SMITHVILLE –A public hearing regarding the Town of Smithville’s plan for a proposed rate increase for water service will be held at 6 p.m. today, Tuesday, Sept. 16, at 6 p.m. at Smithville Town Hall, located at 63443 Highway 25 North, Smithville, MS 38870. Customers affected by the proposed rate increase will be allowed to […]
For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Evans Memorial Library will be the site for the September booklunch on Sept. 17 at noon. Special guest will be Ashton Lee, who will talk about his Cherry Cola Book Club series. Set in Cherico, Mississippi, this series includes ‘The Cherry Cola Book Club’ and ‘The Wedding Circle.’ A […]
AMORY – Amory students from the middle and high schools climbed aboard a bus Sept. 4 to get a glimpse of their future based on the choices they make now. The Choice Bus, half school bus and half prison cell, aims to demonstrate the impact of education through an interactive presentation showing the relevance of […]
AMORY – The Amory High School Baseball Booster Club will host its inaugural glow ball tournament Sept. 20 at Amory Golf Course. Cost is $120 per four-person team. Tee off begins at 4 p.m. Nine holes will be played in the daylight and nine holes will be played in the dark. A light meal will […]
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Board of Aldermen will meet Monday, Sept. 15 at 5 p.m. at City Hall instead of its regular third Tuesday. The board will vote on the new budget for the upcoming fiscal year that begins Oct. 1.
AMORY – The Children of Monroe County (CMC) St. Jude Run Team is busy raising money for their third annual run, which will be held in Memphis Dec. 6. The team, which consists of 31 members, is busy running around collecting donations from residents of businesses of Monroe County. While brainstorming fundraising ideas, team members […]
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – Nearly 2.5 million families have positively changed their financial future through finance guru Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University, which will begin Sept. 23 at Bethel Apostolic Church at 7 p.m. The nine-week course provides families and individuals with practical tools to gain control of their finances and set themselves […]
For the Monroe Journal Fisheries Biologists with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks (MDWFP) want to remind All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) drivers that riding in streambeds can be harmful to fish habitat and fish, and may be unlawful. ATVs disturb gravel, sand and vegetation in stream bottoms that serve as spawning areas for […]
AMORY – On Thursday, the local Farm Bureau Federation hosted a tailgating party for the Amory Panther football team in preparation for the A-game against Aberdeen High School. The event featured grilled hot dogs. There were goodies in a paper bag given to each player. Items in the bag represented Mississippi farmers. The bag, […]
ABERDEEN – The Marines’ famous ‘Leave no man behind’ adage is one Cpl. Markecia Polk through the branch’s three phases of being broken down, built back up and finally molded as a Marine. On her down days while attending Aberdeen High School, that same attitude helped mold her interest for the military. “My teachers always […]
CALEDONIA – Hamilton put its larger school softball opponents to shame on Saturday at the Caledonia Tournament. The Lady Lions went 3-0 on the day scoring double digits against Caledonia, New Hope and Columbus. Hamilton coach Bryan Loague said he’s seeing the improvement in his team. “We hit the ball fairly well at times today. […]
By Carla Glasgow, honorary chairperson of First Friends’ Friends Walk. As a child growing up you always know that your parents love you and will always take care of you no matter what situations may occur. My brother Steven and I were raised at 104 South 6th Street here in Amory where Allen’s Big Star and the […]
Being up front and honest, elementary Sunday school is an education I’ve never extensively had. The names and stories told in the pages of the Bible are familiar, but are pieces of world history I find harder to fill in with vivid details. With the case of David and Goliath, surely everybody knows of the […]
AMORY – A memorial service was held on Friday, Sept. 12, at Amory Church of Christ for the five South Carolina children who were last seen alive Aug. 28 when their father, Timothy Jones Jr., picked them up from school and day care. The children are believed to have been killed in South Carolina and […]
- Aldermen meeting discussion focuses on taxes, industrial opportunity September 12, 2014
- Smithville water hearing meeting time changed September 16, 2014
- Amory man arrested for possession of weapon September 16, 2014
- APD warns of phone scam September 16, 2014
- Authorities seize significant-sized pot plants September 16, 2014
- Panthers edge out Bulldogs in final minutes September 18, 2014
- ICC offers personal safety, defense class for females September 18, 2014
- Friends Walk scheduled for Saturday September 18, 2014
- Ewing investigation ongoing after one year anniversary September 18, 2014
- Hatley blanks Alcorn Central for first win September 17, 2014
- Jennifer: Amory is turning into another version of Aberdeen....
- caleb: I can trap beaver in Monroe ms trapperman201 4@yah...
- Belinda Sue Beckley: Dr.Neil Wanee was my Dr in Fishers, Indiana for 4 ...
- Doug Cuthbert: You are correct I am not registered to vote here. ...
- weedeater: Great job for Amory's new mayor! Shoot down the ...
- ICC offers personal safety, defense class for females http://t.co/9nPPutewd6 2 hours ago
- Friends Walk scheduled for Saturday http://t.co/XpbDSmOcvc 10 hours ago
- Ewing investigation ongoing after one year anniversary http://t.co/Pn8kfh8gkL 10 hours ago
- Nettleton man charged with sexual battery http://t.co/F8zyK1ogoN 1 day ago
- Bond set for alleged marijuana manufacturer http://t.co/qZPaJNZDAm 1 day ago