ABERDEEN – Girl Scout Troop 20900 has 30 members. Leaders are Alonda Smith, Latoya Anderson, Angie Word and Nina Betts. Assistant leaders are Annie Pargo, Mary H. McMillian, Charlene Whitfield and Amanda Vasser. The proceeds from the annual sale of Girl Scout cookies go towards the memberships, T-shirts, camp, supplies, uniforms, snacks and trips. The […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – At the Feb. 10 meeting of the Monroe County Board of Education, Super-intendent Scott Cantrell informed the board members that as a result of the Ameresco project, the district had energy savings of $83,000. The district contracted with Ameresco several years ago on a project that would ultimately save the district monies on […]
AMORY – Approximately four months ago, First United Methodist Church formed a team of lay people from its congregation to begin praying and discerning how their church might begin to engage their community in ministry in a new way. “As pastor, I believe strongly that the local church serves as an extension of God’s […]
AMORY – Sid Salter, director of Public Affairs at Mississippi State University, was the guest speaker at the Amory Rotary Club’s Feb. 19 meeting. He was MSU’s National Alumnus of the Year in 2004 and has also been a Mississippi syndicated political columnist for more than 30 years. He shared with the group about Mississippi […]
AMORY – The annual East Amory Elementary School Media/Book Fair, held on Feb. 2, was a tremendous success with more than 200 students, plus parents and others attending the event. This year’s theme was “The Wizard of Oz.” The main display was a group of teachers, staff and parents who had dressed up as characters […]
AMORY – Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center is sponsoring a Spring Wellness Luncheon and Fashion Show at noon on Thursday, March 5 at River Birch Place in Amory. The event will feature local women modeling the latest spring fashions from retailers in Amory and Aberdeen. This year’s emphasis will be on the importance of preventive […]
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Garden Club held its annual luncheon on Feb. 13 at Aberdeen First United Methodist Church. The luncheon is the club’s fundraising event, which supports a variety of projects benefitting downtown Aberdeen. The main project is filling the downtown flower pots with seasonal flowers. The club prepares lunch for approximately 200 people […]
AMORY – Amory Career and Technical Center hosted the annual Non-Traditional Career Awareness Day on Feb. 12. Students in STEM classes at the center heard a variety of speakers including nurse anesthetist Rick Gault; Becky Walton of Walton’s Nursery and Greenhouses; Javantae Ingram of WTVA News; Graham Powell of East Amory Elementary School; Jennifer Tomey […]
AMORY – Amory High School’s 2015 National Honor Society Induction ceremony was held on Feb. 2, with 26 juniors and four seniors being inducted. The school has made some changes to its awards programs for this school year to prevent a conflict with state testing. The change from morning to evening will also benefit many […]
- Saga continues regarding bridge project in Aberdeen February 27, 2015
- App allows user to interact with police department March 4, 2015
- Luncheon to give thanks to storm first responders March 4, 2015
- MCSO advises against travel during potential wintry weather March 4, 2015
- Former Aberdeen resident awaiting extradition in sexual battery case March 4, 2015
- Supervisors approve name for new airport terminal March 6, 2015
- Chamber touts teamwork for advancement March 6, 2015
- Friday weather closings, delayed starts March 5, 2015
- Bulldogs get sweet revenge on East Side March 5, 2015
- Lady Tigers pound Lady Trojans for state trip March 5, 2015
- Danny Majors: Did the course get purchased lately?...
- Janice Cain: Thanks for that article. I am Presbyterian and man...
- Diva: This lady along with an Amory native, Jo McDivitt,...
- chris: Please notify of related post to krystal and kyle ...
- monroeme: 5 alderman and one recused himself...where I went ...