Two weeks ago, 196 people who typically don’t frequent the Elkin Theatre piled in on a Wednesday night for an encore screening of “War Room.” During its first run at the Aberdeen movie theater weeks before, it attracted upwards of 400 moviegoers for the weekend. Typically, bigger Hollywood blockbusters can bring in bigger crowds to […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
A Catch 22 of social media is that no matter how insignificant a talking point can seem in a world’s worth of oppression, global conflicts and people going hungry and homeless, there are thousands of others quick to retweet, share or post about that insignificant something as well. The latest such case blazing across the […]
There has always been something cool and flashy looking about having a time piece on our wrists. From having choices between digital Casio calculators and Mickey Mouse arms pointing at the hour and minute on them, pining for a watch at Christmastime seemed like a simple grown-up request. Back in younger days, there really wasn’t […]
There are two calendar holidays when veterans truly get their due reverence – Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Even though Independence Day is set aside to celebrate our nation’s independence from England by modern ways of grilled hot dogs and fireworks, it’s the servicemen and women who have continued our forefather’s fight to maintain that […]
One of the advantages of working for the newspaper is coming in contact with lots of people. While trying to track down people and write articles on breast cancer is not a fun thing, the people I have met have made a lasting impression on me. This year, it has been my privilege to interview […]
“There’s nobody I’d vote for.” “I could care less.” “There’s an election this year???” These are the types of phrases that could make any fallen forefather, U.S. soldier or civil rights champion turn over in his or her grave. Tuesday marks another state and county general election – a date that comes once every four […]
It doesn’t matter how many years in a row you watch them and no matter how you can quote Halloween cartoon specials verbatim; they’re always going to be a special and pleasant childhood reminder that the holidays are officially here. Regardless if you lean more towards trick-or-treating or trunks and treats, autumn or All Hallow’s […]
By Kirk Cassidy If you’re 10 years out from when you expect to retire, then now is the time to get serious about a retirement plan, says Kirk Cassidy, a Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) who emphasizes the importance of the holistic approach to personal finances. “No matter what stage you’re in, there’s never a bad […]
By Helen Boerner/Mississippi Tobacco-Free Coalition Red Ribbon Week, one of the most effective campaigns for preventing tobacco use among youth, takes place Oct. 23–31. This year’s Red Ribbon Week theme is, “Respect Yourself. Be Drug Free.” The week is an opportunity for youth and communities to unite and take a visible stand against drugs. Every […]
- Community Bank annual breakfast honors veterans November 19, 2015
- No matter what the critics say, the message seems to ring out louder November 24, 2015
- Poole’s hot shooting leads Noles to 4-0 start November 24, 2015
- Blaylock’s clutch shooting leads Tigers to victory November 24, 2015
- Lady Panthers sink key free throws to beat Nettleton November 24, 2015
- Aberdeen drops roundball doubleheader to Shannon November 26, 2015
- Former Amory Garment tree goes up for the season November 26, 2015
- Supervisors approve road permit bond related to oil exploration November 26, 2015
- Extra point carries Noles to victory November 25, 2015
- Orr makes key plays to top East Side November 25, 2015
- Marty Harris: I hope that they do get the speeders slowed down b...
- Scott: Thanks Chris, cool to see you guys doing these thi...
- Kelly Wolfe: Dr. Neil Wanee had been our family doctor for 28 y...
- Carlos: This sounds really nice. I think it not possible d...
- WeldingTodayDotCom : Good thing that women also are showing their inter...