AMORY – Grant and Joyce Owens have been serving their community for 50 years with either grocery items or advice. The Owens’ grocery store is a place for people to get physical and spiritual food. To the Owens’, the two go hand-in-hand. On Nov. 22, a Thanksgiving event was held honoring them for their service […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, several community-minded events will offer people the opportunity to come together for fellowship to enjoy the holiday. Aberdeen • The North Mt. Olivet General Baptist District Association Brotherhood Ministry will sponsor its annual free Thanksgiving Day meal on Thanksgiving Day. Pick–up or delivery of the meal will begin at 11 a.m. […]
AMORY – The Amory Main Street Fall Festival, held on Frisco Park on Oct. 30, was a tremendous success. More than 1,500 people were estimated to have attended the event. There were more than 20 chili entries in the chili cook-off competition. After judging, the following chili recipes were chosen as first-, second- and third […]
AMORY – Helping with sports medicine in college seems like a glamorous job at a glance, but it is really hard work and a long commitment. Kelsey Cadden of Amory has been involved with the sports medicine department at Ole Miss for almost as long as she’s been enrolled there. The junior travels to all […]
AMORY – Approximately 400 people attended this year’s salute to veterans sponsored by Community Bank, which was held at the Amory National Guard Armory. The event has been held for more than 25 years. “Community Bank is honored to be able to sponsor this event every year. What began over 25 years ago with a […]
For the Monroe Journal As of Nov. 15, Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center is able to help area residents learn about and enroll in health insurance options on the Health Insurance Marketplace. As part of the Affordable Care Act, most U.S. citizens are required to have health insurance beginning in 2014. During the first enrollment wave, […]
For the Monroe Journal The Eldridge Benefit Team consists of motorcycle and antique car enthusiasts from Northeast Mississippi and Northwest Alabama joining hands with the community to lend support in financial aid and awareness of the Eldridge Children’s Home in Eldridge, Alabama. Since 1948, this home has given a home to children in all age […]
AMORY – The Wright Cabin at the Amory Regional Museum has been temporarily closed due to repairs. “The inside of the cabin is good, but the outside that is open to the weather needs work,” said Bo Miller, museum director. “If we don’t fix it, we are going to lose it.” The cabin was built […]
AMORY – The Culinary Arts classes at Amory Career and Technical Center are selling frozen entrees as a fundraising project. The culinary class #1 is doing the “mise-en-place,” which is the prep work and the culinary class #2 is preparing and assembling the food. Instructor Dianne Young has assembled an array of dishes that will […]
- Access Family Health Clinic awarded $250,000 grant November 20, 2014
- Aberdeen man arrested for breaking and entering November 24, 2014
- Amory police search for robbery suspects November 24, 2014
- Veterans reconnect nearly 47 years after life-saving rescue November 25, 2014
- French town adopts grave of fallen Aberdeen WWII soldier November 25, 2014
- Earlier loss motivation for Wildcats November 26, 2014
- Quick start doesn’t pay off for Bulldogs November 26, 2014
- Missing Monroe County man located November 26, 2014
- Owens Grocery serves Amory for 50 years November 26, 2014
- Aberdeen Lake lands three major 2015 fishing tournaments November 26, 2014
- James R White: At least you share the same frustration that Chris...
- D. Stan: So what are they hiding? If it is questionable wou...
- john: Its astonishing to me that its 2014 and people are...
- my3sons: Thank you for this article Emily. It is very well ...
- D. K.: Anyone knows that the more evil of the two is hard...
- Missing Monroe County man located http://t.co/Oj9a1j4XCH 5 hours ago
- Authorities continue search for missing man http://t.co/goBPPtSPMS 8 hours ago
- Owens Grocery serves Amory for 50 years http://t.co/SUCrVjYmE4 12 hours ago
- Aberdeen Lake lands three major 2015 fishing tournaments http://t.co/6nXouBXiOk 12 hours ago
- Love them while we’re all here together http://t.co/8pwzJ5Q8tj 12 hours ago