WREN – Coontail/Wren community writer Mary Cunningham, 84, died March 23 following a recent bout of cancer. Cunningham started writing her community news for the Aberdeen Examiner and the Amory Advertiser in the summer of 2006 after the passing of former Coontail News writer Rena Williams. She closed her final column, which ran in the […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – Tupelo business owners Sheryl and Andy Graf have bought River Birch Golf Club and change has come swiftly with a new name, ACKIA Golf Club. “I am looking forward to being a part of the Amory community,” Andy said. “I know the uncertainty concerning River Birch Golf Club has been a stressful time […]
SMITHVILLE – Smithville Baptist Church’s Brotherhood held its annual wild game supper on Feb. 28 with keynote speaker Mississippi State University Director of Player Personnel Rocky Felker. The more than 50 men dined on deer chili, elk chili, rabbit stew, deer meatballs, deer summer sausage, deer tenderloin, fried and grilled, white beans and wild hog […]
AMORY – Hatley High School senior Evie Martin hosted a prom dress fundraiser March 7 for the Amory Food Pantry. “I came up with the idea after searching ways to reduce the cost of a prom,” said Martin. “I found a prom dress drive on DoSomething.org. After throwing the idea around, I thought about holding […]
AMORY – Teresa Stanford, DNP, FNP, BC was the featured speaker at the 2015 “Look Good, Feel Good” Wellness Luncheon and Fashion Show sponsored by Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center on March 10. Stanford is a nurse practitioner at Family Medicine Clinic in Amory and works part-time as a hospitalist. She was one of the […]
AMORY – The Monroe County Board of Education approved the SMILES dental program March 5 via teleconference while icy conditions loomed outside. The dental program offers preventative services to all students regardless of any dental coverage with dental hygiene education provided. “The selling point for the SMILES program was an access to preventative dental care […]
AMORY – The 2015 Community Bible Study Conference and Ministry Fair will be held March 20 and 21 at Meadowood Baptist Church. This year’s theme is “Being the Hands and Feet of Christ.” Amy Lancaster, who was the keynote speaker at the 2014 conference, will again lead the conference. Lancaster and her husband are the […]
BECKER – Cooking and selling her specialties is a way for Mathinee Spencer to raise money for the marathons she has runs in throughout the years. Spencer began running about six years ago, and has run in three of St. Jude’s Marathons and is currently training for the Nashville Country Music Marathon. Spencer is originally […]
AMORY – The Amory Regional Museum is displaying some of Steve Brandon’s photography in an exhibit entitled “Wild: The Photography of Steve Brandon” will run through the middle of April. The exhibit, featuring 30 photos, has been donated to the museum by Brandon. The photos will be used as a fundraiser for the museum and […]
- Purchase, name change tee up River Birch for big changes March 25, 2015
- Gilmore hosts annual wellness luncheon, fashion show March 20, 2015
- Bond amount set for Amory man arrested on ICE charge March 25, 2015
- Tigers’ comeback falls short to Urchins March 25, 2015
- Presley and Publishers Clearning House issue joint statement on Jamaican lottery scams March 25, 2015
- Indians rally late over Panthers March 27, 2015
- Lady Noles endure in tough pitching matchup March 27, 2015
- Supervisors accept county administrator’s resignation March 27, 2015
- Amory names new utility department superintendent March 27, 2015
- Volunteers asked to help clean up Amory March 27, 2015
- steve stanford: a military discount would be nice. my son-in-law ...
- carrollwhite: Sad to hear about our deputies, prayers for the 2 ...
- Truth seeker: the real story here is this woman Tried to beat th...
- Jeremy: Alice, You appear to be making two different ar...
- Ken W Holmes: Alice, the first time the ploy of "revenues going...