By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal Nettleton senior Hayden Guin will continue his baseball career next season, signing on Friday to play for Itawamba Community College. Guin, a left-handed pitcher, helped lead the Tigers to the 3A North finals last year where they fell in three games to eventual state champion Kossuth. Nettleton coach Will Hawkins […]
About Melissa Meador
Author Archive | Melissa Meador
By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal Hatley catcher Mary Kathryn Reeves will take her softball career to the next level, signing on Thursday to play next season at Itawamba Community College. “I’m really excited because I’ve worked a long time for this,” Reeves said on Thursday. “It’s a great opportunity to have because not many people […]
By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal AMORY – Aberdeen completed the sweep of the county tournament titles as the Bulldogs closed out the weekend with a 62-28 win over host Amory to take the boys’ championship for the second year in a row. It was the second dominating win of the weekend for the Bulldogs (14-2), […]
by David Wheeler Special to the Journal SALTILLO – The Saltillo boys broke won its first Lee County championship in decades in blowout fashion but the Nettleton girls had to rally in a game that saw five fourth-quarter ties on Saturday. Nettleton’s Jabria Pounds sank two free throws with 41 seconds left and the Tigers […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – The Smithville Seminoles fought off a tough TCPS team on Tuesday night and pulled out a 10-point, division-opening win, 50-40, with a strong finish. Neither teams managed more than a two-point lead in the opening quarter as the teams matched bucket-for-bucket. The Eagles took a steal […]
By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal AMORY – The Amory Lady Panthers secured their playoff spot on Tuesday night with a 1-0 win over Pontotoc, then turned around and claimed the Division 2-4A title on Friday with a 4-1 road win at Caledonia. The Lady Panthers will host a first round playoff game next week. “It’s […]
Basketball Friday (G) West Point 61, Aberdeen 40 Kirstin Metcalf scored 11 points for the Lady Bulldogs in the loss. (B) Aberdeen 58, West Point 51 Marcus Carouthers led the Bulldogs with 22 points in the win. Queshod Young chipped in with 12 points. (G) Shannon 75, Amory 33 Ashley Thompson scored 10 points for […]
SMITHVILLE – Smithville boys’ basketball coach Nick Coln has seen his team start out slow much of the season. On Friday, the Noles didn’t let a slow start stop them from pulling out a 52-42 win over county rival Hatley. “We’ve started every game, 15 games now, slow,” Coln said. “It seems like our first, […]
By David Wheeler Special to the Journal NETTLETON – Teams termed as underdogs can be highly motivated. How about undercats? The Calhoun City Lady Wildcats moved to 11-1 on the season after a last-second shot Friday, a 66-64 win over the Nettleton Lady Tigers. “We knew this was going to be a tough, game but […]
- AmeriCorps stint gives opportunities for personal accomplishments January 19, 2015
- Parent academy launch weeks away for Aberdeen School District January 23, 2015
- Silver Alert cancelled for missing Columbus man January 23, 2015
- Aberdeen woman charged with meth possession January 23, 2015
- Man accused of killing dog with bow and arrow arrested January 23, 2015
- Wounded warriors build on family time through nonprofit January 26, 2015
- Getting newspapers into the hands of students through NIE January 26, 2015
- Kimbrough’s concoctions prove she likes to cook a little of this and a little of that January 25, 2015
- Majority of Coontail, Wren customers vote ‘no’ to merger January 25, 2015
- Nettleton pitcher Guin signs with ICC January 24, 2015
- Diva: Nothing like doing the meth with the kids!...
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...