ABERDEEN – Even though the Aberdeen branch of Renasant Bank officially marks its 30th birthday May 7, it chimed in on recognizing the bank’s 110th birthday on Feb. 28. Started as People’s Bank and Trust Company in Tupelo on Feb. 27, 1904, the Mississippi-only bank expanded into Alabama and Tennessee in 2005. Around that time, […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
AMORY – The results are in! Monroe Countians have voted on who makes the best burger in the county and the winner is Bill’s Hamburgers. “I think what makes our burgers so great is that we grind our meat fresh everyday,” said grillmaster James Wilkerson. Founded in 1929, the folks at Bill’s Hamburgers pride themselves […]
ABERDEEN – In January, a sense of doom and gloom swept through town as Big Star, LeRoux, A Southern Heritage Restaurant and Cato closed their doors. A new batch of businesses are in the works to add a sense of retail renaissance. “It can effect the psyche of people when that store front that was […]
Coming from his most recent role with the Mississippi Development Authority, William ‘Skip’ Scaggs took the wheel of the Monroe County Chamber of Commerce in early February as executive director. He brings enthusiasm, experience and a list of industry connections to his new position as head of the county’s economic development engine. The Monroe Journal’s […]
SMITHVILLE – Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley said an extension through 2014, and in some instances beyond 2014, of utility rate incentives aimed at Mississippi small businesses has been renewed. To date, the incentives have helped more than 1,100 Mississippi “mom and pop” businesses save more than $400,000 in utility costs. The “Small Business Rate […]
SMITHVILLE – A little more than four months have passed since plans were finalized for Smithville’s new grocery store. Those plans will materialize as Postell’s Meat Market will officially open for business Thursday, Feb. 6. Smithville has been without a grocery store since an April 2011 tornado demolished a large portion of the town, including […]
TUPELO — Belinda Foster, indigent reimbursement coordinator for Outpatient Infusion, was named December’s Employee of the Month for North Mississippi Medical Center. A graduate of Nettleton High School, Foster first joined NMMC as a full-time employee in 1994 working in the Pharmacy at the Main Unit. She served as ward secretary and later as a […]
AMORY – A fundraiser for Amory Main Street’s spring beautification projects has kicked off recently. It includes a three-day, two-night stay at a bed and breakfast, as well as other prizes from local merchants. “Our goal is to have three or four of these a year to help with the improvement of our downtown area,” […]
ABERDEEN – The doors closed Jan. 18 to a long-standing franchise while a couple of locally-owned businesses have recently closed up shop with another quickly approaching. Cato Fashions, which has anchored the Upper Deck shopping plaza since it was built, closed during the weekend. Numerous calls to Cato’s corporate office in North Carolina to confirm […]
- SMCCF taking applications for annual grants March 4, 2014
- ASD community engagement council outlines ways to bridge school district, community divide March 7, 2014
- Ideas generated for Livable Communities grant March 7, 2014
- Parvin defense puts focus on accidental discharge March 7, 2014
- Lann goes the distance as Noles top Panthers March 7, 2014
- Hairstyle inspires ‘hippie’ on path through retail fashion world March 11, 2014
- Presley’s town hall meeting tour comes through county March 11, 2014
- Jury finds Parvin guilty in second murder trial March 10, 2014
- West Point man arrested on drug charge March 10, 2014
- MCSO hosts wheelchair drive March 10, 2014
- ForAmory\'sGrowth: All that has been said is that the voters need to ...
- ForAmory\'sGrowth: I want to support you! I did check the records of...
- Doug Cuthbert: My son Josh Cuthbert and I own property in Amory a...
- itspersonal: Since the end of the conflict in 1865 we in the So...
- itspersonal: The records of Amory City Clerk Lee Barnett show t...
- Hairstyle inspires ‘hippie’ on path through retail fashion world http://t.co/9XLMrW5gEl 2 hours ago
- Presley’s town hall meeting tour comes through county http://t.co/xuKYgJmvJQ 56 mins ago
- Jury finds Parvin guilty in second murder trial http://t.co/H13yUQd9XZ 11 hours ago
- West Point man arrested on drug charge http://t.co/n2fxpj2Pzv 16 hours ago
- MCSO hosts wheelchair drive http://t.co/bnwivJq9WT 16 hours ago