AMORY – River Birch Golf Club will be sold by Renasant Bank at some point in January, according to the course’s board president Paul Knox. “It has been a financial struggle from the beginning,” Knox said. “In the beginning, the golf club was in the county. It was incorporated into the city in the late […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
According to legend, the first cheese ball was made by Elisha Brown Jr. at his farm in 1801. It weighed 1,235 pounds and he presented it as a gift to President Thomas Jefferson at the White House. I have never known much about the history of cheese balls, except that I really like them. In […]
AMORY – Amory is the newest addition to Arcadia Publishing’s Images of America series. Amory Regional Museum Director Bo Miller and museum archivist Sue Brown have explored Amory’s development from its beginnings at Cotton Gin Port to its stake as a railroad trading post and the town that flourished from there. The authors said that […]
AMORY – Amory School District Food Services Director Steve Stockton approached the leadership team from the Amory Students for Change about creating the menus for the month of December for the high school. “They accepted the challenge and have done an incredible job,” said Stockton. Stockton said his goal for doing this project was two […]
AMORY – Thursday, Nov. 20, was declared Tyler Clay Day at East Amory Elementary School and Amory High School. The recognition was the idea of Will McComb at EAES. He and fellow student, Hannah Hoang, had had Tyler’s mother, Julie Clay, as their teacher in the past, and she was very special to the two. […]
AMORY – Even though Mandy Mitchell keeps busy as a pastor’s wife, mother of three and a social worker, she still finds time to cook good meals for her family. Mitchell’s husband, Chris, is the pastor of Amory Free Will Baptist Church. She is the social worker at the Freewill Baptist Children’s Village in Eldridge, […]
SMITHVILLE – Jason Bond and his sister, Rachel, will both be leaving this year to serve as missionaries for their church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rachel left on Sept. 30 for six weeks of training in Provo, Utah. She speaks a little French, but will be learning more. Rachel will then […]
AMORY – Grant and Joyce Owens have been serving their community for 50 years with either grocery items or advice. The Owens’ grocery store is a place for people to get physical and spiritual food. To the Owens’, the two go hand-in-hand. On Nov. 22, a Thanksgiving event was held honoring them for their service […]
With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, several community-minded events will offer people the opportunity to come together for fellowship to enjoy the holiday. Aberdeen • The North Mt. Olivet General Baptist District Association Brotherhood Ministry will sponsor its annual free Thanksgiving Day meal on Thanksgiving Day. Pick–up or delivery of the meal will begin at 11 a.m. […]
- Mother, son arrested for Evergreen burglary December 11, 2014
- Bost to retire as Amory Fire Chief December 11, 2014
- Cheese balls a tradition for Christmas gatherings December 14, 2014
- Deadline approaches for ICC’s Adult Learner Incentive Scholarship December 15, 2014
- Legislators touch on pre-session issues during legislative breakfast December 15, 2014
- Wave hand Bulldogs first loss December 17, 2014
- Greenwood Springs man faces drug charge, parole violation December 17, 2014
- Financial difficulties force upcoming sale of River Birch December 17, 2014
- Aberdeen taking hopeful steps towards new historical district December 17, 2014
- One vehicle accident claims life of Wren man December 16, 2014
- Diva: Nothing like doing the meth with the kids!...
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
- Greenwood Springs man faces drug charge, parole violation http://t.co/S36hkXWlcq 11 hours ago
- Financial difficulties force upcoming sale of River Birch http://t.co/IUg6zxmkbj 13 hours ago
- Aberdeen taking hopeful steps towards new historical district http://t.co/v59HIRoae5 15 hours ago
- One vehicle accident claims life of Wren man http://t.co/siESxFgGtx 1 day ago
- Land transforms from dairy farm to air strip http://t.co/BoOX4clW9g 2 days ago