AMORY – Friends Jolie Bishop and Hannah Hoang recently decided they wanted to raise money to benefit local families, and thought the Amory Food Pantry would be a good choice. The girls did all the work. Hannah’s grandfather, Andy Love, carried her to the store to buy everything they needed the night before. They made […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
Growing up, we always had homemade ice cream during the summer months. A favorite of mine was vanilla made with a can of fruit cocktail, drained and mixed in with it. I can still see and taste it all these many years later. While I loved homemade ice cream, but I did not like […]
AMORY – The Monroe County School Board approved personnel items for the upcoming school year at its June 9 meeting, including the resignations of Emmanuel Buchanan from Hamilton and Steve Kerr, Yoland Kerr and Kelly Coleman, all from Smithville. The board also approved the recommendations of Kimberly Chase, Gaylynn Cantrell and Ginger McAlester for Hatley; […]
AMORY – Growing up Dianne Grisham Young saw her mother sew clothes draperies, do needlework and cook all kinds of good foods. “After my dad got out of the service, he went to Ole Miss Pharmacy School on the GI Bill,” said Young. “They got one check the first of the month, and my mother […]
Kindergarten students in Monroe County schools made remarkable improvement in the literacy skills tests between online assessments administered last school year. Kindergartners who took the assessment, first given last August, had to show strengths in areas such as reading comprehension and phonemic awareness. The top finishers in gains out of 144 districts, in order, are […]
AMORY – Penny Leech-Freed was strictly vegan for a long time, but recently she added fish to her diet. “I was so strict and rigid for so long, and decided to give myself a break and eat some fish,” said Leech-Freed. “I physically feel better if I eat vegetables.” She is a yoga instructor and […]
For the Monroe Journal Monroe County School District was recognized at the recent statewide conference of Program of Research and Evaluation of Public Schools (PREPS) for receiving an Involvement Award. The PREPS Involvement Award is given to school districts in recognition of significant involvement in PREPS programs and activities. The award recipients have had the […]
AMORY – In late 2011, Bill Caldwell had a torn meniscus that required surgery. During that time, bike riding and running were both out of the question. “My only exercise outlet was swimming and after several months, I became comfortable with swimming long distances. Post-knee surgery and with a lot of encouragement from Amory friends […]
AMORY – The Amory Regional Museum is currently hosting two exhibits in one produced by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. The exhibition entitled “Stand Up: Mississippi Freedom Summer of 1964” shows photos of Freedom Riders registering African-Americans to vote. The second is “Murder in Neshoba” about the three Civil Rights workers who were […]
- ICC schedules second summer term registration June 27, 2015
- Panthers take pair of games at NEMCABB July 1, 2015
- Amory Main Street ringing in the Fourth one day early July 2, 2015
- Mayor urges patience during interactive fountain construction July 2, 2015
- Gas leak forces evacuation in Amory July 2, 2015
- Amory’s Pate signs with ICC July 3, 2015
- Opinions will wave long after the state flag issue dies down, so learn to tolerate them July 3, 2015
- Amory girls sell lemonade for food pantry July 3, 2015
- Amory Shootout gives football teams early measuring stick July 2, 2015
- Voter registration ends Saturday July 2, 2015
- Linda: These folks were operating in Nashville several ye...
- Ty: If what the writer said were true,minor traffic st...
- Ray Van Dusen: That contact number is 640-2043. Have a blast if y...
- KMyhand: Any contact information or details on how to book ...
- Johndoe: Does Glen Bingham even live in AMory....I thought ...