Aldermen vote to reduce incoming mayor’s salary
AMORY – The board of aldermen voted Jan. 15 to reduce the salary of the incoming mayor from $76,000 to 65,000 per year during it’s regular-called meeting.
“As of July 1, we will have a new mayor and I think we can all agree that money is tight,” said Ward 1 alderman Buddy Carlisle.
The $11,000 difference will be absorbed back into the general fund.
In other business, a final budget of $30,000 was established for the KaBoom! playground at Gilmore Park.
“To spend the full amount of the grant, which is $15,000, the city will have to match that. It’s a 50/50 split,” said city clerk Lee Barnett.
The playground, which will be a community build project, must be completed by September and will include an omni-spin and playing structure.
The board also discussed the possibility of future additions to the playground.
In other business, the board approved:
-A request for the purchase of ads supporting both Emma Kate Avery and Randi Kathryn Harmon in the upcoming Miss Mississippi pageant.
-A request to revise the fees of Ordinance No. 1660 – Public Access to Public Records.
-A request to accept Atwell & Gents recommendation of the lowest and best bid from Taylor Power Systems for emergency diesel generator sets and automatic transfer switches.
-A request to reimburse the police department for a travel expense of $105.25. Police Chief Bowen was reprimanded by the board for not getting pre-approval for travel. Under state law, the city is not required to reimburse travel expenditures, even if for official purposes, unless approved prior to the trip.
In an executive session, Monroe County Chamber of Commerce director Tony Green met with the board to discuss an industrial prospect. No action was taken.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Emily Tubb
- If not the truth, the conspiracy theories are out there February 6, 2016
- Aberdeen aldermen discuss potential revitalization project February 10, 2016
- MCSO arrests three on meth charges February 10, 2016
- Panthers thwarted in state championship finals February 10, 2016
- Johnston joins Monroe Journal staff February 11, 2016
- MCSO arrests three for drug charges February 12, 2016
- Lady Noles, Noles come out on top over rival Hamilton February 12, 2016
- McKissick leads Lady Panthers to victory February 12, 2016
- Supervisors approve TRVWMD resolutions February 12, 2016
- Seeking 7 steps one step back, two steps forward with latest album February 12, 2016
- Diva: Thank God I won't be called for jury duty on this...
- carrollwhite: Come to Aberdeen on our street you can smell it al...
- Kim Stringfield: There have been a lot of huskies come up missing i...
- Laurenda Provias Richardson: Very well written Ray !!! All the memories ... All...
- shanette: Good for MCSO! I hope this case will bring much ne...