The 65th annual National Day of Prayer will be held on Thursday, May 5. The day is an annual observance held on the first Thursday of May, inviting people of all faiths to pray for our nation. The National Day of Prayer was created in 1952 by a joint resolution of the United States Congress […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
SMITHVILLE – Northern District Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley held a town hall meeting April 12 at the Smithville Community Center to give Monroe County citizens the opportunity to voice their concerns about the lack of natural gas service, high-speed Internet and cellular phone in their area. Presley informed the group of approximately 25 people […]
AMORY – Trent Harmon’s grandmothers, Betty McLeod and Betty Harmon, said they knew he was special from a small boy. “I knew he was going to be famous one of these days. He was the first grandchild and has entertained us all of his life,” McLeod said. “I remember Cindy bringing him to my house […]
AMORY – Amory is again receiving notice as the high school’s rocket team will, for the third year in a row, go to Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC) in Washington, D.C., May 11-16. Only the top 100 teams are invited to the National Finals. Amory is the only school in Mississippi to qualify for the […]
AMORY – The Monroe County Board of Education approved an agreement for the 2016-2017 school year with the Smiles to Go dental program. More than 400 students were seen free of charge last school year. Volunteers with the dental program see the students twice a year, and the service has been very beneficial to the […]
AMORY – Local artist, John Ward, has been sharing his artistic talents with Golden Living’s staff and residents. During National Volunteer Week, April 10-16, Ward displayed some of his works in an art show at Golden Living. He started visiting from his church and reading to the residents. Then he started reading them books from […]
ABERDEEN – Sara Gardner and Susan Langford, mother-daughter owners of the Cottage Tea Room, have been teaching folks about tea for the past six years during the Aberdeen Pilgrimage about a Proper Tea. She and a friend went to a Proper Tea in Kentucky one time in an antebellum home. She bought a book and […]
HATLEY – For the first time in 23 years, students and faculty at Hatley Attendance Center will see a new face in the principal’s office beginning in July after longtime principal Van Pearson retires at the end of June. Pearson has been in education in Monroe County his entire career. He spent three years at […]
AMORY – The cook of the week called and canceled at the last minute on Tuesday, so I was racking my brain as to what to do. Bingo! I thought I am cooking things for my daughter, Kelly, since she is on spring break in Georgia and is coming to visit and go to the […]
- Blue Wives taking donations for National Police Week April 28, 2016
- Harmon’s grandmothers share some of his favorite recipes May 1, 2016
- Vaughan honored with Wright Brother’s Master Pilot Award May 2, 2016
- SYTYCD show finalist and actor brother teach classes at AIM May 2, 2016
- East Amory students display talents through poster competition May 3, 2016
- Lady Tigers bats back up Payne’s effort May 4, 2016
- Lady Noles complete sweep of Falkner May 4, 2016
- Lady Lions no-hit their way through Ray Brooks May 4, 2016
- Amory track qualifies several for state May 4, 2016
- Monroe County reservists deploy to Middle East May 4, 2016
- Laurenda Richardson: Thank You Ray !!!! Very good article!!!...
- Shanette Loan: There was a time in my life that I waited for the ...
- Bessie: This is a blessing! I worked with Lori many years ...
- Deb Webb: Hey Trent- I loved your voice from the beginnin...
- Demetrice Herron: That is awesome... May god bless the both of you!!...