By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Smithville has clinched its division title, but that’s not the goal for the Lady Seminoles. Smithville (17-6) still has the fresh taste of losing in last season’s Class 1A North finals against West Union and wants another taste of 2012’s state championship. One key to that run is the meat […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal NETTLETON – Kaleigh Tackett was chasing foul balls when Nettleton’s string of six straight Class 3A fast pitch championship series began. Now, with fellow seniors Lauren Baldwyn and MariAnna Young, Nettleton is seeking a seventh shot and a fourth title. There are multiple keys to Nettleton’s success, but one underlying […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal NETTLETON – The Nettleton Lady Tigers hosted a fastpitch tournament last Saturday and wrapped the event up with a pair of wins over Hamilton and Smithville. Nettleton 8, Hamilton 1 Taylor Hyland started the game with a base hit and was bunted to second base by Raimi Bryan. […]
BY BRANDON SPECK Daily Journal NETTLETON – Pontotoc junior Chandler Gates caught Smithville off-guard all day with nasty pitches in a 7-1 victory in six innings at the Nettleton Tournament on Saturday. “Chandler mixed it up well. She’s a North all-star for a reason,” Smithville coach Jeremy Duke said. Duke will be coaching Gates in […]
By Sam Baker For the Monroe Journal AMORY – Hoping to take their Division 1-4A record to 3-2, the Amory Panthers gave the ball to Cole Robinson hoping he could deliver. The senior answered the call, helping Amory take the wire-to-wire 7-1 victory on Thursday night. In support of their starter, the Panthers scored 7 […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The Nettleton Tigers scored 36 runs on Friday in taking two games against the young, inexperienced Aberdeen Bulldogs in Division 4-3A baseball. In the first game, a 16-0 win, Nettleton centerfielder Levert Jernigan reached on a walk leading off and scored the Tigers’ first run on […]
By Zac Carlisle Monroe Journal HATLEY – After getting swept by division rival New Site and county rival Smithville last week, the Hatley Tigers (6-13, 2-4) were looking for some kind of spark to get themselves back on the right track for their playoff hopes. They found it on Thursday night with a 7-2 Division […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal AMORY – Josie Booth held the Tishomingo County Lady Braves to two runs on five scattered hits and drove in the winning run as the Lady Panthers took a 3-2 division win on Thursday night in Amory. Bailey Oswalt saw only three pitches in the game, but turned […]
Every week at some point while I’m out covering a game, I have someone remark on how busy I stay and wonder how I’m able to get to all your games and everything else that I cover each week. Imagine trying to schedule a surgery and recuperate from it during spring sports, probably the busiest […]
- County named in $500,000 lawsuit April 15, 2014
- Horticulture program seeks votes for grant competition April 14, 2014
- Otis Bass identified as Nettleton shooter April 17, 2014
- MSU Extension Service hosts tomato workshop April 17, 2014
- Strong pitching, hitting lift Tigers over Walnut April 17, 2014
- Lady Noles prepping for playoff run April 20, 2014
- Youth, weights have carried Nettleton softball April 20, 2014
- Easy Easter dinner menu gives ideas for the holiday meal April 20, 2014
- Lady Tigers sweep Hamilton, Smithville in tourney April 19, 2014
- Vikings’ pitcher keeps Lady Noles guessing April 19, 2014
- former runner: I hope this program will get the financial support...
- Ronald: The pic your looking at is a different a Joshua an...
- DSG: I don't see a scratch on him??? Was that picture ...
- Here for Now: It's not like at least half the town isn't drink...
- Isn\'t This the 21st Century: Bishop Freeman I've eaten at O'charleys, Chilis,...
- Lady Noles prepping for playoff run http://t.co/uY0hVse0sh 9 hours ago
- Easy Easter dinner menu gives ideas for the holiday meal http://t.co/tNiGjj0zJV 18 hours ago
- Lady Tigers sweep Hamilton, Smithville in tourney http://t.co/ukRg6CKX5o 1 day ago
- Local farmer supports Relay for Life through America’s Grow Communities http://t.co/o9G8L1TKDS 2 days ago
- Man with Nettleton ties helped pen hits http://t.co/zihSXHZB6Z 2 days ago