Hatley’s Madison Seals has played through the pain of a broken back, then became the cheerleader and inspirational leader for her team on the sidelines after undergoing spinal surgery. Last week, the incoming Hatley senior, who plays both basketball and softball, was recognized for her courage and perseverance as she was awarded the Unselfish Hero […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
New Hatley girls’ basketball coach Ben Stark has learned the ropes the last three years from Scott Carter and Terry Walters. Now, Stark is ready to take over the reins and adapt his own style of coaching to the Lady Tigers. “I’m really excited for the opporunity to be the head coach. I’ve had the […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – If there was a rule in baseball that only earned runs counted in a team’s score, the Smithville Seminoles would have beaten Tupelo Christian Preparatory School 3-2 on Friday night in the Swamp in Game 2 of the North finals. The Noles would have evened the […]
RIDGELAND – If it weren’t for one big play, the Smithville Lady Noles might not be hoisting up a second-straight Class 1A fast-pitch softball state championship. Up 4-0 going into the bottom of the seventh of a decisive Game 3, the Lady Noles saw Bogue Chitto rally to tie the game. The Lady Bobcats were […]
The Amory tennis team capped off a successful season with a strong showing at last week’s state championship tournament in Oxford last Monday and Tuesday. Amory tennis was led by senior Russell Applewhite and junior Megan Finney reaching the semifinals in mixed doubles and freshman Luke Flippo reaching the semifinals in boys’ singles. Eli Black […]
Next season, Amory senior Caleb Shelly will be putting his kicking skills to test on the football field at Holmes Community College. “I’m super excited to get the opportunity to play college football. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do,” Shelly said. “Holmes isn’t in a very big town, but I’m going to fit in […]
Hamilton sprinter Keshon Heard, who will play cornerback next season at Northwest Mississippi Community College, has won another Class 1A state title in the 100-meter dash. Heard ran an 11.1 to win the event. “I was hoping to run a 10.7 today, but first place is good,” the senior said after winning. It’s Heard’s second […]
SMITHVILLE – Morgan Barrett got the job done offensively and in the circle on Saturday afternoon to send the Smithville Lady Noles to another Class 1A state championship series. Barrett held rival Hamilton to four hits and hit two RBI doubles and drove in three runs in the Lady Noles’ 9-3 win to sweep the […]
NETTLETON – The Nettleton Lady Tigers’ rival Mooreville took an early lead in game two of the Class 3A North finals, then took advantage of some miscues to come away with a commanding 6-1 win to earn a trip to the state championship series. Down 2-1, Nettleton made four errors in the final three innings […]
- Riverview Garden Club hosts luncheon May 22, 2016
- Shooting incident raises questions about party ordinance May 26, 2016
- Hatley’s Seals rewarded for her perseverance through injury May 26, 2016
- Communities honoring those passed with Memorial Day ceremonies May 27, 2016
- Aberdeen PTO presidents host parent forum May 27, 2016
- Social Security Center: Shame on you May 29, 2016
- Gadow shares some of family’s favorite recipes May 29, 2016
- Mental Health and you May 28, 2016
- Leave the caps at home May 28, 2016
- MCSO seeks whereabouts of Nettleton man May 27, 2016
- Cindy Wilkerson: Thank you to the mayor and to the board of alderme...
- Ellen Redding-Jordan: May she rest in Peace, I meet her and her husband ...
- Gregv Worthey: I couldn't possibly disagree more!! While admitti...
- Jeanette Sudduth: She was a sweet person I got a chance to video her...
- S. Robbins: Every Mayor that's serious about having a good fa...