GREENWOOD SPRINGS – Ruth Kimbrough thinks she was about 8 years old when she started cooking. Her mother was often sick and with four kids in the house, she had to help cook. “I think the first thing I cooked was fried potatoes in a black skillet and cornbread. We ate a lot of potatoes. […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – Dr. Benjamin Boatright joined Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center’s Amory Gastroenterology Clinic in early August. He shares an office with Dr. Joseph Bailey and Family Nurse Practitioner Tim Watson. Boatright, a native of Oxford, played football at Ole Miss and completed his residency and gastroenterology fellowship at the University of Mississippi School of […]
HATLEY – In a special-called meeting Aug. 19, the Hatley Board of Alderman discussed plans for an election to replace Hatley Mayor Pete Vaughan, who died unexpectedly Aug. 9. According to state requirements, a notice must run in the local newspaper for three weeks. Qualifying will begin Sept. 10, which is 20 days before the […]
AMORY – During the annual convention of Mississippi Association of School Superintendents (MASS) and the Alliance of Educational Leaders of Mississippi held in July, Monroe County Superintendent of Education Scott Cantrell was elected to serve as president-elect of MASS for 2014-2015 and president for the 2015-2016 school years. This year MASS celebrates 45 years of […]
Some Monroe County residents are finding it’s not even safe to answer their phones today. The caller ID looks suspicious as it’s showing the person’s own phone number or that of a business or residence that’s not actually calling. How can this happen? Phone numbers are being used in a scam called “spoofing.” Fay Loden […]
NETTLETON – Friends of Nettleton Community Development will hold the inaugural Town Creek Festival on Sept. 27, beginning at 9 a.m., and featuring arts, crafts, food, music and other events throughout the day in the downtown area. The committee is accepting all types of food and merchant vendors, including handmade crafts, art, retail, food trucks […]
HAMILTON – Sunni Parker is proud of the fact that she has had a large garden this year for the first time and has taught herself to preserve food. “I worked in a garden and helped my mother when I was growing up, but I had never had a garden of my own until this […]
Commuters and residents on Highway 8 east of Aberdeen can breathe a little easier now since mobile home transports from manufacturers in Alabama are no longer allowed to travel that section of road. As of Aug. 8, the Mississippi Department of Transportation began restricting trailers over 70 feet from Highway 8 that connects Highway 25 […]
AMORY – The log cabin at the Amory Regional Museum is in dire need of roofing and other repairs. Museum director Bo Miller is initiating a “Save the Cabin” campaign and is asking everyone to pitch in and help raise funds to make the repairs. “The cost for the repairs will be in excess of […]
- Nettleton Town Creek Festival seeks vendors August 25, 2014
- Tigers drop heartbreaker to Cougars August 28, 2014
- Knight makes smooth adjustment at QB for Seminoles August 28, 2014
- Subjects from standoff could face multiple charges August 28, 2014
- Aberdeen aldermen approve hires August 29, 2014
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 53 of nation’s newest citizens September 1, 2014
- MHP issues statewide Amber Alert August 31, 2014
- Kimbrough’s cooking comes from a country raising August 31, 2014
- Lady Panthers win Monroe County tourney August 30, 2014
- Bond set for subjects arrested in standoff August 30, 2014
- Doug Cuthbert: You are correct I am not registered to vote here. ...
- weedeater: Great job for Amory's new mayor! Shoot down the ...
- Frank James: How in the hell was he not charged with intent to ...
- Fred G Sanford: Get Greg Beason to sell some of the scrap junk he ...
- MeriemDZ: Fourteen years ago I walked up on the porch of the...
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 53 of nation’s newest citizens http://t.co/Ydb28CVRkC 7 hours ago
- MHP issues statewide Amber Alert http://t.co/If2YMG629e 15 hours ago
- Kimbrough’s cooking comes from a country raising http://t.co/rLDsyxJ1g8 1 day ago
- Bond set for subjects arrested in standoff http://t.co/o4sWQh7iBe 2 days ago
- Cotton Transition Assistance Program enrollment begins http://t.co/H58zS4HRGX 2 days ago