New Hope (0-0) at Aberdeen (1-0) Last week: Aberdeen 42, Shannon 19; New Hope off…Aberdeen QB Josh Williams accounted for five total TDs in the season opener, completing 9 of 12 passing for 181 yards and three scores and another 78 yards and 2 TDs on the ground…B.J. Williams was his leading receiver with two […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By David Wheeler Special to the Journal NETTLETON – The heat took its toll. There were certainly first-game mistakes. But the Nettleton Tigers and Baldwyn Bearcats opened their 2014 season with an entertaining 48 minutes of high school football Friday, with Baldwyn scoring the winning touchdown late for a 28-25 victory. “It was all about […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal SHANNON – The Aberdeen Bulldogs’ high octane offense got revenge for last year’s season-opening loss to Shannon when they put 42 points on the board in their victory over the Red Raiders on the road Friday night. Senior QB Josh Williams accounted for five touchdowns, completing 9 of […]
Amory’s defense turned in another stellar performance on Friday night, allowing just five first downs and no touchdowns in the Panthers’ 23-7 season-opening win at Independence. The game stayed locked in a scoreless tie until after halftime. Amory coach Ben Ashley said he didn’t feel like his team had the energy it needed in the […]
Smithville senior Neil Knight is making the adjustment from moving from wide receiver to quarterback this season for the defending Class 1A North champs. Knight showed on Friday he’s already finding success in the role, scoring both Smithville touchdowns in a 13-2 win over Belmont. Knight had a 4-yard scoring run in the third quarter […]
Hatley saw the improvement its football team has made in the last year in Friday’s season-opener against South Pontotoc. They also saw a heartbreaker as South Pontotoc’s Clay Hood hauled in the game-winning 44-yard touchdown as the clock expired in a 27-22 Hatley loss on Friday night. “It was a little screen pass, and we […]
POTTS CAMP – Hamilton running back Keshon Heard showed he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with this season. The junior rushed for 191 yards and three touchdowns in Hamilton’s 43-27 season-opening win over Potts Camp, but it was also a balanced offensive attack for the Lions. Quarterback Byron Butler passed for 137 […]
AMORY – Smithville opened up its slow-pitch softball season on Saturday at the Amory Classic with a pair of dominating wins. “We hit the ball pretty hard today and played pretty good defense. I think that’s all we can ask for. We’re just working hard and trying to get better all the time,” Smithville coach […]
HAMILTON – If there was ever a doubt, Nettleton showed on Saturday that it’s going to be a force to be reckoned with again in Class 3A slow-pitch softball. The defending North champs scored a combined 24 runs in two games, shutting out Caledonia 11-0 and beating defending 1A champion Hamilton 13-2 in the final […]
- Monroe football scores: Week 1 August 23, 2014
- Presley Sets Public Hearing Regarding Town of Smithville Water Rates August 27, 2014
- Boatright joins Amory clinic August 27, 2014
- Law enforcement officers respond to Highway 6 standoff August 27, 2014
- Highway 6 standoff ends with capture of two subjects August 27, 2014
- Monroe football previews: Week 2 August 29, 2014
- Baldwyn tops Nettleton August 29, 2014
- Bulldogs light up scoreboard in Shannon August 29, 2014
- Panthers surge in second half at Independence August 29, 2014
- ICC schedules CPR/AED class August 29, 2014
- Doug Cuthbert: You are correct I am not registered to vote here. ...
- weedeater: Great job for Amory's new mayor! Shoot down the ...
- Frank James: How in the hell was he not charged with intent to ...
- Fred G Sanford: Get Greg Beason to sell some of the scrap junk he ...
- MeriemDZ: Fourteen years ago I walked up on the porch of the...
- Monroe football previews: Week 2 http://t.co/ciQGIRF3PK 8 hours ago
- ICC schedules CPR/AED class http://t.co/IavpLTNBdU 9 hours ago
- Empowerment Mississippi forum set for Sept. 4 http://t.co/rXdGPEyhW8 15 hours ago
- At the Movies: Aug. 27, 2014 http://t.co/wWaQwfaKMG 19 hours ago
- Subjects from standoff could face multiple charges http://t.co/Jk4RY2G2HL 1 day ago