AMORY — The 36th annual Amory Railroad Festival will go down in the record books as one of the best ever. The pilot who flies over and makes an approximate attendance number said he had never seen cars parked past the middle school before and estimated nearly 65,000 people. The all time record for attendance […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center’s annual Easter Egg Hunt will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, April 19, in Frisco Park. The event is for children 18 months to 8 years old only. Arrival time is at 9:30 a.m. There are to be no early arrivals. There will also be an opportunity […]
Several Monroe County Vocational Technical Center students recently competed in the Mississippi Technology Student Association. The 5057A robotics team is the TSA Vex Robotic State Champion, while the fashion design team also garners state champion status. The technology bowl team won third place. All three teams advance to the National TSA Conference in Washington. D.C., […]
AMORY – Amory High School’s horticulture program’s vegetable garden is seeking help from the community and friends by votes that could enable the group to receive a grant from Seeds of Change. Two $20,000 and 15 $10,000 grants will be awarded through the Seeds of Change Grant Program. Voting began April 1 and runs through […]
AMORY – Mention the Amory Railroad Festival and the first thing popping into mind are apple fritters. People line up at Bethel Apostolic’s apple fritter booth waiting on fresh, hot apple fritters. It is rumored that people will come from Memphis and other areas to the Railroad Festival and leave with a bag of apple […]
BECKER – Mary Jo Kirkpatrick was recently named School of Nursing Administrator of the Year at the annual Nightingale Awards held in Jackson. The award is sponsored by the Mississippi Nurses’ Association and the Mississippi Nurses’ Foundation. Kirkpatrick, chair of the Mississippi University for Women’s Associate of Science in Nursing Program, has been a faculty […]
For the Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma Society selected Debbie Fenstermacher as its Red Rose Recipient. She has been married to Loren Fenstermacher for 40 years. The couple has two children and five grandchildren. Fenstermacher has worked for Hamilton Schools for 26 years. She spent seven years as an […]
AMORY – Mary Donnelly Haskell and Friends will perform at the Ford Center at Ole Miss at 7 p.m. on Saturday, April 12. The Sounds of Stage and Screen will feature songs of Broadway and move musicals. Haskell has invited her daughter, Mary Lane Haskell; Marilu Henner; Guy Hovis; and the Buford Family of Greenwood. […]
AMORY – Burlington Northern Santa Fe’s presence behind Frisco Park is a reminder of Amory’s longstanding railroad heritage. This week marks the 36th year that the city has paid tribute to that history by way of the weekend-long Amory Railroad Festival. “We appreciate the presence of BNSF in our festival. They are really an asset […]
- County named in $500,000 lawsuit April 15, 2014
- Horticulture program seeks votes for grant competition April 14, 2014
- County vocational technical students win at state April 14, 2014
- Pair of inmates apprehended after Sunday night jail break April 14, 2014
- Amory police arrest Hamilton man on vehicle burglary charges April 14, 2014
- Lady Panthers rally late to over come Tish in division play April 16, 2014
- Update: Three people dead after Nettleton shooting April 16, 2014
- Week off from surgery feels like an eternity April 16, 2014
- Festival concludes with new levels of success April 16, 2014
- Garth named new Aberdeen High School principal for upcoming school year April 16, 2014
- former runner: I hope this program will get the financial support...
- Ronald: The pic your looking at is a different a Joshua an...
- DSG: I don't see a scratch on him??? Was that picture ...
- Here for Now: It's not like at least half the town isn't drink...
- Isn\'t This the 21st Century: Bishop Freeman I've eaten at O'charleys, Chilis,...
- Update: Two shot in Nettleton http://t.co/bmz939QvcS 11 hours ago
- Officer down in Nettleton http://t.co/5oXXnTumfG 11 hours ago
- Shooting in Nettleton http://t.co/tGCAuMzX3t 12 hours ago
- Festival concludes with new levels of success http://t.co/b9tVhaQWSw 17 hours ago
- Garth named new Aberdeen High School principal for upcoming school year http://t.co/ySeK4BJB2o 17 hours ago