Voters in Amory, Baldwyn and Shannon will choose mayors and Booneville will narrow its mayoral field for the general election in party primary runoffs today. They are among 11 Northeast Mississippi municipalities holding runoffs. Tupelo is not one of them; the two-man mayor’s race will be decided in the June 4 general election. Polls open [...]
Tag Archives | featured
AMORY – Richard Murry opened the first Wheel City in Verona in 1989, but came to Amory in 1994 at the suggestion of a customer. “After the guy commented that Amory needed a tire business, I researched it and it looked good,” Murry said. Originally from Blue Mountain, Murry also opened a Wheel City in [...]
ABERDEEN – In a somber ceremony Thursday, April 18, cadets from Aberdeen High School’s JROTC program paid tribute to former AHS JROTC cadet, Sgt. Adam Ray, who was killed in Afghanistan in 2010. “It meant a lot to me to be a part of this. This ceremony made me realize we’re honoring a hero. After [...]
AMORY – On Friday, May 10, East and West Amory Elementary Students were treated with a visit from Miss Natchez Trace 2013, Randi Kathryn Harmon. Harmon was present to promote her Miss Mississippi platform “P.E.A.C.E. for Children” (Physical Exercise And Careful Eating) and also her new children’s book, “P.E.A.C.E. for Pandas” she has recently written. [...]
As smart minds engineer ways to speed the information age right on along, criminal minds find new ways to manipulate technology to their advantage. Cyberstalking and Craigslist scams are terms once unheard of, but are now just more cases for law enforcement to investigate. To adapt with the changing technology, the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office [...]
AMORY – Local officials hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony Thursday, May 9 for the town’s newest playground. Located at the Pea Patch, the playground was made possible through a grant through KaBoom!, Dr. Pepper and Snapple. The community build project was first mentioned last year as part of Amory’s Healthy Hometown Initiative. The city was [...]
NETTLETON – Tenn Tom Sports has seen some changes during the past 20 years. For 10 years, Gene and Gail Conwill operated a store in Bigbee, then known as Conwill Grocery and Sports, before changing to a full line hunting and fishing supply store and switching to Tenn Tom Sports. Seven years later, the Conwills [...]
For the Monroe Journal Oxford – Former Miss Mississippi/Recording Artist/Actress, Mary Donnelly Haskell, will star in the title role of Dolly Levi, the meddling matchmaker in Jerry Herman’s iconic Broadway Musical “Hello Dolly” June 27-30 at the Ford Center for the Performing Arts at Ole Miss. “Hello Dolly” will be the featured full scale musical [...]
OXFORD – Wesley H. Ortiz (wesleyhortiz.com), born in Amory, culminates his graduate studies at The University of Mississippi in Oxford with a thesis exhibition at the Southside Gallery on Oxford’s historic square. The show, titled Muted Resistance, features 12 works completed during the past year. The works, created with gesso, acrylic, charcoal and graphite, combine [...]
- Public voices concerns about declining neighborhoods May 16, 2013
- Amory School Board Special-Called Meeting May 16, 2013
- KaBOOM! playground officially dedicated May 15, 2013
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office launches Cyber Crimes Unit May 16, 2013
- Booklunch series hosts Anderson as May guest May 14, 2013
- Runoff Election results 2013 May 21, 2013
- Hazzle won’t return as the Bulldogs’ coach May 21, 2013
- Nettleton tops rival Mooreville for trip to state May 21, 2013
- Aberdeen officials ask residents to comply with trash ordinance May 21, 2013
- Amory Dance Centre takes spring recital to the Elkin May 21, 2013
- Annette: No he probably don't live on 5th. Nor 7th. He's ...
- Gary Carr: David do u live on 5th or 7th ave...
- Mark Steves: We can’t deny how a tragic accident can affect o...
- Annette: Spreaded all over everywhere is gonna look as stup...
- Annette: David it's nothing to you if I don't take the ti...
- Aberdeen officials ask residents to comply with trash ordinance http://t.co/Qlo6M4jHBe 10 hours ago
- Amory Dance Centre takes spring recital to the Elkin http://t.co/bQmxv94xim 10 hours ago
- Amory man charged with burglary of vehicle, larceny http://t.co/qj8ZWkvoaS 1 day ago
- Amory man charged with allegedly stealing music equipment http://t.co/0Ewt0IlVGR 1 day ago
- Travel Channel features Bill's Hamburgers this week http://t.co/vGVsoKoOXX 1 day ago