AMORY – The Amory Police are investigating an insurance scam on claims for roofing repair. An individual approached several homeowners in the Amory and Monroe County area saying that he would work with the homeowner’s insurance company on the roof repair. The contractor met with insurance adjusters about getting the claim filed and then the […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – A Back to School Bash is set for Saturday, Aug. 2, at West Amory Community Center. The event is sponsored by former Amorian Angela Lowe-Johnson. It will be held from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. and feature food, storytelling, inflatables, snow cones and entertainment. Local group, East Side West Side Connection will perform […]
AMORY – During a special-called meeting of the Monroe County Board of Education on Thursday, the 2014-2015 proposed budget was presented and no tax increase is expected. The county expects to receive $4,446,243 from local revenue, $10,757,658 from state revenue and $240,000 from federal revenue. In expenditures, instruction services, which includes teachers’ salaries and benefits, […]
AMORY – Hospital food isn’t what it used to be. Gone are the days of food that was tasteless and unrecognizable. Now the food not only looks great, but tastes good, too. It is also healthier. The patient and cafeteria menus at Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center is provided by Morrison Management Specialists (MMS). New […]
Jason Umfress, PhD, a 1996 graduate of Hatley High School, was recently named vice president for student affairs at College of Costal Georgia in Brunswick, Georgia. “I am honored and humbled to serve in this capacity at the College of Coastal Georgia. This is a big job, and I am grateful for the opportunity the […]
This year is the sixth year that Mississippi has had a sales tax-free shopping weekend, which usually coincides with back-to-school shopping. Amory and Aberdeen will again participate in the event set for July 25-26. In Mississippi, only two items are allowed during the tax-free weekend, clothing less than $100 and shoes less than $100. Cleats […]
SMITHVILLE – Amanda Lay grew up cooking with her mom and dad. “My family always cooked country vegetables such as fried squash and okra. My father liked to cook cakes and make homemade ice cream,” Lay said. Lay said she likes to cook interesting recipes and things that are fun to do. “I get most […]
AMORY – Lakeside Baptist Church in Amory and pastor, Ray Carroll, were recently honored to have a pastor friend of Carroll’s from India visit in the United States and Amory. Carroll met Pastor Naveen Chithai Bashpa and his wife, Sunitha, of Hyde Rahab, India, in 2005 when he spent several weeks working in India with […]
HAMILTON – Charles Smith of Hamilton uses his talents for smoking meats to benefit St. Jude and others. “The way Charles got started was our youth leader at Fig Hill Church of God wanted something to teach the kids to help others,” said wife Helen Smith. “They started doing a fundraiser for St. Jude’s.” […]
- Alley access subject of neighborhood quarrel July 24, 2014
- The freedom to speak and the freedom to speak freely July 24, 2014
- Depot project calls for volunteers with project expertise July 29, 2014
- W student accepted into Rural Physicians Scholarship Program July 29, 2014
- Mississippi’s early migratory game bird seasons announced July 29, 2014
- People urged to be aware of roofing repair scam July 31, 2014
- Back to School event set for Saturday July 31, 2014
- We Care for Kids Communitywide School Supply Drive is underway July 30, 2014
- Supervisors evaluate future fire truck purchases July 30, 2014
- Increased assessment holds Monroe County school tax steady July 30, 2014
- Meia: Hi ...
- Cletus Snow: #1, my name isn't John, Cletus or Snow. #2, I nev...
- Guest: 1st of all, my name is "John"... Nor is it reall...
- Letskeepamoryclean: You are very right John "Cletus" Snow. It will b...
- Equality Needed for All: Creekmore made a friend of mine move a fence and i...
- People urged to be aware of roofing repair scam http://t.co/did8ZKxpY5 51 mins ago
- Back to School event set for Saturday http://t.co/MF19kpveK2 46 mins ago
- We Care for Kids Communitywide School Supply Drive http://t.co/MvILpZFJgN 18 hours ago
- Supervisors evaluate future fire truck purchases http://t.co/NVXuUTkVQh 23 hours ago
- Increased assessment holds Monroe County school tax steady http://t.co/8R5pdMkTu9 23 hours ago