For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma Society selected Debbie Fenstermacher as its Red Rose Recipient. She has been married to Loren Fenstermacher for 40 years. The couple has two children and five grandchildren. Fenstermacher has worked for Hamilton Schools for 26 years. She spent seven years as an […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
ABERDEEN – A week ahead of Easter Day, the Junior Women’s League will host an Easter egg hunt at the Magnolias April 13 from 2 until 4 p.m. “The Junior Women’s League came together and talked about how we could be a service to the community and we wanted to offer something for children and […]
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – The program of the February meeting of Flower Lovers Garden Club was floral arrangement. The club thanks Sally Prude for allowing members to use a large arrangement she placed in First United Methodist Church the previous Sunday for a demonstration. Geneva Moon, Valerie Jaynes, June Roberts and Bennie Hutto […]
AMORY – When it comes to the southern staple we call the fish plate, Monroe Countians have decided that Stanford’s is the place to go. Mississippi farm-raised catfish is delivered daily to Stanford’s where it’s deep fried to golden perfection. “We cook our fish by feel, not time,” said co-owner Brad Stanford. Stanford’s Drive-In Restaurant […]
AMORY – Ten-year-old Leah Hood of Amory has been cooking since she was about five years old. When in first grade, she helped her aunt make a Dr. Seuss cake for her class. “I have always liked to experiment and make things. Some are not good and some work out really well. Sometimes I follow […]
For the Monroe Journal What does an inmate serving a life sentence in a maximum security prison in Louisiana and a group of middle school, high school and college students from Mississippi have in common? In this case, a common desire to spread the word of God to the least of his flock. And that […]
SMITHVILLE – If hard work is any indication of longevity, then 103-year-old Idra Lee Williams Young of Smithville would win a trophy. She will do something that few people do, celebrate her 104th birthday on Thursday, March 27. Born in 1910, Young was one of 12 children. She had a twin sister that died at […]
AMORY – While Spring Break means fun in the sun for most students, Meadowood Baptist Church youth spent their holiday ministering to others in Amory. Bright and early on March 10, a group of youth kicked off Spring Break at Golden Living Center, where they repainted the fence and brick walk. “This enhances the area […]
ABERDEEN – Spring Creek Missionary Baptist Church pitched in time and muscle March 8 to help further shape General Young Park as part of its community ministry. Its youth followed up March 13 with a Spring Break program for city officials with singing, miming and a performance by Nashville-based country singer Aaron Vance. The church’s […]
- Residents brainstorm to strategize for future of Aberdeen August 26, 2014
- Empower Mississippi forum set for Sept. 4 August 29, 2014
- ICC schedules CPR/AED class August 29, 2014
- Panthers surge in second half at Independence August 29, 2014
- Bulldogs light up scoreboard in Shannon August 29, 2014
- Milkshakes have been with McDonald’s from its humble beginnings September 2, 2014
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 53 of nation’s newest citizens September 1, 2014
- MHP issues statewide Amber Alert August 31, 2014
- Kimbrough’s cooking comes from a country raising August 31, 2014
- Lady Panthers win Monroe County tourney August 30, 2014
- Doug Cuthbert: You are correct I am not registered to vote here. ...
- weedeater: Great job for Amory's new mayor! Shoot down the ...
- Frank James: How in the hell was he not charged with intent to ...
- Fred G Sanford: Get Greg Beason to sell some of the scrap junk he ...
- MeriemDZ: Fourteen years ago I walked up on the porch of the...
- Milkshakes have been with McDonald’s from its humble beginnings http://t.co/t7KRxTILuk 3 hours ago
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 53 of nation’s newest citizens http://t.co/Ydb28CVRkC 21 hours ago
- MHP issues statewide Amber Alert http://t.co/If2YMG629e 1 day ago
- Kimbrough’s cooking comes from a country raising http://t.co/rLDsyxJ1g8 2 days ago
- Bond set for subjects arrested in standoff http://t.co/o4sWQh7iBe 3 days ago