Policy requires students’ attendance for 63 percent of school day
A new Senate bill stating that students must be present for at least 63 percent of their instructional day has been implemented for Mississippi schools for the 2013-2014 school year.
“Previously, if you were there at 8 a.m. you were considered present but it will not be like that any longer,” said Amory School District Superintendent Tony Cook.
According to Cook, some of the $166,000 in Mississippi Adequate Education Funding money lost was due to average daily attendance.
“Our emphasis is that we need students at school so they can achieve at the highest level possible. When students are not in school, they are missing important instructional time. Of lesser importance is the fact that attendance also influences school funding. Money is very important, but student achievement is our major concern,” said Cook.
Instructional time does not include lunch and time between classes which accounts for roughly 45 minutes a day. Based on a 330 minute instructional day, a student must be present 63 percent of the time, or 208 minutes of the day. The breakdown of time equates to more than four class periods, so basically a student can only miss two classes in a school day and still be considered present.
“Everyone needs to understand that students have to be present. You can’t just come and check them out without that student having the consequence of an absence. It’s really an individualized thing. It’s 63 percent of each students’ instructional time,” said Aberdeen School District Conservator Bob Strebeck.
- Student attendance vital for funding, performance
- Legislative Update: Feb. 18, 2014
- School board discusses shortfall, upcoming changes
- Stricter compliance for house bill means higher standards for ASD
- Amory schools request ad valorem increase following budget hearing
- School board votes on long-term substitute teacher pay cut
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Emily Tubb
- Haynes loves grilling and smoking meats June 19, 2016
- Davis named state sheriff’s association’s Deputy of the Year June 23, 2016
- Comers celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- ICC signs former Aberdeen standout June 23, 2016
- Nettleton’s Ferguson gives back to school June 23, 2016
- Amory represents in Miss Mississippi Top 5 June 25, 2016
- MDWFP advises people to leave fawns alone June 25, 2016
- Rivals to roommates: Kennedy, Thompson form lasting friendship through ICC softball June 24, 2016
- Hatley’s Thomas already at home going into season June 24, 2016
- Miss Amory wins Miss Mississippi preliminary June 24, 2016
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....
- Carlos Ann Sanders: Congratulations to the Amory Panthers and to Coach...
- Anti-bigot: This article is a joke just like this county and t...
- Average Joe: Finally, an article that embodies the true spirit ...
- Mary C. Vandiver-Spann: Yes I also Thank you Alice. I agree in is also poo...