Mrs. Bender stared at her doctor’s framed medical diploma while trying to recall her parents’ health issues. “Well, that’s all in the past,” she stammered. Not one to seek medical help over the years and now age 81, Mrs. Bender struggled to piece together her own medical history, let alone her parents’. “I think my […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
As a supporter of the First Amendment, I’m all for freedom of speech. As a newspaper editor, I’m all for hearing people’s complaints about the Monroe Journal to strive to make what we do better. As a newspaper reporter, I’m all about hearing citizens’ concerns about their city – to a degree. Given I aim […]
The recent death of 22-month-old Cooper Harris of Georgia has the media, social media, parents and bystanders all abuzz about leaving children in a hot vehicle. This is not something that is new to the world. Children have been left in hot vehicles numerous times throughout the years. Last year, there were 44 children who […]
There’s an “I” that speaks about our selfish sides. There’s a “you” that proves that “I” isn’t nearly enough to get us through a day. There playing the middle man is a “love” being the glue holding the two of them together. There’s a dictionary full of words that complete sentences detailing excuses that get […]
Roberto Gallardo/For the Monroe Journal Monroe County residents who are nearing retirement age can increase their lifetime income if they can wait a bit to start drawing Social Security benefits. In Monroe County 4,834 residents – or 13.3 percent of the population – are aged 55 to 64. Those are the years when folks start […]
Just the word ‘grassroots’ to me speaks of a creative way of making something happen. Recently, I’ve heard it apply to a statewide petition campaign looking for a way to push the legislature for more education funding. Even more recently, I’ve heard the term apply to a small group of creative locals looking for ways […]
I’m not a sports writer, but I guess this could be considered a sports column. As I write this column, I am certainly celebrating that my San Antonio Spurs won the NBA Championship this evening (Sunday). My interest in the Spurs goes back to 1996 when my son, Wesley, got interested in the Spurs and […]
Throughout the past semester, a cross section of parents, pastors and citizens aiming for change of the Aberdeen School District have engaged in monthly meetings to analyze prospective opportunities to project the school system’s performance back to its prime. The list of projects group members aim to achieve include clergy involvement, renewed partnerships with local […]
Because of its infotainment purposes, I hope I wasn’t the only one around here who got sucked into six hours of the History Channel’s miniseries, ‘The World’s Wars,’ a couple of weeks ago. It was not only a refresher of World Wars I and II, but also an education on more detailed facts of the […]
- Pro-alcohol group turns in needed number of signatures July 23, 2014
- Alley access subject of neighborhood quarrel July 24, 2014
- The freedom to speak and the freedom to speak freely July 24, 2014
- Umfress named vice president of student affairs July 26, 2014
- Health department awards tobacco-free coalitions grant July 27, 2014
- MHP issues Silver Alert for missing 66-year-old July 29, 2014
- Mississippi’s early migratory game bird seasons announced July 29, 2014
- W student accepted into Rural Physicians Scholarship Program July 29, 2014
- Depot project calls for volunteers with project expertise July 29, 2014
- Your neighbor: Mary Myers July 28, 2014
- Michael Hontz: Wow this a joke. This paper cares nothing about p...
- Meia: Hi ...
- Cletus Snow: #1, my name isn't John, Cletus or Snow. #2, I nev...
- Guest: 1st of all, my name is "John"... Nor is it reall...
- Jason: Ya know i grew up in Amory and more than half of t...
- MHP issues Silver Alert for missing 66-year-old http://t.co/wkNgtr8aga 3 hours ago
- Mississippi’s early migratory game bird seasons announced http://t.co/FU4XfV4tbm 7 hours ago
- W student accepted into Rural Physicians Scholarship Program http://t.co/MezT3Uae50 8 hours ago
- Depot project calls for volunteers with project expertise http://t.co/J8357h1z0d 8 hours ago
- Your neighbor: Mary Myers http://t.co/MSptogVu2s 1 day ago