AMORY – After Tuesday night’s 3-1 win over Itawamba AHS and losses for the Lady Indians and Pontotoc on Thursday, Amory is sitting in the catbird’s seat to win the Division 1-4A fast-pitch crown. In Tuesday night’s pitching battle, Josie Booth limited Itawamba to just one run on six hits while walking two and striking […]
About Melissa Meador
Author Archive | Melissa Meador
NETTLETON – After six straight fast-pitch softball state championship appearances, Nettleton’s offense gets plenty of attention. It was its defense that shined on Tuesday to help pull out a 9-1 win over North Pontotoc to keep their control of Division 4-3A. The Lady Tigers turned three double plays early to keep the Lady Vikings off […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Smithville has clinched its division title, but that’s not the goal for the Lady Seminoles. Smithville (17-6) still has the fresh taste of losing in last season’s Class 1A North finals against West Union and wants another taste of 2012’s state championship. One key to that run is the meat […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal NETTLETON – Kaleigh Tackett was chasing foul balls when Nettleton’s string of six straight Class 3A fast pitch championship series began. Now, with fellow seniors Lauren Baldwyn and MariAnna Young, Nettleton is seeking a seventh shot and a fourth title. There are multiple keys to Nettleton’s success, but one underlying […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal NETTLETON – The Nettleton Lady Tigers hosted a fastpitch tournament last Saturday and wrapped the event up with a pair of wins over Hamilton and Smithville. Nettleton 8, Hamilton 1 Taylor Hyland started the game with a base hit and was bunted to second base by Raimi Bryan. […]
BY BRANDON SPECK Daily Journal NETTLETON – Pontotoc junior Chandler Gates caught Smithville off-guard all day with nasty pitches in a 7-1 victory in six innings at the Nettleton Tournament on Saturday. “Chandler mixed it up well. She’s a North all-star for a reason,” Smithville coach Jeremy Duke said. Duke will be coaching Gates in […]
By Sam Baker For the Monroe Journal AMORY – Hoping to take their Division 1-4A record to 3-2, the Amory Panthers gave the ball to Cole Robinson hoping he could deliver. The senior answered the call, helping Amory take the wire-to-wire 7-1 victory on Thursday night. In support of their starter, the Panthers scored 7 […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The Nettleton Tigers scored 36 runs on Friday in taking two games against the young, inexperienced Aberdeen Bulldogs in Division 4-3A baseball. In the first game, a 16-0 win, Nettleton centerfielder Levert Jernigan reached on a walk leading off and scored the Tigers’ first run on […]
By Zac Carlisle Monroe Journal HATLEY – After getting swept by division rival New Site and county rival Smithville last week, the Hatley Tigers (6-13, 2-4) were looking for some kind of spark to get themselves back on the right track for their playoff hopes. They found it on Thursday night with a 7-2 Division […]
- Reflections of festival bring to mind the tacky and the classy April 17, 2014
- Amory runner reclaims motivation through RR Festival 5K April 21, 2014
- West Point man charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon April 21, 2014
- Former police officer dies from complications from bike accident April 21, 2014
- Gordon completes Boston Marathon April 21, 2014
- Workshop guides direction for Livable Communities grant April 24, 2014
- School board sets higher standards for val/sal status April 24, 2014
- The most ominous time of the year could be anytime, anywhere April 24, 2014
- Mississippi Highway Patrol issues amber alert for missing child April 23, 2014
- MCSO participates in Drug Take Back Initiative April 23, 2014
- former runner: I hope this program will get the financial support...
- Ronald: The pic your looking at is a different a Joshua an...
- DSG: I don't see a scratch on him??? Was that picture ...
- Here for Now: It's not like at least half the town isn't drink...
- Isn\'t This the 21st Century: Bishop Freeman I've eaten at O'charleys, Chilis,...
- Workshop guides direction for Livable Communities grant http://t.co/5MsJOJHXXd 2 hours ago
- School board sets higher standards for val/sal status http://t.co/WaglgQcXks 1 hour ago
- The most ominous time of the year could be anytime, anywhere http://t.co/utYeeVxVDe 50 mins ago
- Mississippi Highway Patrol issues amber alert for missing child http://t.co/ExR5YqCmVy 15 hours ago
- MCSO participates in Drug Take Back Initiative http://t.co/2Yx2NLJ0R3 17 hours ago