ABERDEEN – Jeremy Martin of the Secretary of State’s office made his third recent appearance in the county Monday to talk about the implementation of Voter ID. The June 3 election will be the first in the state’s history that will require one of the acceptable means of identification at the polls and less than […]
By JB Clark/Daily Journal ABERDEEN – Attorneys for David Parvin and for the state of Mississippi agreed on many points in their opening statements Wednesday: David Parvin is a gun safety advocate, the trigger of his shotgun can’t pull itself, he shot and killed his wife, and the Oct. 15, 2007, shooting was a tragedy. […]
ABERDEEN – As 0’s and 1’s code the significant digits of technology, Shivers Middle School’s 1:1 initiative is turning B’s into A’s by putting the power of iPads into the hands of its students. “It puts learning in the kids’ hands. I haven’t given them the information, they give me the information. If they’re having […]
AMORY – As March begins, so does the beginning of the sometimes more volatile tornado season of the year, which stretches into May. Volunteer firefighters from multiple departments comprised the bulk of the attendance Feb. 27 for a storm spotters class conducted by the National Weather Service at the Monroe County Government Complex. According to […]
BIGGERSVILLE – Ingomar rode another fast start to a dominating 71-26 win over Smithville on Thursday night in the boys’ Class 1A North tournament. The Falcons (26-10) held Smithville to just seven half points on their way to being just a win away from the state tournament. “Early on, they couldn’t miss a shot and […]
For the Monroe Journal BOONEVILLE – Nettleton scored the first eight points in their first game of the Class 3A girls’ North state tournament but host Booneville took control from there for the 70-42 win on Thursday night. The loss sent the Lady Tigers home two games shy of making the state championship tournament. Jabria […]
AMORY – Amongst recalling tales of Sam Phillips, Sun Records, Carl Perkins and Cadillacs, W.S. “Fluke” Holland and his band added to a night of nostalgia Saturday as upwards of 300 people caught the first glimpse of a renaissance era to come for the Old National Guard Armory. The former drummer for Johnny Cash and […]
The CodeRED alert system, used to send critical information from tornado warnings to Amber Alerts to Monroe County residents, is a free service provided through Three Rivers Planning and Development District by the Monroe County Board of Supervisors. “CodeRED is an emergency notification system that includes weather alerts based on warnings by the National Weather […]
Bond was set at $300,000 Tuesday for 46-year-old Christopher Lee Thompson by Monroe County Justice Court Judge Adrian Haynes, according to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office. Thompson is accused of beating Tommy Harlow, 50, of Amory to death at Harlow’s sister’s residence in Hamilton. Harlow died sometime after midnight Sunday. Thompson has been charged with […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Paraphrasing an old adage, “If you can’t run with the Bulldogs, stay on the porch.” The Aberdeen Bulldogs put the Humphreys County Cowboys on the porch early and kept them there in their 106-41 blowout win in the opening round of the Class 3A North State […]
SMITHVILLE – Smithville has made a habit of come-from-behind wins in the 2014 postseason. The Seminoles overcame a 13-point halftime deficit to down Shelby Broad Street 51-44 in the first round of the Class 1A boys’ North state tournament. “That’s what we’ve been doing lately. I told them at halftime that I didn’t think the […]
Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley announced Tuesday that the Commission-ordered fines totaling $40,000 against two companies for violations of Mississippi’s No-Call law. Higher Impact, Inc, out of Phoenix, Arizona, was fined $15,000, while Mississippi company Diverse Solutions, LLC, was fined $25,000. Neither company registered as telephone solicitors with the State of Mississippi, yet both conducted […]
HAMILTON - Monroe County Sheriff’s Department arrested Brittany Elizabeth Breland, 28, of Hamilton, MS on Monday. Breland is charged with Grand Larceny. The arrest came after an ongoing investigation from a theft that occurred on Shady Oaks Road in Monroe County where approximately $1488.00 was taken and jewelry. The jewelry has been recovered. Breland is currently […]
AMORY – The results are in! Monroe Countians have voted on who makes the best burger in the county and the winner is Bill’s Hamburgers. “I think what makes our burgers so great is that we grind our meat fresh everyday,” said grillmaster James Wilkerson. Founded in 1929, the folks at Bill’s Hamburgers pride themselves […]
ABERDEEN – The South Monroe County Community Fund is currently accepting applications for its annual grant program. The recipients will be named during a ceremony in June. “We have a little more money than we’ve had in the past. We’ll still take grant applications, but we may set aside money for a special teachers award,” […]
Reader Participation Poll
- New Parvin murder trial begins March 3, 2014
- Civil suit filed against former ALC teacher March 6, 2014
- State presents its case in Parvin trial March 6, 2014
- From the Upper East Side: Trojans go downtown late to end Dogs’ season March 6, 2014
- Basketball season comes to a close with Bulldogs a point away from Jackson March 6, 2014
- Amory tops Hatley, Smithville at classic March 9, 2014
- Tubb enjoys cooking and second career March 9, 2014
- Planning meeting held for community garden March 9, 2014
- Lady Lions roll out to a 2-0 start at classic March 8, 2014
- Flower Lovers educated on pollination March 8, 2014
- ForAmory\'sGrowth: All that has been said is that the voters need to ...
- ForAmory\'sGrowth: I want to support you! I did check the records of...
- Doug Cuthbert: My son Josh Cuthbert and I own property in Amory a...
- itspersonal: Since the end of the conflict in 1865 we in the So...
- itspersonal: The records of Amory City Clerk Lee Barnett show t...
- Tubb enjoys cooking and second career http://t.co/CzMuICDzUh 8 hours ago
- Planning meeting held for community garden http://t.co/fSB7DXh33v 8 hours ago
- Flower Lovers educated on pollination http://t.co/3TYkollLie 1 day ago
- Renasant Bank celebrates 110 years of service http://t.co/0X1SBsKhEE 1 day ago
- Parvin defense puts focus on accidental discharge http://t.co/2csKg61IZh 2 days ago