The Smithville Seminoles opened their season on Friday night in come from behind fashion. Down 26-14 in the closing minutes of the third quarter, the Noles rallied to score 21 unanswered points for a 35-26 season-opening win. “It was looking pretty bleak there for a little while,” Smithville coach Chad Collums said. “Our boys never […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
BY BRANDON SPECK Daily Journal ABERDEEN – Aberdeen lost its season-opener, but may have found something in the process. The Bulldogs, who fell from No. 1 to No. 3 in the Daily Journal’s small school rankings, lost 21-20 to No. 2 large school Corinth. As the schedule doesn’t let up this week at New Hope, […]
Aberdeen was kicking itself the next morning. Corinth kicked off the season Friday night by beating the Journal’s No. 1 small school 21-20. After Memphis-commit Jerrick Orr’s 35-yard touchdown catch with 24 seconds to play at Lester Miley Stadium, Aberdeen went for two – for the third time – and Corinth’s Javen Morrison knocked away […]
Trailing 20-6 going into the fourth quarter, the Nettleton Tigers tried to mount a comeback that fell just short in the closing minutes of the game. “When we cut it to 20-18, we got the ball back and had a chance to go ahead,” Nettleton coach Mike Scott said. “We just couldn’t move the ball […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal HATLEY – Fresh off their first playoff appearance in school history, Hatley kept things going in the right direction, opening the 2015 season with a 34-6 win over Potts Camp. “This program has not experienced a lot of success over the years,” Hatley coach Patrick Schoolar said, “One […]
HAMILTON – The miscues happened early for Hamilton, and larger school South Pontotoc jumped on them in a 49-13 route in the Lions’ season opener. The Cougars turned four Hamilton turnovers into points and rode the momentum to the dominating win. “Our injuries are hurting us right now, but that’s no excuse. We’re depending on […]
For the Monroe Journal The Amory Panthers opened the season on the road on Friday night, suffering a 40-6 loss at Madison Ridgeland Academy. MRA led 7-0 after the first quarter and 34-6 at halftime. Scott Carter scored the lone Panthers’ touchdown on a 55-yard run with 7:35 to go in the second quarter. He […]
AMORY – The Amory Lady Panthers got all the scoring they needed early in the game on Thursday night in an 8-0 route of Mantachie. Amory built up a 6-0 lead after just two innings and cruised from there. “We talked about that before the game, that we had been playing good defense and waiting […]
It won’t go down on their record, but defending Class 1A slow pitch softball champion Smithville opened the 2015 season with an unofficial 2-0 start. The Lady Noles topped Itawamba AHS 7-2 and South Pontotoc 4-3 in Saturday’s preseason Mooreville Jamboree. “I thought we did a good job coming in today. It’s just good to […]
- One for the legend, two the memories: Son of the late Carl Perkins shares a little about his rockabilly daddy August 21, 2015
- Tigers roar for season-opening win August 26, 2015
- Cougars take advantage of Lions’ mistakes in route August 26, 2015
- Panthers fall on road at MRA August 26, 2015
- Reward continues to increase in shooting case August 26, 2015
- Monroe County residents have access to good mental health care August 28, 2015
- Affordable medical care offered through Lifecore August 28, 2015
- Noles come from behind against Cards August 27, 2015
- Bulldogs build up depth at quarterback August 27, 2015
- Bulldogs’ rally comes up just short August 27, 2015
- Michael: That's why we need better sidewalks and crosswalk...
- Body of missing Bartlett fisherman found - Bartlett ExpressBartlett Express: […] an earlier story about the search effort...
- Helen Whitten: How would itawamba county go about getting these r...
- debbie jones: Why in the world is the bond so low? Is $5000 all ...
- Linda: These folks were operating in Nashville several ye...