This weekend I read an article in the Business section of the Daily Journal about a business owner in the town of West Point who was moving her 12-year-old business to Oxford. As anyone who has been to the town knows, West Point has many fine things to recommend it. Great festivals, antiques and, of […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
Last week we touched on how you can get involved to keep Amory thriving. To that end, you can support and attend the events that various civic minded committees are sponsoring. On Aug. 23, the Old Amory Reborn committee will give an old style sock hop. Attendees are encouraged to wear 50s style clothing and […]
My coverage of the Amory School Board meeting was difficult this week. It is rare that someone outside of the board members actually attends the meetings and even more rare when it’s my daughter who is the one showing up to speak her mind. It all started a couple of weeks ago in the kitchen. […]
A friend once told me, ‘You only get 52 Saturdays a year so use them wisely.’ I can’t remember when during a particular three- to four-year stretch he said it, but recall seeing him use that time to sleep really late to recover from the night before while preparing for another in his more party-driven […]
It’s Friends Walk time again — Sept. 20, 2014, 8:30 a.m. at Frisco Park in Amory. Please support us through a sponsorship, a team, a donation in-kind or any other opportunity outlined on this letter. Opal Carter is our loved and respected World War II paratrooper and has been coming for five years. Sue Raper […]
Let’s talk about Amory. What makes her unique? What are her special qualities that might draw visitors and businesses to our town? Now I can list a whole page of what I love about Amory. A-rated school system? Right here. Top notch medical facilities? Got it. Historical interest? Yep. Forward looking leadership? Yes. Along with […]
Mrs. Bender stared at her doctor’s framed medical diploma while trying to recall her parents’ health issues. “Well, that’s all in the past,” she stammered. Not one to seek medical help over the years and now age 81, Mrs. Bender struggled to piece together her own medical history, let alone her parents’. “I think my […]
As a supporter of the First Amendment, I’m all for freedom of speech. As a newspaper editor, I’m all for hearing people’s complaints about the Monroe Journal to strive to make what we do better. As a newspaper reporter, I’m all about hearing citizens’ concerns about their city – to a degree. Given I aim […]
The recent death of 22-month-old Cooper Harris of Georgia has the media, social media, parents and bystanders all abuzz about leaving children in a hot vehicle. This is not something that is new to the world. Children have been left in hot vehicles numerous times throughout the years. Last year, there were 44 children who […]
- Pocket park to be dedicated to First Friends August 21, 2014
- It’s up to us to make a difference August 21, 2014
- Cantrell elected president-elect of state school superintendents August 25, 2014
- Meeting educates on police department’s dealings August 25, 2014
- Crash in Monroe County claims life of West Point man August 25, 2014
- Make-A-Wish announcement the cherry on top of a sweet week for Hatley teen August 28, 2014
- County animal control subject remains hot topic August 28, 2014
- Highway 6 standoff ends with capture of two subjects August 27, 2014
- Law enforcement officers respond to Highway 6 standoff August 27, 2014
- Boatright joins Amory clinic August 27, 2014
- Doug Cuthbert: You are correct I am not registered to vote here. ...
- weedeater: Great job for Amory's new mayor! Shoot down the ...
- Frank James: How in the hell was he not charged with intent to ...
- Fred G Sanford: Get Greg Beason to sell some of the scrap junk he ...
- MeriemDZ: Fourteen years ago I walked up on the porch of the...
- Highway 6 standoff ends with capture of two subjects http://t.co/aRoU1zyk6b 7 hours ago
- Law enforcement officers respond to Highway 6 standoff http://t.co/E6cCdtE365 9 hours ago
- Presley Sets Public Hearing Regarding Town of Smithville Water Rates http://t.co/FaQ3f0gT4P 16 hours ago
- Hatley sets mayoral election for Sept. 30 http://t.co/NUfZi2grHZ 19 hours ago
- Board sets special election date for alcohol referendum http://t.co/GvjYaPjZLo 19 hours ago