About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
Six weeks ago when I had total knee replacement, I had apprehensions about what to expect. All I had to go on was what I had heard and researched. I have to say that I have been really blessed throughout the surgery and recuperation. I came home with pain medicine and used it for a […]
AMORY – At the regularly scheduled Monroe County Board of Education meeting on Jan. 12, the board approved resignations of Linda Blevins as Hamilton assistant teacher, end-of-year retirement; Alva Kay Howell as Hamilton assistant teacher, end-of-year retirement; Aaron Welch as Hamilton substitute bus driver; Jeannie Pearson as Hatley bus driver; Kelby Williams as Advanced Learning […]
ABERDEEN – Kenneth Tisdale’s mom was an Ole Miss home economics major, and he started cooking at a young age under her direction. His father is in the funeral business, whom Tisdale enjoyed grilling alongside. If he was called out on funeral business, Tisdale would take over the grilling duties. “My mom was big at […]
AMORY – The Amory Rotary Club recently heard an update on developments through the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway Development Authority from the entity’s director, Craig Stepan. Stepan gave the club information on the economic and social impacts of the waterway. Today, the waterway, which covers 240 miles, has 10 lock and dams with 17 commercial ports and […]
AMORY – Since 2007, Cheri Williams has hosted a neighbor ladies breakfast on the second Saturday in December. All the ladies who live on Trace Church Road, Camellia Lane and Azalea Lane are invited. Ladies in the neighborhood exchange “happies” by putting them in the mailbox. This is Williams’ gift to her neighbors. “I also […]
This column is a tribute to my husband, Mario. We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary on Dec. 26. What attracted me to him in the first place was his intelligence. He was, and is, one of the most widely read people I know. When I met him, he knew something about everything. I don’t mean […]
AMORY – Bill’s Hamburgers, which has been in business since 1929, is expanding. Reid Wilkerson bought the restaurant in October 2003 and in those years, seemingly someone has asked about the restaurant serving breakfast. Wilkerson now lives in the Nashville area, and his son, James, and daughter, Crysta, run the restaurant, who will own up […]
AMORY – Amory Park and Recreation Department’s East Amory Community Center Young at Heart group looks for any excuse to have food. On Dec. 10, after the group’s exercise program, members had finger foods in celebration of the Christmas season. The 55 and over group meets Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for exercise, games and other […]
I love Christmas! The opportunity to have a reason for giving gifts to loved ones and those who are less fortunate makes the holiday season even more special. I do get caught up in getting presents for those I love, but I do know the reason for season. The birth of Jesus Christ. Without His […]
- If not the truth, the conspiracy theories are out there February 6, 2016
- MCSO arrests three on meth charges February 10, 2016
- Panthers thwarted in state championship finals February 10, 2016
- Johnston joins Monroe Journal staff February 11, 2016
- Job shadowing is another idea of keeping us out of the shadows February 11, 2016
- Nettleton dual-sport athlete Long signs with ICC February 13, 2016
- Total knee replacement was easier than I expected February 13, 2016
- MCSO arrests three for drug charges February 12, 2016
- Lady Noles, Noles come out on top over rival Hamilton February 12, 2016
- McKissick leads Lady Panthers to victory February 12, 2016
- Diva: Thank God I won't be called for jury duty on this...
- carrollwhite: Come to Aberdeen on our street you can smell it al...
- Kim Stringfield: There have been a lot of huskies come up missing i...
- Laurenda Provias Richardson: Very well written Ray !!! All the memories ... All...
- shanette: Good for MCSO! I hope this case will bring much ne...