For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma Society selected Debbie Fenstermacher as its Red Rose Recipient. She has been married to Loren Fenstermacher for 40 years. The couple has two children and five grandchildren. Fenstermacher has worked for Hamilton Schools for 26 years. She spent seven years as an […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
ABERDEEN – A week ahead of Easter Day, the Junior Women’s League will host an Easter egg hunt at the Magnolias April 13 from 2 until 4 p.m. “The Junior Women’s League came together and talked about how we could be a service to the community and we wanted to offer something for children and […]
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – The program of the February meeting of Flower Lovers Garden Club was floral arrangement. The club thanks Sally Prude for allowing members to use a large arrangement she placed in First United Methodist Church the previous Sunday for a demonstration. Geneva Moon, Valerie Jaynes, June Roberts and Bennie Hutto […]
AMORY – When it comes to the southern staple we call the fish plate, Monroe Countians have decided that Stanford’s is the place to go. Mississippi farm-raised catfish is delivered daily to Stanford’s where it’s deep fried to golden perfection. “We cook our fish by feel, not time,” said co-owner Brad Stanford. Stanford’s Drive-In Restaurant […]
AMORY – Ten-year-old Leah Hood of Amory has been cooking since she was about five years old. When in first grade, she helped her aunt make a Dr. Seuss cake for her class. “I have always liked to experiment and make things. Some are not good and some work out really well. Sometimes I follow […]
For the Monroe Journal What does an inmate serving a life sentence in a maximum security prison in Louisiana and a group of middle school, high school and college students from Mississippi have in common? In this case, a common desire to spread the word of God to the least of his flock. And that […]
SMITHVILLE – If hard work is any indication of longevity, then 103-year-old Idra Lee Williams Young of Smithville would win a trophy. She will do something that few people do, celebrate her 104th birthday on Thursday, March 27. Born in 1910, Young was one of 12 children. She had a twin sister that died at […]
AMORY – While Spring Break means fun in the sun for most students, Meadowood Baptist Church youth spent their holiday ministering to others in Amory. Bright and early on March 10, a group of youth kicked off Spring Break at Golden Living Center, where they repainted the fence and brick walk. “This enhances the area […]
ABERDEEN – Spring Creek Missionary Baptist Church pitched in time and muscle March 8 to help further shape General Young Park as part of its community ministry. Its youth followed up March 13 with a Spring Break program for city officials with singing, miming and a performance by Nashville-based country singer Aaron Vance. The church’s […]
- Man accused of killing dog with bow and arrow arrested January 23, 2015
- Salute to Service awards honor two impactful individuals January 21, 2015
- Majority of Coontail, Wren customers vote ‘no’ to merger January 25, 2015
- Kimbrough’s concoctions prove she likes to cook a little of this and a little of that January 25, 2015
- Getting newspapers into the hands of students through NIE January 26, 2015
- Independent movie makes local stop on film tour January 28, 2015
- Gulf Ordnance Plant to be featured on National Geographic Channel series January 28, 2015
- Amory enters garbage collection service with the county January 28, 2015
- Lady Lions cruise in division road win January 27, 2015
- Amory man arrested on breaking and entering charge January 27, 2015
- Michael Hontz: An eye for an eye leaves the world blind....
- Michael Hontz: He's not been convicted yet and you people have h...
- Barbara: I wonder what ever prompts a human being to be so ...
- Chris Madden: Its is ridiculous that the punishment for murderin...
- Trent: When are states going to do the right thing and ge...