The recent death of 22-month-old Cooper Harris of Georgia has the media, social media, parents and bystanders all abuzz about leaving children in a hot vehicle. This is not something that is new to the world. Children have been left in hot vehicles numerous times throughout the years. Last year, there were 44 children who […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
There’s an “I” that speaks about our selfish sides. There’s a “you” that proves that “I” isn’t nearly enough to get us through a day. There playing the middle man is a “love” being the glue holding the two of them together. There’s a dictionary full of words that complete sentences detailing excuses that get […]
Roberto Gallardo/For the Monroe Journal Monroe County residents who are nearing retirement age can increase their lifetime income if they can wait a bit to start drawing Social Security benefits. In Monroe County 4,834 residents – or 13.3 percent of the population – are aged 55 to 64. Those are the years when folks start […]
Just the word ‘grassroots’ to me speaks of a creative way of making something happen. Recently, I’ve heard it apply to a statewide petition campaign looking for a way to push the legislature for more education funding. Even more recently, I’ve heard the term apply to a small group of creative locals looking for ways […]
I’m not a sports writer, but I guess this could be considered a sports column. As I write this column, I am certainly celebrating that my San Antonio Spurs won the NBA Championship this evening (Sunday). My interest in the Spurs goes back to 1996 when my son, Wesley, got interested in the Spurs and […]
Throughout the past semester, a cross section of parents, pastors and citizens aiming for change of the Aberdeen School District have engaged in monthly meetings to analyze prospective opportunities to project the school system’s performance back to its prime. The list of projects group members aim to achieve include clergy involvement, renewed partnerships with local […]
Because of its infotainment purposes, I hope I wasn’t the only one around here who got sucked into six hours of the History Channel’s miniseries, ‘The World’s Wars,’ a couple of weeks ago. It was not only a refresher of World Wars I and II, but also an education on more detailed facts of the […]
Since I started here at the Monroe Journal more than a year-and-a-half ago, I’ve always enjoyed our Tuesday afternoon staff meetings. We all gather in the conference room for about an hour and go over what we have planned for the next week’s edition, discuss ideas for the paper and magazines, brainstorm on ways to […]
(By Birney Imes|Reprinted with permission by The Commerical Dispatch) Some stories are so tender, so close to the bone, so rich in human emotion, the teller entrusted with them feels daunted by the responsibility that goes with the retelling. This is one such story. By any measure Lee Frederick was a brilliant child. Brilliance, in […]
- Becker man arrested for burglary of commercial building in Hamilton July 18, 2014
- MDWFP urges people to leave fawns alone this season July 19, 2014
- Mid-Summer tomato blues July 19, 2014
- India pastor visits pastor friend in Amory July 20, 2014
- Lay gets recipes from social media July 20, 2014
- Houston man arrested for livestock theft July 22, 2014
- Grant provides Old Armory’s first step towards acoustics July 22, 2014
- APD host agency for attorney general training session July 22, 2014
- Conservator releases July agenda July 21, 2014
- Blues festival wins magazine’s best festival competition July 21, 2014
- Michael Hontz: Name posted....
- Michael Hontz: Jimbo Adams .. Married. Should also be charged w...
- Michael Hontz: This dude is garbage. He's always stealing. I su...
- citizen: Don't we need streets, which don't throw tires o...
- Diva: About time, I guess it was the deputy who allowed ...
- APD host agency for attorney general training session http://t.co/STybGLz94A 4 hours ago
- Conservator releases July agenda http://t.co/EWQMUVgQld 22 hours ago
- Lay gets recipes from social media http://t.co/w0MrxON4js 2 days ago
- India pastor visits pastor friend in Amory http://t.co/Zl75Y3kucT 2 days ago
- MDWFP urges people to leave fawns alone this season http://t.co/snPEApzReh 3 days ago