Aldermen vote to reduce incoming mayor’s salary
AMORY – The board of aldermen voted Jan. 15 to reduce the salary of the incoming mayor from $76,000 to 65,000 per year during it’s regular-called meeting.
“As of July 1, we will have a new mayor and I think we can all agree that money is tight,” said Ward 1 alderman Buddy Carlisle.
The $11,000 difference will be absorbed back into the general fund.
In other business, a final budget of $30,000 was established for the KaBoom! playground at Gilmore Park.
“To spend the full amount of the grant, which is $15,000, the city will have to match that. It’s a 50/50 split,” said city clerk Lee Barnett.
The playground, which will be a community build project, must be completed by September and will include an omni-spin and playing structure.
The board also discussed the possibility of future additions to the playground.
In other business, the board approved:
-A request for the purchase of ads supporting both Emma Kate Avery and Randi Kathryn Harmon in the upcoming Miss Mississippi pageant.
-A request to revise the fees of Ordinance No. 1660 – Public Access to Public Records.
-A request to accept Atwell & Gents recommendation of the lowest and best bid from Taylor Power Systems for emergency diesel generator sets and automatic transfer switches.
-A request to reimburse the police department for a travel expense of $105.25. Police Chief Bowen was reprimanded by the board for not getting pre-approval for travel. Under state law, the city is not required to reimburse travel expenditures, even if for official purposes, unless approved prior to the trip.
In an executive session, Monroe County Chamber of Commerce director Tony Green met with the board to discuss an industrial prospect. No action was taken.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Emily Tubb
- Harmon’s grandmothers share some of his favorite recipes May 1, 2016
- Amory officials accommodate Main Street for handicap access May 4, 2016
- Local school districts adjust to cuts in MAEP funding May 5, 2016
- Aberdeen School District receives first clean audit in eight years May 5, 2016
- Riverview Garden Club celebrates 40-year anniversary May 5, 2016
- Tigers’ comeback over Troopers falls short May 6, 2016
- MCSO makes drug arrests May 6, 2016
- Lions’ season ends in extra innings loss May 6, 2016
- Relay for Life needs team and individual support May 6, 2016
- Volunteers needed for Aberdeen literacy camp May 6, 2016
- Judy Crump: What a wonderfully creative solution to a long-sta...
- Alexis: Definitely going to try the chicken and rice recip...
- Laurel Hanson: Thanks very much for these recipes! I know I will ...
- cindy: Arts (music, visual, etc.) are an important part o...
- Laurenda Richardson: Thank You Ray !!!! Very good article!!!...