AMORY – Aside from a national award for Volunteer Group of the Year from the National Health Care Association, Golden Living Center can also boast two state award winners helping at the facility. The Mississippi Health Care Association has recognized Laura McCain as the 2014 Young Adult Volunteer of the Year and Mary Bradshaw as […]
AMORY – Amory High School graduate Ben Watson and AHS sophomore Staci Fox recently competed with the Mississippi Lions Band at International Lions Convention in Toronto, Canada. This year was Watson’s third year and Fox’s first year. The pair had tryout auditions and a certain number of participants skilled in playing each instrument were selected. […]
AMORY – Following in her sister’s footsteps, Sarah Kate Coleman will soon finish up an eight-month long internship at the ‘Happiest Place on Earth’ – Walt Disney World. Coleman was a junior public relations major at Mississippi State University when she underwent the recruitment process, which consists of two online interviews followed by a phone […]
AMORY – The biggest change that students in school districts nationwide will see in their breakfast and lunch will be a reduction in sodium. “It’s not as bad as you would think. The manufacturers of our food supplies have come on board and are working in making the sodium content better. I have been working […]
AMORY – The Monroe County Board of Education heard Michael Hughey of the Mississippi Forestry Commission Aug. 4 explain about the 2015 plans for 16th section properties, which include thinning, reforesting, boundary line maintenance and timber sale. Alan Leach of Smith, Shellnut and Wilson in Madison also gave a presentation on 16th section principal investments. […]
AMORY – Summertime learning took a turn for the better when Monroe County children were invited to attend the Amory Regional Museum’s Discovery Youth Day Camp last week. During the three day camp, children were able to allow their creative sides to take over with the creation of several crafts, along with the chances to […]
ABERDEEN – According to Aberdeen Police Chief Henry Randle, two juveniles have been charged with strong armed robbery stemming from an Aug. 2 incident. The two allegedly held a man at gunpoint at the Highway 25 car wash and demanded money. The two were charged as adults and have since been released after bond was […]
HAMILTON- Monroe County Sheriff’s Department Narcotics Unit arrested Eugene O. Miller, 48, of Hamilton, MS on Friday. The arrest was the result of an ongoing investigation by the Narcotics Unit. Miller is charged with Manufacturing Marijuana and Possession of a Schedule 2 Narcotic. Bond has not been set. Miller is currently being housed at Monroe County […]
AMORY – The Exxon Express #32 on Highland Drive received a “C” rating from the Mississippi State Department of Health during an inspection on July 31, but not due to unsanitary conditions. The store received a non-compliance rating due to not having a certified manager. A store employee, who did not want to be named, […]
ABERDEEN – When asked by Aberdeen City Attorney Dudley Williams how vital an increase in rural water rates is for 847 customers served by the Aberdeen Water Department is, department head Ed White summed it up simply. “You can’t survive without water,” White said. White stated politics as the obvious cause of a nearly $200,000 […]
By CAROLYN PARSON/For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Mayor Cecil Belle presented aldermen a proposal Aug. 5 to provide downtown with free Wi-Fi Internet at a one-time cost of $6,850 for installation. Belle noted that there are grants available to pay the installation. “Merchants and courts would benefit from providing this service as well as […]
AMORY – In a follow up to an alley dispute among neighbors, the board has determined that the city has constructively abandoned the alley. “If the board finds that the city has not used the alley in over 10 years, that constitutes abandonment and the property goes to the adjoining landowners,” said City Attorney John […]
AMORY – The Amory Police Department and North Mississippi Narcotics officers served a search warrant at the residence of Morris Edward Hannah,31, of Amory on Aug. 13 after an investigation lasting several months. Officers seized a small amount of cocaine and marijuana as well as drug paraphernalia, including paraphernalia used in transfer or sale of drugs. […]
HAMILTON – A 56-year-old man died Thursday morning after an accident at Tronox. George Rice, 56, of Brooksville was pronounced dead at the scene by Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley. The accident occurred at about 6:40 a.m. and Rice’s body was recovered at approximately 9 a.m. The body was later transported to the State Medical […]
ABERDEEN – GE announced last week that Aberdeen will be the second city in the state to implement its Solutions as a Service (SaaS) technology, a monitoring system that acts as an automated meter reading system that also allows customers to view their utility usage in real time. “It’s going to help us because it […]
- Amory Museum begins “Save the Cabin” campaign August 18, 2014
- MCSO arrests Aberdeen man on possession charge August 18, 2014
- City abandons alley way in neighborhood dispute August 15, 2014
- Amory man arrested for possession of marijuana August 18, 2014
- Local patient information believed to have been obtained by Chinese hackers August 18, 2014
- Make-A-Wish Foundation grants Disney trip to Hatley teen August 20, 2014
- Deadlines approach for ICC fall semester August 20, 2014
- Spreitler takes seat on State Board of Education August 20, 2014
- MDOT mandates force mobile home transports away from Highway 8 August 20, 2014
- Cruisin’ Flashback event a throwback to when Amory thrived August 20, 2014
- Frank James: How in the hell was he not charged with intent to ...
- Fred G Sanford: Get Greg Beason to sell some of the scrap junk he ...
- MeriemDZ: Fourteen years ago I walked up on the porch of the...
- Tired of Giving: What happened to all of the money from the sale of...
- Poster: How small town can you get? Did anyone really ex...
- Make-A-Wish Foundation grants Disney trip to Hatley teen http://t.co/emAnQoHils 23 mins ago
- Deadlines approach for ICC fall semester http://t.co/AWmCoWz7wx 3 hours ago
- Spreitler takes seat on State Board of Education http://t.co/VH1b7kxhCU 9 hours ago
- MDOT mandates force mobile home transports away from Highway 8 http://t.co/PlVRScQ4Lr 9 hours ago
- Cruisin’ Flashback event a throwback to when Amory thrived http://t.co/TOPTGb5KWC 9 hours ago