AMORY – At the Monroe County Board of Education meeting on April 14, board members gave first approval to a Monroe County School District Student-Athlete Code of Conduct. Final approval will be given at the May meeting. Parents, as well as the student-athlete will have to sign the code, indicating their understanding and accepting its […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – The Amory Municipal Library will host Lunching with Books April 21, from noon until 1 p.m. Featured guests will be 15-year-old Abbey Swartzendruber and 12-year-old Gracie Swartzendruber of Smithville, and their grandmother, Del Aven of Oxford. Abbey and Gracie are usually known as violinists, but they have tried their […]
CAROLINA – Tommy Blake has been involved in competition barbecuing for five years. He is a member of the Kansas City Barbeque Society, and he named his team PE Little Thrigs, from the take Archie Campbell performed on “Hee Haw” on the Three Little Pigs. “I was always a backyard cooker, and one day my […]
AMORY – Allergy season is upon us and many people are suffering the effects of pollen with sneezing, itching eyes, runny nose, coughing, etc. Nasal allergy symptoms can be triggered by indoor (year-round) or outdoor (seasonal) allergens. Knowing which allergens you react to can help you and your physician make a plan for limiting your […]
AMORY – Even with all the changes made to this year’s Amory Railroad Festival, the 37th annual event was a record-breaking event in some regards like food vendor and carnival traffic. The entertainment stages had fantastic crowds all weekend. The Craig Wayne Boyd concert Thursday at the new stage at Frisco Park started out the […]
AMORY – Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center is continually adding new equipment and upgrading its facility to proactively serve and improve patient care for the community. Some of the improvements include new heating and cooling systems for critical locations throughout the hospital for the comfort in these areas. New roofing projects these past few […]
AMORY – Growing up, Annelle Johnston remembers sitting on a cabinet or a stool watching her mother cook. “I guess the first thing I cooked was two-flavor fudge at Christmas as gifts for my teachers,” said Johnston. “I’m sure my mother had to help me since I was only 12 years old.” She was close […]
1 I have been wondering for years why the picture on the front of a food package looks wonderful and when you buy it, open it up and cook it, it looks nothing like the original photo. That also applies to restaurant food. The hamburger may show lettuce and tomato, but when you buy it, […]
AMORY – The 37th annual Amory Railroad Festival will usher in several changes this year. “We are extra excited about this year’s festival. It has been exciting and stressful due to the construction of the splash pad in Frisco Park, but things have run smoothly.” said Heather Jones, Amory Railroad Festival chairperson. “The arts and […]
- One day you’ll want to be a know-it-all so learn as much of it now April 18, 2015
- CodeRED, preparedness plan tips for tornado season April 22, 2015
- Amory schools report improved finances, promising ACT scores April 23, 2015
- School district to implement athletic code of conduct April 23, 2015
- Touch-A-Truck event to be rescheduled April 23, 2015
- Panthers sweep on division road trip April 24, 2015
- Nettleton edges away late against Hatley April 24, 2015
- Lady Lions get aggressive to pound Lady Indians April 24, 2015
- Blessing of the Bikes reaches out to cyclists, novice and hardcore April 24, 2015
- Positive talk recurring theme for P16 Council meeting April 24, 2015
- Linda Brown Pearce: I so enjoyed the Railroal Festival! I only got to ...
- michelle harris: Thank you for this great article on our Craig Wayn...
- michelle harris: What a fantastic article about our Craig Wayne Boy...
- Ed Harden: Coach Pierce is the best man I have ever known. T...
- Laurenda: Hats Off to MCSD !!!! GLAD JUSTICE IS SERVED FOR O...