AMORY – Glynda Gadow has been cooking since she was about 14 years old. Since her mom and dad owned a grocery store, she and her sister, Barbara, had to learn to cook. “We would cook supper and mother would come to the house, get the food on a tray and take it back to […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
In the almost 23 years I have been at the newspaper, I have covered a lot of school award programs and graduations. Graduations are most definitely is not the time or place to wear a cap. Caps are not to be worn inside a building. They should always be removed when going into a building, […]
AMORY – At the May 10 Monroe County School Board meeting, Monroe County Superintendent of Education Scott Cantrell shared with the board a new school communication system from Apptegy that is revolutionizing content distribution for school districts. Board members were able to communicate with Casey Mikula of Apptegy via phone and video about the benefits […]
ABERDEEN – The Riverview Garden Club hosted its annual fundraiser luncheon during the Aberdeen Pilgrimage at the First Baptist Church. Money raised goes toward the club’s beautification projects like memorial gardens, Acker Park, a pocket park at the corner of Meridian and Commerce streets, Christmas luminaries down Commerce Street’s median and fresh flowers for the […]
AMORY – The hard work members of the Amory High School rocket team has put in since last August paid off when they placed 14th in the nation at the Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC) held in Washington, D.C. May 11-16. Amory, the only team in Mississippi who qualified for the event, competed with 99 […]
ABERDEEN – The annual Keep Monroe County Beautiful luncheon will be held at American Legion Post 26 May 18 beginning at 11:30 a.m. The luncheon, which is free, is held in appreciation for all the volunteers do to help with litter pickup and clean-up in the county. Guest speaker at the luncheon will be Congressman […]
AMORY – Nicholas Gillespie of Amory has done extensive research on the gemstones of the Bible. There are 34 gems listed in the Bible, and Gillespie has an example of each in his collection, which is on exhibit at the Amory Regional Museum through the month of May. “A friend’s mother got me interested in […]
AMORY – Melinda Ford learned to cook from her mother, grandmothers and watching “Frugal Gourmet” and other cooking shows. “The first thing I made was a Boston Cream Pie,” Ford said. “My dad worked for the Quaker Oats Company and received free samples. One time he got a kit for making a Boston Cream Pie, […]
AMORY – On May 14, the Amory Post Office letter carriers will be picking up non-perishable food donations, which will be donated to the Amory Food Pantry. This food drive is hosted each year by the National Association of Letter Carriers as part of their annual Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive. The food drive was […]
- Riverview Garden Club hosts luncheon May 22, 2016
- Shooting incident raises questions about party ordinance May 26, 2016
- Hatley’s Seals rewarded for her perseverance through injury May 26, 2016
- Communities honoring those passed with Memorial Day ceremonies May 27, 2016
- Aberdeen PTO presidents host parent forum May 27, 2016
- Social Security Center: Shame on you May 29, 2016
- Gadow shares some of family’s favorite recipes May 29, 2016
- Mental Health and you May 28, 2016
- Leave the caps at home May 28, 2016
- MCSO seeks whereabouts of Nettleton man May 27, 2016
- Cindy Wilkerson: Thank you to the mayor and to the board of alderme...
- Ellen Redding-Jordan: May she rest in Peace, I meet her and her husband ...
- Gregv Worthey: I couldn't possibly disagree more!! While admitti...
- Jeanette Sudduth: She was a sweet person I got a chance to video her...
- S. Robbins: Every Mayor that's serious about having a good fa...