A little glance at what makes my blood boil
I have discovered as I age that my list of pet peeves is increasing. I’m not sure if I am losing my patience, which was never a strong point with me anyway, but I had gotten much better, or maybe I’m just getting old and cranky. Probably the latter.
Wikipedia.com says a pet peeve is a minor annoyance that an individual identified as particularly annoying to himself (or herself), to a greater degree than others may find it.
Merriam-Webster says a pet peeve is something that annoys a person very much.
For what it’s worth this is a list of some of my pet peeves:
• Litter and throwing out trash on the highways or streets. There is a local store in my mind with a front ditch and side property covered in trash. It may not be their trash, but they could at least have someone pick it up.
• Walking across a parking lot and having to look at a dirty diaper thrown on the ground.
• Crying children in public places. If a child starts crying or having a fit, take them out of the restaurant or wherever you are at. Nobody wants to hear your child scream.
• Parking in handicap spaces when a person is not handicapped.
• People who do not identify themselves on the phone
• Call waiting. If you are talking to someone, don’t tell them to wait a minute while you take another call. I hang up.
• Buying junk food, soft drinks, etc., with food stamps.
• 20- or 30-somethings checking out at the grocery store with food stamps. There may be a reason they have to use them, but they certainly look healthy to me.
• People who go to the food pantry and then go out and sell what they received.
• Needless meetings.
• Kiosks in the mall that are run by people who hound you to try their products. No, means no.
• Going through the drive-thru, then having to go back when they mess your order up.
• When someone with a full cart of groceries gets into the 10 items or less line.
• Dirty restaurant and convenience store bathrooms.
• Pants on men that are too short or too long.
• Men wearing shorts and socks that come half way up the leg.
• Someone opening a cabinet door or drawer and leaving it open.
• Throwing gum on the pavement or sidewalks where it is stepped by somebody else on when entering a business.
• Having to walk past people who are smoking outside to enter a business.
• Finding a favorite product and then it is taken off the market.
• Having a store constantly change where items are placed.
• Being unkind to the elderly. Apparently, I am considered elderly now, but I mean people who really are old.
• Not treating everyone like they are a person of worth.
• Rude people in offices and businesses who treat some people better than others.
• Wearing flip flops, short shorts and a winter jacket in the middle of winter. Wearing shorts and a jacket with 30 degree temps.
• People who use the Monroe Journal for freebies and then buy their advertisements in another publication.
• If you are conservative, people automatically assume you are Republican. I’m sure there are some conservative Democrats out there.
I have to stop while I am ahead on this. I have more, but I will save them for a future column. If you have pet peeves, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Maybe we can start a blog about pet peeves. It feels good to get the peeves off my chest.
Alice Ortiz is a staff writer for the Monroe Journal. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Reflections of festival bring to mind the tacky and the classy
- Amory Main Street offering a host of upcoming events
- There’s nothing like that warm, fuzzy feeling
- Changes equal improvements for 2015 Railroad Festival
- Slow down and think before leaving children unattended in cars
- How to build authentic character in youth sports
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Alice Ortiz
- Closed door discussion dismisses on positive note between county, U.S. Marshals June 20, 2016
- ICC signs former Aberdeen standout June 23, 2016
- Nettleton’s Ferguson gives back to school June 23, 2016
- Aberdeen man loses life following traffic accident June 23, 2016
- Bike nights to be held in Vinegar Bend June 24, 2016
- Westlake Chemical to acquire shares of Axiall Corporation June 27, 2016
- Landmark designation sought for Hatley School June 27, 2016
- Customers at Country Kitchen are like family June 26, 2016
- Amory represents in Miss Mississippi Top 5 June 25, 2016
- MDWFP advises people to leave fawns alone June 25, 2016
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....
- Carlos Ann Sanders: Congratulations to the Amory Panthers and to Coach...
- Anti-bigot: This article is a joke just like this county and t...
- Average Joe: Finally, an article that embodies the true spirit ...
- Mary C. Vandiver-Spann: Yes I also Thank you Alice. I agree in is also poo...