Two inmates from the Monroe County Detention Center escaped from custody Sunday night at approximately 10:33, according to a release from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office. Inmates Ricky D. Otts, 35, of Aberdeen and Christopher Wade Henry, 26, of Steens escaped through a door at the back of the jail. Otts was apprehended by deputies […]
Several Monroe County Vocational Technical Center students recently competed in the Mississippi Technology Student Association. The 5057A robotics team is the TSA Vex Robotic State Champion, while the fashion design team also garners state champion status. The technology bowl team won third place. All three teams advance to the National TSA Conference in Washington. D.C., […]
AMORY – Amory High School’s horticulture program’s vegetable garden is seeking help from the community and friends by votes that could enable the group to receive a grant from Seeds of Change. Two $20,000 and 15 $10,000 grants will be awarded through the Seeds of Change Grant Program. Voting began April 1 and runs through […]
The Amory track team had a handful of finishers place at Saturday’s Daily Journal Relays at Tupelo High School. The meet was the final one for the team before their division meet at Pontotoc next Tuesday and Thursday. “It was a great day for our kids. We set personal records in almost every event we […]
AMORY – Mention the Amory Railroad Festival and the first thing popping into mind are apple fritters. People line up at Bethel Apostolic’s apple fritter booth waiting on fresh, hot apple fritters. It is rumored that people will come from Memphis and other areas to the Railroad Festival and leave with a bag of apple […]
HATLEY– Smithville’s Tyler Hood came out on the winning side of a county baseball pitching battle on Saturday against Hatley with his Seminoles taking the 6-2 win in the afternoon and completing the sweep with a 12-0 win that night. Hood allowed just five hits from the Tigers and struck out five while walking three, […]
AMORY – For the second night in a row, Amory rode a hot start to a win, this time splitting with Nettleton in a day/night doubleheader on Saturday. The Panthers led 8-2 after the second inning and held off Nettleton’s seventh inning rally for the 8-5 win. “We started off the game tonight doing a […]
BECKER – Mary Jo Kirkpatrick was recently named School of Nursing Administrator of the Year at the annual Nightingale Awards held in Jackson. The award is sponsored by the Mississippi Nurses’ Association and the Mississippi Nurses’ Foundation. Kirkpatrick, chair of the Mississippi University for Women’s Associate of Science in Nursing Program, has been a faculty […]
For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma Society selected Debbie Fenstermacher as its Red Rose Recipient. She has been married to Loren Fenstermacher for 40 years. The couple has two children and five grandchildren. Fenstermacher has worked for Hamilton Schools for 26 years. She spent seven years as an […]
AMORY – After a sweep to Tishomingo County last week to open their division slate, Amory bounced back with a sweep of its own against Shannon with Friday night’s 8-1 win. “I thought the guys did a great job coming out and seeing the same pitcher again,” Amory coach Chad Williams said. “He started against […]
In a down-to-the-wire Division 1-4A softball game on Thursday night, it was a pair of sophomores that came up with the game-tying and winning hits in an 7-5 road victory for Amory at Corinth. After a solo home run earlier in the game, Erin Griffith hit an RBI single to tie the game up, and […]
AMORY – 10:30 a.m. -11:00 a.m. Nettleton Karate Class 11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Vocal Motion/Rhythm Express 12:30 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Cheernastics 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Sherman Dillon Blues Band 2:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Amory Dance Centre 3 :00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Sound Check 6:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Bikini Frankenstein […]
What a long strange trip it’s been: Even by playing back and forth, there’s no place like home for The Gents
AMORY – The Gents have come a long way since rattling a chandelier while the practicing in J.B. Stevenson’s attic in the mid-1960s. Although band members couldn’t technically call themselves a garage band since that’s where Stevenson’s mom insisted her long car stayed, the group lived the life of one. Through cutting a record, parting […]
AMORY – Mary Donnelly Haskell and Friends will perform at the Ford Center at Ole Miss at 7 p.m. on Saturday, April 12. The Sounds of Stage and Screen will feature songs of Broadway and move musicals. Haskell has invited her daughter, Mary Lane Haskell; Marilu Henner; Guy Hovis; and the Buford Family of Greenwood. […]
With the excitement of the Railroad Festival, it’s really easy for me to lose myself in that weekend. Aside from being the one true week of the year time flashes back nearly 20 years by way of a theme of old movies, CDs and a more nostalgic mindset, for some reason, it dawned on me […]
- County named in $500,000 lawsuit April 15, 2014
- Gardening woes sometimes just how our garden grows April 10, 2014
- County vocational technical students win at state April 14, 2014
- Pair of inmates apprehended after Sunday night jail break April 14, 2014
- Amory police arrest Hamilton man on vehicle burglary charges April 14, 2014
- Voter ID information session scheduled April 17, 2014
- Reflections of festival bring to mind the tacky and the classy April 17, 2014
- Lady Panthers rally late to over come Tish in division play April 16, 2014
- Update: Three people dead after Nettleton shooting April 16, 2014
- Week off from surgery feels like an eternity April 16, 2014
- former runner: I hope this program will get the financial support...
- Ronald: The pic your looking at is a different a Joshua an...
- DSG: I don't see a scratch on him??? Was that picture ...
- Here for Now: It's not like at least half the town isn't drink...
- Isn\'t This the 21st Century: Bishop Freeman I've eaten at O'charleys, Chilis,...
- Update: Two shot in Nettleton http://t.co/bmz939QvcS 12 hours ago
- Officer down in Nettleton http://t.co/5oXXnTumfG 13 hours ago
- Shooting in Nettleton http://t.co/tGCAuMzX3t 13 hours ago
- Festival concludes with new levels of success http://t.co/b9tVhaQWSw 19 hours ago
- Garth named new Aberdeen High School principal for upcoming school year http://t.co/ySeK4BJB2o 19 hours ago