CORINTH – Just a day after their disappointing Class 1A state championship loss, Smithville’s four seniors – Micah McCain, Cole Williams, Kyle Noe and Neil Knight – found themselves on the end of another tight defeat, this one as part of the 1A/2A East all-stars in the annual NEMCABB all-star games on Saturday afternoon. The […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Three Hamilton seniors signed on Tuesday to continue their athletic careers next year at Itawamba Community College – Addie Thompson with softball, Sarah Garvin with women’s basketball and Mark Tipton with golf. Thompson, who has been a part of three state championship teams in slow-pitch and helped lead the Lady Lions to the fast-pitch state […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal BOONEVILLE – Nine area players participated in the Northeast Mississippi Football Coaches Association (NEMFCA) All-Star football game on Wedneday hosted by Northeast Community College in Booneville. Former Aberdeen quarterback Josh Williams drew the starting nod for the East squad and was named the Offensive MVP. Williams hit former […]
Smithville coach Steve Kerr saved his ace and senior Micah McCain for Game 2. In the fifth inning, however, McCain’s chance to go the distance was nearly ruined. Craig Bradley’s comebacker to the mound on a fastball smashed off McCain’s throwing arm, forcing his coach to come out to check on his starter. “I came […]
PEARL – Last season, Smithville celebrated a Class 1A state baseball title on the field at Trustmark Park as Cathedral players watched. This year, the roles were reversed as the Seminoles’ (20-14) bid for back-to-back titles came to an end with a two-game sweep by Cathedral. The Green Wave completed the series with a 4-2 […]
By Rob Williams Monroe Journal AMORY – In football language it’s called a “4-2” scrimmage. Four teams are invited and each plays two halves against two of the other teams. On Thursday night, the Amory Panthers hosted Kossuth, Booneville and Mantachie in a “4-2.” The Panthers opened the evening with a half against Kossuth and […]
The Aberdeen Bulldogs graduate their longtime starting quarterback Josh Williams, but in their spring game over Okolona on Thursday, the offense didn’t miss a beat. The Bulldogs’ offense pounded out six touchdowns to trounce the Chieftains, and incoming senior Tramonte Prather showed his poise at quarterback. “He did really well for us throwing the football,” […]
Hatley shortstop Jonathan Waycaster will take his game to the next level, signing on Wednesday to play baseball for Itawamba Community College. Waycaster helped lead the Tigers to a North finals appearance this season. “I think seeing the campus and knowing a lot of the players that are going to be playing next year helped […]
Amory senior Ashley Thompson will take her basketball game to the next level, signing last Wednesday to play for Pearl River Community College next year. “I’m really excited about signing, and it’s really a blessing,” Thompson said. “I was traveling to different colleges and trying out, and this one I really liked in particular.” Thompson […]
- Living the ‘River Life’: Retired teacher tests waters of kayak rental venture May 29, 2015
- LEPC meeting delves in deeper to LEPC structure May 23, 2015
- Repeat denied: Cathedral spoils Noles’ bid for back-to-back championships May 27, 2015
- McCain, Noe lock down on defense in Game 2 May 27, 2015
- The criminal class versus law enforcement May 28, 2015
- I’m already trying to graduate past the tears, sniffles May 30, 2015
- All hail the kings and queens of the rhododendrons and cookie cutters May 30, 2015
- Area players compete in NEMCABB all-star game May 29, 2015
- Hamilton trio inks with Itawamba CC May 29, 2015
- Smartphone app downloads dealings of the Amory Police Department May 29, 2015
- Ray Van Dusen: That contact number is 640-2043. Have a blast if y...
- KMyhand: Any contact information or details on how to book ...
- Johndoe: Does Glen Bingham even live in AMory....I thought ...
- John Doe: Does glen Bingham even live in the city limits of ...
- Herschell Pargo: I want to commend you for your work on General you...