HATLEY – Only one person qualified for the Hately alderman race, and will automatically filled the alderman seat formerly held by George King, who took the position of mayor after the passing of Pete Vaughn in August. “Sandra Vaughn, the widow of the former Hatley mayor Pete Vaughn, is the only person who applied for […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – Carrie Wall grew up on a farm near Columbus, where her family raised nearly everything they ate. “We had all kinds of fresh vegetables and meats, milk, butter and fruit,” said Wall. “We also had an overflowing well.” When she married at an early age, she said she didn’t know much about cooking. […]
AMORY – It was a somber occasion at Oct. 7′s Monroe County Board of Education meeting as Superintendent of Education Scott Cantrell talked briefly about the loss of friend and board member, Don Self of Hamilton. Self was killed in a farming accident on Oct. 1. Self was an animated member of the board and […]
AMORY – Approximately three weeks ago, a trio of ladies – Betty Dabbs, Jewel Kyle and Fay Loden – started gathering to make turban hats for women who are taking cancer treatments. It began when a friend of Loden’s started taking chemo treatments and asked her to make her some turbans. Several years ago, Kyle […]
PRAIRIE – The Sorghum Festival held at the farm of Jonah and Shirley Lee on Saturday attracted approximately 250 people to an old fashioned way of life during the sorghum harvest. “We have friends who taught us how to cook sorghum. Not too many people know about sorghum any more,” Shirley said. The Lees have […]
AMORY – There are still some honest people in the world. Gilbert Whitehead of Smithville proved that on July 10 as he was getting into his truck after having some dental work done at Dr. David Boyd’s dental office. “As I started my truck, I looked down and saw something in an office clip. I […]
The Gaines Trace Water District was chosen as the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Rural Development Water System of the Year for 2014. The recognition is for achieving the highest level of sustainable water systems in the state and demonstrating exceptional operation and management as evidenced by financial and technical reports. Ralph Dill is the […]
AMORY – The annual Chili Cook-off and Fall Fun in Frisco Park will be held this year on Thursday, Oct. 30 from 5-7 p.m. “We are looking for chili entries from teams from our merchants, churches, clubs and other groups,” said Amory Main Street Manager Carol Knight. “We would like to have the teams signed […]
AMORY – The Amory Municipal Library is steadily increasing its supply of e-books for its patrons. The library has had e-books for approximately a year, but staff members wanted to wait until more books were available and all the kinks were worked out before letting the public know of the availability. “We just recently purchased […]
- Unofficial results indicate Amory will remain dry October 15, 2014
- Nettleton woman arrested for Possession of Ice October 17, 2014
- Amory Post Office honors a survivor among its ranks October 14, 2014
- Monroe County Career Technical Center holds annual fall festival October 18, 2014
- Monroe football scores: Week 9 October 17, 2014
- Jones gets revenge for Myrtle’s walks October 21, 2014
- Balanced Nettleton takes down North Pontotoc October 21, 2014
- ICC to present Homecoming Court Saturday October 21, 2014
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman October 21, 2014
- Hamilton man arrested for possession of a controlled substance October 20, 2014
- kyle ruff: I miss you...
- Business Owner of Amory: There is crime in Amory. There are drugs in Amory....
- louis vaughan: over the years I guess is what kept amory the cit...
- Laurenda: Excellent story Ray!!!...
- Ken Holmes: Gilbert Whitehead was an employee of mine while he...
- ICC to present Homecoming Court Saturday http://t.co/dnqnXXbzVB 45 mins ago
- Vaughn selected as Hatley alderwoman http://t.co/p4M3Y1mlMc 5 hours ago
- Hamilton man arrested for possession of a controlled substance http://t.co/OmWMMyrH1g 22 hours ago
- Amory police charge two with retaliation against a witness http://t.co/ZQCvJqW7wD 1 day ago
- Wall believes in quality and healthy food http://t.co/OSMeFeC8in 2 days ago