AMORY – The Amory School Board has named Amory High School Principal Ken Byars the new superintendent of the District effective July 1. Byars, who hails from Houston and previously coached football at several area schools, came to the district in January 2013 as principal of Amory Middle School, then went on to serve as […]
About Emily Tubb
Author Archive | Emily Tubb
AMORY – The Amory School Board approved the revision of the 2015-2016 school calendar May 11 to include weather make-up days in the event of school closings. Those days are May 23–27 and, as a last choice, April 8. According to the revision, additional days will be added the week after Memorial Day if needed. […]
AMORY – It was about a year ago that Kerrell McKissick, tired of all the negativity he was seeing, decided to try something new in his neighborhood. “There just isn’t anything to do around here for the kids, and I wanted to put something positive in their lives so some local residents got together and […]
AMORY – After a public hearing with no objections or comments, the board of aldermen approved Ordinance 1651, an amendment to a previous zoning ordinance, which will allow for a shooting range or gun club within the city. That means that plans for a handgun, shotgun and archery range will move forward with a tentative […]
NETTLETON – John Mark Bates retired from the United States Army in 2008, several years earlier than he planned to, due to post traumatic stress disorder. With his life derailed after his PTSD medication grounded him from flight school, Bates retreated into isolation – until a hunting trip changed his life. “This man down in […]
SMITHVILLE – What started as an emergency food providing service in 2010 has grown into a full-blown food pantry with a new building. The Smithville Helping Hands Food Pantry celebrated the dedication of its new building May 3. Located next to Mel’s Diner, the Court Street building and the land it sits on were both […]
Since spring has finally decided to arrive, Ray and I went out to the Amory Community Garden last week to plant our little plot, and I just assumed that, since we went organic last year, this year would be a breeze. The one constant I find in gardening is that I never know as much […]
SMITHVILLE – Two days after the fourth anniversary of the tornado that reshaped the town, Smithville students got a treat on April 29 when First Lady Deborah Bryant and Mississippi Emergency Management Agency Executive Director Robert Latham paid the school a visit and read “Disaster Preparedness: A Child’s Journey in Mississippi.” “We are trying to […]
AMORY – Art will be in the air May 7, and all are invited to enjoy the festivities at the 4th annual Amory School District Art Show at Amory Middle School from 4 until 7 p.m. Both the visual and the performing arts will be celebrated. “There will be artwork from AMS and Amory High […]
- Hoops for Hope offers basketball and fellowship May 21, 2015
- Panthers finish spring practice with scrimmage May 24, 2015
- Railroad Festival wrap-up meeting indicates good feedback for new format May 25, 2015
- Hitching Post owner is not a newcomer to restaurant business May 25, 2015
- Extreme Makeover: Post Office Edition May 25, 2015
- McCain, Noe lock down on defense in Game 2 May 27, 2015
- Repeat denied: Cathedral spoils Noles’ bid for back-to-back championships May 27, 2015
- Tronox’s sodium chlorate plant to close Nov. 30 May 27, 2015
- Amory residents charged with B&E May 27, 2015
- Africa choir bringing soulful sound to town May 27, 2015
- Johndoe: Does Glen Bingham even live in AMory....I thought ...
- John Doe: Does glen Bingham even live in the city limits of ...
- Herschell Pargo: I want to commend you for your work on General you...
- Linda Brown Pearce: I so enjoyed the Railroal Festival! I only got to ...
- michelle harris: Thank you for this great article on our Craig Wayn...