Forbus, Boyd lead Amory in first round against Lafayette
AMORY – Tied at halftime with their season on the line, the Amory Lady Panthers rose up to win their first-round playoff game on Thursday night.
Adjustments in the midfield and two second-half unassisted goals from Bailey Boyd were the difference as Amory beat Lafayette 4-2 to move on to the second round of the MHSAA Class 4A playoffs.
“Our center midfielders, Bailey Boyd and Bailey Oswalt, were stellar in the second half,” Amory coach Nathan Clayton said. “We were finally able to get it together in the last 40 minutes.”
Addie Forbus, the state’s career goals leader, got things off to what looked like a hot start for the Lady Panthers, scoring in the 3rd minute.
Alley Houghton, who finished with all three of Lafayette’s goals, tied it up in the 23rd minute and pushed the Lady Commodores ahead with another goal in the 37th minute.
Forbus tied things up with her second goal of the game, less than a minute before the break.
Boyd broke up the 2-2 tie in the 63rd minute with her first goal and responded with the game-winner just three minutes later, as Houghton made a penalty kick for Lafayette in the 70th minute.
“I was excited when the first one went in,” Boyd said. “In the second half, we played hard, and the ball just landed in the back of the net for us.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Melissa Meador
- Harmon’s grandmothers share some of his favorite recipes May 1, 2016
- Amory officials accommodate Main Street for handicap access May 4, 2016
- Aberdeen aldermen move forward with sidewalk project April 29, 2016
- Possible EF-0 tornadoes spring from severe storm system May 4, 2016
- Ward heading to Tampa Bay Bucs as free agent May 4, 2016
- Ostrowski’s walkoff caps off Panthers’ Saturday comeback May 5, 2016
- Seminoles rally in final two games to top Hawks May 5, 2016
- Water Valley pulls even with win over Nettleton May 5, 2016
- Harmon headlines night one of Elvis Festival May 5, 2016
- Local school districts adjust to cuts in MAEP funding May 5, 2016
- Judy Crump: What a wonderfully creative solution to a long-sta...
- Alexis: Definitely going to try the chicken and rice recip...
- Laurel Hanson: Thanks very much for these recipes! I know I will ...
- cindy: Arts (music, visual, etc.) are an important part o...
- Laurenda Richardson: Thank You Ray !!!! Very good article!!!...