PONTOTOC/FULTON – Grabbing one win on the road in a tough Division 1-4A is a tall enough task. The Amory Panthers doubled the sweetness of victory on Monday, by sweeping the top two teams in their region with a 5-3 win at Pontotoc and an 9-4 nightcap clincher of Itawamba AHS. “I’m proud of all […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
NETTLETON – In a tough matchup for both teams just a week before the playoffs start for each, the Nettleton Lady Tigers pulled away late from Hatley for a 9-2 win on Monday afternoon. “We’ve been off a week, and I could tell early we were having trouble with our approach at the plate,” Nettleton […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal HAMILTON – “Finally,” Hamilton coach Bryan Loague said. “We have been preaching to these girls all season to take a different approach at the plate – to be more aggressive. The lesson finally kicked in tonight.” The Lady Lions pounded out 18 hits as they downed the IAHS […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal HATLEY – It was raining when the game started, and it was raining when the game ended, but the Hatley Tigers didn’t let the sogginess dampen their spirits as they downed Baldwyn 4-0 last Tuesday to clinch their division. Lefthander Clay Pearson took the mound for the Tigers […]
BY GENE PHELPS DAILY JOURNAL NETTLETON – Dana Rhea wasn’t ready to proclaim Nettleton the Division 4-3A champion last Tuesday night. He was quite reluctant moments after his team defeated North Pontotoc 6-0 to improve to 15-2 overall and 8-0 in division play with two games remaining. “There’s still softball to be played,” the Lady […]
HATLEY – The Amory Panthers piled up a big lead early and added to it late for a 16-8 win on the road at Hatley on Saturday. The Panthers piled up 16 hits on the night and had all 9 starters reach base at least once. “If we didn’t put up all those runs early, […]
NETTLETON – The Nettleton Lady Tigers have taken the role of getting hot late in games. They continued that streak on Friday afternoon, scoring 8 runs in the final two innings for an 11-3 win over Hamilton. “That’s kind of the role this bunch has taken lately. It takes three or four innings to get […]
SMITHVILLE – In what was a cold offensive game for Smithville, Morgan Barrett stayed strong in the circle, and the Lady Noles picked up a 6-3 win in Game 1 of a doubleheader sweep of Vardaman. “We didn’t hit the ball well at all in this first game,” Smithville coach Jeremy Duke said. “I thought […]
BELDEN – The Hamilton Lions jumped out to a 3-0 lead against TCPS last Thursday only to see the Eagles come flying back to take a 13-3 win in five innings. With two out in the top of the first, Alan Baty drew a walk. A double by Austin Bishop put runners at second and […]
- One day you’ll want to be a know-it-all so learn as much of it now April 18, 2015
- Amory schools report improved finances, promising ACT scores April 23, 2015
- School district to implement athletic code of conduct April 23, 2015
- Touch-A-Truck event to be rescheduled April 23, 2015
- Lady Tigers notch sweep for Division 4-3A title April 23, 2015
- Conservator releases April agenda for ASD April 25, 2015
- When the adrenaline runs out and the fever runs up April 25, 2015
- Panthers sweep on division road trip April 24, 2015
- Nettleton edges away late against Hatley April 24, 2015
- Lady Lions get aggressive to pound Lady Indians April 24, 2015
- Linda Brown Pearce: I so enjoyed the Railroal Festival! I only got to ...
- michelle harris: Thank you for this great article on our Craig Wayn...
- michelle harris: What a fantastic article about our Craig Wayne Boy...
- Ed Harden: Coach Pierce is the best man I have ever known. T...
- Laurenda: Hats Off to MCSD !!!! GLAD JUSTICE IS SERVED FOR O...