AMORY – The first of three fall health seminars at Merit Health Gilmore Memorial was held Sept. 1. Approximately 40 people filled a dining area at the hospital to hear Dr. Ben Boatright talk about the need of a colonscopy. Boatright’s great sense of humor made the often taboo subject easy for the crowd to […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – Amory High School will host its first Vex Robotics Competition (VRC) at the National Guard Armory on Highway 25 on Oct. 7. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m., followed by practice fields opening at 9, qualification rounds from 10:30 to 1:30, alliance selection from 1:30 to 1:45, and 2 to 3:30 are elimination rounds. […]
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – The time is finally here to join the fight against hunger! The Hunt for Hunger Program was created to help gather hunters to provide venison for the needy through the Amory Food Pantry. This program was started 11 years ago by Martha Dalrymple and James Cummins. The first year […]
NETTLETON – Jamie Taylor of Nettleton has been cooking since she was nearly 12 years old. Her mother was in nursing school, and Taylor and her sister helped their dad. The first thing she remembers making were biscuits that her dad taught her and her sister to make. He also taught them to make gravy. […]
AMORY – Jared Thompson officially received his International Federation of Body Building and Fitness (IFBB) Pro Card in June 2015 when he took first place in his fourth Nationals Show Junior Nationals. He is now an official bodybuilder. It took two-and-a-half years for him to reach that goal, and he is considered young to have […]
AMORY – Merit Health Gilmore Memorial’s October health seminar and luncheon for Oct. 5, “Mammograms and You,” will feature board certified general surgeon Dr. Hoat Hoang. The seminar will be held in Gilmore Memorial’s cafeteria from noon to 1 p.m with lunch provided. Attendees are asked to RSVP by noon on Oct. 1 at 256-6005, […]
The annual Trash & Treasures Along the Tenn-Tom takes place Oct. 2 and 3. Vendors can set up anywhere along the waterway route with permission from property owners. In Monroe County, Smithville and Amory will be participating in the event. The City of Amory is waiving the fees for yard sale permits in town for […]
AMORY – Amory High School sophomore Noah Swan recently built his aunt, Michelle George, a doghouse that truly has the same characteristics of a house. It even has shingles and a front porch. “Aunt Michelle said she wanted a doghouse, and asked me to build her one. So, I did,” Swan said. Swan watched his […]
AMORY – As a young man, Mike Brummitt didn’t want to go to college. His mother worked at a college, and told him if he was going to college, she would continue to work. If he wasn’t, she would retire. His mother did retire when he told her he didn’t want to go. He did […]
- Amory native officially named pro body builder October 3, 2015
- Defense leads the way in Bulldogs’ division opener October 7, 2015
- Panthers stun Indians in double overtime division opener October 7, 2015
- Supervisors accept lone bid for garbage truck October 8, 2015
- MSU archeologists making local stop at Amory museum October 8, 2015
- Just in case you weren’t already aware… October 10, 2015
- Paranormal group explores spirited history of Gilmore Sanitarium October 9, 2015
- Nerd talk: Podcast exposes underground entertainment and tries to ‘Kill Pop Culture’ October 9, 2015
- Moore leads as Noles top Falkner October 8, 2015
- Tigers open up division play with road win October 8, 2015
- shelia allen: i have said this before and I will say it again yo...
- Michael: That's why we need better sidewalks and crosswalk...
- Body of missing Bartlett fisherman found - Bartlett ExpressBartlett Express: […] an earlier story about the search effort...
- Helen Whitten: How would itawamba county go about getting these r...
- debbie jones: Why in the world is the bond so low? Is $5000 all ...