For the Monroe Journal The students and staff at the Monroe County Career Technical Center held their annual fall festival on Sept. 30 Many types of home and yard decor, metal art and a grill were among the items made by the students. The Culinary Arts students prepared refreshments and the Allied Health students provided […]
Louisville (4-4, 2-0 Division 4-3A) at Aberdeen (6-2, 2-0 Division 4-3A) Last week: Aberdeen 40, Kemper County 36; Louisville 52, South Pontotoc 0…QB Josh Williams’ 45-yard TD run with 5:52 to go lifted the Bulldogs over Kemper County last week…Williams also had an 11-yard scoring run and caught Parish Cratic for a 14-yard score…Louisville is […]
AMORY – Amory got revenge on the team that put them out of last year’s playoffs in a big way, blasting Pontotoc 36-0 to even up their Division 1-4A record. “We talked a lot this week about the fact that Pontotoc broke our hearts last year,” Amory coach Ben Ashley said. “They were definitely reminded […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal NETTLETON – Watching the visitors warm up before the game, Nettleton injured senior quarterback Jordan Smith said. “They don’t have a lot of players, but the ones they have are big and athletic.” The bigger, more athletic Winona Tigers took advantage of Nettleton mistakes to jump out to […]
By Melissa Meador and Brandon Speck Monroe Journal Aberdeen passed the first of two huge tests on Friday night with a 40-36 win at Kemper County. The Journal’s No. 1 medium school hosts Louisville this week. Thanks to Josh Williams’ 45-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter, the Bulldogs won the back-and-forth affair to improve […]
NETTLETON - Monroe County Sheriff’s Department Narcotics Unit arrested Emory Pickle, 36, of Nettleton on Thursday. Pickle is charged with Possession of ICE. Bond has not been set a the time of this release. Pickle is currently being housed at Monroe County Detention Center.
There’s something in the water. That’s what they say. Where the waters of the Mississippi River meet the Delta soil is where sounds started to permeate before eventually being pressed on vinyl in the 1920s for the rest of the world to hear. About an 800-mile drive away from the poverty that influenced the blues, […]
ABERDEEN – In the years Aberdeen capitalized on its blues heritage, it has added a permanent blues marker, a colorful downtown mural and the guarantee that for that one weekend in October, the air will be filled with the sounds of blues music. That one weekend kicks off Friday at Blue Bluff with two days […]
Hamilton running back Keshon Heard took an already stellar season to another level on Friday night. The junior piled up 320 yards on 11 carries and found the endzone four times in the Lions’ 36-22 win over Thrasher on Friday night. “When we needed something big to happen on Friday night, we put the ball […]
Turnovers plagued Hatley on their Friday road trip to obvious Division 1-2A favorite Baldwyn. The Tigers turned the ball over three times in the first half with the Bearcats taking advantage of all three on their way to a 57-0 win. “You can’t turn the ball over three times in the first half against a […]
Smithville was shut out on the road on Friday night, falling 33-0 in a weather-shortened game to Division 1-1A favorite Falkner. “We were a little outmatched athletically, and between the long trip over there and the weather, it was a bad recipe,” Smithville coach Chad Collums said. “On top of all that, we didn’t play […]
HAMILTON – County slow-pitch softball rivals Hamilton and Hatley fought to the end on Thursday night. Hamilton overcame an 8-4 deficit midway through the game for a 9-8 walkoff in the bottom of the seventh. Lacey Holley’s RBI single scored Hallie Dobbs for the win. “We came through with the big hit at the end […]
HAMILTON – By summing up the Hydrate Campus Tour in a few descriptive words, co-founder and director Tim Beck confidently used, “Powerful, impactful and high energy” to capture the feel. Since the motivational assembly started as a 2007 pilot program at an inner-city Alabama school, the Hydrate Campus Tour has garnered rave reviews from educators […]
ABERDEEN – Talks regarding an interlocal agreement with the Monroe County Board of Supervisors placing the Matubby Creek bridge on a list for federal bridge repair funding for replacement stretched as the main topic over two governmental meetings last week. “I’m just trying to get things done on this side of the county. We’re at […]
- Nettleton woman arrested for Possession of Ice October 17, 2014
- Formerly bullied teen has ‘The Voice’ to gain praise in show’s auditions October 16, 2014
- School board honors fallen member October 19, 2014
- Wall believes in quality and healthy food October 19, 2014
- Program serves underserved, underinsured candidates October 20, 2014
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education October 22, 2014
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings October 22, 2014
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. October 22, 2014
- Kennedy, Edgeworth power Smithville in first round win October 21, 2014
- Jones gets revenge for Myrtle’s walks October 21, 2014
- kyle ruff: I miss you...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education http://t.co/eiI59nPUnI 19 hours ago
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings http://t.co/5vwgaIHpEW 19 hours ago
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. http://t.co/faPKpA9eon 19 hours ago
- ICC to present Homecoming Court Saturday http://t.co/dnqnXXbzVB 2 days ago
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman http://t.co/p4M3Y1mlMc 2 days ago