“Let’s be Cops” Rated: R Synposis by movies.com: It’s the ultimate buddy cop movie except for one thing: they’re not cops. When two struggling pals dress as police officers for a costume party, they become neighborhood sensations. But when these newly minted “heroes” get tangled in a real life web of mobsters and dirty detectives, […]
By CAROLYN PARSON/For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – In the absence of Mayor Cecil Belle, Ward 5 Alderman John Allen presided over the Aug. 19 board of aldermen meeting, highlighted by the approval of new employees. The board approved Carrie Kendrick for patrol and Mairiel Heard for dispatch for the Aberdeen Police Department. Javoni Jones […]
A standoff that ensued after two men barricaded themselves inside a home at New Road and Highway 6 Wednesday ended peacefully at approximately 5:30 p.m. and resulted in the arrest of three people – Steven Alton Brantley, 53; David Little, 35, both of Nettleton; and Crystal Deann Adair Bosch, 37, of Tupelo. All three are […]
Smithville senior Neil Knight is making the adjustment from moving from wide receiver to quarterback this season for the defending Class 1A North champs. Knight showed on Friday he’s already finding success in the role, scoring both Smithville touchdowns in a 13-2 win over Belmont. Knight had a 4-yard scoring run in the third quarter […]
Hatley saw the improvement its football team has made in the last year in Friday’s season-opener against South Pontotoc. They also saw a heartbreaker as South Pontotoc’s Clay Hood hauled in the game-winning 44-yard touchdown as the clock expired in a 27-22 Hatley loss on Friday night. “It was a little screen pass, and we […]
POTTS CAMP – Hamilton running back Keshon Heard showed he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with this season. The junior rushed for 191 yards and three touchdowns in Hamilton’s 43-27 season-opening win over Potts Camp, but it was also a balanced offensive attack for the Lions. Quarterback Byron Butler passed for 137 […]
HATLEY – Students packed tight in Hatley’s gymnasium’s bleachers held homemade signs and donned orange in a show of support Aug. 20 for #TeamSerra. Serra Pearson is battling an extremely rare form of dysautonomia, a condition that causes the body to detect some type of cancer and, in an attempt to fight the cancer, creates […]
ABERDEEN – District 3 Supervisor Carol Crawford took the unscheduled appearances Friday from Mary Ann Pope of Amory and Nina Morgan of Wren as an opportunity to clear up rumors of her proposed animal control program. “I think there’s been confusion. There is no intended leash law. I want to follow the state dog law […]
A six-hour standoff at a house at New Road and Highway 6 ended just before 5:30 p.m. after Steven Alton Brantley, 53, and David Little, 35, both of Nettleton, surrendered to Mississippi Highway Patrol SWAT team members and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office. According to Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Public Relations Officer Tanya Willems, Brantley […]
Deputies with the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office and the Mississippi Highway Patrol have responded to a standoff at New Road and Highway 6 between Nettleton and Amory Wednesday afternoon, according to Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Public Relations Officer Tanya Willems. According to Willems, 53-year-old Steve Alton Brantley has barricaded himself inside of a house and […]
AMORY – Dr. Benjamin Boatright joined Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center’s Amory Gastroenterology Clinic in early August. He shares an office with Dr. Joseph Bailey and Family Nurse Practitioner Tim Watson. Boatright, a native of Oxford, played football at Ole Miss and completed his residency and gastroenterology fellowship at the University of Mississippi School of […]
SMITHVILLE- Smithville, Mississippi (August 27, 2014) – Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley announced today that he will hold a public hearing regarding the Town of Smithville’s plan for a proposed rate increase for water service that has been filed with the Public Service Commission. The Public Hearing will be held Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at 10:00 […]
HATLEY – In a special-called meeting Aug. 19, the Hatley Board of Alderman discussed plans for an election to replace Hatley Mayor Pete Vaughan, who died unexpectedly Aug. 9. According to state requirements, a notice must run in the local newspaper for three weeks. Qualifying will begin Sept. 10, which is 20 days before the […]
AMORY – After months of canvassing for signatures, the Let’s Grow Amory grassroots movement has gathered the 20 percent of registered voter signatures required for a referendum. City Clerk Lee Barnett made the announcement at the regular-called meeting of the Mayor and Board of Aldermen on Aug. 19. “There were 945 signatures needed and 968 […]
ABERDEEN – When Marty Hansen and his wife moved to town, people would fuse snarky tones in asking why they moved to Aberdeen. Nearly 10 years later, no matter the retiree’s frustration with committees with golden ideas that don’t materialize, he says it’s the people that keep them from moving elsewhere. The pluses and negatives […]
- Residents brainstorm to strategize for future of Aberdeen August 26, 2014
- ICC schedules CPR/AED class August 29, 2014
- Panthers surge in second half at Independence August 29, 2014
- Bulldogs light up scoreboard in Shannon August 29, 2014
- Baldwyn tops Nettleton August 29, 2014
- MCSO nets Craiglist scammers, cocaine arrests in separate cases September 2, 2014
- HomeStretch expanding Nettleton operations September 2, 2014
- Milkshakes have been with McDonald’s from its humble beginnings September 2, 2014
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 53 of nation’s newest citizens September 1, 2014
- MHP issues statewide Amber Alert August 31, 2014
- Belinda Sue Beckley: Dr.Neil Wanee was my Dr in Fishers, Indiana for 4 ...
- Doug Cuthbert: You are correct I am not registered to vote here. ...
- weedeater: Great job for Amory's new mayor! Shoot down the ...
- Frank James: How in the hell was he not charged with intent to ...
- Fred G Sanford: Get Greg Beason to sell some of the scrap junk he ...
- MCSO nets Craiglist scammers, cocaine arrests in separate cases http://t.co/3yDpaiXLbg 5 hours ago
- HomeStretch expanding Nettleton operations http://t.co/jXjrkd2Fjm 47 mins ago
- Milkshakes have been with McDonald’s from its humble beginnings http://t.co/t7KRxTILuk 3 hours ago
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 53 of nation’s newest citizens http://t.co/Ydb28CVRkC 1 day ago
- MHP issues statewide Amber Alert http://t.co/If2YMG629e 1 day ago