I have discovered as I age that my list of pet peeves is increasing. I’m not sure if I am losing my patience, which was never a strong point with me anyway, but I had gotten much better, or maybe I’m just getting old and cranky. Probably the latter. Wikipedia.com says a pet peeve is […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
I read an article on Fox News’ website the other day about a new trend popping up all over the world. Particular groups of people are setting up designated buildings, with designated times on Sundays to worship together. It sounds a lot like a church to me. However, the people who are organizing these gatherings […]
Two big deadlines faced your House this week as we made our way through the calendar. Thursday, Feb. 13, was the deadline for original floor action on general bills and constitutional amendments. If a bill was reported out of a committee but was not addressed before this deadline, it died. Friday, Feb. 14, was the […]
As much as Feb. 14 dreadfully blots the calendar year for singles, it’s become my therapeutic tradition to write an anti-Valentine’s Day column to counter it. In the last couple of years, I’ve tried my best to explain the horrors of the nightlife and the splendors of being single. This year won’t be much different […]
This week is known as deadline week. We were faced with a full week of committee work in anticipation of the approaching Feb. 4 deadline for reporting general bills originating in the House out of committee. The House Corrections Committee passed several bills out of committee this week. House Bill 63 prohibits persons convicted of […]
If you’ve been there, you know the feeling of your plunging heart the second you learn of someone special in your life who has passed on to a better place. You also know the numb feeling that comes in the following minutes, hours or days as it sinks into reality. Sometimes it catches you by […]
When I first started working out of our Monroe County offices almost six years ago, I learned one thing very quickly about the county’s residents – they are very opinionated. Regularly, my phone lights up with someone wanting to share an opinion about the issues of the day. Being a general manager of a weekly […]
I read with great interest in Saturday’s Daily Journal the rosters for the Senior Bowl. Don’t ask me why I was interested in the Senior Bowl rosters. The only slightly local connection was Mississippi State’s offensive lineman Gabe Jackson. Anyway, I was thumbing through the Sports section and the rosters were on page 4B so […]
“At the end of the day, there shouldn’t be any excuses for anyone to not support what’s going on in Aberdeen. These kids will show you what a group of kids can do in a short amount of time.” Those were the words of Aberdeen High School band director Toni Reece last Wednesday in reference […]
- New Parvin murder trial begins March 3, 2014
- Civil suit filed against former ALC teacher March 6, 2014
- State presents its case in Parvin trial March 6, 2014
- From the Upper East Side: Trojans go downtown late to end Dogs’ season March 6, 2014
- Basketball season comes to a close with Bulldogs a point away from Jackson March 6, 2014
- Amory tops Hatley, Smithville at classic March 9, 2014
- Tubb enjoys cooking and second career March 9, 2014
- Planning meeting held for community garden March 9, 2014
- Lady Lions roll out to a 2-0 start at classic March 8, 2014
- Flower Lovers educated on pollination March 8, 2014
- ForAmory\'sGrowth: All that has been said is that the voters need to ...
- ForAmory\'sGrowth: I want to support you! I did check the records of...
- Doug Cuthbert: My son Josh Cuthbert and I own property in Amory a...
- itspersonal: Since the end of the conflict in 1865 we in the So...
- itspersonal: The records of Amory City Clerk Lee Barnett show t...
- Tubb enjoys cooking and second career http://t.co/CzMuICDzUh 11 hours ago
- Planning meeting held for community garden http://t.co/fSB7DXh33v 11 hours ago
- Flower Lovers educated on pollination http://t.co/3TYkollLie 1 day ago
- Renasant Bank celebrates 110 years of service http://t.co/0X1SBsKhEE 1 day ago
- Parvin defense puts focus on accidental discharge http://t.co/2csKg61IZh 2 days ago