago
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman http://t.co/p4M3Y1mlMc 1 day ago