Those big plays in the high school games are held onto as long as grudges in the small towns that host them. They’re the egotistical victories and snarky resentments that fill and eat at our cores for years in the small little worlds we live in day-to-day and year-to-year. In-state rivalries never fizzle out either, […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
By Devy Ferguson, director of the Amory Visitors Bureau By the time you read this, you’re accustomed to fall and its cooler temperatures and colorful foliage that are turning our thoughts toward the holiday season. As much as I love summertime, I am always relieved to see those hot, humid days retire! It’s time for […]
Do you remember your last encounter with the Mississippi Highway Patrol? Of course you do. Blue flashing lights, a moment of dread and then a handwritten invitation to deposit money into the state’s coffers. All too often our only encounter with officers of the Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol is the result of getting caught driving […]
By Mary Nell Dorris, executive director of First Friends Respite Care Center. Hopson and I were checking out with a huge basket of groceries. He suddenly said to the cashier, “Will you please page my wife?” I can still see her look in slow motion. First, she looked like she was going to tell him how […]
In a misinterpretation of an Oscar speech that stuck, Sally Field, in 1984, spouted off a variation of the famous saying, “You like me. You really, really like me,” as part of her acceptance speech for Best Actress for “Places in the Heart.” Five years later, America really liked her set in the backdrop of […]
Two of the most exciting activities in the fall are cheering on our favorite team and gardening. As temperatures begin to drop and rains become more frequent, some of us get excited about working in the garden again. Whether you are planting new shrubs and trees, replacing dead ones, or dividing existing plants, fall is […]
By Ruth Howell “The November Man” Rated: R Synopsis provided by movies.com: Based on Bill Granger’s novel “There Are No Spies” from the bestselling November Man book series, “The November Man” is the ultimate cat and mouse game set in the world of international espionage. Ruth’s review: An agent for the CIA was retiring and […]
By Carla Glasgow, honorary chairperson of First Friends’ Friends Walk. As a child growing up you always know that your parents love you and will always take care of you no matter what situations may occur. My brother Steven and I were raised at 104 South 6th Street here in Amory where Allen’s Big Star and the […]
Mary Nell Dorris It was a Saturday night, and the Saturday chores had made me ache all over. My back hurt, and I wanted to go to bed. Hopson was sitting on my bedside potty, and even though he had been there quite a while, he refused to get up. Every trick I had learned […]
- Unofficial results indicate Amory will remain dry October 15, 2014
- Nettleton woman arrested for Possession of Ice October 17, 2014
- Importance of Call Before You Dig campaign stressed to planning committee October 18, 2014
- Monroe County Career Technical Center holds annual fall festival October 18, 2014
- Monroe football scores: Week 9 October 17, 2014
- Kennedy, Edgeworth power Smithville in first round win October 21, 2014
- Jones gets revenge for Myrtle’s walks October 21, 2014
- Balanced Nettleton takes down North Pontotoc October 21, 2014
- ICC to present Homecoming Court Saturday October 21, 2014
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman October 21, 2014
- kyle ruff: I miss you...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- ICC to present Homecoming Court Saturday http://t.co/dnqnXXbzVB 1 hour ago
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman http://t.co/p4M3Y1mlMc 5 hours ago
- Hamilton man arrested for possession of a controlled substance http://t.co/OmWMMyrH1g 22 hours ago
- Amory police charge two with retaliation against a witness http://t.co/ZQCvJqW7wD 1 day ago
- Wall believes in quality and healthy food http://t.co/OSMeFeC8in 2 days ago