SMITHVILLE – A public meeting was held at Smithville Town Hall Sept. 16 for Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley to hear evidence as to why a water rate increase is needed for the rural customers of the Smithville Water Department. The water system served an average of 389 customers since last October. Whereas current rates […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – Amory High School senior Weston Colbert was recently named one of 17 Northeast Mississippi students as a National Merit Semifinalist. As a junior, he took the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test in October 2013. “I thought I did horrible on the practice and threw away the score sheet,” said Colbert. “I wasn’t […]
AMORY – Cindy Hathcock’s family cookbook, “No Small Source of Food,” which is filled with recipes from the J.E. and Irene Williams family from across the country. It was put together by her sister. The cookbook is a great legacy to leave for future generations. Hathcock began cooking when she was about 15 years old. […]
AMORY – Dr. Jeffery VanYperen has joined Dr. Vern Christensen at Foot Specialists of Mississippi in the medical and surgical treatment of the foot. The Tyler, Texas, native recently moved to Amory from Savannah, Georgia, where he was in private practice for two years. Known as Dr. Van, he received his bachelor’s degree in microbiology […]
NETTLETON – Back in April, the Friends of Nettleton Community Development Committee began planning for a festival for the city. A contest was held on Facebook and the winning entry of Town Creek Festival was submitted by Gail Senter. Before the railroad was built, Town Creek was a major shipping port and was home to […]
AMORY – A special needs forum was held Sept. 4, at St. James United Methodist Church with Empower Mississippi President Grant Callen as special guest. Callen told attendees that the Special Needs Choice Bill almost passed in the 2014 Legislature. “It will be back in the 2015 session. We are trying to build support for […]
ATHENS – River Bend Baptist Church holds a yearly fundraiser for Walking By Faith Ministries, which is the missions organization of church members Gary and Peggy Williams. The Williams have been ministering to people in Mexico and Honduras for 21 years. “We started out cooking on the back of the truck,” said Alton Reeves. “We […]
AMORY – At its regularly scheduled meeting Sept. 9, the Monroe County Board of Education approved adoption of the Itawamba Community College grading system and scale for all dual credit courses. This move will replace the Monroe County School District’s approved system and scale for only dual credit courses. The following numerical grades will be […]
NETTLETON – Nettleton Sonic was robbed at gunpoint about 11:52 p.m. on Thursday night, Sept. 18. According to Nettleton Chief of Police A.D. Heard, the suspect was a black male. He was carrying a small caliber gun thought to be a .22 pistol. “Pictures from the camera were of such poor quality that we could […]
- Aberdeen woman faces grand larceny charge September 29, 2014
- Retailer supplies blazers for Handa Cup opening ceremonies September 25, 2014
- Water rate increase meeting held in Smithville September 30, 2014
- Amory man charged with possession of contraband in a correctional facility September 29, 2014
- Amory senior named National Merit Semifinalist September 29, 2014
- Tigers finish nondivision with third-straight win of the season October 1, 2014
- MCSO arrests alleged Highway 45A shooter October 1, 2014
- Noles’ defense pitches shutout against Cougars October 1, 2014
- Tigers pound Mustangs early October 1, 2014
- Hamilton Post Office kicks off awareness month with annual event October 1, 2014
- Diva: Was she a home health worker? It is not clear as t...
- Jennifer: Amory is turning into another version of Aberdeen....
- caleb: I can trap beaver in Monroe ms trapperman201 4@yah...
- Belinda Sue Beckley: Dr.Neil Wanee was my Dr in Fishers, Indiana for 4 ...
- Doug Cuthbert: You are correct I am not registered to vote here. ...
- MCSO arrests alleged Highway 45A shooter http://t.co/N9pGSqqqxj 1 hour ago
- Hamilton Post Office kicks off awareness month with annual event http://t.co/jXxDmZIdUB 9 hours ago
- Volunteers of the Decade Award highlights Main Street awards http://t.co/YWeoHyy0k3 9 hours ago
- Main event changed for Smithville Smackdown event http://t.co/1dKp3B723i 22 hours ago
- October brings opening of squirrel, deer archery seasons http://t.co/fKOq29WRo8 1 day ago