By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal Makenzie Hawkins could have more state championship rings than her hands will hold by the time her college softball career is over. The former Nettleton standout, who won five state titles with the Lady Tigers – two slow-pitch and three fast-pitch – picked up her second straight state championship at […]
About Melissa Meador
Author Archive | Melissa Meador
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HOOVER, Ala. – Channing Ward was always the best player on the field at Aberdeen High School. One of the jewels of Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze’s first recruiting class at defensive end, he is still finding his place with the Rebels. Freeze said Thursday from SEC Media Days it […]
Hatley found itself out of the Class 2A playoffs for the first time in the last three seasons but finished the 2014 season with one advantage – they return all but one starter for next season. “I feel like that’s definitely one thing that helped us have a good summer,” Hatley coach John Harris said […]
Amory lost three key pieces that helped it capture the Division 1-4A fast-pitch crown this summer. Lady Panthers coach Amir Hunt is getting a head start on finding who will fill those spots with his young team competing in the ICC/Mooreville summer softball league. The league wrapped up last Monday with Amory falling to East […]
Nettleton coach Will Hawkins set up a busy summer baseball season for his Tigers, who were a game away from the Class 3A state championship this past season. The Tigers, however, will be missing a few key pieces from that team, including starting pitcher J.J. Chaney and outfielders Levert Jernigan and Jacob Green. “We lost […]
NEW ALBANY – Amory found the offense it lacked in the regional round of the annual NEMCABB summer baseball tournament in the first game of the championship round on Monday. After getting swept in the regional round at Fulton on Thursday and Friday, the Panthers pounded out 10 hits in five innings of a 9-1 […]
AMORY – Amory coach Chad Williams wasn’t happy with his team’s 7-21 regular season record and missing the playoffs in 2014. So the Panthers are making some changes to their summer baseball schedule – dividing up into two teams composed equally of varsity and junior varsity players and playing at least three days a week […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal OKOLONA – Aberdeen rising junior Jerrick Orr is drawing a lot of attention online. Just wait until they see him in person. Attention has come by way of video on Hudl – a recruiting website – and while there are no offers as of yet, the list of inquirers includes […]
Hamilton sprinter Keshon Heard had a state title within his grasp as a freshman in the 100-meter dash, finishing in third to current Ole Miss football player Kailo Moore in Class 2A last year. This year, Heard left them all in his dust, sweeping the division, regional and North state meets, then having no one […]
- Pro-alcohol group turns in needed number of signatures July 23, 2014
- Alley access subject of neighborhood quarrel July 24, 2014
- The freedom to speak and the freedom to speak freely July 24, 2014
- Umfress named vice president of student affairs July 26, 2014
- Health department awards tobacco-free coalitions grant July 27, 2014
- MHP issues Silver Alert for missing 66-year-old July 29, 2014
- Mississippi’s early migratory game bird seasons announced July 29, 2014
- W student accepted into Rural Physicians Scholarship Program July 29, 2014
- Depot project calls for volunteers with project expertise July 29, 2014
- Your neighbor: Mary Myers July 28, 2014
- Michael Hontz: Wow this a joke. This paper cares nothing about p...
- Meia: Hi ...
- Cletus Snow: #1, my name isn't John, Cletus or Snow. #2, I nev...
- Guest: 1st of all, my name is "John"... Nor is it reall...
- Jason: Ya know i grew up in Amory and more than half of t...
- MHP issues Silver Alert for missing 66-year-old http://t.co/wkNgtr8aga 2 hours ago
- Mississippi’s early migratory game bird seasons announced http://t.co/FU4XfV4tbm 8 hours ago
- W student accepted into Rural Physicians Scholarship Program http://t.co/MezT3Uae50 9 hours ago
- Depot project calls for volunteers with project expertise http://t.co/J8357h1z0d 9 hours ago
- Your neighbor: Mary Myers http://t.co/MSptogVu2s 1 day ago