The Hamilton track team had a strong showing at last week’s division meet, with the girls’ team placing in second and the boys’ team finishing third. On the boys’ side, Hamilton speedster Keshon Heard won the 100-meters, 200-meters and 400-meters. Hamilton track coach Sue Verner said they have been trying Heard at longer events. “We […]
About Melissa Meador
Author Archive | Melissa Meador
For the Monroe Journal County archery teams competed at the state championship meet in Jackson on Wednesday, and three placed in the top four in their respective classes. In Class 1A, Smithville placed third behind Tremont and Pine Grove with 3199 points. Brock Kennedy was the top finisher in Class 1A and second among all […]
The Amory tennis team has reached a milestone – qualifying for the playoffs for the first time since the system was implemented in 2009. They took a first-round loss on the road at Cleveland on Monday in their first playoff appearance. “They’ve been really motivated this year, and I think next year, we’re going to […]
Powerlifting Three area schools had lifters who won powerlifting state titles at Saturday’s powerliftting state meet. Amory senior Michael Loyd made it two years in a row, winning the gold in the 242-pound class for Class 4A boys. Hatley junior Rachel Hissong and Smithville sophomore Daniel Smith also won gold medals on Saturday with Hissong […]
PONTOTOC/FULTON – Grabbing one win on the road in a tough Division 1-4A is a tall enough task. The Amory Panthers doubled the sweetness of victory on Monday, by sweeping the top two teams in their region with a 5-3 win at Pontotoc and an 9-4 nightcap clincher of Itawamba AHS. “I’m proud of all […]
NETTLETON – In a tough matchup for both teams just a week before the playoffs start for each, the Nettleton Lady Tigers pulled away late from Hatley for a 9-2 win on Monday afternoon. “We’ve been off a week, and I could tell early we were having trouble with our approach at the plate,” Nettleton […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal HAMILTON – “Finally,” Hamilton coach Bryan Loague said. “We have been preaching to these girls all season to take a different approach at the plate – to be more aggressive. The lesson finally kicked in tonight.” The Lady Lions pounded out 18 hits as they downed the IAHS […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal HATLEY – It was raining when the game started, and it was raining when the game ended, but the Hatley Tigers didn’t let the sogginess dampen their spirits as they downed Baldwyn 4-0 last Tuesday to clinch their division. Lefthander Clay Pearson took the mound for the Tigers […]
BY GENE PHELPS DAILY JOURNAL NETTLETON – Dana Rhea wasn’t ready to proclaim Nettleton the Division 4-3A champion last Tuesday night. He was quite reluctant moments after his team defeated North Pontotoc 6-0 to improve to 15-2 overall and 8-0 in division play with two games remaining. “There’s still softball to be played,” the Lady […]
- Aberdeen students win in countywide poster, essay contests April 20, 2015
- Positive talk recurring theme for P16 Council meeting April 24, 2015
- Blessing of the Bikes reaches out to cyclists, novice and hardcore April 24, 2015
- Lady Lions get aggressive to pound Lady Indians April 24, 2015
- Nettleton edges away late against Hatley April 24, 2015
- Speaking of Mississippi’s Toughest Kids April 26, 2015
- Riverview Garden Club hosts luncheon during pilgrimage April 26, 2015
- Track teams have strong showing at division meets April 25, 2015
- County teams place at archery state April 25, 2015
- Amory tennis team qualifies for playoffs April 25, 2015
- Linda Brown Pearce: I so enjoyed the Railroal Festival! I only got to ...
- michelle harris: Thank you for this great article on our Craig Wayn...
- michelle harris: What a fantastic article about our Craig Wayne Boy...
- Ed Harden: Coach Pierce is the best man I have ever known. T...
- Laurenda: Hats Off to MCSD !!!! GLAD JUSTICE IS SERVED FOR O...