By District 20 Rep. Chris Brown This week, we turned our focus toward budget matters, with both the Appropriations and Ways and Means committees very active. The Appropriations committee deals with spending the state’s money and is charged with designing the Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 state budget, which begins July 1. The Ways and Means […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
By Judy Baxter, Amory Proud promotions committee chairwoman With a new year here, the holidays over and spring soon to arrive, Amory Main Street’s promotions committee is working hard on fundraisers and business activities. On Feb. 10, at Millers on Main, we sponsored a Merchant’s Breakfast for the businesses in town. There were almost 50 in […]
By District 20 Rep. Chris Brown We faced two big deadlines this week as they made their way through the calendar. Thursday, Feb. 12, was the deadline for Original Floor Action on general bills and constitutional amendments. If a bill was reported out of a committee but was not addressed before this deadline, it died. […]
I never really thought that I was addicted to my smart phone until about six month ago when I realized I was using it for just about everything. I use it as an alarm clock. I use it to change the channel on the television, and it even controls the thermostat at the house. It […]
A couple of weeks ago, there was a story all over the news about a cat named Bart who got hit by a car in Tampa. Bart was buried in a shallow grave after his owner presumed he was dead. The cat cashed in on one of his nine lives to claw himself out of […]
By Dee Allison, president of the Quality Education Foundation in Amory and Mike Manning, vice president. What is the Quality Education Foundation? Oddly enough, and in spite of our 18 year history, most people outside the field of education do not know we exist. The answer? QEF is a private, non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to raising […]
We can’t underestimate the importance of how a solid public school district and a prosperous community are one in the same. Without good schools, our future is bleak. We also can’t underestimate how important the support of the private sector is to have a successful district. They go hand in hand. With that said, we […]
By District 20 Rep. Chris Brown In anticipation of the deadline to report general bills originating in the House out of committee, on Feb. 3, we had a full week of committee work. The following are a few measures to pass the House of Representatives this week. The House Transportation Committee passed several bills out […]
From now until 5 p.m. on Feb. 27, it’s qualifying season here in Monroe County for the county’s elections. Politics can be looked at in two different ways – something that’s really interesting to you or something you really don’t care anything about. Voter turnout year-to-year usually reveals which side most people take even though […]
- Amory inducts 35 students into National Technical Honor Society February 21, 2015
- Wintry precipitation arrives February 25, 2015
- Lady Lions come back over TCPS February 25, 2015
- Winter weather forces shut downs February 25, 2015
- Lady Tigers come from behind for playoff spot February 25, 2015
- Legislative Update: Week of Feb. 25, 2015 February 28, 2015
- School district saves energy through Ameresco project February 28, 2015
- Bulldogs, Lady Tigers win divison championships February 27, 2015
- Hamilton RB Heard offered by MSU February 27, 2015
- Aberdeen School District to have delayed start February 27, 2015
- Danny Majors: Did the course get purchased lately?...
- Janice Cain: Thanks for that article. I am Presbyterian and man...
- Diva: This lady along with an Amory native, Jo McDivitt,...
- chris: Please notify of related post to krystal and kyle ...
- monroeme: 5 alderman and one recused himself...where I went ...