TUPELO – The Hamilton Lady Lions rebounded from an 0-1 division start and a tough loss at the Monroe County Tournament last weekend by bagging their first division win of the season on the road at Tupelo Christian Prep. The Lady Lions took control in the second and third quarters to roll out to the […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal Nettleton senior Hayden Guin will continue his baseball career next season, signing on Friday to play for Itawamba Community College. Guin, a left-handed pitcher, helped lead the Tigers to the 3A North finals last year where they fell in three games to eventual state champion Kossuth. Nettleton coach Will Hawkins […]
By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal Hatley catcher Mary Kathryn Reeves will take her softball career to the next level, signing on Thursday to play next season at Itawamba Community College. “I’m really excited because I’ve worked a long time for this,” Reeves said on Thursday. “It’s a great opportunity to have because not many people […]
By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal AMORY – Aberdeen completed the sweep of the county tournament titles as the Bulldogs closed out the weekend with a 62-28 win over host Amory to take the boys’ championship for the second year in a row. It was the second dominating win of the weekend for the Bulldogs (14-2), […]
by David Wheeler Special to the Journal SALTILLO – The Saltillo boys broke won its first Lee County championship in decades in blowout fashion but the Nettleton girls had to rally in a game that saw five fourth-quarter ties on Saturday. Nettleton’s Jabria Pounds sank two free throws with 41 seconds left and the Tigers […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – The Smithville Seminoles fought off a tough TCPS team on Tuesday night and pulled out a 10-point, division-opening win, 50-40, with a strong finish. Neither teams managed more than a two-point lead in the opening quarter as the teams matched bucket-for-bucket. The Eagles took a steal […]
By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal AMORY – The Amory Lady Panthers secured their playoff spot on Tuesday night with a 1-0 win over Pontotoc, then turned around and claimed the Division 2-4A title on Friday with a 4-1 road win at Caledonia. The Lady Panthers will host a first round playoff game next week. “It’s […]
Basketball Friday (G) West Point 61, Aberdeen 40 Kirstin Metcalf scored 11 points for the Lady Bulldogs in the loss. (B) Aberdeen 58, West Point 51 Marcus Carouthers led the Bulldogs with 22 points in the win. Queshod Young chipped in with 12 points. (G) Shannon 75, Amory 33 Ashley Thompson scored 10 points for […]
SMITHVILLE – Smithville boys’ basketball coach Nick Coln has seen his team start out slow much of the season. On Friday, the Noles didn’t let a slow start stop them from pulling out a 52-42 win over county rival Hatley. “We’ve started every game, 15 games now, slow,” Coln said. “It seems like our first, […]
- Man accused of killing dog with bow and arrow arrested January 23, 2015
- Salute to Service awards honor two impactful individuals January 21, 2015
- Majority of Coontail, Wren customers vote ‘no’ to merger January 25, 2015
- Kimbrough’s concoctions prove she likes to cook a little of this and a little of that January 25, 2015
- Getting newspapers into the hands of students through NIE January 26, 2015
- Bond set for subject arrested in B&E case January 28, 2015
- Independent movie makes local stop on film tour January 28, 2015
- Gulf Ordnance Plant to be featured on National Geographic Channel series January 28, 2015
- Amory enters garbage collection service with the county January 28, 2015
- Lady Lions cruise in division road win January 27, 2015
- Michael Hontz: An eye for an eye leaves the world blind....
- Michael Hontz: He's not been convicted yet and you people have h...
- Barbara: I wonder what ever prompts a human being to be so ...
- Chris Madden: Its is ridiculous that the punishment for murderin...
- Trent: When are states going to do the right thing and ge...