BY DENNIS CLAYTON New Albany Gazette INGOMAR – Lane Kennedy and Breanna Edgeworth supplied the home runs when Smithville needed a big hit and helped the Lady Noles to a 2-0 sweep of Ingomar in the opening round of slow pitch playoffs on Thursday. Kennedy hit a two-run homer in game one and a leadoff […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HAMILTON – Hamilton’s Hailee Jones has thrived on seeing her teammate Addie Thompson intentionally walked in front of her. Jones, a junior first baseman, blasted three home runs in that situation on Tuesday as the Lady Lions swept Myrtle 11-4, 16-0 in the first round of the Class 1A slow-pitch playoffs. “I just want to […]
NETTLETON – Nettleton coach Dana Rhea crossed two numbers off his list on Thursday night. “We started today eight wins away from our goal,” Rhea said. “We’re counting down and finding something to get our minds on the goal. It’s something we can have fun and relax with.” The Lady Tigers (26-4) trimmed that number […]
Louisville 37, Aberdeen 6 Amory 36, Shannon 14 Hamilton 38, Biggersville 6 Hatley 19, Mantachie 7 Kemper County 50, Nettleton 6 Smithville 34, Vardaman 6
Louisville (4-4, 2-0 Division 4-3A) at Aberdeen (6-2, 2-0 Division 4-3A) Last week: Aberdeen 40, Kemper County 36; Louisville 52, South Pontotoc 0…QB Josh Williams’ 45-yard TD run with 5:52 to go lifted the Bulldogs over Kemper County last week…Williams also had an 11-yard scoring run and caught Parish Cratic for a 14-yard score…Louisville is […]
AMORY – Amory got revenge on the team that put them out of last year’s playoffs in a big way, blasting Pontotoc 36-0 to even up their Division 1-4A record. “We talked a lot this week about the fact that Pontotoc broke our hearts last year,” Amory coach Ben Ashley said. “They were definitely reminded […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal NETTLETON – Watching the visitors warm up before the game, Nettleton injured senior quarterback Jordan Smith said. “They don’t have a lot of players, but the ones they have are big and athletic.” The bigger, more athletic Winona Tigers took advantage of Nettleton mistakes to jump out to […]
By Melissa Meador and Brandon Speck Monroe Journal Aberdeen passed the first of two huge tests on Friday night with a 40-36 win at Kemper County. The Journal’s No. 1 medium school hosts Louisville this week. Thanks to Josh Williams’ 45-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter, the Bulldogs won the back-and-forth affair to improve […]
Hamilton running back Keshon Heard took an already stellar season to another level on Friday night. The junior piled up 320 yards on 11 carries and found the endzone four times in the Lions’ 36-22 win over Thrasher on Friday night. “When we needed something big to happen on Friday night, we put the ball […]
- Nettleton woman arrested for Possession of Ice October 17, 2014
- Formerly bullied teen has ‘The Voice’ to gain praise in show’s auditions October 16, 2014
- School board honors fallen member October 19, 2014
- Wall believes in quality and healthy food October 19, 2014
- Program serves underserved, underinsured candidates October 20, 2014
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education October 22, 2014
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings October 22, 2014
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. October 22, 2014
- Kennedy, Edgeworth power Smithville in first round win October 21, 2014
- Jones gets revenge for Myrtle’s walks October 21, 2014
- kyle ruff: I miss you...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education http://t.co/eiI59nPUnI 13 hours ago
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings http://t.co/5vwgaIHpEW 13 hours ago
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. http://t.co/faPKpA9eon 13 hours ago
- ICC to present Homecoming Court Saturday http://t.co/dnqnXXbzVB 1 day ago
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman http://t.co/p4M3Y1mlMc 2 days ago