August is National Catfish Month but for Monroe Countians, any month is catfish month. While Southerners love their catfish fried, you can always branch out and try catfish prepared a different way. Although pond acreage in the state is down from 44,700 acres in 2014 to 41,000 acres in 2015, catfish farming is an important […]
HATLEY – The Amory Lady Panthers remained undefeated and successfully defended their Monroe County tournament title on Saturday. Amory (6-0) beat Hatley 12-0 in its final game of the day, blasted six home runs in a 22-4 route of Smithville and pulled out a 5-4 extra innings win over Hamilton. “We showed up and played […]
There was once a time when the last week of August was when students in the 1980s and 1990s would’ve started a new school year. Even before that, school bells wouldn’t have rung until the day after Labor Day before the late 1970s. I lived for the better part of two years in a college […]
Aberdeen 32, New Hope 27 Amory 34, Saltillo 29 East Union 30, Hamilton 26 Shannon 34, Nettleton 13 Smithville 28, Hatley 14
Aberdeen (0-1) at New Hope (0-1) Last week: Corinth 21, Aberdeen 20; Louisville 20, New Hope 3…Quarterback Tramonte Prather and wide receiver Jerrick Orr hooked up for a pair of touchdowns against Corinth in the loss, including one with 24 seconds to go…The Bulldogs trailed 21-6 before having a shot to win in the closing […]
Mental illness affects young and old not only in Monroe County, but in rural counties across the nation. The people of Monroe County are fortunate to have not just one, but two choices for mental health care. One hidden gem addressing mental health issues in Monroe County is Pioneer Community Hospital of Aberdeen, which has […]
AMORY – In addition to mental health services, Lifecore Health Group also offers medical care. Its medical mobile unit comes to Amory every Thursday. Lifecore accepts all types of insurance and if someone does not have insurance, there is a sliding fee based on income. Medical care is also available Monday through Friday at the […]
The Smithville Seminoles opened their season on Friday night in come from behind fashion. Down 26-14 in the closing minutes of the third quarter, the Noles rallied to score 21 unanswered points for a 35-26 season-opening win. “It was looking pretty bleak there for a little while,” Smithville coach Chad Collums said. “Our boys never […]
BY BRANDON SPECK Daily Journal ABERDEEN – Aberdeen lost its season-opener, but may have found something in the process. The Bulldogs, who fell from No. 1 to No. 3 in the Daily Journal’s small school rankings, lost 21-20 to No. 2 large school Corinth. As the schedule doesn’t let up this week at New Hope, […]
- Special dove hunting opportunities for youth on management areas August 23, 2015
- Tigers roar for season-opening win August 26, 2015
- City employee comp time a talking point for Aberdeen aldermen August 27, 2015
- Supervisors overrule Monroe Gas Storage tax assessment objection August 27, 2015
- DHS representative approaches Amory aldermen with foster home plea August 27, 2015
- Celebrate National Catfish Month with some new catfish recipes August 30, 2015
- Lady Panthers successful in defending Monroe County tourney title August 29, 2015
- I’ll tell you just how good it can be August 29, 2015
- Monroe football scores: Week 2 August 28, 2015
- Monroe football previews: Week 2 August 28, 2015
- Michael: That's why we need better sidewalks and crosswalk...
- Body of missing Bartlett fisherman found - Bartlett ExpressBartlett Express: […] an earlier story about the search effort...
- Helen Whitten: How would itawamba county go about getting these r...
- debbie jones: Why in the world is the bond so low? Is $5000 all ...
- Linda: These folks were operating in Nashville several ye...
Monroe County, MS
City of Aberdeen
City of Amory
Monroe County Chamber of Commerce
Tombigbee Regional Library
Social Security Disability Attorney
Auto Accidents Attorney
Mayfield Law Firm
Thames Family Dentistry