AMORY – At the Monroe County Board of Education’s June 14 meeting, Monroe County Superintendent of Education Scott Cantrell told the board that he was seeking historic landmark designation for the original Hatley High School building from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History (MDAH). The school, which was built in 1940, needs the historical […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – Kim Steele and her mother, Charlotte Pate, have been co-owners of Country Kitchen for six years. “I always wanted to own a restaurant and cooked a lot at home,” Steele said. “In 2007 after being out of school for 27 years, I went to college and got a business degree. I love it […]
Voters in the Monroe County School District will decide Aug. 16 if the district can issue $10 million in bonds for physical improvements at its campuses. “The district is obviously on new ground with requesting a special election for the purpose of issuing bonds for renovation and new construction. I’ve not researched past board minutes […]
AMORY – Justin Haynes, pastor of Bigbee Baptist Church, has been cooking since he was a kid. “My mother said we all had to learn to cook. I was homeschooled and spent a lot of time with my mother in the kitchen. Since I was the oldest, I helped her get the meals ready,” Haynes […]
AMORY – After several requests at the city level, the Mississippi Department of Transportation will install a 4-way stop sign at the intersection of Main Street and Second Avenue S June 16. Since the opening of the popular interactive water fountain in Frisco Park, there has been a tremendous increase in vehicle and pedestrian traffic. […]
AMORY – At its June 7 meeting, the board of alderman amended and adopted a new rental ordinance for the city. According to city attorney John Creekmore, the ordinance is fully complaint with the recent Mississippi Supreme Court rulings dealing with landlord-tenant laws. The ordinance, known as the Rental Inspection and Property Licensing Act (RIPLA), […]
AMORY – Merit Health Gilmore Hospital hosted a seminar luncheon on April 19, which focused on Medicare free preventive screenings. Dr. James Woodward of Merit Health’s Hamilton Clinic was the speaker. Woodward, who has been a physician for 31 years, talked about the wellness program of Medicare and Blue Cross/Blue Shield, which include four focal […]
CAROLINA – Peggy Watson said she has been cooking for so long she doesn’t remember what she cooked the first time, but it was probably vegetables, she said. “I had to learn to make cornbread and biscuits,” Watson said. “The first time I made biscuits, they were hard as rocks.” Watson loves to can better […]
AMORY – Local surgeon Dr. Woody Brand has been going on medical mission trips with Hispaniola Mountain Missions (HMM) out of Jackson to Haiti and the Dominican Republic (DR) for four years, but a recent procedure brought that token of work to Monroe County. He first came involved when HMM was planning a trip to […]
- Closed door discussion dismisses on positive note between county, U.S. Marshals June 20, 2016
- Nettleton’s Ferguson gives back to school June 23, 2016
- Aberdeen man loses life following traffic accident June 23, 2016
- Bike nights to be held in Vinegar Bend June 24, 2016
- Several activities encompassing Aberdeen Fourth of July festivities June 24, 2016
- Aberdeen School District holding budget hearing June 27, 2016
- Westlake Chemical to acquire shares of Axiall Corporation June 27, 2016
- Landmark designation sought for Hatley School June 27, 2016
- Customers at Country Kitchen are like family June 26, 2016
- Amory represents in Miss Mississippi Top 5 June 25, 2016
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....
- Carlos Ann Sanders: Congratulations to the Amory Panthers and to Coach...
- Anti-bigot: This article is a joke just like this county and t...
- Average Joe: Finally, an article that embodies the true spirit ...
- Mary C. Vandiver-Spann: Yes I also Thank you Alice. I agree in is also poo...