By Rob Williams Monroe Journal AMORY – In football language it’s called a “4-2” scrimmage. Four teams are invited and each plays two halves against two of the other teams. On Thursday night, the Amory Panthers hosted Kossuth, Booneville and Mantachie in a “4-2.” The Panthers opened the evening with a half against Kossuth and […]
About Melissa Meador
Author Archive | Melissa Meador
The Aberdeen Bulldogs graduate their longtime starting quarterback Josh Williams, but in their spring game over Okolona on Thursday, the offense didn’t miss a beat. The Bulldogs’ offense pounded out six touchdowns to trounce the Chieftains, and incoming senior Tramonte Prather showed his poise at quarterback. “He did really well for us throwing the football,” […]
Hatley shortstop Jonathan Waycaster will take his game to the next level, signing on Wednesday to play baseball for Itawamba Community College. Waycaster helped lead the Tigers to a North finals appearance this season. “I think seeing the campus and knowing a lot of the players that are going to be playing next year helped […]
Amory senior Ashley Thompson will take her basketball game to the next level, signing last Wednesday to play for Pearl River Community College next year. “I’m really excited about signing, and it’s really a blessing,” Thompson said. “I was traveling to different colleges and trying out, and this one I really liked in particular.” Thompson […]
Dana Rhea has been a part of a Nettleton softball dynasty for much of his 15-year career. Now he’s headed to try to build the same at Tupelo High School. Rhea was approved as the next Tupelo fast-pitch and slow-pitch softball coach last week, one of the hardest decision he said he’s made in his […]
Hamilton football coach Ray Weeks is hanging up his whistle after 11 seasons. Weeks, who led the Lions to their first playoff win since 1986 back in 2013, has accepted the principal job at Nettleton Junior High School. “I wasn’t really actively looking, but this job came open and was too good to pass up,” […]
RIDGELAND – Smithville’s five seniors have seen their softball careers come full circle. The Lady Nole seniors – Lane Kennedy, Breanna Edgeworth, Laken Armstrong, Claire McNeese and Ashtyn Hensley – finished off their freshman years with a Class 1A fast-pitch state title. On Saturday, they completed their high school careers in the same fashion, sweeping […]
HATLEY – The Hatley Tigers took control early and appeared to be ready to even up their Class 2A North finals series with East Webster. Then, the Wolverines’ bats woke up. Hatley (20-10) led 7-1 early, but saw East Webster make a comeback for an 10-7 win to sweep the series and punch their ticket […]
By Rob Williams For the Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – Heading into Friday’s Game 3 of the North state finals, Smithville coach Steve Kerr was concerned about his pitching. To reach the finals, the Noles had used a lot of pitchers and were concerned about tired and sore arms. Just before the deciding game, Kerr called […]
- Nettleton third-graders lead county in reading assessment May 20, 2015
- Amory basketball’s Thompson inks with Pearl River College May 23, 2015
- Hatley shortstop Waycaster makes it official with ICC May 23, 2015
- Important crop insurance deadline nearing for Mississippi producers May 24, 2015
- Offense shines in Bulldogs’ spring game May 24, 2015
- Africa choir bringing soulful sound to town May 27, 2015
- Byars named as Amory School District superintendent May 27, 2015
- Summer reading programs remedy to literary brain freeze May 27, 2015
- Storms leave their mark on Monroe County May 27, 2015
- Monroe County School Board approves personnel changes for next school year May 26, 2015
- Johndoe: Does Glen Bingham even live in AMory....I thought ...
- John Doe: Does glen Bingham even live in the city limits of ...
- Herschell Pargo: I want to commend you for your work on General you...
- Linda Brown Pearce: I so enjoyed the Railroal Festival! I only got to ...
- michelle harris: Thank you for this great article on our Craig Wayn...