By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – There are ribbons in not only pink, but printed in several colors representing several cancers tightly wound around sections of a windmill in the yard of Frank and Linda Record on the corner of Jefferson and James streets. A subject close to her heart, she thought the […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Alice Ortiz Monroe Journal AMORY – East Amory Elementary School fourth-graders hosted a Breast Cancer Awareness Walk Oct. 8 to honor those who have fought and beat breast cancer and those who continue the fight to beat it. The walk also paid tribute to those who fought valiantly against the disease and lost. Students dressed […]
By Alice Ortiz Monroe Journal WREN – Beverly Haney had a mammogram in January 2014, and it came back fine. She noticed some changes in her breast and in April 2014, she went to her gynecologist, who immediately sent her to the Breast Health Center in Tupelo the same day. She was scheduled for a […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal HAMILTON – Hamilton athletics will spread the message of breast cancer awareness Oct. 23 before its home football game against West Lowndes High School, beginning with the honoring of five school employees who are breast cancer survivors. The faculty members will be the honorary team captains and will flip […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Daniel Baptist Church will take the lead in spreading not only breast cancer awareness, but awareness of all cancers Oct. 24 with a walk through downtown. “On a united front, cancer is riddling everybody’s house. I’ve heard of cancer in Monroe County and in Aberdeen,” said Maddie […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – In observance of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Pioneer Community Hospital will host a free luncheon at First United Methodist Church Oct. 28 at noon. The Paint the Hospital Pink annual ladies luncheon will be held at the church’s fellowship hall. Door prizes will be available. Speakers include […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal HAMILTON – It’s hard not to get a smile out of Mary Carter. No matter the ways breast cancer has tested her, she keeps saying ‘yes’ to pretty much any favor asked, volunteering in her community and reminding herself that the Lord kept her here for a purpose. ”Cancer […]
For the Monroe Journal October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is the perfect time to discuss the importance of mammography. Because breast cancer is often detectable in its early stages when there’s a good chance for a cure, screening is essential to early detection. Most significantly, mammography can identify tumors even before they […]
By Alice Ortiz Monroe Journal AMORY – Amory surgeon Dr. Hoat Hoang presented a seminar at Merit Gilmore Memorial Hospital Oct. 5 entitled “Mammograms and You.” “This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. Some of you are breast cancer survivors, some are going through it now,” said Hoang. “I want […]
- All the gas money saved couldn’t have matched the nostalgia of cruising June 22, 2016
- Landmark designation sought for Hatley School June 27, 2016
- Four Miss Mississippi hopefuls representing Monroe County June 22, 2016
- Hatley’s Thomas already at home going into season June 24, 2016
- Rivals to roommates: Kennedy, Thompson form lasting friendship through ICC softball June 24, 2016
- New Aberdeen School Board to be sworn-in Friday June 28, 2016
- MCSO makes separate auto burglary, land fill burglary arrests June 28, 2016
- Applications available for MCSO summer youth mentoring program June 28, 2016
- Conservator OKs board policies June 28, 2016
- Shooting sends one to Aberdeen hospital June 27, 2016
- Carroll White: Would love to see this happen for the Hatley Schoo...
- Chad Houston: Great article!!! The event called "Cruisin' Amor...
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....
- Carlos Ann Sanders: Congratulations to the Amory Panthers and to Coach...
- Anti-bigot: This article is a joke just like this county and t...