Nettleton senior Brittany Adams wasn’t able to take the field for the Lady Tigers’ fast-pitch softball season after tearing her ACL in basketball. However, next year, she will be able to take the field for the ICC softball team as she signed her national letter of intent on Wednesday to play for the Indians. “I […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Smithville’s Lane Kennedy and Hamilton’s Addie Thompson spent their last two years of high school with their softball teams being fierce rivals. Now, as part of the ICC softball team, the two have formed a lasting friendship amid a season full of highs for the Indians. “I think I got this scholarship for a reason […]
First year Hatley football coach Zane Thomas has only been on the job three months, but he already feels at home. Thomas credited the work ethic of his players, the help from his assistant coaches and the enthusiasm for the football program in his easy transition. “Coach (Patrick) Schoolar did an outstanding job building a […]
By Madison Shumpert Nettleton High School Annual Staff NETTLETON – It is not every day that a nationally recognized athlete returns to his southern roots to give back. Retired NFL player Jason Ferguson, who played a total of 13 seasons for various teams including the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets, returned to Nettleton a […]
FULTON – Itawamba Community College men’s basketball coach Grant Pate announced the addition of former Aberdeen High School standout Marcus Carouthers on Friday. The 6-foot-3 forward was named the 2015 Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal Player of the Year and the 2015 Small Schools All-Area Boys Player of the Year by Commercial Dispatch after helping lead […]
Blue Mountain College baseball nabbed another local player this week for the 2017 season, signing Nettleton High School’s Cody Payne last Tuesday. The 6-foot-1 corner infielder batted .448 in his senior outing of high school, while knocking in 34 runs, scoring 32 and boasting a .557 on-base percentage. Payne hit six home runs and eight […]
Just a little more than a month after playing in the state championship tournament, Amory High School Class of 2016 graduate Russell Applewhite had more good news for his tennis career as he signed with Itawamba Community College on Friday. “It’s like home for me. My whole family has went there, and it’s where I’ve […]
MOOREVILLE – Amory’s Carley Westbrook has been used to staying busy with her high school sports after playing both slow and fast pitch softball and soccer. On Thursday night, Westbrook had her final hurrah in the NEMSBCA slow-pitch all star game at Mooreville in which she picked up Offensive Most Valuable Player honors. “This being […]
FULTON – In a busy two days of soccer at Itawamba Community College, both Amory soccer teams reached the championship game of the 7 on 7 tournaments held last Tuesday and Wednesday. The Panthers fell 2-0 to Tupelo in the boys’ finals on Wednesday, while the girls lost to regular nemesis Saltillo on Tuesday by […]
- Landmark designation sought for Hatley School June 27, 2016
- Aberdeen School District holding budget hearing June 27, 2016
- Shooting sends one to Aberdeen hospital June 27, 2016
- Conservator OKs board policies June 28, 2016
- Applications available for MCSO summer youth mentoring program June 28, 2016
- Smithsonian’s ‘Hometown Teams’ exhibit opening at Amory Regional Museum June 30, 2016
- Monroe County artists release new singles June 30, 2016
- Fourth of July events planned in Amory and in Nettleton June 30, 2016
- Monroe Journal wins six Mississippi Press Association awards June 30, 2016
- Nettleton’s Adams signs with ICC softball June 29, 2016
- Carroll White: Would love to see this happen for the Hatley Schoo...
- Chad Houston: Great article!!! The event called "Cruisin' Amor...
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....
- Carlos Ann Sanders: Congratulations to the Amory Panthers and to Coach...
- Anti-bigot: This article is a joke just like this county and t...