Mental illness affects young and old not only in Monroe County, but in rural counties across the nation. The people of Monroe County are fortunate to have not just one, but two choices for mental health care. One hidden gem addressing mental health issues in Monroe County is Pioneer Community Hospital of Aberdeen, which has […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – In addition to mental health services, Lifecore Health Group also offers medical care. Its medical mobile unit comes to Amory every Thursday. Lifecore accepts all types of insurance and if someone does not have insurance, there is a sliding fee based on income. Medical care is also available Monday through Friday at the […]
Captain Brandon Davis, criminal investigator with the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, said the department wants to warn the elderly and senior citizens of Monroe County about phone calls supposedly from the Internal Revenue Service. “The IRS is not going to call and ask for money over the phone,” said Davis. “These calls are not even […]
AMORY – Melissa Moore has been the dietary manager at River Place Nursing Center for nine years. She was about 12 years old when she started as a candy striper at Daniels Nursing Home in Fulton. “I got my dietary license in 1979, since this is all I ever wanted to do,” said Moore, who […]
AMORY – Will Lewis of JBHM Architects updated the Monroe County Board of Education on the status of the Hamilton and Hatley dome safe shelters. Phase II approval was received from Mississippi Emergency Management Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (MEMA HMGP) and bids were received. Century Construction will construct both shelters. The construction dates have not […]
AMORY – Amory Career and Technical Center will be holding a basic welding class for women on Monday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 until 8:30 p.m. The dates for this non-traditional night class are Sept. 14, 17, 21, 24 and 28 and Oct. 1, 5 and 8. The cost for the class is $95, which […]
NETTLETON – Mayor Jimmy Taylor has tendered his resignation effective Aug. 19. Taylor, who was sworn into office in 2013, has moved to Pensacola, Florida. “We placed our house on the market, and it sold before we thought it would. We thought we would buy a place in Florida and rent it out until my […]
AMORY – One of the oldest homes in Amory, the home and office of Dr. G.S. Bryan, located at the corner of 5th Avenue South and 4th Street South, was built in 1890. Dr. Bryan, who was one of the first doctors to set up practice in Amory in 1889, bought the home in […]
AMORY – The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) has named a portion of U.S. Highway 278 in Monroe County after late Mississippi Rep. William Jerome Huskey of Westville. The William Jerome Huskey Memorial Highway is the portion of U.S. Highway 278 in Monroe County beginning in Amory and then extending southeast to the Mississippi/Alabama state […]
- One for the legend, two the memories: Son of the late Carl Perkins shares a little about his rockabilly daddy August 21, 2015
- Tigers roar for season-opening win August 26, 2015
- Cougars take advantage of Lions’ mistakes in route August 26, 2015
- Panthers fall on road at MRA August 26, 2015
- Reward continues to increase in shooting case August 26, 2015
- Monroe County residents have access to good mental health care August 28, 2015
- Affordable medical care offered through Lifecore August 28, 2015
- Noles come from behind against Cards August 27, 2015
- Bulldogs build up depth at quarterback August 27, 2015
- Bulldogs’ rally comes up just short August 27, 2015
- Michael: That's why we need better sidewalks and crosswalk...
- Body of missing Bartlett fisherman found - Bartlett ExpressBartlett Express: […] an earlier story about the search effort...
- Helen Whitten: How would itawamba county go about getting these r...
- debbie jones: Why in the world is the bond so low? Is $5000 all ...
- Linda: These folks were operating in Nashville several ye...