Some childhood memories are simply glorious. I remember my brother and I getting dropped off at what was, at that time, the Amory Twin Cinema to watch “Back to the Future.” It was awesome, but nothing compared to when we went to Amory Twin to see “Little Shop of Horrors.” The crowded theater was filled […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
Throughout the entire alcohol issue in Amory, I would casually let people know I didn’t have a dog in that fight when the conversation pointed at that. I could see positives from both sides of the fence and wasn’t afraid to say that alcohol being an economic savior for the town and a complete demoralizer […]
Those big plays in the high school games are held onto as long as grudges in the small towns that host them. They’re the egotistical victories and snarky resentments that fill and eat at our cores for years in the small little worlds we live in day-to-day and year-to-year. In-state rivalries never fizzle out either, […]
By Devy Ferguson, director of the Amory Visitors Bureau By the time you read this, you’re accustomed to fall and its cooler temperatures and colorful foliage that are turning our thoughts toward the holiday season. As much as I love summertime, I am always relieved to see those hot, humid days retire! It’s time for […]
Do you remember your last encounter with the Mississippi Highway Patrol? Of course you do. Blue flashing lights, a moment of dread and then a handwritten invitation to deposit money into the state’s coffers. All too often our only encounter with officers of the Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol is the result of getting caught driving […]
By Mary Nell Dorris, executive director of First Friends Respite Care Center. Hopson and I were checking out with a huge basket of groceries. He suddenly said to the cashier, “Will you please page my wife?” I can still see her look in slow motion. First, she looked like she was going to tell him how […]
In a misinterpretation of an Oscar speech that stuck, Sally Field, in 1984, spouted off a variation of the famous saying, “You like me. You really, really like me,” as part of her acceptance speech for Best Actress for “Places in the Heart.” Five years later, America really liked her set in the backdrop of […]
Two of the most exciting activities in the fall are cheering on our favorite team and gardening. As temperatures begin to drop and rains become more frequent, some of us get excited about working in the garden again. Whether you are planting new shrubs and trees, replacing dead ones, or dividing existing plants, fall is […]
By Ruth Howell “The November Man” Rated: R Synopsis provided by movies.com: Based on Bill Granger’s novel “There Are No Spies” from the bestselling November Man book series, “The November Man” is the ultimate cat and mouse game set in the world of international espionage. Ruth’s review: An agent for the CIA was retiring and […]
- Bukka White Festival celebrates the blues this weekend October 17, 2014
- Kennedy, Edgeworth power Smithville in first round win October 21, 2014
- Well. Now that that’s over and done with….. October 22, 2014
- Monroe County school districts opt to keep 2013 rankings October 22, 2014
- Data reveals need for pre-kindergarten education October 22, 2014
- Laughter is one of the best medicines for centurion October 24, 2014
- Miss Mississippi State University crowned at best time to be a Bulldog October 24, 2014
- Lions cruise at Biggersville October 23, 2014
- Bulldogs blasted by defending champions October 23, 2014
- Tigers blasted at Kemper October 23, 2014
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Busted: This guy has had more chances than I can count. Lo...
- Laughter is one of the best medicines for centurion http://t.co/6MmyRSA1vU 1 hour ago
- Miss Mississippi State University crowned at best time to be a Bulldog http://t.co/nlJmpewbYP 1 hour ago
- Alleged wild ride leads to multiple charges for Aberdeen man http://t.co/kRTatdQaW4 19 hours ago
- MCSO launches annual Christmas Toy Drive http://t.co/MpkdsZpy2z 20 hours ago
- County is not immune to domestic violence http://t.co/4ezrHJBPLS 23 hours ago