There’s something in the water. That’s what they say. Where the waters of the Mississippi River meet the Delta soil is where sounds started to permeate before eventually being pressed on vinyl in the 1920s for the rest of the world to hear. About an 800-mile drive away from the poverty that influenced the blues, […]
ABERDEEN – In the years Aberdeen capitalized on its blues heritage, it has added a permanent blues marker, a colorful downtown mural and the guarantee that for that one weekend in October, the air will be filled with the sounds of blues music. That one weekend kicks off Friday at Blue Bluff with two days […]
Hamilton running back Keshon Heard took an already stellar season to another level on Friday night. The junior piled up 320 yards on 11 carries and found the endzone four times in the Lions’ 36-22 win over Thrasher on Friday night. “When we needed something big to happen on Friday night, we put the ball […]
Turnovers plagued Hatley on their Friday road trip to obvious Division 1-2A favorite Baldwyn. The Tigers turned the ball over three times in the first half with the Bearcats taking advantage of all three on their way to a 57-0 win. “You can’t turn the ball over three times in the first half against a […]
Smithville was shut out on the road on Friday night, falling 33-0 in a weather-shortened game to Division 1-1A favorite Falkner. “We were a little outmatched athletically, and between the long trip over there and the weather, it was a bad recipe,” Smithville coach Chad Collums said. “On top of all that, we didn’t play […]
HAMILTON – County slow-pitch softball rivals Hamilton and Hatley fought to the end on Thursday night. Hamilton overcame an 8-4 deficit midway through the game for a 9-8 walkoff in the bottom of the seventh. Lacey Holley’s RBI single scored Hallie Dobbs for the win. “We came through with the big hit at the end […]
HAMILTON – By summing up the Hydrate Campus Tour in a few descriptive words, co-founder and director Tim Beck confidently used, “Powerful, impactful and high energy” to capture the feel. Since the motivational assembly started as a 2007 pilot program at an inner-city Alabama school, the Hydrate Campus Tour has garnered rave reviews from educators […]
ABERDEEN – Talks regarding an interlocal agreement with the Monroe County Board of Supervisors placing the Matubby Creek bridge on a list for federal bridge repair funding for replacement stretched as the main topic over two governmental meetings last week. “I’m just trying to get things done on this side of the county. We’re at […]
HAMILTON – Keeping quiet about making it to the second round of Nashville auditions for this season of NBC’s “The Voice” has made for a long, bottled up kind of year for Tori Baucom, but in a good way. The Hatley senior, who lives in Hamilton, took a singing voice she’s used in church and […]
AMORY – After a rough first two sets, the Amory volleyball team gave Choctaw Central a run for its money in the third set, narrowing dropping it for 3-0 loss in Monday night’s match. The Lady Panthers led 22-21 late before the eventual score of 25-22. “We’ve never beat Choctaw before. Normally they beat us […]
For the Monroe Journal Mississippians who are victims of domestic violence can receive additional relief to help them flee from violent homes and dangerous situations. A new Public Service Commission rule which requires utilities to postpone collecting initial deposits for 60 days for certified victims of domestic violence went into effect Friday. The rule, authored […]
Those big plays in the high school games are held onto as long as grudges in the small towns that host them. They’re the egotistical victories and snarky resentments that fill and eat at our cores for years in the small little worlds we live in day-to-day and year-to-year. In-state rivalries never fizzle out either, […]
AMORY – Unofficial results from Tuesday’s alcohol referendum indicate that Amory voters want to keep the town free of alcohol. For the sale, distribution and possession of light wine with an alcohol content of less than 5 percent and beer of an alcoholic content of no more than 8 percent, the vote was 1,067 for […]
AMORY – After several developers dissolved into arguments among themselves and with members of the board at the board of aldermen’s Oct. 7, Mayor Brad Blalock restored order by removing everyone from the room, allowing the different developers to approach the board one at a time to try to reach a solution to the unrest […]
AMORY – Tuesday’s referendum regarding the sale of alcohol in Amory yielded the unofficial results that voters want to keep the town free of alcohol. For the sale, distribution and possession of light wine with an alcohol content of less than 5 percent and beer of an alcoholic content of no more than 8 percent, […]
- Unofficial results indicate Amory will remain dry October 15, 2014
- Nettleton woman arrested for Possession of Ice October 17, 2014
- Amory Post Office honors a survivor among its ranks October 14, 2014
- Singing the blues outside the ‘Happiest Place on Earth’ October 17, 2014
- Bulldogs take control of division race October 17, 2014
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman October 21, 2014
- Hamilton man arrested for possession of a controlled substance October 20, 2014
- Amory police charge two with retaliation against a witness October 20, 2014
- Cancer proves to be Rowe’s blessing from a curse October 20, 2014
- Program serves underserved, underinsured candidates October 20, 2014
- kyle ruff: I miss you...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman http://t.co/p4M3Y1mlMc 4 hours ago
- Hamilton man arrested for possession of a controlled substance http://t.co/OmWMMyrH1g 13 hours ago
- Amory police charge two with retaliation against a witness http://t.co/ZQCvJqW7wD 15 hours ago
- Wall believes in quality and healthy food http://t.co/OSMeFeC8in 2 days ago
- School board honors fallen member http://t.co/on2597hJGI 2 days ago