Kemper County coach Chris Jones didn’t have a good taste in his mouth after Aberdeen’s last minute, Division 4-3A win earlier in the season. His Wildcats returned the favor on Friday night, ending the Bulldogs’ season with a 52-14 win in the third round of the Class 3A playoffs. “It’s been on our minds since […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
ABERDEEN – Aberdeen came out with guns blazing. Visiting Kemper County extinguished the fire in a hurry. Kemper (11-3) overcame a 14-0 Aberdeen start to score 52 unanswered points and upset the Bulldogs 52-14 to advance to the Class 3A North finals against Charleston next week. “The defense just wasn’t there,” Aberdeen coach Mark Bray […]
NETTLETON – Nettleton came into Tuesday night’s contest against with a pair of close losses to open their basketball season. The Tigers got in the win column easily, cruising to an 84-48 win over the Panthers. “We showed tonight that we can definitely score. We’re still working out the kinks on defense,” Nettleton boys’ coach […]
Kemper County (10-3) at Aberdeen (10-3) Last week: Aberdeen 66, North Pontotoc 30; Kemper County 42, Cleveland East Side 6…Rematch of a regular season Division 4-3A meeting…Aberdeen quarterback Josh Williams was 16 of 20 passing for 451 yards and 4 TDs in the win over North Pontotoc…Juniors Jerrick Orr, Tramonte Prather and B.J. Williams had […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal HATLEY – It took Hamilton more than half of the basketball game to start playing as a team and wrestle the lead away from the Hatley Tigers on Friday night. Once they got ahead, the Lions they managed to hold off the Tigers for a down-to-the-wire win in […]
NEW HOPE – Aberdeen officially opened up its 2014-2015 basketball season on Thursday night, grabbing a 68-63 win on the road at New Hope. New Aberdeen head coach Jaworski Rankin credited a couple of strengths, including making 75 percent of their free throws on Thursday, with helping the Bulldogs gain the win. “We put a […]
ECRU – Aberdeen’s offense didn’t let freezing temperatures slow it down against North Pontotoc on Friday night. The Bulldogs put up a season-high in points in their 66-30 win in the second round of the Class 3A playoffs to advance to host Kemper County next week. “We just took advantage of what they were doing. […]
Smithville’s first round matchup was a tough one on Friday night as the Seminoles were shut out 39-0 on the road at Shaw. Five turnovers harmed the Noles as Shaw scored off the first two and led 19-0 at the half. “It’s something we talked about last week,” Smithville coach Chad Collums said. “We knew […]
AMORY – Amory posted up its first shutout in boys’ soccer of the season, improving its record to 1-1 with a 2-0 win over Oxford on Tuesday night. The Panthers put up the lead in the first half and held on with a strong defensive effort in the second half. “The defense played really well […]
- Access Family Health Clinic awarded $250,000 grant November 20, 2014
- Veterans reconnect nearly 47 years after life-saving rescue November 25, 2014
- French town adopts grave of fallen Aberdeen WWII soldier November 25, 2014
- Student juried Aat competition currently on display at ICC November 25, 2014
- Tigers blast Panthers for first win of season November 25, 2014
- Amory enters purchase agreement for port acreage November 27, 2014
- Randle urges caution while holiday shopping November 27, 2014
- Save the date; it’s time for a trip down memory lane November 27, 2014
- Earlier loss motivation for Wildcats November 26, 2014
- Quick start doesn’t pay off for Bulldogs November 26, 2014
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
- D. K.: Anyone knows that the more evil of the two is hard...
- Amory enters purchase agreement for port acreage http://t.co/zTnacsSEAY 7 mins ago
- Randle urges caution while holiday shopping http://t.co/CjpNfr8f1l 7 mins ago
- Save the date; it’s time for a trip down memory lane http://t.co/dizocE0k0W 1 min ago
- Missing Monroe County man located http://t.co/Oj9a1j4XCH 17 hours ago
- Authorities continue search for missing man http://t.co/goBPPtSPMS 21 hours ago