Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
Lee Stoerzinger/FOR THE MONROE JOURNAL When we think about money, let’s be honest – we’re not talking about just money, but also a host of related consequences and deeply felt emotions. Money cuts to the emotional roots of every human issue. In my years of advising, I’ve come to understand that when we talk about […]
The term ‘nerd’ isn’t nearly as offensive as it once was. Rather than being synonymous with high IQs, pocket protectors and taped up black rimmed glasses, being a nerd carries the weight of popular culture and the thousands of unanswered questions surrounding it. Before websites, there were conventions full of science fiction nerds theorizing what […]
To the surprise of many, Dickie Scruggs, known as being a prominent trial attorney and a former federal prisoner following a guilty plea to judicial bribery, served as the keynote speaker for this year’s Monroe County of Commerce banquet last week. Reputations of people’s shortfalls are often times more memorable in others’ minds than their […]
It’s crazy to think that us ‘kids’ are carrying on adult conversations with you people now. Thinking back, there have been dozens of teachers, friends of family and upstanding citizens we used to literally look up to as children that we now see at eye level. Speaking for anybody who’s recently hit a growth spurt […]
Mississippi Tobacco Quitline provides personalized services Barry Mason, a paramedic for Choctaw County EMS, started using smokeless tobacco at age 13. Before he knew it, he was hooked. He tried to kick the habit dozens of times, but always fell short. At age 30, he was determined not to reach another milestone while still using […]
The “Greatest Generation” experienced the burgeoning of government and corporate pension and healthcare plans post-World War II, but baby boomers and later generations are facing the severe compromise of those benefits. While thousands of boomers reach retirement age every day, they will continue to take on more responsibility for providing income for their essential living […]
Watching the local news earlier last week of four shootings in two nights in Columbus hits close to home. Getting information as it came in about a shooting at an Aberdeen apartment complex last week drives that painful nail in even deeper. Who would have ever expected the news Monday of a second homicide? It […]
There’s always something to talk about; all you’ve got to do is flip on the TV to help get those conversation starters flowing. A couple of weeks ago, many Americans were introduced to a term they’d rarely, if ever, heard – affluenza. The word combination of ‘affluence’ and ‘influenza’ was recently in the spotlight in […]
To say that several of our local sons and local daughters have talent would be an understatement. Through this newspaper, we’ve applauded several of them for accomplishments big and small. Sometimes our parent newspaper, the Daily Journal, thinks those accomplishments are big enough for the rest of Northeast Mississippi to read about. Sometimes the Associated […]
- Complaint filed in U.S. District Court against former MCSO deputy February 3, 2016
- If it weren’t for second chances, we’d all be alone February 3, 2016
- Panthers get long-awaited hoops win February 6, 2016
- Six ways to talk about money with your family February 7, 2016
- East Amory students learn about Kuwait culture February 8, 2016
- Panthers victors in North half nailbiter February 9, 2016
- Aberdeen Retirement Alliance earns prestigious AARC Seal of Approval February 9, 2016
- Shelters and rescue groups strive to reconnect lost pets to owners February 9, 2016
- Democratic executive committee caucuses scheduled for Feb. 13 February 9, 2016
- Amory Community Garden meeting scheduled February 8, 2016
- Diva: Thank God I won't be called for jury duty on this...
- carrollwhite: Come to Aberdeen on our street you can smell it al...
- Kim Stringfield: There have been a lot of huskies come up missing i...
- Laurenda Provias Richardson: Very well written Ray !!! All the memories ... All...
- shanette: Good for MCSO! I hope this case will bring much ne...