By David Wheeler Special to the Journal BELDEN – Hatley finished its pre-division schedule Friday with a 48-6 victory over the Tupelo Christian Eagles. “We used our speed tonight,” Hatley coach Patrick Schoolar said. “The TCPS defense was tough early against things we usually do well, and we made some adjustments.” Those adjustments for Hatley […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – “We were worried about Coldwater this week,” Smithville coach Chad Collums said. “We knew the kind of speed they had, and we didn’t want them to break long plays against us.” Collums’ defense eased the coach’s mind by not only stopping the long plays, but keeping […]
By SCOTTY NICHOLS Itawamba County Times NETTLETON – Friday night turned into a “getting back on track” game for Nettleton before division play, as they finished off their nondivision slate with a 48-20 win over Mantachie. “I think we played a lot better on both sides of the ball than what we have been,” Nettleton […]
By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – In a game that decided the Division 4-1A title between softball rivals Hamilton and Smithville, the division ended up being second to the number of long balls that left Smithville’s field on Tuesday night. A whopping 25 home runs were hit as Smithville topped Hamilton 27-22, but the […]
For the Monroe Journal Amory came out on top at its home swimming meet on Saturday, placing first with a score of 237 points. Mississippi School of Math and Science placed second with 155 points, while West Point was third with 79 points. Other schools who participated were Ingomar, Itawamba AHS and Tupelo Christian Prep. […]
Aberdeen 42, Corinth 7 Amory 27, Bruce 0 Hatley 48, TCPS 6 Nettleton 35, Mantachie 20 Smithville 28, Coldwater 0
Aberdeen (3-2) at Corinth (4-1) Last week: Aberdeen 57, Itawamba AHS 29; Corinth 52, New Albany 13…Up 30-22 at the half, Aberdeen scored four straight TDs in the third quarter to secure its win on Friday…QB Josh Williams and WR Jerrick Orr hooked up for three straight in that period…Williams also threw a TD to […]
BY BRANDON SPECK Daily Journal ABERDEEN – Jerrick Orr was in the dog house during the first half of Aberdeen’s 57-29 win Friday against Itawamba AHS. He returned to the field in the third quarter and took three balls to the house as Aberdeen pulled away. The junior has the tools to land the Bulldogs […]
BY BRANDON SPECK Daily Journal HAMILTON – Keshon Heard is sort of the last Lions standing. His brothers, former Hamilton standouts Zarratt Sims, the oldest, and Quinshay Heard, moved off to college, leaving the youngest of the tribe all on his own. He’s no little Lion, though. The speedy Hamilton junior running back is 6-feet, […]
- Aberdeen woman faces grand larceny charge September 29, 2014
- Retailer supplies blazers for Handa Cup opening ceremonies September 25, 2014
- Water rate increase meeting held in Smithville September 30, 2014
- Amory man charged with possession of contraband in a correctional facility September 29, 2014
- Amory senior named National Merit Semifinalist September 29, 2014
- Tigers finish nondivision with third-straight win of the season October 1, 2014
- MCSO arrests alleged Highway 45A shooter October 1, 2014
- Noles’ defense pitches shutout against Cougars October 1, 2014
- Tigers pound Mustangs early October 1, 2014
- Hamilton Post Office kicks off awareness month with annual event October 1, 2014
- Diva: Was she a home health worker? It is not clear as t...
- Jennifer: Amory is turning into another version of Aberdeen....
- caleb: I can trap beaver in Monroe ms trapperman201 4@yah...
- Belinda Sue Beckley: Dr.Neil Wanee was my Dr in Fishers, Indiana for 4 ...
- Doug Cuthbert: You are correct I am not registered to vote here. ...
- MCSO arrests alleged Highway 45A shooter http://t.co/N9pGSqqqxj 1 hour ago
- Hamilton Post Office kicks off awareness month with annual event http://t.co/jXxDmZIdUB 9 hours ago
- Volunteers of the Decade Award highlights Main Street awards http://t.co/YWeoHyy0k3 9 hours ago
- Main event changed for Smithville Smackdown event http://t.co/1dKp3B723i 22 hours ago
- October brings opening of squirrel, deer archery seasons http://t.co/fKOq29WRo8 1 day ago