By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HOOVER, Ala. – Channing Ward was always the best player on the field at Aberdeen High School. One of the jewels of Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze’s first recruiting class at defensive end, he is still finding his place with the Rebels. Freeze said Thursday from SEC Media Days it […]
Once again this year volunteers from across the county will be rallying to collect school supplies for students. Our own We Care For Kids Communitywide School Supply Drive will kick off this weekend. This will be the third year that the Monroe Journal has partnered with WAFM FM-95.7 to collect and deliver school supplies to […]
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Visitors Bureau will close out its summer outdoor movie series Thursday with the 1982 classic film, ‘E.T.,’ at dark. The Steven Spielberg science fiction film centers on a lonely boy’s friendship with an extraterrestrial stranded on Earth. “It’s an all time favorite family movie. There are plenty of people now whose […]
AMORY – Petitions from the Let’s Grow Amory movement calling for a vote on whether or not to permit the sale of alcohol within the city were turned in to Amory City Clerk Lee Barnett July 9 and, according to Let’s Grow member Doug Cuthbert, the needed numbers are there. “After our last push, we […]
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested William Rashad Wilson, 26, of Houston July 22 on the charge of livestock theft. Wilson is accused of stealing cattle from a farm on Camargo Road earlier this month. Bond has not been set and Wilson is currently being housed at Monroe County Detention Center.
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – Amory’s Old Armory Reborn Committee (O.A.R.) has received a $3,000 grant to improve acoustics in the recently renovated building. The grant is part of the Appalachian Community Learning Project, which is a six month community development program coordinated by the Rensselaerville Institute based in New York and Mississippi State […]
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Police Department will host an eight-hour training session Aug. 5 in search and seizure laws, investigating abuse and neglect in health care facilities and DUI laws, all provided by the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office. The course is geared to law enforcement, but dispatchers, judges, prosecutors, court clerks and other city/county/state/state personnel […]
ABERDEEN – As part of the July agenda for the Aberdeen School District, Conservator Mac Curlee approved the hires of Tara Fields for Belle Elementary School, Hannah Halford for Aberdeen High School and Chris Seay as a human resource officer. He also approved the resignations of Shivers Middle School teachers Patricia Burton, Andrea Garth and […]
ABERDEEN – Online voting for Life on the Water Magazine’s Best Festival on the Water 2014 Award proved smaller festivals can make waves. As a write-in, the Bukka White Festival beat out 22 named contenders, including New Orleans’ JazzFest and Gulf Shores, Alabama’s Hangout Festival, two of the nation’s bigger music festivals. Acts like Bruce […]
AMORY – First Friends Respite Center will host its annual fundraiser Sept. 20 at Frisco Park with Carla Glasgow serving as honorary chairperson. The event will begin with a 5K walk at 9:30 a.m. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. Entertainment, featuring Brad Blalock, begins at 10:30 a.m. There will also be a balloon release, concessions […]
SMITHVILLE – Amanda Lay grew up cooking with her mom and dad. “My family always cooked country vegetables such as fried squash and okra. My father liked to cook cakes and make homemade ice cream,” Lay said. Lay said she likes to cook interesting recipes and things that are fun to do. “I get most […]
AMORY – Lakeside Baptist Church in Amory and pastor, Ray Carroll, were recently honored to have a pastor friend of Carroll’s from India visit in the United States and Amory. Carroll met Pastor Naveen Chithai Bashpa and his wife, Sunitha, of Hyde Rahab, India, in 2005 when he spent several weeks working in India with […]
Growing your own food, especially tomatoes, is a very rewarding experience. It does not come without the usual headaches, however. Producing a perfect red tomato is not as easy as many people think. Here are a few problems for you to be on the look out for while growing tomatoes this summer. Blossom-end rot is […]
For the Monroe Journal JACKSON – With the official start of summer, white-tailed deer fawns begin to appear in Mississippi. The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks (MDWFP) wants to remind people to leave fawns alone. Many Mississippians will be lucky enough to come across a newborn fawn this summer. However, well-meaning people think […]
ABERDEEN – Roy E. Hazzle recently entered the ranks of former names in the NFL and other accomplished athletes from his Alma mater Mississippi Valley State University. Before making his mark as a coach on Aberdeen High School’s basketball program and student body for three decades, Hazzle played baseball for MVSU from 1974-1977 under the […]
- Pro-alcohol group turns in needed number of signatures July 23, 2014
- Alley access subject of neighborhood quarrel July 24, 2014
- The freedom to speak and the freedom to speak freely July 24, 2014
- APD host agency for attorney general training session July 22, 2014
- Documenting your family’s medical history benefits current and future generations July 26, 2014
- Mississippi’s early migratory game bird seasons announced July 29, 2014
- W student accepted into Rural Physicians Scholarship Program July 29, 2014
- Depot project calls for volunteers with project expertise July 29, 2014
- Your neighbor: Mary Myers July 28, 2014
- Gilmore Hospital offers patients and community better food options July 27, 2014
- Michael Hontz: Wow this a joke. This paper cares nothing about p...
- Meia: Hi ...
- Cletus Snow: #1, my name isn't John, Cletus or Snow. #2, I nev...
- Guest: 1st of all, my name is "John"... Nor is it reall...
- Jason: Ya know i grew up in Amory and more than half of t...
- Mississippi’s early migratory game bird seasons announced http://t.co/FU4XfV4tbm 4 hours ago
- W student accepted into Rural Physicians Scholarship Program http://t.co/MezT3Uae50 5 hours ago
- Depot project calls for volunteers with project expertise http://t.co/J8357h1z0d 5 hours ago
- Your neighbor: Mary Myers http://t.co/MSptogVu2s 1 day ago
- Gilmore Hospital offers patients and community better food options http://t.co/8vWXV1f8AB 2 days ago