MARIETTA – Hatley is finally heading to the postseason. The longest tenured school in Northeast Mississippi without a playoff appearance, Hatley (5-5, 2-2 Division 1-2A) sealed its first in school history with a 20-14 win over New Site on Thursday. “These young men have come so far in two years. It’s amazing what they’ve bought […]
About Melissa Meador
Author Archive | Melissa Meador
FALKNER – Falkner and Smithville slugged it out to the end to gain an edge in a tight Division 1-1A race. Jeramie Lawrence’s 42-yard touchdown with 2:25 to go lifted Falkner (6-3, 4-2) to a 26-19 win over Smithville to put them back in the hunt to host first round. “I thought when he made […]
After Friday’s surprising 38-12 loss to Coldwater, Hamilton finds itself with its back against the wall along with county rival Smithville into securing one of the final playoff spots. It marked back-to-back shocking wins for the Cougars, who edged out Falkner the week before. “We had too many turnovers, and we didn’t play very well,” […]
RIDGELAND – Smithville’s five seniors – Lane Kennedy, Breanna Edgeworth, Laken Armstrong, Claire McNeese and Ashtyn Hensley – capped off a stellar slow-pitch softball career by adding their third state championship in four years. The Lady Noles (30-6) grabbed a two-game sweep of Sebastopol, 5-1 and 12-8, to win Class 1A again after back-to-back titles […]
By Gene Phelps and Melissa Meador Daily Journal RIDGELAND – Harley Tucker, the bases filled with Nettleton base runners, belted a screaming line drive deep to center field at Freedom Ridge Park. She needed it to go 250 feet. Instead it traveled about 248 and into the glove of Philadelphia outfielder Kenyatta Moore for the […]
By Brandon Speck and Melissa Meador Monroe Journal RIDGELAND – The big hit eluded Hatley. Errors did not. East Webster took advantage and won the first slow-pitch championship in school history. East Webster swept Hatley, 7-3 and 1-0 in the Class 2A state championship series on Saturday at Freedom Ridge Park. “Second game, we really […]
RIDGELAND – Errors plagued Amory at the wrong time in its Class 4A slow-pitch softball state championship loss on Saturday. Newton County (32-3) capitalized on four Amory (27-9) errors in the last two innings of a back-and-forth Game 1 for a 10-7 win, then rode 10 Lady Panther miscues to a 16-1 five-inning victory in […]
SMITHVILLE – Smithville slugged its way back to the Class 1A state championship series. In a 2-0 sweep that featured 31 home runs, the Lady Noles (28-6) topped rival and defending state champion Hamilton 16-8 and 36-24 to seal their trip to Ridgeland. “They’ve been a thorn in our side starting last year, and we […]
BY BRANDON SPECK Daily Journal IUKA – Amory isn’t sending its seniors off in style – the Lady Panthers don’t have any seniors. With Tuesday’s 10-9 and 7-6 sweep at Tishomingo County, Amory is making its second straight trip to the Class 4A slow-pitch championship. “It says a lot about our girls to be able […]
- Miss Mississippi State University crowned at best time to be a Bulldog October 24, 2014
- The Windows taking applications for fifth annual holiday market October 28, 2014
- Main Street Moment: The holidays are upon us October 29, 2014
- Locally made indie horror film arrives in time for Halloween October 29, 2014
- Certified results of alcohol referendum released October 29, 2014
- Tigers secure trip to postseason October 30, 2014
- Noles fall at Falkner October 30, 2014
- Bond set for two subjects charged in recent ICE bust October 30, 2014
- Lions shocked by Coldwater, lose ground in division race October 30, 2014
- Safety tips important for Halloween October 30, 2014
- Charlotte: Heartbroken taking my kids there every week, means...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- Bond set for two subjects charged in recent ICE bust http://t.co/yHYzef2FQI 4 hours ago
- RT @cityofamoryMS: @monroe360 5-7 Frisco Park Funraiser Festival! Chili Cookoff, pumpkins, entertainment, Trick-or-Treat, costume contest, … 5 hours ago retweeted via cityofamoryMS
- Safety tips important for Halloween http://t.co/nJirG1Fv2C 11 hours ago
- Supervisors OK new 911 system, opt out of building codes http://t.co/LwLXAhscTL 11 hours ago
- Pioneer offers candy X-rays http://t.co/oyIRmrJonw 11 hours ago