Smithville’s first round matchup was a tough one on Friday night as the Seminoles were shut out 39-0 on the road at Shaw. Five turnovers harmed the Noles as Shaw scored off the first two and led 19-0 at the half. “It’s something we talked about last week,” Smithville coach Chad Collums said. “We knew […]
ABERDEEN – The board of aldermen Tuesday approved Aberdeen Lake to be the host site for the 2015 Central Division Championship for The Bass Federation May 31-June 5. The tournament will bring in as many as 120 anglers from eight states and attract national television coverage. Additionally, Aberdeen Lake will host the Mississippi Bass Federation’s […]
ABERDEEN – Shortly after the Aberdeen School District entered into conservatorship, the Mississippi Department of Education’s Commission on School Accreditation put the district on probation due to violations of 31 of the state’s 37 education standards. Thanks to improvements made while under state control, the ASD has regained its accreditation. ASD Conservator Mac Curlee shared […]
For the Monroe Journal Are you trying to quit smoking to live a healthier life, be there for your family or cut down on spending? There are many reasons to quit smoking, and everyone has a reason that is important to them. Every day, as you are trying to quit, remind yourself of this reason […]
AMORY – Approximately 400 people attended this year’s salute to veterans sponsored by Community Bank, which was held at the Amory National Guard Armory. The event has been held for more than 25 years. “Community Bank is honored to be able to sponsor this event every year. What began over 25 years ago with a […]
AMORY – Amory posted up its first shutout in boys’ soccer of the season, improving its record to 1-1 with a 2-0 win over Oxford on Tuesday night. The Panthers put up the lead in the first half and held on with a strong defensive effort in the second half. “The defense played really well […]
According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, bond was set Tuesday by Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes for four subjects recently nabbed on drug charges. Bond for Jamie Leigh Parker, Crystal Adair Bosch and Kenneth Adair, who were all charged with possession of ICE, was set at $25,000. Bond for Bengie Edwards, who […]
For the Monroe Journal JACKSON – For Mississippi’s 2014–2015 hunting season, the first white-tailed deer gun season opens Nov. 22 and closes Dec. 1. Hunting with dogs is allowed during this season. Legal deer include legal bucks and antlerless deer on private lands and only legal bucks on open public lands. Hunters are urged to […]
AMORY – Sometime on the night of Sept. 6 and during the early morning hours of Sept. 7, several acts of vandalism occurred in the Thomas Street and Dalrymple Street areas. According to the Amory Police Report that week, six cases of malicious mischief were reported. According to the Amory Police Department, cars, houses, street signs […]
For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Joe Lee, a graduate of Mississippi State University and Starkville High School will sign copies of his new suspense novel, “Directors Cut,” at Evans Memorial Library Nov. 19 at noon. “‘Directors Cut’” is the fifth volume of my Oakdale suspense series that began with ‘Judgment Day,’ said Lee, who […]
ABERDEEN – The City of Aberdeen Community Potluck will offer an early opportunity for the community to share a meal and give thanks ahead of Thanksgiving. “We look forward to many of the citizens of Aberdeen to bring a dish and enjoy the fellowship of the Thanksgiving holiday,” said co-organizer Sara Nerren. Turkey, ham, dressing, […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office’s Narcotics Unit arrested Benjie Edwards, 53, of Smithville Nov. 15. Edwards was arrested at a residence on Four Mile Road after an ongoing investigation. Edwards is charged with possession of crack cocaine with intent and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Bond has not been set and Edwards […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office requests assistance of the public in locating a missing person from our area. Fifty-four-year-old George “Gregory” Mitchell is 5’6″ and weighs 179 pounds. Mitchell drives a 2000 Chevrolet S10 truck navy blue in color with a Monroe County license plate. He was last seen on Hatley-Detroit Road after 5 p.m. […]
The Amory Police Department arrested James Stuart Abney IV, 30, of Aberdeen for the felony charge of possession of a controlled substance (hydrocodone). He was also charged with the misdemeanors of DUI, first offense, and possession of beer. Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes set bond at $25,000. Abney is out on bond.
NETTLETON – The section of Highway 6 approximately 10 miles south of State Route 178 between Nettleton and Plantersville that was closed to repair a roadway slide will be reopened to traffic on Monday.
- Amory Culinary Arts fundraiser lifeline for the holidays November 16, 2014
- Turnovers doom Noles in first round November 19, 2014
- Aberdeen man charged with child molestation November 19, 2014
- Bulldogs blast Vikings, host Kemper next November 19, 2014
- Access Family Health Clinic awarded $250,000 grant November 20, 2014
- Fall Festival chili winners share recipes November 23, 2014
- Mississippi’s duck season opens Nov. 27 November 22, 2014
- Area students work in Ole Miss sports medicine November 22, 2014
- Auxiliary Unit 26 hosts annual balloon release November 22, 2014
- Monroe football preview: Third round November 21, 2014
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
- D. K.: Anyone knows that the more evil of the two is hard...
- Fall Festival chili winners share recipes http://t.co/9AFpM86hg6 52 mins ago
- Okolona man charged with grand theft of an automobile http://t.co/S5TeJWvHsZ 2 days ago
- Christmas parades help usher in holiday spirit http://t.co/MHbLHnO69R 2 days ago
- AHS gains, more public involvement among P16 talking points http://t.co/RPOVyLVqqg 2 days ago
- Aberdeen man charged with child molestation http://t.co/39M4ZoQJQE 4 days ago