A few years ago a former co-worker at the hospital said she happened to notice my picture on one of these columns when she was lining her dog pen with newspapers. She checked it out and said she really liked it. I asked her which one it was and she said it was the one […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
Whether it’s reflecting on pre-drivers license days or daydreaming to the hopes of retirement years, a maze of trails, open fields and the splendors of nature can’t escape my thoughts. At some point or another, everybody can appreciate the sounds of the first drips of water from a paddle hitting a creek’s surface in the […]
I have been asked by several people to write and tell about how our new puppy (can a puppy weigh more than 65 lbs.) is doing. As you recall, we named him Dierk. I call him Dierk the Demon. Does that tell you anything? He was a year old on Sept. 19. I have heard […]
I spent much of last week researching an article that remains incomplete. As everyone knows, the alcohol referendum on Oct. 14 did not pass. As many of you know, there were approximately 205 more people who voted on the sale liquor than on the sale of beer and light wine category. As some of you […]
They were a couple of award winners who won over the community long before they smiled for the camera with plaques in their hands. Just in March of last year, Fred Robinson was honored with the Monroe County Chamber of Commerce’s Community Focus Award. Just a few months ago, Lawson Grimes was honored with a […]
By Carol Knight • Amory Main Street Director As we all know, places do not revitalize themselves. It is people working hard who help downtown areas fully maximize their potential and become communities of choice for residents and tourists alike. Amory Main Street cannot exist without strong community support and volunteers. I don’t consider any […]
Some childhood memories are simply glorious. I remember my brother and I getting dropped off at what was, at that time, the Amory Twin Cinema to watch “Back to the Future.” It was awesome, but nothing compared to when we went to Amory Twin to see “Little Shop of Horrors.” The crowded theater was filled […]
Throughout the entire alcohol issue in Amory, I would casually let people know I didn’t have a dog in that fight when the conversation pointed at that. I could see positives from both sides of the fence and wasn’t afraid to say that alcohol being an economic savior for the town and a complete demoralizer […]
Those big plays in the high school games are held onto as long as grudges in the small towns that host them. They’re the egotistical victories and snarky resentments that fill and eat at our cores for years in the small little worlds we live in day-to-day and year-to-year. In-state rivalries never fizzle out either, […]
- Local DAR monument 90 years old November 15, 2014
- Amory soccer splits with Oxford, sweeps Nettleton November 18, 2014
- Wicker speaks to Amory veterans’ breakfast November 19, 2014
- What’s your reason to quit? November 19, 2014
- Aberdeen School District reclaims its accreditation November 19, 2014
- Monroe football preview: Third round November 21, 2014
- Okolona man charged with grand theft of an automobile November 21, 2014
- Lions rally for opening game win at Hatley November 21, 2014
- Christmas parades help usher in holiday spirit November 21, 2014
- AHS gains, more public involvement among P16 talking points November 21, 2014
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
- D. K.: Anyone knows that the more evil of the two is hard...
- Okolona man charged with grand theft of an automobile http://t.co/S5TeJWvHsZ 7 hours ago
- Christmas parades help usher in holiday spirit http://t.co/MHbLHnO69R 16 hours ago
- AHS gains, more public involvement among P16 talking points http://t.co/RPOVyLVqqg 16 hours ago
- Aberdeen man charged with child molestation http://t.co/39M4ZoQJQE 2 days ago
- Aberdeen lands three major fishing tournaments http://t.co/Aqjp5miXju 3 days ago