For the Monroe Journal AMORY – The United States Postal Service released its first semipostal stamp in 1998, dedicated to raising money and awareness for breast cancer research. Since 1998, the stamp has raised $80,306,547 for breast cancer research. The USPS Mississippi District is leading the nation again this year in breast cancer stamp sales. […]
RIDGELAND – Smithville’s five seniors – Lane Kennedy, Breanna Edgeworth, Laken Armstrong, Claire McNeese and Ashtyn Hensley – capped off a stellar slow-pitch softball career by adding their third state championship in four years. The Lady Noles (30-6) grabbed a two-game sweep of Sebastopol, 5-1 and 12-8, to win Class 1A again after back-to-back titles […]
By Gene Phelps and Melissa Meador Daily Journal RIDGELAND – Harley Tucker, the bases filled with Nettleton base runners, belted a screaming line drive deep to center field at Freedom Ridge Park. She needed it to go 250 feet. Instead it traveled about 248 and into the glove of Philadelphia outfielder Kenyatta Moore for the […]
By Brandon Speck and Melissa Meador Monroe Journal RIDGELAND – The big hit eluded Hatley. Errors did not. East Webster took advantage and won the first slow-pitch championship in school history. East Webster swept Hatley, 7-3 and 1-0 in the Class 2A state championship series on Saturday at Freedom Ridge Park. “Second game, we really […]
RIDGELAND – Errors plagued Amory at the wrong time in its Class 4A slow-pitch softball state championship loss on Saturday. Newton County (32-3) capitalized on four Amory (27-9) errors in the last two innings of a back-and-forth Game 1 for a 10-7 win, then rode 10 Lady Panther miscues to a 16-1 five-inning victory in […]
ABERDEEN – Aberdeen Building Official David Low addressed the board of aldermen Oct. 21 regarding the skating rink on N. Thayer Avenue, which he insisted the way it’s zoned, will exclusively be a skating rink before a letter of occupancy is granted. “The skating rink was shut down due to insufficiencies. They fixed the insufficiencies. […]
AMORY – Amory City Clerk Lee Barnett presented the certified results from the Oct. 14 alcohol referendum, which proved to be a close race, at the regular-called city board meeting Oct. 21. A total of 2,403 votes were cast on the liquor issue and a total of 2,198 were cast on the light wine and […]
After months of adapting a script, scouting abandoned structures and backdrops predominantly Monroe County and filming a localized take on the internet sensation known as the Slender Man, the feature film bearing its name officially premiered last week in Tupelo to positive reviews. Monroe County natives Dylan Scott and Ryan Savage joined creative forces with […]
By Carol Knight • Amory Main Street Director As we all know, places do not revitalize themselves. It is people working hard who help downtown areas fully maximize their potential and become communities of choice for residents and tourists alike. Amory Main Street cannot exist without strong community support and volunteers. I don’t consider any […]
AMORY – The Windows is hosting the 2014 Holiday Market on Friday, Nov. 22, from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m., and Saturday, Nov. 23, from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Full- and half-size booths are available on a “first come, first serve” basis. The cost is the same as last year, $25, and the deadline […]
ABERDEEN – Pioneer Community Hospital continues its annual Paint the Hospital Pink campaign throughout October to encourage breast cancer awareness. While hospital staff members have been observing pink days each Wednesday and have raised money through pre-orders of the “Kiss Cancer Goodbye” T-shirts commemorating the month that benefited the American Cancer Society, a couple of […]
For the Monroe Journal Gov. Phil Bryant declared Oct. 27-31 Fall Severe Weather Preparedness Week in Mississippi, according to a press release from the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency. The National Weather Service will issue a statewide test tornado warning on NOAA weather radios at 9:15 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014. Schools, government agencies and […]
AMORY – Kim Fears had had several knots in her breast prior to October 2008, when she was doing title abstraction in West Point. She lifted a big book, started to drop it and stretched her neck catching it. “My neck was really sore and I found a knot. I didn’t do anything about it […]
HAMILTON – For Glenda Faye Keaton, during the years leading up to 1999, neither church attendance nor regular scripture readings were two of her strong suits. A heart-dropping moment when she was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 46 didn’t instantly change her religious lifestyle, but a little voice in her head eventually did. “I […]
AMORY – U.S. Senator Roger Wicker spoke to the Rotary Club of Amory on Thursday, Oct. 16. He told the group that people tell him there is “no compromise,” or ask “why can’t you all get along and get things done in Washington” in regards to politicians working for the same causes. “There are positive […]
- School board cites lack of affordable housing to dip in enrollment October 25, 2014
- Lady Noles grab third title in four years October 29, 2014
- Amory Post Office employees support the cause October 30, 2014
- Pioneer offers candy X-rays October 30, 2014
- Supervisors OK new 911 system, opt out of building codes October 30, 2014
- Monroe football previews: Week 11 October 31, 2014
- Panthers ensure playoff spot with win at Tish County October 31, 2014
- Nettleton comes alive in second half October 31, 2014
- UPDATE: Gun threat increases school security for football game October 31, 2014
- Aberdeen kicks off holiday season with Christmas Open House October 31, 2014
- Charlotte: Heartbroken taking my kids there every week, means...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Monroe football previews: Week 11 http://t.co/fAUIpgN3TH 8 hours ago
- Gun threat increases school security for football game http://t.co/NMy1M5mxce 14 hours ago
- General election set for Nov. 4 http://t.co/5OEwr8wbb5 17 hours ago
- Bond set for two subjects charged in recent ICE bust http://t.co/yHYzef2FQI 1 day ago
- RT @cityofamoryMS: @monroe360 5-7 Frisco Park Funraiser Festival! Chili Cookoff, pumpkins, entertainment, Trick-or-Treat, costume contest, … 1 day ago retweeted via cityofamoryMS